Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Powerful Armour Piercing Primaries?

Stakhanov

Question

I'm looking at doing a leaderboard run against the Grineer for Defence. Now I've got a forma'd up Kunai knife for cutting through the armour, as the Lex somewhat starts lacking higher waves, but I am really having a hard time trying to find a good primary which can ignore armour and really cut into the people I'm trying to kill. The Braton just isn't going to cut it against Grineer, specially when they start hitting level 100+...

10 answers to this question

Well, Despair would be a better choice because of its AP damage to kunai's physics impact (which seekers, rollers, and commanders actually are able to resist), but that's another topic entirely. There are 4 damage types you will want to keep in mind when using equipment that ignores armor: Poison, Serrated Blade, Armor Piercing, and Physics Impact.

Poison - Torid

Serrated Blade - Flux Rifle, Miter, Lanka

Armor Pierce - Snipetron

Physics Impact - Boltor, Paris

Also note that shotguns are very capable of achieving 150% AP damage, so are exceptionally viable across the board. Hope this helps!

Check this out:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Comparison

Look at the far right column, pretty much anything that is not Bullet or Laser will ignore an enemies armor rating.  That said, anything capable of high sustained DPS due to high fire rate and high crit rate (Soma for example) will do you just fine.  As a note, things are likely changing soon(ish) once the armor and damage revamp happens - try to not put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Lastly, my clanmate still uses a rainbow build on his Braton Prime and doesn't see much dropoff from the typical Soma build, even on T3 Def.  If you do like Braton, maybe try farming up a Braton Prime.  May the RNG Gods bless your efforts in that :P

Check this out:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Comparison

Look at the far right column, pretty much anything that is not Bullet or Laser will ignore an enemies armor rating.  That said, anything capable of high sustained DPS due to high fire rate and high crit rate (Soma for example) will do you just fine.  As a note, things are likely changing soon(ish) once the armor and damage revamp happens - try to not put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Lastly, my clanmate still uses a rainbow build on his Braton Prime and doesn't see much dropoff from the typical Soma build, even on T3 Def.  If you do like Braton, maybe try farming up a Braton Prime.  May the RNG Gods bless your efforts in that :P

What do you mean by Rainbow Build?

Use Strun Wraith if you have it; I soloed Varro to wave 45 just using that and a seer. There are few primary weapons that scale better on grineer than that shotgun. It has one of the highest AP DPS in game when properly modded and it's only notable disadvantage is the short range.

Lanka, Vandal snipetron and Ogris work as well. Flux rifle is inferior to the Soma on very high level grineer due to how much AP DPS the Soma can get with critical mods.

For secondary the despair and acrid are the best options, but kunai wouldn't be the worst.

Edited by LazyKnight

What do you mean by Rainbow Build?

Sorry, I've seen it used as slang for equipping all the elemental damage mods at the same time - so he runs Serration, Split Chamber, Piercing Hit, Cryo Rounds, Hellfire, Stormbringer, Wildfire, and usually Shred.  He's also forma'd the thing about 5 times I think, so likely most weapons would be pretty good with 5 forma but hey...

I've got six formas on my Braton, Max Serration, Max Stormbringer, hellfire, cryo, split chamber, wildfire, armour piercing, shred. It's the top of it's class. I have 80k kills with the Braton alone LOL

Was just saying that it'll do the job.  To take a run at the leaderboards, try some of the other posts' suggestions - my personal preference for T3 Def is either Strun Wraith or Soma if that helps.  Arguments can made that they are the "best" primaries.

I was considering the shotguns. I have been getting into the Hek for personal preference, but I'm tempted to switch back to the Strun Wraith for the purposes of it. I've already done a few leaderboard runs on Kiliken and Venera, clocking in at 24th and 45th I believe, I videoed them, actually:

I also attempted one on Miranda but wasn't equipped properly for them. Although the Braton has a pretty hefty DPS against things like the Bombards with some careful headshot trigger discipline, it find it drinks too much ammo and then asks for copious amounts of Ammo Boxes, plus the Lex becomes less and less effective against  Grineer as opposed to Corpus; as seen, my not even fully upgraded Lex can blow off their heads up to level 133 in a single well placed shot, but that becomes a two shot kill on Grineer around level 75 I found.