Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Kalimtar, the Collector (Grim reaper theme)

Spyro_Haze

"Relax... just... let go..." "I will raise again... wil you?"

This is Kalimtar, the Collector, the Ferryman. He already awaits you.

This is highly inspired by Thresh from LoL and Nidus. Basically a reaper, popular concept, but there are abilities i would really like to see and play arround in game. Warframe is intentionally energy hungry and not able to restore energy on its own, because we have a lot of means of gaining energy in game already. I just realised this could be great frame to play solo and utilize specters.

Stats:

Health: 100/300  shields: 125/375  armor: 100  energy: 125/188  sprint: 1,1

Trait

Harvest: Every enemy killed on the map (except those affected by soul punch or tribute) leave a small wisp (soul) behind which despawn after 120 seconds. Kalimtar collects souls up to 3m away from him. Kalimtar gains 1 bonus armor per 3 stacks of Harvest and 1% increased total weapon damage per 10 stacks. Collecting a soul restores 4% of max shields (can go into overshields). Aditionally, Kalimtar may use 100 stacks to revive him self if he runs out of revives during the mission. To prevent absurd stacking in infinite missions collecting souls grants stacks of Harvest. First soul is worth exactly 1 stack, while every next soul is worth 0,999% of the previous one. Soul value is capped at 0,125 (8 souls for 1 stack) which happens on 2079th soul collected. (With this rule 100th soul will be now worth 0,9 of stack of Harvest, 500th soul will be worth 0,6 of stack, 1500th 0,22 ect. Collecting 100 of them grants 95 stacks, 500 grants 393 stacks, 1500 grants 777 stacks.)

Abilities:

Light at the end. 25 energy.

Tap once to release a fast moving projectile in a straight line. Tap again to stop projectile and transform it into a beacon (or when it collides with terrain or enemy, in that case enemy will be staggered aswell). Beacons slowly drag all souls arround towards them. 10/12/14/16m radius. Enemies within radius are slowed by 9/11/13/15%. Beacons gather souls. Up to 1/2/3/4 Beacons can be active at once. When within 3m from a Beacon allied players can interact with it to be instantly teleported to Kalimtar (whos location is brightly highlighted to them as long as they are within 3m from active Beacon). Kalimtar may pick up one Beacon by walking over it. When he carries a Beacon his collect radius is doubled (6m) and this one Beacon's range and soul drag speed are increased by 50%. This one beacon doesn't collect souls, it immediately transfers them to Kalimtar. Hold ability button to remove your every beacon and collect all souls those contained. Beacons last 45/50/55/60 seconds. Each beacon's timer is stopped for as long as it remains withing Kalimtar affinity radius. Beacons which expire transfer souls to Kalimtar but burn up to 60% of cast cost energy (15 by default).

Breath of the underworld. 50 energy.

Kalimtar releases a wave of spectral energy 2m arround him and in a thin cone in from of him with 10/12/14/16m range. 100/115/130/145 base damage distrubuted equally between cold, impact, slash and puncture damage. 100% cold status effect. Enemies have a chance to be frozen in place instead of cold status effect for its duration. Damage and freeze chance are increased with Harvest count. Every 10 stacks give 1% chance. Total damage = base damage * ability strength * (1 + 1/15 of stacks)

Spectral walk. 50 energy

Kalimtar enters ghost plane. All status effects and debuffs are removed. Kalimtar cannot damage or be damaged during the duration. Kalimtar can move freerly at 50% (not affected by mods) +1%(affected by ability strength) per 10 stacks of Harvest, increased speed. Lasts 9/10/11/12s. Every enemy within 3m radius (not affected by mods) is marked for death and takes 21/24/27/30% increased damage for the duration of this instance of Spectral walk and 5/6/7/8 seconds after it ends. Enemies immune to status effects are not affected. Kalimtar is able to collect souls and cast Light at the end while Spectral walk is active, but cannot cast other abilities or use weapons.

The Pact. 75 energy

Kalimtar links himself with allied Warframe (can be cast on specter). Ally is granted weapon and armor bonuses which Kalimtar has from his trait. Ability modifiers (strenght, range and duration but not efficiency) are equalized for both warframes. If one frame has higher stat than the other, other one's stat is increased to this treshold (example: if Kalimtar has 130 ability strenght and is connected with Mesa that has only 115 ability strenght, Mesa will have 130 ability strenght for the duration). If both frames have a certain modifier lower than 113/126/139/150% (not affected by mods) it is instead raised to this treshold for both frames. Duration: 21/24/27/30s. Cast range is 3m. Casting animation takes 2 seconds. Pact is not canceled with distance but it grants bonuses only when ally is withing Kalimtars affinity radius. Kalimtar restores 2/3/4/5 hp for every enemy that ally with The Pact on kills. Only one ally at a time can be target of The Pact. Example of possible HUD indicator for this ability and the trait HUD.

Edited by Spyro_Haze
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spyro_Haze said:

Soul Collector: Every enemy killed on the map (except those affected by soul puch or tribute) leave a small wisp (soul) behind which despawn after 120 seconds. Kalimtar collects souls up to 3m away from him. Kalimtar gains 1 bonus armor per 3 souls collected and 1% increased total weapon damage per 10 souls collected. Collecting a soul restores 4% of max shields (can go into overshields). Aditionally, Kalimtar may use 100 souls to revive him self if he runs out of revives during the mission.

