Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FEED the LICH (Lich Theft System improvement)

kapn655321

Reflecting today on how little my Lich steals.
Specifically, that I (myself) want to fill their dragon's hoard.
Gonna be putting him off for a while 'till the new updates, and that's perfectly fine.. but In the meantime...
I'd love a way to niceguy flex on my Lich (and myself in a few months) by giving them immeasurable wealth.

What are they even doing with my stolen goods if they don't use them? Saving it for a rainy day?
Their lockers aren't any more full of my goodies. ...if they steal enough over long enough, they should be reasonably well off, right? In theory?
Surely that either contributes to their operational cost or lines their own pockets, right?
Their team, abilities, demeanor, aesthetics, weapons, facilities, & drop tables aren't any different.
"Yoink." -Lich    ...and That's It.
What if we give them a, "rainy day?" Would they spend it? (I am a veteran Hydroid after all.. Rain and loot are things I can offer.)

You may be thinking: "Umm.. Why would anyone else do this, you madman?"

• Dare the Grineer (/Lich) to have everything in tip-top shape for your arrival!
  • Overstock their lockers! Steal back bits from their hoard through area's lockers to ratchet up their annoyance level faster.
  • Let's see some Opulence and Ostentation. Add visual swag to their tiles. (Fewer sparks and fires. More banners and showmanship.) "Have your best roll out the red carpet for my visit."
  • Invest in effecting their aesthetics, drop pools, influence/minions, and Harvest Them.

These aren't just any cattle... these are the finest, most pampered Lich this side of the Origin system. (Ethically sourced / cageless.)
At their best, and in their favored element: Our prized cash cow. (You know how some people want to take the scuffs out of their Orbiter's paint job?)
Greater depth to their theft mechanic, our agency, and personal long term investment in our Lich.
Maybe we'd, "invest more," emotionally in our Lich's potential, and what it means to us?
Also, gives a purpose for excess drops you no longer need to receive.
Have modifiers to all aspects of Lich to reflect how much we sink into it, over however long.
Trading custom aesthetically leveled cosmetic armor plating would also create a deeper economy for Lich hunters.

How would they implement something like that?
This got me thinking about mechanics that might allow us to engage/influence their livelihood, their theft, and what that process means.
Have a security measure to change % of theft from Lich.. with a way to corrupt it in their favor.
Darvo, Maroo, or someone could offer, "software," to obscure your drops to mitigate the theft.
(This NPC could also contract a bribe for your Lich to take some time off. Access a console through the NPC's location and Lich room in Dojo.)
"You might be interested in this, Tenno.. It's a security device that can protect you when your Lich tries to steal your goods."
"..I guess technically it can also, turn up how much they're allowed to access; I don't know why you'd do that but I suppose, it's a 'feature', right? Here. Use it wisely."

Adjust the sensitivity of how much of your loot they take.
Have levels of setting.. the highest being seriously lenient or generous.
Letting them steal more to slowly improve their aesthetics, weapon, and drop tables.
Payoffs could also lower their annoyance level.

• Level 1 security: Nothing stolen.
  • Level 2 security: OFF (where it is now.)
  • Level 3 security: "Oops! All Berries." able to give vastly more.
    Lich-snacks.jpg

Feast or Famine
Have the Physique of mobs and Murmur targets reflect your rationing.
Add an entirely new dimension to their permanence:
Either starve them through a War of Attrition, or keep them comfortable and contented..
The less opportunity they have where they are, the more they branch out to scavenge.
The more opportunity, they lower their annoyance level gains, and likelihood they seek new territory.
..unless they have a personality quirk that flips that around.. Megalomania, War path, whatever you'd call it.
Likewise, if the Lich DOES spend some of our their ill-gotten goods.. create vectors for personality traits and annoyance to influence that..
The rate at which all individual conditions are affected by their success, can also be variable.
The happier a Lich keeps their Murmur units, the less Murmur they give up.
The more miserable, the faster they give up murmurs... and viola, we have our own controlled way to modestly affect our murmur grind.
(Fewer points of pain, with More reason to keep engaging our delayed reward.)
A less, "samey," system that we create for ourselves, with our choices, sacrifice, and advantages.

Rations.jpgFrom Oregon Trail

Diplomacy.
"I just can't bring myself to kill you, Tenno... because if I did right now, I'd be BROKE! Hahah!"
Bribe them to leave a territory or not spawn in for a few days.
What if they grew to like you? Or you grew to like them?
How about we convert them without putting a dagger in their noggin'?
Eventually, perhaps contribute to whether they are strong enough to repel enemy invasions or desperate enough to retreat.

Afford your Lich some time off.
Lich's video feed pops us, showing them relaxing on a tropical island getaway.. (..on our dime? What a cheeky devil!)
Have your Lich take a vacation! Temporarily vacate the normal nodes, and create a new one.
One that you can interrupt in a Dog Days type mission to chase them back onto their respective planet(s).
Vacation event: Beat them in a water gun fight, and they, "get back to work," The longer they vacation, the more credits they drain from their hoard.
Annoyance level drops accordingly while on Vacation.
Perhaps leave a node or two behind with Murmurs still on duty (with no Lich spawn.)
They resent that the boss is on vacation while they stay back and work, and give more murmurs progress as a result, for being put in that situation.

TL;DR:
Bribe and fund a more interesting Lich through NPC and theft manipulation, resulting in array of aesthetic and functional differences.

Edited by kapn655321
  • Like 4

Sending your lich on invasion missions sounds great, so you put down 3 liches to get to 3/3 to get the reward in your inbox when the invasion is over - but they're also unavailable while fighting the invasion for you until the invasion is over.
I would really prefer lich allies if I could get them all ornate, maybe even equip themselves with some orokin scraps like Vor did as a captain.

Overall I'm really into making liches more in-depth and having fun with keeping them around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navarchus said:

Sending your lich on invasion missions sounds great, so you put down 3 liches to get to 3/3 to get the reward in your inbox when the invasion is over - but they're also unavailable while fighting the invasion for you until the invasion is over.
I would really prefer lich allies if I could get them all ornate, maybe even equip themselves with some orokin scraps like Vor did as a captain.

Overall I'm really into making liches more in-depth and having fun with keeping them around.

I would imagine their role in invasion being something with either Converted Lich, or through the NPC bribe system.
If it's a bribe or through investment, they keep the earned invasion reward in their hoard.
If it's a convert, you get the reward.

Edited by kapn655321
  • Like 1

I'd like Liches to function as troops you can send on missions, a bit like how the Brotherhood functions in Assassin's creed Brotherhood and Revelations. being able to further improve their weapon damage and power strength would be nice, as would being able to call them on command with your Gear wheel,  or having them as a crew member aboard the Railjack (supposedly gonna happen).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, (PSN)Yggranya said:

This would also make him stop asking me if i remember him every time i log-in.

Yep. This was something I touched on in the topic from a slightly different angle: the ability to make them vacate a planet through starving them out or bribing them.