Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

solution to fix the problem of Nyx (spoiler, make her the jedi frame)

45neo

So, right now Nyx is in a bad state, she has been in a bad state for a long time. She has almost no unique identity as there is nothing that she can do better than other frames.

Clear;y Nyx needs a rework, and even more so, new abilities.

My solution is to give her Jedi themed abilities, which let's be honest, are the best model of psychic powers.

1st - mind control -> mind trick - Instead of controlling a single enemy this new version of her one will effect a small AoE of enemies around her target causing them to become oblivious to the existence of Nyx or her allies, even bringing them out of an alerted state. Also could have a chance (affected by power strength up to 100%) to disarm affected enemies.

Rational - Right now turning enemies into minions is done way better by other warframes, This change give Nyx a slightly more dynamic and unique ability that can help give her a niche while still being practical. I mean who doesn't want a bombard to stop shooting at you? 

2nd - psychic bolts -. psychic hold - instead of sending invisible bolts that minimally affect a few enemies this new power will be a single handed cast channeled ability that allows Nyx to grab enemies and suspend them in the air moving around with the direction she is looking, allowing her to slam them into other enemies knocking them down and dealing damage, can also deal massive damage to the enemy when making them collide with terrain. Deactivating the ability send the enemy flung back with some momentum again dealing damage to and knocking down enemies in it's path. (Also using this ability should not inhibit Nyx from using other abilities.

Rational - Psychic bolts have sucked for a long time now, and even if they were to deal a ton of damage they are slow and  just don't feel super... psychic like. Although this does share a lot of flavor that people would wish to see with mag, this just overall felt like an appropriate thing for a force Psychokinesis user to do and although it may end up being less practical than psychic bolts at least it implements the idea of controlling an attack with your mind better (psychic bolts do trace targets you look at) by being more obvious and is overall a lot more fun. 

3rd - Chaos -> Chaos - I would keep this mostly the same, except make it so enemies affected can not target Nyx or her allies.

Rational - Although this change doesn't seem like much I would like to quickly point out how it is not as simple as it looks, with this change her chaos ability would go from "maybe protect teammates from being targeted by enemies" to "always protect teammates from being targeted by enemies" If she can turn an enemy to an ally or erase her own presence from enemies minds, why can't Nyx do it on a larger scale? Of course the disadvantage is enemies will be turned to an alert state but it does a way better job at cc which is totally fair given there are other warframes that can totally freeze similar amounts of enemies in place with ease. (as a secondary change, it might be good to give chaos a longer range as suggested by IIFrost_GhostII )

4th - Absorb -> Control - Instead of simply absorbing damage dealt to Nyx this new ultimate would allow Nyx to exert overwhelming psychic pressure on her environment freezing projectiles in a large radius around her in midair (even stopping hit-scan weapons) as well as massively slows enemies as they get closer to the epicenter [Nyx]. When deactivated it would still deal massive damage based on ranged attacks stopped by the Ult and knock down all enemies in a large radius. However, I would switch it to an activated ability rather than a channeled ability (in doing so removing the energy drained from stopping projectiles). (NOTE: Nyx can move but the radius will follow Nyx as she moves)

Rational - Absorb is boring, and does fairly little compared to other warframe ults apart fro giving Nyx "invincibility" (because taking damage does drain Nyx's energy pool making this ability just a more efficient front-loaded quick thinking without staggers... wait Nyx is on that mods picture... 😮!!!) Detours aside, this is again adds a lot of unavoidable cross-over into mags domain of influence, but it just seemed more "ultimate" to have the master of psychic manipulation exerting that psychic energy to control the physical plain of reality stopping all her enemies in their tracks by crushing them under the weight of her psychic influence and rendering their weapons useless, just seems a whole lot cooler than what we got now. 

Augments changes (to accommodate)

1st augment - Mind freak - Makes her 1st ability an AoE version of her current one (allowing it to affect multiple targets) they can attack each other, but damage they receive will increase their damage output.  Also receive a damage bonus increased by the augment (as normal). 

2nd augment - pacifying bolts -> growing hold - Allows additional enemies to be grabbed by hold up to a set cap, but increases damage for each additional enemy in her hold, affected by augment

3rd augment - chaos sphere - keep the same

4th augment - assimilate - Change to instead of allowing her to move during the duration of her ult to instead exert influence on enemies in it's area of effect when activated into allies, can still be killed by teammates, albeit slower, and lose ally status on re-cast if they are not in the new area of effect. Number of possible allies capped by augment   

Basically this change would make Nyx the true master of playing mind tricks (Say "We are not the warframes your looking for" like your Ken-obi) and convincing enemies to be allies (don't have an example for this one, but seems like something someone with force powers could do), while also making her the ultimate psychokinesis frame (stopping bullets like your Kylo Ren and suspending people in mid air like your Darth Vadar)

So yeah, thanks for reading, if anyone has other suggestions for changes feel free to comment, or if your a devoted Nyx player feel free to point out any benefits or flaws with theses change, do they keep with the identity of Nyx that you envision?       

Remember, keep it civil,Thanks 🙂   

P.S. if you wish for changes like this to be made please comment at least and if you really like it up-vote so that this can be brought to the DE's attention

EDIT 1: added rational for ability changes and a couple of clarifications for ability change suggestions.

Edited by 45neo
add more detail
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, (PS4)ErydisTheLucario said:

I like some of it so far, but thats just me. Just give it a minute and wait, someone will claim she is fine as is.

She sucks as is.

