Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE: Let us use mods at a reduced level, even if they have been upgraded

IamLoco

DE: I would love to upgrade some of those primed mods to their maximum level - but too often I don´t do that because this would mean that I cannot use them on a dozen frames, weapons or companions after the upgrade. Because the upgraded versions would exceed the mod capacity of these.

The current solution is: Either forma the frame/weapon OR get a duplicate of that mod and level that up to the fitting degree.

I think neither of those solutions is player friendly.

I would rather suggest or recommend a solution where we can use any mod at any level UP TO THE MAXIMUM LEVEL that we´ve upgraded that mod to.

So let´s say I upgrade a Primed Continuity to level 10, but this would exceed the mod capacity of my Banshee, which uses that mod at level 9 - then Banshee should still be able to use this mod at level 9, although it has the upgrade to lvl 10.

The current system doesn´t encourage upgrading mods at all, it´s an obstruction.

The more frames / weapons we have, the more strenuous the upgrade of a certain mod becomes.

Edited by IamLoco
  • Like 10

Well, it gives a reason to have multiple copies of mods and is another Endo sink.  Which I see as plusses in the big picture.

My problem with it isn't needing to have duplicates:  it's that duplicates make an already cumbersome build UI just that much more unpleasant to deal with.  Especially with the stupid weapon / companion weapon  mod conflicts.

Fix those things--whether with a better UI or mod underclocking or both--and I'm a lot happier with that aspect of the game.

See, if the problem is bad code, then it probably should be fixed, even if they don't do this in the end.

If done properly, it shouldn't be to hard to implement. I.E., if I want to equip a mod, then the game should just keep track of whether or not I have had that mod in the past, whether or not I still have at least one copy that mod, and what the highest rank I have have leveled that mod to, at which point I could then equip the mod at any rank up to the highest rank achieved. The Codex could be used to show all of the mods a player has ever owned at least one copy of, and the max rank that mod has been fused to, while the Mods screen would remain mostly as it is now, with the exception that ranking a mod would not separate it from its duplicates (as all duplicates would share rank). This would wind up getting rid of the ability to trade ranked mods (you would be ranking up your entire pile of that mod, not each one individually, and if traded away, it would stack with the receiving player's pile of that mod, inheriting the rank of the pile, and if they had none of that mod it would become a new pile with a rank of the highest rank ever achieved for that mod on that account), but would allow for a far greater freedom in modding, and ultimately require players to farm their own endo or trade for ayatans, instead of being able to buy max rank mods directly.

I learn best with practical examples, so I'll make one here. Assume I currently have 5 Overextended in my inventory. One is at rank 5 (max), one is at rank 2, and three are un-ranked. Under the new system, I would have a 'pile' of 5 Overextended in my inventory, and my account rank for that mod would be 5. If I sell one of these mods to another player, then my 'pile' goes down to 4, and the player I traded with has his 'pile' go up by 1. If that player never had that mod before, it would have a account rank of 0. If that player had formerly had that mod, leveled it to rank 3, and then sold/transmuted/otherwise lost that mod, then when I sold them a new copy, their account rank would still be 3.

One key thing to note is that account rank would be tracked in both the Mods screen and the Codex, but only the Mods screen would have ability to rank up the mod, and the Mods screen would only show mods currently owned, thus only allowing mods currently owned to be ranked.

The main exception to all of this is Rivens. Rivens would remain exactly as they are now, as far as code, as they are already somewhat different from 'normal' mods. They would retain their ranks intrinsically, rather than being account-based.

That would be quite nice though im not sure how mods would be stored in their database.Since De is quite famous for spaghetti code it might break a lot of things?

Also if you have the same mod equipped on another warframe if you lower the rank of that mod on say your excal would it automatically lower the mod on another frame?

There might be some technical hickups there but hey im not a developer or coder so I dunno

3 hours ago, (PS4)Navalhabr said:

And how the game will know which mods you want to use at LV 10?

Simple, you can't exit the arsenal if you've exceeded the amount of mod level that's available for your Warframe, Weapons, ETC.

CMtGK86.jpg

Taken from Tennoware.com - the website owner was able to come up with a simple solution, just add a + or - next to the mod.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, (PS4)Navalhabr said:

Cool idea, but will cause more trouble than you think.

You will need multiple mods anyway to control the "overflow".

And how the game will know which mods you want to use at LV 10?

Ex: Primed Continuity and Primed Flow in the same build.

the last mod you insert gets the lower rank...

12 minutes ago, TamePingu said:

Narrow-Minded-Mod-U.png

Just a lil' something I put together.

Front end developers often have diminished understanding to make the backend work.    I can honestly see this as a bit of a major headache to my intuition of their data structure.  

Goes back to the notion of how much time would it take to tell me "where a person took a picture" vs "now tell me if it is a bird".    One is pretty easy....one is 1000's of hours and will always be prone to errors.

Edited by Chappie1975
  • Like 2

Would i want this? Yes absolutely.

Will it open up a reason for me to try out different builds? Yes, for me at least.

Will DE actually do this thing that has been requested multiple times in the past? Since it doesn't add to their Plat sells directly and would be "too much effort" for pure QoL they probably wont.

Am i going to defend DE due to their unwillingness or inability to make the changes? No , they have made many other changes to the mod system over the years and have not considered this.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chappie1975 said:

Front end developers often have diminished understanding to make the backend work.    I can honestly see this as a bit of a major headache to my intuition of their data structure.  

Goes back to the notion of how much time would it take to tell me "where a person took a picture" vs "now tell me if it is a bird".    One is pretty easy....one is 1000's of hours and will always be prone to errors.

This. I always find it funny when somebody says 'I made a picture of what it should look like, so it must be easy'...

On a less sarcastic note, the only way I could see something like this working is if they introduced a system whereby you could downgrade mods in the same way you upgrade them (using credits and endo). Would that mean you can alter them all on the fly? No, but then again there's a popular phrase concerning having your cake and eating it...

Edited by (XB1)TwinStripeUK
Edited for 'Gollum grammar'...

10 hours ago, Mikaer88 said:

Simple, you can't exit the arsenal if you've exceeded the amount of mod level that's available for your Warframe, Weapons, ETC.

CMtGK86.jpg

Taken from Tennoware.com - the website owner was able to come up with a simple solution, just add a + or - next to the mod.

Yeah, but they don't need to store the data.

For each mod Slot in each warframe (config A, B, C ...) they will need to register the current level of the Mod.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Mikaer88:

CMtGK86.jpg

very good idea or make it simple:

4 points left but mod require 8 points. when you equip mod it will automatically downscale to 4 points.

2 hours ago, Chappie1975 said:

Well, the point of my exercise was to make minimal changes to the GUI while adding the functionality that was suggested here. Wether it is feasible or indeed needed is an altogether different thing.

Why would you NOT use max ranked mods and instead use lower ranked ones? I dunno, but look at the pretty picture.