This looks like it has some potential, maybe too much potential. There isn't a cap on the armour or damage gain and I can see the rate at which it grows is small because of this. It goes without saying there should be a cap and, if you want, a small increase to the rate at which the buffs grow. The shields and revive are a nice touch 👍 (Also it's a passive)

cold, impact, slash and puncture

Probably the weirdest damage spread on a single cast ability I have ever seen. This appears to be the main source of damage so I can understand what you are going for in terms of low damage to begin with then scaling up to something usable but the results are a bit over the top. Using the provided equation;

145 * (2.0 [200% str]) * (1 + (100 [1500 souls])) = 29290 (30k damage w/ 1500 souls collected) 

(should have a cap)

+1%(affected by ability strength) per 10 souls,

Cap it... bop it... twist it...

If one frame has higher stat than the other, other one's stat is increased to this treshold

I don't think I've seen this done before but that is probably because of how overpowered it could potentially be. Consider a squad of four who all specialize in a single dump stat. When pact is active all members of that squad would have;  +300 strength . 280 range . 175 efficiency (190 when it applies) . 306 duration. I like how in any given situation it provides a buff like in a pub where there's no communication between squad members, but in the setting where that communication is present this frame could be exploited in ways that would make individual builds irrelevant (in other words Kalimtar would change the very landscape of Warframe builds).

Most of my problems with the kit are due to the scaling having no cap. A possible solution to this is increasing the rate that the bonuses are granted and providing a cap. The revive in the passive only being usable after normal revives run out is one way of making sure he is balanced but if the souls are collected with no cap and are never used (this is not a resource like in other frames, i.e. Nidus) only 100 souls seems a bit low for revive. 

Just some things to think about

- Good Luck, Have Fun -

Edited by Be_Stupid

@Be_Stupid Overall you are right but i don't think you realise how long it takes to kill 1500 units AND grab their souls. How tough enemies will start to be in endless missions when you achieve that ? Nidus has way higher damage and noone complains ;). Damage distribution, it is just cold + physical, don't think its that weird. The main thing about it was having no cap but super low values (opposite to Nidus), so I'm definately not changing that. Also this ability has way higher cost and does not restore energy like virulence. I really don't think this ability is a problem. Also he is not very tanky, it is bonus armor, not addition to base armor, so mods don't increase it.

I don't think you read how The Pact is supposed to work, in my idea you can only target one person at a time. You can recast it but you are connected to only one player at a time. Also it is stated that it doesn't work on efficiency. I know you have good intentions, but please read carefully.

If you really think souls are broken, solution can be creating formula that makes first soul worth exactly 1 and every next soul 95% of the previous one (the longer i think about it, it seems like the most fair solution). This way, later on in endless mission player needs multiple souls the get single stack. Doable, its just a concept for now right.

I will sleep with that and make some changes eventually, thanks for giving some pointers. 4 is the thing i think most about but for now i don't see any viable "fixes" as i don't want it to be just "get +x of y for z seconds ability".

Edited by Spyro_Haze
typo

Ok, I thought through gathering the soul mechanic after @Be_Stupid comment. Did some math. Making first soul worth 1 and every next one 95% of previous one is way too harsh.

Passive has been moderately changed to prevent stacking too much damage and speed in infinite missions while leaving faster missions relatively untouched; Collecting souls grants stacks of Harvest now. First soul is worth exactly 1 stack, while every next soul is worth 0,999% of the previous one. With this rule 100th soul will be now worth 0,9 of stack of Harvest, 500th soul will be worth 0,6 of stack, 1500th 0,22 ect. Collecting 100 of them grants 95 stacks, 500 grants 393 stacks, 1500 grants 777 stacks. I am satysfied with this actually.

4th ability, The Pact - still no real ideas how to change it to be usefull/fun/unique but not op. Honestly i think it is fine as it is now, but if you have suggestion please go on! About any part of the kit really.

3 hours ago, Spyro_Haze said:

I don't think you read how The Pact is supposed to work...

My mistake, you're right I completely missed the point of the ability. It's a cool ability but I will say it would be pretty difficult to actually determine who is getting the bonus and of what amount (before linking). It would be unique in being the only post-modding method (besides fissure buff) of increasing the duration/range for an ally's abilities which is already significantly different from any other frame buff. I can't think of a fix because it really isn't that bad/op as long as it provides some sort of UI indication above all allies showing what the buff would be (press 4 shows the buff and a second press actually confirms the link or somehow use the hold cast to show potential buff).

You can use the 0.999 diminishing return but it seems unnecessarily complicated, it would work no doubt but I still feel like the cap would make more sense. Rather than focusing on making it different than Nidus I'd just focus on making it both useful and coherent (1 soul = 1 soul). You said it yourself, getting kills at those higher levels is much more difficult and the equation as you have described it would realistically result in a cap of ~3000 with ~0.05 soul rate. In a way I can see the benefit of your version since it incentivizes extremely long missions. Really it's up to you since they both effectively do the same thing 😉

@Be_Stupid Hmm again valid point, with this formula souls become useless at some point. I will add minimum soul worth then, so even though not super effective player still can get value of getting souls in hours long runs, where killing enemies isn't so easy and fast anymore.

About The Pact you got another valid point. I imagine there should be a hud indicator. Example: Hud You see there strength, range and duration indicators. Player's in the middle, target's on the right. Coloured value is the one used for both. On duration both players are below treshold so 150 value is displayed on the left and used instead. Below is Harvest stacks counter.

Edited by Spyro_Haze
typo