Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Things DE Ignores: MLK Holiday and Black History Month

(XBOX)DarknessZeref

As a black person, I fully expect all types of “they ignore this and they ignore that” in response. I also notice when holidays or tributes dealing specifically with our people are ignored. We can’t get a fist in the air emote or anything? A free the people event? A post? A mention in live-stream? I watched DE Megan ON MLK Day say there was nothing special about the day...confused. A simple bat of the eye in recognition or respect for the thousands of rescue missions done each day with their relation to the Underground Railroad and it’s significance? But for sure we’ll get items for St. Patrick’s day like clockwork.

It isn’t the end of the world, or a revocation of loyalty, but the pleasure is certainly mine to watch this post sit unanswered for the entirety of BHM for 2020 (As the topic has since Warframe's inception), setting an eerie precedent for continued behavior DE has already displayed in ignoring player suggestions. That, and diversity quotas. Sheesh.

Edited by (XB1)DarknessZeref
Revised Conclusion

Most people outside of US aren't even aware that things like MLK Day and BHM exist.

Stop pushing your socio-political issues on everyone.

Edited by Guest

Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Black History Month (also known as African-American History Month) are observances in the United States, not Canada.

And DE is a Canadian company.

They're not willfully ignoring those things, Canada just doesn't observe MLK Jr. Day or African-American History Month.

• Like 4

Also most warframe players are not black, why they should observe that? Specially those that are from countries that had nothing to do with it? (for example: DE is owned by a Chinese company... they never participated in USA slavery history, so why they should care about it at all?)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, (PS4)chubbslawson said:

It seems like in America that we observe way too many things 

Not really a bad thing?  The US is made up of hundreds of different cultures and considering the premise of its formation, it shouldn't have a short list of things to celebrate or observe.  

If something isn't your jam, just keep on with your own stuff.  There is 0 obligation to participate.

3 hours ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

As a black person, I fully expect all types of “they ignore this and they ignore that” in response. I also notice when holidays or tributes dealing specifically with our people are ignored. We can’t get a fist in the air emote or anything? A free the people event? A post? A mention in live-stream? I watched DE Megan ON MLK Day say there was nothing special about the day...confused. A simple bat of the eye in recognition or respect for the thousands of rescue missions done each day with their relation to the Underground Railroad and it’s significance? But for sure we’ll get items for St. Patrick’s day like clockwork.

It isn’t the end of the world, or a revocation of loyalty, but it certainly leaves an icky taste in our mouths. 

Honestly, 100% ok with St. Patrick's not being a thing.  Same with the other religion specific events. 

But, they promote the calendar events that they can make money off of or support their own views.  They aren't making the game to show support for things that don't effect them, in anyway, especially when it doesn't make them money. 

Although, it would be nice to have community sourced awareness spotlights. Let players make their own little xawareness,  xhistory blurbs somewhere. 

• Like 1

Probably because DE is a Canadian company.

I'm from Brazil and the only time you'll hear about MLK here is in some US movies, and still 99% of the Brazilian population still won't know who he was and what he has done.

My point is, some country-specific special days mean nothing/aren't relevant to other countries.

Edited by (PS4)Quantaminum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

It isn’t the end of the world, or a revocation of loyalty, but it certainly leaves an icky taste in our mouths. 

As another black person, Warframe doesn't need to celebrate that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DoomFruit said:

Still, this is a travesty. I demand that they observe St. George's Day, Bastille Day, the German Reunification anniversary, Red October and a gazillion other things that might or might not be celebrated in various countries across the world.

Okay, not to be rude, but you can demand all you want. They are a Canadian company, and so maybe they aren't holidays for them. Plus they have the right to not do something if they don't want to.

2 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

I demand that they observe St. George's Day

Man, wait till we're able to observe it in England again before we worry about other countries.

1 minute ago, --Aegis--TaDoogThtWas said:

Okay, not to be rude, but you can demand all you want. They are a Canadian company, and so maybe they aren't holidays for them. Plus they have the right to not do something if they don't want to.

Whoosh.

5 minutes ago, KaizergidorahXi said:

I watched DE Megan ON MLK Day say there was nothing special about the day...confused.

Like others have said, MLK Day is an American holiday, and DE is a Canadian Company, so it isn't a holiday for them. And what if Meg didn't know about it?

Edited by --Aegis--TaDoogThtWas

34 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

Still, this is a travesty. I demand that they observe St. George's Day, Bastille Day, the German Reunification anniversary, Red October and a gazillion other things that might or might not be celebrated in various countries across the world.

DE did on at least one occasion celebrate Bastille Day. There's even a colour picker for it. They also had a colour picker for the 4th of July, which is just about the most American holiday there is.

That said, while I think it's a good idea for Americans to reflect on Black History and its contributions to our country, you certainly can't blame DE for not implementing it in the game or even knowing it exists, given that they're Canadian.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Letter13 said:

Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Black History Month (also known as African-American History Month) are observances in the United States, not Canada.

And DE is a Canadian company.

They're not willfully ignoring those things, Canada just doesn't observe MLK Jr. Day or African-American History Month.

But DE, you're selling a "free" good on a global market...

Is it so bad to get your toes wet with creating Tenno themed events which mimic events or holidays celebrated in other countries?

Edited by (NSW)MasterDarkwingz

DE doesn't celebrate german holidays either. How dare they ignore the day of german unity?

Those scoundrels!

What do you mean they're a canadian company? They HAVE to do the things I say, I'm the customer!

Sarcasm aside,

you need to calm down.

18 hours ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

but it certainly leaves an icky taste in our mouths. 

So basically, you're getting ticked off because a game company (that isn't even in the USA) doesn't celebrate a holiday that literally only exists in that one country?

Come on. 

Heck, I didn't even know this was a thing over there in the U.S.

Uh... Sorry for asking, I'm not an American and seldom watch the streams, when precisely is MLK day? 

Is it one of those "same day every year" days or is it one of the "second Tuesday after this specific date"? (I mean it could be a "this specific day every year but on a true lunar calendar which nobody outside of a particular religion uses" we have like 3 of those where I'm from.... Edit: on further thought it's at least 5 major ones, hard to keep track of all of them, my country has a lot of holidays.) 

Hmmm maybe I should just google it. 

Edited by (PS4)guzmantt1977
You have no idea how many holidays we have. Probably explains why we hardly ever get anything done on time.

As a black person myself, it... doesn't really matter to me? And also, as a Canadian, I (and a lot of other Black Canadians) are very well aware of it, but... it really isn't something the majority of the community in Canada deals with as the history between Canada and the black community isn't nearly as tumultuous as the history between the US and the black community. The most that I've personally seen is at schools where they talk about it, but the extremities vary from school to school (and I'm only referring to schools in Toronto and it's only based off of the 3 or 4 schools that I've been in my elementary and secondary years).

Martin Luther King Day is just not observed Canada-wide as he's American. The City of Toronto and City of Ottawa have proclamations for MLK Day (2010 and 2005 respectively), but I haven't heard of the events that they do (in fact, this is the first time I've heard that they do that). As for Black History Month, the Canadian government has a section at Canada.ca, but that's... more or less about it (and their focus is more on the legacy of Black Canadians rather than the black community as a whole or any sort of movements). Basically, these events are fairly new in Canada and so it's not very well observed here, so I can understand why DE has been pretty quiet about it.

That said, to me, I feel as if Black History Month and Martin Luther King Day are too... serious (for lack of a better word) to be used in this game. Other events, such as Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Halloween, Christmas, etc. (disclaimer: not saying that any of them are silly) can be used in fun ways without insulting anyone or decreasing the event's significance. Even as a black person, I'm struggling to see what they can do within the game itself to do it in a fun way without depreciating or disgracing the significance of the events (while still maintaining the way how the Origin System and the individual factions work; there are no factions that would have something akin to the Underground Railroad, for example (no, Solaris United isn't the same as slavery)).

Anyway, all I can say right now is that it's not something that DE is willingly attempting to ignore, but, like many people in this thread are saying, the amount of acknowledgement within Canada in itself isn't really large enough and old enough for DE to actually say anything (that said, an acknowledgement from the community team would be nice, but I'm not up in arms about it).

But anyway, that's my two cents about it.

