Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gara gameplay

(PSN)SrebX

Question

Gara is great. she's incredibly powerful and versatile and pretty and I love everything about her............... BESIDES the gameplay

I want to love her, I really do, but whenever I play her I feel like I'm imprisoned by Splinter Storm's duration. 
It's basically: Cast Splinter Storm-->Cast Mass Vitrify-->Shatter Mass Vitrify-->Repeat until a sufficient number of dmg appears.   And then I just have about ~30 sec to play until I need to get back to the middle of the map and cast Mass Vitrify again so I wouldn't lose Splinter storm and nuke effectively

I'd really like your take on her- How do you play her? How do you not feel so confined within this loop? How do you build her?

This is my current build, in case it's relevant -

https://tennoware.com/warframes/gara/12412002230f305p405p710w605b905y810w805p810a210y91000000000 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

That's pretty much Gara. 

I have a couple of builds for her, but usually simply use a high efficiency build just to keep things simple. It works for about 90% of what she does, and can make a pretty good go of the other 10% even if not ideal. I stack duration pretty deeply just to keep recasting to a minimum. 

I don't agonize over SS numbers. It gets more important the longer you're in a mission, but the main thing is to keep the DR up, not so much to keep the death touch rolling. She does have guns--and Shattered Lash. 

It's mostly cast SS, keep an eye on it and then use her others abilities as the situation warrants. She's not nearly as busy as warframes that have to keep multiple abilities rolling on a timer /coughOcatavia/cough. If you've got to collapse an MV to keep SS up, then do it. You can always run to any objective and get MV up when time permits. Don't forget Spectrorage. It might  not be all that, but it can keep enemies occupied while you deal with other things--and can set them up for an application of the old ultraviolence/Shattered Lash. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)SrebX said:

It's basically: Cast Splinter Storm-->Cast Mass Vitrify-->Shatter Mass Vitrify-->Repeat until a sufficient number of dmg appears.   And then I just have about ~30 sec to play until I need to get back to the middle of the map and cast Mass Vitrify again so I wouldn't lose Splinter storm and nuke effectively

That's the core of it, yes.

But you don't need to always return to the center of Hydron  the map to make a big wide nuke MV, or ramp up your damage all at once. I tend to just do my thing, then find a half-decent spot when my SS is about to run out and refresh it with a smaller MV when needed. More time doing my thing, and the passive damage is a constant ramp-up as enemies scale. Also, the nuke is an option, but it doesn't need to happen every time.

One other thing, although it isn't crazy good, Spectrorage is fairly underrated for zoning, considering Gara's other abilities get a lot more mileage when enemies are zoned. Spectrosiphon generates a lot of Energy, since enemies need only be under the ability's effects when killed and needn't be killed by it.

With the 90% DR from Splinter Storm, you don't need to slot health or shield mods. So build for as high duration as you can, while keeping strength at or above 130%. If you can get >50s duration on SS, then it won't feel too much like busywork keeping it up all the time. Range is not as important as it might seem.

Edited by revlob

Depends on how you want to play her. It can get pretty tiresome if you plan to use her 2 as main damage source coz of that breaking glass ritual (and having to run near the enemies to kill them). I mainly use her 2 for the DR, the damage stack is just a bonus but not main priority. My usual build has her 2 at 40-something seconds duration, that's enough time for me to do something else before needing to refresh it with MV. And because of this, I can skip using vit/shield mods and just use adaptation for extra measures lol. With some efficiency and energizing dash spam haha, it's enough to keep my energy up for another MV rotation.

If I want to use her for nuking, I just ignore damage stacking and focus on nuking with MV, stay mid and break the glass from the inside, don't really need the damage on her 2 if you're killing things before they see you. My build on this one is more on range, duration suffers a bit but then again, it's just there for protection in case anything survives the MV nuke. 

I dont use Str Gara to much.  I love Gara built for range/duration and augmented for spectrorage.   This is awesome for sqaud play.  It keeps everyone safe and fully juiced.  I havent ran into anyone who can take advantage of my gara like a mesa, mirage, mag, octavia etc yet.   I have ran into peeps who start nuking everything outside her mirrors.

But in general enemies r distracted and im juiced.  Splinter gives about 20-30% DR.  Mass is good for turning tough guys into glass.  The wall goes soooo far out it shouldnt be a prob with visability.  The only reason i dont spam 4 is it slows down the meatgrinder.

This gara is great 4 leveling stuff, great 4 open worlds, I love alot of frames and gara is not at the top but I have a hard time staying off her.  

I am super stoked for that gara skin showed off last dev stream.   Her skins have been weak.  That one looks like it will capture her beauty.  I have never really felt the need to design a skin,  but I have an idea for gara I wish I could see come to life.   But that new skin has me pretty excited.

