Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

FPS Drops And Increased Ram usage associated with Eidolon and Fortuna during loading

GeneticGamer

When I play Warframe, I run it's graphical settings on it's lowest possible so that I can get maximum performance for the computer system that I have. I also put Warframe in windowed mode and resize the window as a form setting my resolution

Computer System: 

Processor: Intel Core i3-8130u 2.2GHz with Turbo Booster up to 3.4GHz

Graphics card: Intel UHD Graphics 620

8 GB DDR3L Memory it was 6 before but I added a 4GB and replaced the 2GB one in the slot

HardDrive: 1000GB HDD

Usually my Warframe launcher settings are DirectX 11, Multi-threading and everything else ON except Fullscreen(Obviously).

When I login and the loading indicator is on I experience a FPS drop & screen stick just before properly loading and everything stabilizing 

My FPS would stay at a constant 60FPS & 1000GBs+ RAM Usage in my Orbiter & Relays, 30-45-60 FPS 1000GBs+ RAM Usage in missions. 

However when it came to Venus's Fortuna Orb Vallis & Earth's Cetus Plain of Eidolon:

• Upon entering without skipping cinematics, the scene runs smoothly but I experience a significant FPS drop in between the cinematic playing and my screen sticks for about 3 seconds and then it runs smoothly again(After this my FPS stabilizes to 30-45-60 FPS)
  • When I pick a bounty and enter the plains through the gate. Matchmaking or connecting me to a squad takes about 2-3 minutes to allow me to enter the plains. During that time the screen at the bottom left corner appears to be loading, I can see who's in my squad & then after the bottom left loading stops it continues to take a while to allow my weapons to set free, load the map etc. During the 2-3 minutes I experience FPS Drops. Entering the plains increases Warframe RAM usage to about 2000+GBs but I think this should be expected. The FPS drops are my concerns. Sometimes before being able to join the application will show not responding. Entering the Plains or ORB V 30-45-60 FPS 2000GBs+ RAM Usage
  • After completing the bounty the same 2-3 minutes loading occurs after trying to reenter Cetus. This has caused losses for me because if someone else is hosting when they disconnect from the squad without me properly loading or because I lost information during the loading I lose what ever I got in the mission. It says I lost connection to Multiplayer and it returns me to Cetus with RAM usage 2000+GBs
  • When I leave Cetus to go the Orbiter the loading screen makes the application Sometimes not respond and then it would stabilize.

To solve this issue I changed my Warframe Launcher settings to DirectX 10, Multi-threading  OFF and everything else ON except Fullscreen(Obviously).

• This fixed the loading in issue COMPLETELY with i guess very MINOR fps Drops but I experience no loading time near 2-3 minutes
  • However when I leave Cetus to go the Orbiter. The loading screen makes the application not respond for 5 minutes and then it would stabilize.

I hope you can resolve my loading issue so that I can have the full optimized performance of Warframe.

51 minutes ago, GeneticGamer said:

When I play Warframe, I run it's graphical settings on it's lowest possible so that I can get maximum performance for the computer system that I have...

...Graphics card: Intel UHD Graphics 620...

I hate to say this but I don't think ram usage is the problem here. I think its yer Intel integrated graphics causing the problem. That gpu is incredibly toaster and even if playing at the lowest settings doesn't help I don't think there is much hope for yer laptop there.
The orbiter is a small area so it makes sense that you get 60fps there.
The Plains and the Orb on the other hand are just huge maps with a lot of stuff to render so yer really cooking that gpu. Here are a couple screenshots to show just how big the maps are (I put One way-point in one corner of the map then traveled to the other corner. You can also see my fps meter is on.)

Spoiler

unknown.png
unknown.png

Yer gpu probably can't/doesn't support dx11 so switching to it makes you lag.

Integrated GPUS share the ram that the system uses, so if you don't have a video card with it's own dedicated ram it will use the ram that the system is also using.
So you'd notice a higher ram usage than if the video card had it own ram to render with.*
*(I could be wrong here, this is just an assumption.)

There's not much that can be done to fix that, sorry. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they can make it so yer toaster gpu could play better (Press X to Doubt).

Here I chose to compare an old nvidia GPU against yer Integrated GPU to give you an idea how bad it is.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-vs-Intel-UHD-Graphics-620-Mobile-Kaby-Lake-R/3162vsm320744

I assume you have a laptop because the udh 620 is a laptop gpu so if you are using a desktop apologies. But if you are using a desktop you can probably get a gpu. if it is a laptop then rip, probably time to look into getting an upgrade.

