Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So how would you build the thrown melee weapons for dual wield now?

elimonater3

I've seen a lot of bickering and confusion regarding these but no actual answers. I'm looking for builds in regards to pistol + Thrown melee combo. Is the charged throw considered a heavy attack? Things of that nature. I'd love some insight if anyone has any. 

i don't see why that Throw wouldn't do things the same as the Heavy does otherwise. they should be the same other than Charged Heavy having a bit of an extra Multiplier.

as to how would i 'build it'? i just wouldn't at all.
as a very strong Thrown Melee aficionado, they're dead as a doorstop. all the flow is gone, total clunky clunkerson zone.
i'm not trying to stop you doing whatever you want to do, but i'm also going to be totally realistic with you.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, kwlingo said:

Not sure if there was an update since Melee 2.0 was released but melee Throws didn't benefit from Heavy attack mods. Unless they had a hotfix between that time till now, I'd say just build as normal.

Supposedly the charged throw when dual wielding benefits from heavy attack damage mods according to different posts I've seen but not the combo multiplier itself. 

22 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i don't see why that Throw wouldn't do things the same as the Heavy does otherwise. they should be the same other than Charged Heavy having a bit of an extra Multiplier.

as to how would i 'build it'? i just wouldn't at all.
as a very strong Thrown Melee aficionado, they're dead as a doorstop. all the flow is gone, total clunky clunkerson zone.
i'm not trying to stop you doing whatever you want to do, but i'm also going to be totally realistic with you.

i know they fixed the unique ability with the orvius from the most recent hotfix, maybe DE is trying to fix the issues with thrown melee? Hopefully it can be completely fixed

43 minutes ago, elimonater3 said:

i know they fixed the unique ability with the orvius from the most recent hotfix, maybe DE is trying to fix the issues with thrown melee? Hopefully it can be completely fixed

they'd have to undo everything about Melee v3 for Thrown Melee to fix them. every single thing that was changed nerfed them and made them clunkier to use.

Had some information off-memory with some of the odd throw mechanics but I figured I'd do some extra testing to provide more comprehensive details.

Charge Damage : Applies to the explosion on both Throwing modes. The impact of the Glaive on targets is not affected.

Charge Speed : Reduces Heavy Attack charge time in Melee mode.

Attack Speed : Reduces charge time in Dual-Wield. Worth noting is that while the charge mechanic does seem to indicate that you need to time it on the blue marker, you don't actually need to do that to perform a Charged Throw. You can hold it down to completion and it will still perform a Charged Throw meaning Attack Speed does not impact it negatively.

Combo multiplier : Similar to Charge Attack, only applies a damage bonus to the explosion in both modes. Combo is only consumed on the explosion. The hits from the throws will build Combo if not detonated.

Critical Chance : Explosions do not have any critical chance so they are only applied to the hit portion of the throw.

It boils down quite a bit to what purpose does your Glaive serve. The Orvius is definitely the outlier of the bunch in how you build as it's remote bomb means it will always do a detonation on the target it hits. This probably won't work as well with most other Glaives as they have to be manually detonated (Power Throw do not seem to detonate them anymore). You will want to go with Combo > Charge Damage since Charge Damage do not seem to provide the full damage multiplier while Corrupted Charge will essentially double the explosion damage off the bat(2200+ to 2600+ with Killing Blow vs 2200+ to 4400+ with Corrupted Charge after Damage/Elemental mods).

You can somewhat build a bouncing Glaive (Falcor is pretty good for this due to homing mechanics but has poor Crit stats to really showcase its value) that relies on Blood Rush to bounce between multiple enemies, racking up combos for more critical damage. Can't give any certainty on its value though, the hit portions of the throws are generally really weak in comparison to the explosion, that can build up damage from both Combo and Charge Damage. Maybe if you can maintain a big multiplier with high Critical Damage, it might be an interesting alternative to bombing yourself with some unlucky bounces. Might have some niche uses with Weeping Wounds as a crowd status applicator as an alternative.

As a backup melee weapon, Glaives are in a pretty weird spot with Dual-Wielding being pretty bad. The sweeps are decent but it lacks reliable functionality with its only key value being that the 3rd swing will knock enemies in front of you down. It also gimps your jump attack into a single spin per jump as opposed to the Melee-mode repeatable 3-part spin. A bouncing Glaive would be better for this role and if you do intend to use it to sweep enemies nearby in Melee mode, it can perform surprisingly well with Range mods.

Due to the general oddities with Glaives, I find myself mostly focusing on core Damage + Elemental + Primed Reach just to level it off to a decent all-rounder. Unless it's the Orvius, the explosions are not the most reliable thing and while a bouncing Glaive will perform decently as an actual melee weapon, I don't want to have to deal with sustaining the combo.

Edited by RX-3DR