Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban Vortex Suggestion

Vespilan

Except not really, but now that I have your attention;

I want to suggest one little change for Vauban: Make his Vortex use line of sight. Its annoying to have enemies behind walls glued to the wall without ever going to be able to get into the reach of your Vortex, thus slowing mission progress (on defense, for instance).

Edited by Letter13
Don't do the clickbait thing.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Gravity doesn't care about line of sight. Why should vortex? 

If we're speaking about physics here, vortex most definetly should have line of sight. 
It's not a vortex in technical sense since a real vortex would imply something like a tornado. A spinning around an axis sucking stuff in in the surrounding area. I imagine the vortex ability to function somewhat like a vacuum suction and since it isn't powerful enough to drag the walls down it should, logically, not reach anything far behind the walls and far off any doorway leading to the room in which the vortex is either. Its hard to explain, I hope I got it across.

ZnSOp1b.png

The most sensical thing would be for it to drag enemies into line of sight (without ragdolling them, indicating that it is not too strong of a succ) and once in LoS, ragdoll them too.

Also its just better for gameplay, in my opinion since you wont have enemies chilling behind walls somewhere, never to be even brought within the range of you due to repeated casts of vortex. 

Edited by Vespilan
Expertly drawn MS paint graph added
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vespilan said:

Except not really, but now that I have your attention;

I want to suggest one little change for Vauban: Make his Vortex use line of sight. Its annoying to have enemies behind walls glued to the wall without ever going to be able to get into the reach of your Vortex, thus slowing mission progress (on defense, for instance).

No, if anything needs to be adjusted, it's Vector Pad. It has little strategic use, only existing for meme purposes. Replacing it with anything remotely useful like a shield emplacement would add more value to Booben. 

• Like 1

Vortex is less a vacuum and more of a singularity (read: black hole). Black holes suck things in via gravity, not via vacuum suction.

Moreover, walls wouldn't be pulled down because they are probably study enough to withstand shifts in gravity and are anchored to other surfaces, large enough enemies would have enough inertia/density such that they could resist the pull of vortex's gravity with their own strength. 

1 hour ago, Letter13 said:

Vortex is less a vacuum and more of a singularity (read: black hole). Black holes suck things in via gravity, not via vacuum suction.

Moreover, walls wouldn't be pulled down because they are probably study enough to withstand shifts in gravity and are anchored to other surfaces, large enough enemies would have enough inertia/density such that they could resist the pull of vortex's gravity with their own strength. 

I didn't know the first bit. In this case, the current Vortex going through walls makes sense (though this does not explain the weird behavior that has enemies flying in circles around vortex for its entire duration sometimes). Yet the entire sensibility of the argument is destroyed by the second point. Something like a HEAVY gunner should resist and it doesn't. Something like Alad V shouldn't but it does. This is where you get gamebalance vs. sense, of course.

1 hour ago, Vespilan said:

(though this does not explain the weird behavior that has enemies flying in circles around vortex for its entire duration sometimes).

The enemies flying around in circles is realistic; they've essentially achieved a stable orbit around a gravity well (not unlike planets around a sun). Black holes are basically hyper dense stars with gravity so strong that light cannot leave the event horizon, if you have enough tangential velocity and are outside the event horizon you could achieve a safe and stable orbit without being sucked in.

16 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

The enemies flying around in circles is realistic; they've essentially achieved a stable orbit around a gravity well (not unlike planets around a sun). Black holes are basically hyper dense stars with gravity so strong that light cannot leave the event horizon, if you have enough tangential velocity and are outside the event horizon you could achieve a safe and stable orbit without being sucked in.

Heh.. my vortex is the sun and the grineer are little planets. Screaming in agonizing pain but little, metaphorical, planets.
Thanks for the good explanation! 

1 час назад, Letter13 сказал:

There is another problem. Such a device, which creates a gravitational funnel, is simply fatal to reality. When created, it will begin to absorb and condense the mass of surrounding objects, enhancing its gravitational properties. First the enemies, then the surrounding furniture items, then the ship, 5 ships, a planet, a star system. Oops, you created a black hole for 100 energy. Nerf this.

2 hours ago, zhellon said:

There is another problem. Such a device, which creates a gravitational funnel, is simply fatal to reality. When created, it will begin to absorb and condense the mass of surrounding objects, enhancing its gravitational properties. First the enemies, then the surrounding furniture items, then the ship, 5 ships, a planet, a star system. Oops, you created a black hole for 100 energy. Nerf this.

That's all speculation. There are some theories that a small enough black hole or singularity might not be able to sustain itself, and that it'd burn itself out via Hawking radiation emission; basically it wouldn't be consuming enough mass to keep up with how much Hawking radiation is being produced and it just sort of fizzles out, or explodes, or something... You can probably understand when I say that we don't really know enough about gravitational singularities and their behavior to say what is and what isn't possible.

The 100 energy sent could be needed to sustain the singularity for some amount of time before it just shwoomps itself out of existence. 

Moreover it could be a pseudo-singularity; the vortex grenade may simply generate a large quantities of Higgs particles without actually forming a black hole in order to affect local gravity and create a black hole like effect (pulling things in, crushing them, etc) but without sufficient mass to form a black hole (for a gender that size you'd need to compress more than the mass of Earth to generate enough of a gravity offset).

Long story short: it's space magic, but it's been made fairly clear that the vortex skill uses gravity to pull enemies in.