Tsonachiko

Crossplay Idea (Cross-Platform/Cross Save/Public Beta)

The idea of crossplay in Warframe is nearly as old as that of Warframe on multiple platforms. In 2013 when Warframe had a Playstation 4 demo for E3 Steve said cross-platform play was something they were going to do just as sure as the next platform itself. The reason we got for why this didn't happen was the update cycle. The Xbox One launch in 2014 (and the 2018 Switch launch) complicated things by increasing the number of platforms that would have to be on the same content update. Fast forward to the infamous January 2019 devstream. Steve mentions that cross save (having progression sync across systems) is the safest way to implement anything like it and something they were looking at. More recently it's been represented as being a major objective directly after further implementations of Empyrean.

Switching topics for a bit to Warframe's content history, I personally consider the current implementation of Railjack to be a brilliant tech demo. Kuva liches are similar in that they're cool for a little while. One of the wondrous things about playing this game long-term is seeing polish added (there are a lot of "2.0s" or even "3.0s" to mention). One of the really frustrating things is watching it take so long (why are there still mission-breaking Orb Vallis bugs?)

What if DE created a semi-public PC beta to replace the current PC head start? It would give WF partners something to do and it could really increase polish on the game. It seems like having things on the same cycle is a prerequisite to crossplay and creating such an beta would help players and devs communicate what they want for/from new content. Warframe might need an announcement that it has actually left beta but I think it's a game that deserves that announcement. There's a long list of things players want from the game (or things the game deserves) and a change like this could really help facilitate the more important changes if it gets DE to invest more into the player's experience on the whole. I know this is really three separate ideas, but let me know what you think.

Bibliography:

Cross-platform play is in the future (Jul 2013) https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Warframe-Support-Cross-Platform-Play-Between-PS4-PC-57513.html 

Cross-platform play is not in the future (Oct 2013) https://forums.warframe.com/topic/125149-warframe-ps4-account-migrationcross-platform-play/

Cross-save is an idea we are exploring (Jan 2019) https://wccftech.com/warframe-crossplay-highest-risk-things/ or https://youtu.be/sf9QpXSGryg?t=3105

Cross-save is coming soon (Dec 2019) https://www.pcgamesn.com/warframe/cross-save 

Edited by Tsonachiko
  • Upvote 1

This is more complicated that just syncing up update cycles. It's has more to do with platform owners than game itself. They want to keep their chunk of playerbase for obvious benefits to themselves. Prime examples being how plat discounts work is different between PC and consoles, as well as their own paid passes to enable multiplayer portion of the game.

13 minutes ago, Tsonachiko said:

The idea of crossplay in Warframe is nearly as old as that of Warframe on multiple platforms. In 2013 when Warframe had a Playstation 4 demo for E3 Steve said cross-platform play was something they were going to do just as sure as the next platform itself. The reason we got for why this didn't happen was the update cycle. The Xbox One launch in 2014 (and the 2018 Switch launch) complicated things by increasing the number of platforms that would have to be on the same content update. Fast forward to the infamous January 2019 devstream. Steve mentions that cross save (having progression sync across systems) is the safest way to implement anything like it and something they were looking at. More recently it's been represented as being a major objective directly after further implementations of Empyrean.

They're working on the cross save, but there's a lot of reasons cross play hasn't happened. One of the big reasons being such a huge delay between updates on console versus PC made it impossible, but they're working on that. 

Another major reason that I've read about repeatedly is that XBOX requires a highly invasive port of XBOX Live on other platforms that requires their source code for it to work on this setup. Maybe that's something that can be resolved next gen consoles but I don't see that happening with current gen, not this far in.

• Applause 1

iirc, wasn't Sony dragging their heels/being stubborn about cross-platform play a while back? Even if DE was, by some miraculous feat, able to get cross-platform play to work, PS4 players would likely be left out in the cold b/c of Sony's stubborn af refusal to entertain the idea of playing nice with others. You'd probably have an easier time getting Microsoft and Nintendo both on board to help DE facilitate crossplay between the XB1 and Switch versions. (And seeing as MS and Nintendo are playing nice with each other, that's not entirely out of the realm of possibility) 

At this point, cross-save is probably the best course of action, esp. with the PS5 and the new Xbox on the horizon. I'd imagine there's the ever present fact DE will likely have to port the game over to both those consoles within the next couple of years, and that they'd probably keep the Sony and MS players happy by allowing them to transfer between consoles with little to no hiccups. But... cross the bridge when they get to it blah blah.