Also since yer game is installed on a HDD and isn't using an SSD the loading times are going to be much longer. It also depends on how fast yer HHD spins, if it's a 5400RPM drive then Super rip, if it's a 7200rpm drive or higher then it's ok.

To give you a general idea of the system usage the plains have I'll show you my system specs and how much ram, gpu, and cpu I run at.
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
RAM: 16GB of PC4-19200 DDR4 at 2400mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 3GB Overclocked

Standing on the stairs looking out into the Plains on max settings With DX 11 and everything on (except anti-aliasing, motion blur, and film grain because I don't like them)
I stay at a steady 75fps with a ram usage of about 1750MB. In task manager my cpu runs average at 45% and my gpu is at an average 97%.

If I go into archwing and casually fly around close to the ground my cpu reaches 60% usage max and my gpu stays at 99% usage and my fps never fluctuates.

Edited by GentlePuppet
Information dump

4 hours ago, GentlePuppet said:

I hate to say this but I don't think ram usage is the problem here. I think its yer Intel integrated graphics causing the problem. That gpu is incredibly toaster and even if playing at the lowest settings doesn't help I don't think there is much hope for yer laptop there.
The orbiter is a small area so it makes sense that you get 60fps there. The Plains and the Orb on the other hand are just huge maps with a lot of stuff to render so yer really cooking that gpu. Yer gpu probably can't/doesn't support dx11 so switching to it makes you lag.

Integrated GPUS share the ram that the system uses, so if you don't have a video card with it's own dedicated ram it will use the ram that the system is also using.
So you'd notice a higher ram usage than if the video card had it own ram to render with.*
*(I could be wrong here, this is just an assumption.)

There's not much that can be done to fix that, sorry. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they can make it so yer toaster gpu could play better (Press X to Doubt).

Here I chose to compare an old nvidia GPU against yer Integrated GPU to give you an idea how bad it is.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-vs-Intel-UHD-Graphics-620-Mobile-Kaby-Lake-R/3162vsm320744

I assume you have a laptop because the udh 620 is a laptop gpu so if you are using a desktop apologies. But if you are using a desktop you can probably get a gpu. if it is a laptop then rip, probably time to look into getting an upgrade.

Also since yer game is installed on a HDD and isn't using an SSD the loading times are going to be much longer. It also depends on how fast yer HHD spins, if it's a 5400RPM drive then Super rip, if it's a 7200rpm drive or higher then it's ok.

To give you a general idea of the system usage the plains have I'll show you my system specs and how much ram, gpu, and cpu I run at.
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
RAM: 16GB of PC4-19200 DDR4 at 2400mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 3GB Overclocked

Standing on the stairs looking out into the Plains on max settings With DX 11 and everything on (except anti-aliasing, motion blur, and film grain because I don't like them)
I stay at a steady 75fps with a ram usage of about 1750MB. In task manager my cpu runs average at 45% and my gpu is at an average 97%.

If I go into archwing and casually fly around close to the ground my cpu reaches 60% usage max and my gpu stays at 99% usage and my fps never fluctuates.

I don't know why you isolated my mention of RAM usage as I didn't say it was the problem. I was simply adding in that information just in case it was relevant. My GPU supports DirectX 12 😂So I'm sure it can support DirextX11. I understand It being an integrated Graphics Card creates a bottleneck for the whole system in general.

Difference between HDD & SSD understandable. 

My problem is the loading screen that drops my FPS and the screen freezes. It does this for the Login, Eidolon & Fortuna entering and reentering gates, Leaving Eidolon and Fortuna to my Orbiter causes my application to go into not responding, As I mentioned. 

I know my GPU compared to the multitudes GPUs created is on the snail scale.

The fps drops during loading screens is fairly normal, the system is loading everything in at once behind the loading screen so it temporarily tanks the fps. It does it for me too, my 75fps will drop to 20-30 then it'll go right back up to 75 once done loading. So that's not really anything to worry about. As for the not-responding thing I imagine it's just asking more than yer system is really comfortable with so it hangs fora  couple seconds as everything is loading. It's probably just windows thinking that it's not responding because it's having a hard time loading everything.

Edited by GentlePuppet

that isn't a bug - it should be obvious that the open areas like plains and the orb valis have a higher working load on your graphic cards and on your system memory (especially if you play on a notebook with shared mem). even more if you are hosting the mission. also, i would advise against any use of overclocking when it comes to warframe (yes, your turbo IS the inbuild overclocking - bad though if you can't turn it off easily).

the real problem though is quite simple your vid-card - or more precisely the graphic chip (the intel) - it's not of much use for gaming and is also not recommended by DE. playing already at lowest setting should have give you that clue too, since warframe is pretty low in specs-requirements.