I just wish on her Str build u could stand anywhere and her 1 could bust her wall AND the damage would be added to splinter regardless of where you are standing (Instead of only outside wall).  Why the F would u stand on the same side of the wall as the enemy that is getting blendered????

I also think splinter should get that hold to cast on yourself mechanic titania got

U got 90% DR but u still use adapt? lol.  Slap rage, hunter adrenaline on instead to fuel ur prime flow...

Rip out augur message 4 narrow minded. U dont need alot of range on str build.  SS is melee range,  your wall is easier to play with.

Flow could be str/dur. Why you need all that juice? 

Syphon could be steel.

You should be Zen primary on Gara.  Or if u put spectro aug instead of flow you could primary naramon for melee. Im not sure how many enemies u could kill inside smaller mirror ring tho.

Edited by (PS4)AbBaNdOn_

I love Gara too. One of the best looking frames in the game (I'm loving the deluxe skin too) and she can do almost everything. But, not at the same time. I agree with the other replies here, I think you're trying to do a bit too much in one build, and not building to her various strengths. 

I've got two main builds, one for Splinter Storm, which I'll use for survival, rescue, or anything where I want to move fast, ignore enemies and take almost zero damage. That build is just 130% Power Strength (1 normal Intensify) to reach the 90 damage reduction cap, and then as much duration as possible. Think I have a minute before I have to refresh SS. In your build, you could drop Umbral Vitality, it's really not required. Narrow Minded, Augur Message, Constitution, will all help keep SS going. With this build you can do arbitration survival forever, only ever shooting the drones. Everything else just dies as you run past. 

The other build is for nuking maps, where you'll want more strength, duration/efficiency and range. Similar to your current build. This one's more of a balancing act. Again I'd probably drop Vitality, if you can kill half the map then movement and Adaptation will keep you safe. 

You can also build for a strong Mass Vitrify barrier, maybe for Excavation or Interception. This is full on strength, less range and duration. Just make sure to capture enemies in the crystallization, their shields and health will strengthen your wall. You can also use armour mods on Gara to make it stronger, if you think that's worth it. 

You're right that Gara needs a bit of concentration to play. Use Energizing Dash and Arcane Energize to keep your energy up.  You'll always be watching the timer if you've got SS on, but you also get to run around a level without firing a shot and still have the highest damage output and enemies killed, which is nice. 

Hope that helps. 

20 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

That's the core of it, yes.

But you don't need to always return to the center of Hydron  the map to make a big wide nuke MV, or ramp up your damage all at once. I tend to just do my thing, then find a half-decent spot when my SS is about to run out and refresh it with a smaller MV when needed. More time doing my thing, and the passive damage is a constant ramp-up as enemies scale. Also, the nuke is an option, but it doesn't need to happen every time.

One other thing, although it isn't crazy good, Spectrorage is fairly underrated for zoning, considering Gara's other abilities get a lot more mileage when enemies are zoned. Spectrosiphon generates a lot of Energy, since enemies need only be under the ability's effects when killed and needn't be killed by it.

^^ this.

While it can be boring to stack up your 2-4-1 combo and then just mow enemies down by walking close to them, you could also protect your teammates and/or defense objectives.

I used 2 mostly for damage reduction (DR), so 130-ish strength is enough I think to get to the 90% cap. The damage you get from the combo is just a bonus. You also get bonus damage if the mirrors from your 3 break as well; not just your 4.

Her 3 is very rarely used from what I see in groups sadly; 'cause it can lock down a decent area and basically CC-ing a decent amout of enemies that you can then either ignore or kill to get a good chance to restore some energy from her augment.

Her 4 can be used to defend oblectives (another defensive ability), CC a large group, or you can blast it out to stagger and damage enemies. You can cancel casting her 4 to reduce energy costs if you just wanna use it to buff your 2, that also reduces its range. If you hold her 1 on it the damage is SLASH, if you just press it without holding it's PUNCTURE. The type of damage transfers to your 2, so try to alternate between just pressing 1 and holding 1 when shattering your 4.

I also use 4 only when I really need the damage on my 2 since it refreshes its duration and I need to combo my 1 immediately after so my 4 isnt bothering my teammates; otherwise I just refresh it manually (press 2 insted of 4-1 combo; reduces energy costs).

Your 1 can be used for a quick stagger and knockdown. It also pierces enmies, so using it in hallways is a good idea. Its damage is also influenced by the mods you have equipped on your melee weapion (some, not all).

------------------------------------------

TL,DR; use your 3 more often but equip the augment first, no need to use your 4-1 combo all the time, refresh your 2 manually instead, use 1 for quick CC/damage.

PS: She can be very fun if you diversify a bit more and use her whole kit, she synegizes very well and is a good allrounder. Read her wiki entry and read up on her abilities to squeeze more fun out of her 'cause IT IS THERE. Anyway, have fun man, that's what we're here for.

Edited by TamePingu
Formating, OCD