And on a purely selfish note, I for one would love to be able to use my Switch account to override my old XB1 account that I stopped using back in 2016. :V

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (NSW)Finlaena said:

iirc, wasn't Sony dragging their heels/being stubborn about cross-platform play a while back? Even if DE was, by some miraculous feat, able to get cross-platform play to work, PS4 players would likely be left out in the cold b/c of Sony's stubborn af refusal to entertain the idea of playing nice with others. You'd probably have an easier time getting Microsoft and Nintendo both on board to help DE facilitate crossplay between the XB1 and Switch versions. (And seeing as MS and Nintendo are playing nice with each other, that's not entirely out of the realm of possibility) 

At this point, cross-save is probably the best course of action, esp. with the PS5 and the new Xbox on the horizon. I'd imagine there's the ever present fact DE will likely have to port the game over to both those consoles within the next couple of years, and that they'd probably keep the Sony and MS players happy by allowing them to transfer between consoles with little to no hiccups. But... cross the bridge when they get to it blah blah.

And on a purely selfish note, I for one would love to be able to use my Switch account to override my old XB1 account that I stopped using back in 2016. :V

Where are you getting your information from because you are ignorant to so many facts. The reason Warframe launched on PS4 and not Xbox back in 2013 was because only Sony would allow crossplay with PC at that time and DE was still exploring if crossplay would work. Just before Warframe launched on PS4, DE decided that it would not work due to how updates require verification on consoles. This was 100% DE's decision to not support crossplay.

Fast forward to today and not much has changed with DE's development cycle. You saw how disastrous Railjack was on consoles, right? That's because DE pushes content out on PC before they fully test it, then they hotfix/patch as needed. This does not work on consoles and it is why Railjack hasn't had a QoL improvement in 7 weeks on PS4 and Xbox.

So the reason why we don't have crossplay isn't because of Sony at all; it's because DE cannot release stable update simultaneously across multiple platforms. As for cross-save, it may be doable but DE will surely mess up quite a few things trying to get it to work, so use it at your own discretion.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

Where are you getting your information from because you are ignorant to so many facts. The reason Warframe launched on PS4 and not Xbox back in 2013 was because only Sony would allow crossplay with PC at that time and DE was still exploring if crossplay would work. Just before Warframe launched on PS4, DE decided that it would not work due to how updates require verification on consoles. This was 100% DE's decision to not support crossplay.

Fast forward to today and not much has changed with DE's development cycle. You saw how disastrous Railjack was on consoles, right? That's because DE pushes content out on PC before they fully test it, then they hotfix/patch as needed. This does not work on consoles and it is why Railjack hasn't had a QoL improvement in 7 weeks on PS4 and Xbox.

So the reason why we don't have crossplay isn't because of Sony at all; it's because DE cannot release stable update simultaneously across multiple platforms. As for cross-save, it may be doable but DE will surely mess up quite a few things trying to get it to work, so use it at your own discretion.

Did you not see the whole flap about Fortnite a while back? If memory serves, Sony was adamant about not wanting to do crossplay in general and pretty much dragged their heels about it until they got pilloried over it in the media. I'd presumed that was also the case here, and I suspect that still is a small part of it.

And I didn't see how disastrous Railjack was on consoles, because I came back to the game -on the Nintendo Switch- this past Christmas. That stuff completely went over my awareness as a player.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Finlaena said:

Did you not see the whole flap about Fortnite a while back? If memory serves, Sony was adamant about not wanting to do crossplay in general and pretty much dragged their heels about it until they got pilloried over it in the media. I'd presumed that was also the case here, and I suspect that still is a small part of it.

And I didn't see how disastrous Railjack was on consoles, because I came back to the game -on the Nintendo Switch- this past Christmas. That stuff completely went over my awareness as a player.

That's very recent news and has nothing to do with crossplay in Warframe, which released on PS4 in 2013. The entire Fortnite incident was a shame because Sony has supported crossplay for nearly 20 years.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph