Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Klamora Prism and Eidolon Shields: Damage Calculations and Potential Bug

Hierogryph

Introduction

The Klamora prism is has all the makings of an Eidolon killer - amazing critical hit chance, superb critical multiplier and multiplies its damage for each Eidolon hitbox intersecting its wide beam, yet in practice it falls short.  Reviewing my replays, I have noticed damage numbers which, at first, seem random and inconsistent with the formulae on the Warframe wiki.  The objective of this study is to identify the exact damage calculation behind the Klamora prism.  Needless to say, this post will contain a substantial amount of math, TL;DR is at the bottom.

Data Collection

Damage numbers are collected by firing a Klamora-Klebrik-Plaga (736) amp at an Eidolon Teralyst
The Plaga brace ensures that damage numbers are uninfluenced by the amp's brace
No amp arcane is equipped
No dragon key is equipped
Void Strike and Unairu Wisp are not used
Madurai's passive bonus to amp energy and regeneration (Inner and Eternal Gaze) is active

Klamora prism has a damage ramp-up time similar to many beam weapons.  Effective void damage starts from 100 and ramps up to 600 after 1 second of firing (12 shots).  On a 100 capacity amp, this translates to a 12.5% reduction in total dps.

Figure 1 - Without Volt's Shield

qgAlYnD.jpg

What a mess of numbers.  21, 33, 38 and 124 are seen with 21 and 38 being predominant.  Since critical hits on Eidolon shields are difficult to make out, we can pass the beam through Volt's shield which will only amplify the critical hits.

Figure 2 - With Volt's Shield

6egjKwn.jpg

21, 33 are seen as before but now accompanied by 67 and 239.  21 and 67 are predominant.  Values 38 and 124 from figure 1 are no longer seen which indicates that they are critical hits.  This can be proven by using the below formulae.

Are these Crits? (You might want to skip this part if you are not interested in methodology)

Given that,
[Critical Damage] = [Void Damage] * 0.04 * [Critical Multiplier] * 2 + 108 / [Fire Rate]
[Volt Shield Crit Damage] = [Void Damage] * 0.04 * [Critical Multiplier] * 2 * 2 + 108 / [Fire Rate]
Fire rate of the Klamora prism is 12

We can derive this formula

([Critical Damage] - 108 / [Fire Rate]) * 2 + 108 / [Fire Rate] = [Volt Shield Crit Damage]

Therefore

(38 - 108 / 12) * 2 + 108 / 12 = 67
(124 - 108 / 12) * 2 + 108 / 12 = 239

67 and 239 are indeed the observed damage value through Volt's shield proving that 38 and 124 are critical hits.

Now What?

We now know that out of the four numbers we've seen in figure 1,  21 and 33 are non-crits while 38 and 124 are crits.  Now lets compare them to the listed stats on the stat screen.

Expected Damage Based On Stats

The stats screen of the Klamora prism shows a void damage of 600 and a critical multiplier of 2.4.  Let's substitute them into our damage formulae to get an idea of how much damage we expect to see

Given that
[Non-Crit Damage] = [Void Damage] * 0.04 + 108 / [Fire Rate]
[Critical Damage] = [Void Damage] * 0.04 * [Critical Multiplier] * 2 + 108 / [Fire Rate]

[Non-Crit Damage] = 600 * 0.04 + 108 / 12 = 33
[Critical Damage] = 600 * 0.04 * 2.4 * 2 + 108 / 12 = 124.2

Perfect, we now know that 33 is the expected damage value and 124 is its corresponding critical!  This leaves 21 and 38 unaccounted for.  Remember that 21 and 38 are predominant (I'd say 80% of the time) so the Klamora prism only uses its listed stat values 20% of the time.  Now lets reverse the formula to see what values produce 21 with a critical of 38.

[Non-Crit Damage] = [Void Damage] * 0.04 + 108 / [Fire Rate]
[Void Damage] = ([Non-Crit Damage] - 108 / [Fire Rate]) / 0.04
[Void Damage] = (21 - 108 / 12) / 0.04 = 300

There you have it, the Klamora prism uses a void damage value which is exactly half of its listed value!  Let's check if the critical multiplier is as listed.

[Critical Multiplier] = ([Critical Damage] - 108 / [Fire Rate]) / [Void Damage] / 0.04 / 2
[Critical Multiplier] = (38 - 108 / 12) / 300 / 0.04 / 2 = 1.208

Looks like not only is the listed damage halved, the critical multiplier is also halved from its listed value of 2.4!

TL;DR

Against Eidolon shields, about 80% of the time, the Klamora prism uses a damage value which is HALF its listed value (300 vs 600) and a critical multiplier which is HALF its listed value (1.2x vs 2.4x).  This leads to a severe reduction to its potency against Eidolon shields.

Edit:  My apologies for not realizing this sooner.  As I tested other prisms and scaffolds, I realized that certain other amps do indeed exhibit a similar behavior to that which I observed in the Klamora prism, particularly those which damage an Eidolon multiple times per shot, indicating this phenomenon's relationship to an amp's multi-hit properties.  This is more easily studied with a slower amp such as Shwaak, with which I've noticed that only one hit per shot follows the listed damage values.  In conclusion, for amps that damage an Eidolon multiple times per shot, one hit would be of full damage whereas all additional hits in that shot would use half of the amps listed damage and half of its critical multiplier.  At this point, I do not believe this observation to be a bug, but simply a mechanism which limits the potency of amps which can hit multiple Eidolon hitboxes.

Edited by Hierogryph
Added damage ramp-up info
  • Like 1

I believe Eidolon Shield special DR against AMP calculation also plays a part in this. 

I can't find where the formula is from. But from what I remembered Base Damage is severely reduced while Crit Damage can deal massive damage to the shield.

Eidolon Amp Hitreg is also a mess aswell. If you shoot klamora prism right above the them or shooting under the legs you will get 67 damage as crit per hit and 38 base with Unairu Wisp buff but overall DPS is huge because it multi hits. But if you shoot it a bit far from the eidolon you will get 239 damage as crit but less DPS because less multihits.