I personally keep pushing that Mind Control and Psychic Bolts should be merged into one singular ability that exerts mind control on a number of enemies (6 at max) for Mind Control's duration by firing bolts that invade their minds and bring them under her control for a duration. Having them be invulnerable for the duration, then inflicting the damage they take during Mind Control when it ends, or earlier if ended before the duration expires.

As for the ideas OP has listed, I actually had something a bit like that first ability, though not as far reaching. I think a great passive for Nyx is that when she isn't firing guns or attacking, her threat level drops over time until she is the lowest threat level in the mission, effectively like a mental manipulation. "I am not the Warframe you are looking for" thing.

First of all, I totally agree with a sorry state of Nyx right now and ALL the ideas we can put out-here hopefully can give DE some direction towards the eventual rework. So you get a like!

Yet i think the rework you suggested is more suited for Mag. They both are kinda Mass Effect psychers.

Your idea for 2 is bloody fantastic and would be a ton of fun to use (if given some decent damage to back it up). But it suits Mag much more, as she is the gravity controller.

Your idea for 4 is once again something very similar to when they showed in the latest WF trailer Mag doing. Yet, I dont think any ability that leaves you stationary is viable in WF anymore, so movement is a MUST without an augment.

And the worst is leaving her 3 the same. You see, when i think about "mind control" - I should command the enemies, subdue them, not make them into berserks killing everything around them. There shoud be a clear distinction between friend and foe on the battlefield. To that extend i think Nyx needs a tool to make MULTIPLE enemies her allies.

I hope you do not feel demotivated after my comment, I will be releasing my ideas for Nyx rework in a couple of weeks and hope to see you there!

On 2020-02-04 at 10:44 AM, UnusualDeathCause said:

First of all, I totally agree with a sorry state of Nyx right now and ALL the ideas we can put out-here hopefully can give DE some direction towards the eventual rework. So you get a like!

Yet i think the rework you suggested is more suited for Mag. They both are kinda Mass Effect psychers.

Your idea for 2 is bloody fantastic and would be a ton of fun to use (if given some decent damage to back it up). But it suits Mag much more, as she is the gravity controller.

Your idea for 4 is once again something very similar to when they showed in the latest WF trailer Mag doing. Yet, I dont think any ability that leaves you stationary is viable in WF anymore, so movement is a MUST without an augment.

And the worst is leaving her 3 the same. You see, when i think about "mind control" - I should command the enemies, subdue them, not make them into berserks killing everything around them. There shoud be a clear distinction between friend and foe on the battlefield. To that extend i think Nyx needs a tool to make MULTIPLE enemies her allies.

I hope you do not feel demotivated after my comment, I will be releasing my ideas for Nyx rework in a couple of weeks and hope to see you there!

Yes I understand what you mean, one thing i will pint out is I did put in the suggestion for making her 3 make enemies only target other enemies(unlike current where they can target the player). And I get the whole, "this seems like more of a mag thing to do" gravity/magnetism and psychokinesis are very similar. Anyways, thanks for the feedback, we just gotta keep up the work pushing for change and this was just a random inspiration from my love of star wars.  

• Like 1

On 2020-02-03 at 10:36 PM, 45neo said:

1st - mind control -> mind trick - Instead of controlling a single enemy this new version of her one will effect a small AoE of enemies around her target causing them to become oblivious to the existence of Nyx or her allies, even bringing them out of an alerted state. Also could have a chance (affected by power strength up to 100%) to disarm affected enemies

I love this!

Revenants version of her mind control ability murdered whatever cool fantasies youd get from this, and nekros made it even less cool.

So im 100% down for a complete change to an ability that never really shined!

2nd - psychic bolts -. psychic hold - instead of sending invisible bolts that minimally affect a few enemies this new power will be a single handed cast channeled ability that allows Nyx to grab enemies and suspend them in the air moving around with the direction she is looking, allowing her to slam them into other enemies knocking them down and dealing damage, can also deal massive damage to the enemy when making them collide with terrain. Deactivating the ability send the enemy flung back with some momentum again dealing damage to and knocking down enemies in it's path. (Also using this ability should not inhibit Nyx from using other abilities.

This is cool 🤔 id prefer it to be on Mag but whatever. Still cool

(Anyone notice how simular Mag and Nyx are when it comes to moving things?)

3rd ability

I agree, this makes up for some interesting combat situations with the first ability tho

I think that not only should this ability have more range than the first ability, but it should also provide players with a buff like enemies are more likely to freeze up in fear after being shot at

Edited by (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII

4th - Absorb -> Control - Instead of simply absorbing damage dealt to Nyx this new ultimate would allow Nyx to exert overwhelming psychic pressure on her environment freezing projectiles in a large radius around her in midair (even stopping hit-scan weapons) as well as massively slows enemies as they get closer to the epicenter [Nyx]. When deactivated it would still deal massive damage based on ranged attacks stopped by the Ult and knock down all enemies in a large radius. However, I would switch it to an activated ability rather than a channeled ability (in doing so removing the energy drained from stopping projectiles

So is this nyx absorb plus youre idea or are you replacing it?

Overall, i like this so far

6 hours ago, (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII said:

So is this nyx absorb plus youre idea or are you replacing it?

Overall, i like this so far

Thanks, the idea is a slight redo of absorb with some added flavor of not just absorbing attacks using psychic energy but locking down an entire area using psychic energy. So yeah, for the most part it is a replacement.

On 2020-02-04 at 10:44 AM, UnusualDeathCause said:

Just remembered something, I did intend to make it clear that movement would be possible (hence the further need for an augment change). Just that the AoE would follow Nyx. If you have thought of any other concerns feel free to have at it.

• Like 1