Edited by (NSW)MasterJ93
  • Like 3

Wtf, when do video games celebrate MLk or black history month? Why should warframe celebrate these things? This game that place in a far off future where races as Africans don't exist anymore closet we might have are the dax but it's hard to say with so many generations mixing together placing warframe's races origins are hard in alot of cases.

• Like 1

My opinion has little worth in this, but I'll just give my 2 cents.

Forget about nationalism and DE being a Canadian company. Forget about a holiday being celebrated in one country only, or even what the contents of said holiday are. While it's true and I concur with what many have said in this thread, I don't particularly see it as the main reason for DE to celebrate these types of holidays (partly). For me it boils down to 3 core questions regarding each holiday:

--- ---

Is it known worldwide? - This is pretty much what is said above. MLK and Black History, despite being known as an historic fact throughout the world ("everyone" knows black slavery was a thing once upon a time) they don't necessarily know about the US celebration about it. Which is not bad at all, given that black slavery wasn't the only issue with humankind in the course of it's history. I mean, it was a bad thing. But it's not by far the only sin of humanity, and it shouldn't be any more important than what the Jews had to endure on WWII, or LGBT+ people, or women. In short, while DE *could* celebrate this holiday and recognize it in their game, it opens up a precedent for other people who might want to be recognized within the game. Which takes us to the more important second point.

---

Warframe is a game about space ninjas and stuff. We can celebrate some of the more general-themed celebrations such as Christmas, Easter, St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, etc. But that's just it. It isn't celebrated necessarily for the ties these events have to history, it's just a happy excuse to party and unite the community.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas in a christian way, yet we still adapt it in-game as Tennobaum as an excuse to share the love among the community and include the whole planet. Because it's not about celebrating or mourning human history, but instead to just use the concept to unite us all regardless of skin color, religion, ethnicity, sexual preference, and so on. When we celebrate Tennobaum we are not celebrating or focusing on a single group of people - We are celebrating everyone, and human kindness, at the same time.

Take also St. Patrick's day. It's not so much a global event as Christmas. But it sure is known internationally. Very much so. But not due to history reasons. Most people who know St. Patrick's day are aware it exists, but mostly because it's all about partying and drinking (which is as much an excuse for general partying as Christmas is) and most people know little more than the little green elf, the four-leafed-cover and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

It's all about the essence of the celebration itself, and how generalized and non-restrictive it is. It's about sharing the love at it's purest form, not emphasizing a particular human group.

---

Finally, as a third reason and going back to Warframe being a game about ninja's and stuff, I personally play it as a fantasy game. We can have Tennobaum and whatnot as they're excuses to party in general (and they're time limited), but I'd like to leave the human aspect out of the game as much as possible. I just want to grab my war machine (the frame) and go around swooping heads. I play to escape from reality, not to have it chase me into the game. Regardless of the reason, unless it's one that has the power to touch everyone in the world and is pure-hearted. So the less human influence and reality the game has, all the better to me and my mental health.

This point is, however, more personal. So others may not feel it. But I sure do.

--- ---

So, to end it:

There's also an extra reason. "The moneys". Is it a world-wide known event? Then more people might be enticed into participating in it, possibly even spending money. So it becomes a bit more worthwhile to waste a bit more of dev time into creating items for such events knowing they'll likely get a fair return. All this, while not dividing the community, which doesn't cost PR image to DE. So it all boils down to playing it safe, financially speaking. Sometimes steering clear of potential PR disasters is the best course of (in)action.

It's not to say there's no exceptions to this. As mentioned above we have the Chinese New Year every once in a while. Bastille day occurred, and so forth. But those are mainly either events made to appease to the chinese influence in Warframe (so, mostly business), or as one-off celebrations that you don't see anymore. There's even events like the Leukemia one or the Australian bushfire ones - which as said above are meant to bring together the community as a whole in order to try and help those in need - and I think it all boils down to this. To the essence of what it is to celebrate within a community, regardless of individual circumstances.

Kindly,

A mere white, LGBT+ and clinically depressed human roaming this fine earth that we all share. But who still wants everyone to be happy!

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93
  • Like 3

On 2020-02-08 at 1:38 AM, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

The entire world is not american, believe it or not.

• Like 2