Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do We UI Like We UI: Part II?

[DE]Rebecca

35 minutes ago, (PS4)slova77 said:

If "hold to confirm" needed to be added anywhere else, it would definitely be to the "force start" option when in public squads. Running radiant relics with public squads means you have about an 80% chance that someone force starts the mission on accident before everyone is ready because they double tapped start (square). 

33 minutes ago, (PS4)BlightDragon89 said:

In my experience that happens for two reasons, bad player or new player. The toxic players do that because they only care about themselves, and the new players do it because they don't know better.

I would like to see an updated mission start system that would deal with both issues, but the hold to start would at least help new players I think.

The mission voting UI needs improving for being more obvious what the button does, and the buttons move around and cause people to accidentally click things they don't want to, they need to be always there and grayed out if unavailable.

Something like:

[P1] [P2] [etc...] Voting: Node, Planet - MissionType - Faction - ExtraInfo.

[Vote Play] [Vote Against] [Force Start]

Each button would be grayed out depending on the current state of the vote.

The "Vote Against" one needs to be renamed to "Leave Squad" in the contexts that make you leave squad instead of cancelling vote.

Or the functionality needs to be made consistent so you never leave squad when pressing that the first time.

46 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

There is currently no word on this.

along these lines, I think it should definitely count as a bug that arrow keys don't work in the menus, when it would typically be waaay faster if they did.  If you try to use arrow keys, the cursor just goes nuts instead of to where you might intend to use it.

Can we PLEASE get what items are currently vaulted? An icon or something?

Secondly. Can we hide items? I have at least 40+ things that I don't want to build in my foundry. I don't want to have to scroll through them every time.

52 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

All of the philosophical points in Part I remain consistent - Part II mainly highlights some action items we are taking based on feedback.

Good.

The problem with the part 1 post wasen't the philosophy.

It was that it was that the emphasis was on the wrong information and it left some crucial things out. 

It got a really strong reaction because part of what makes warframe difficult for new players is the absence of information in game, and it was an example of that.

This post is a step in the right direction.

47 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

‘Hold to Confirm’ Experiment.
We are removing this experimental interaction in most cases - it’s only staying in real-time combat scenarios to prevent accidental clicking. 

The removal of Hold to Confirm will be implemented first in the Intrinsic and Avionics screens, where places you would normally Hold to Confirm will now simply require a click + Dialog like usual.

The addition of Hold to Confirm is going to be placed in the ‘Abort Mission’ screen (on death) to prevent accidental Mission aborting, as well as remain in the real-time Railjack Payload and Refine management. 

Sounds like a plan, honestly, especially with recent talks about this problem showing up in arbitrations.

50 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Item Details: Detailed Purchase Dialog
This screen actually starts with a story - the day we had our Dev Workshop review meeting, we also released the Kuva Nukor, Kuva Hind, and Kuva Bramma. Players immediately began chat-linking these items to view their details. All Stats are hidden behind a ‘hover’ on About, and thus we had a perfect day to make a decision on the changes for this screen since we could watch in real-time how players interacted with the new content.

As a result, we will be re-tooling this screen to be less hover-dependent and provide stat information at a glance, as seen here in this mockup: 

Thank you. This screen is a much better setup. 

You could also put purchase options on top of stats and turn back stats into a hover over that pops its info ui over/to the rigtht/under the "About" hover-over or turn it into a button that does the same. I really loathed 0 info UI with about hover popping to the right of the "about" when there are more than enough space down there. But now it's more cluttered up on that side of the screen so to the right is fine on this iteration. You guys want slick UI that looks good and players want something they won't need to spend too much effort so putting important S#&$ on screen is a good idea while keeping stats covered. Or you guys could make an "About" hover/button with important stats under it like Critical Chance, Critical Damage, Status Chance, Fire Rate, Type of weapon (Secondary Beam or Primary Rifle), and which of the IPS/Element damage types it's able to deal by default.

Not on this post but also it'd be cool to have % chances of status procs for weapons given to us while modding so we don't have to math it out. It'd be cool because a lot of players don't know why their weapon doesn't proc corrosive as much as they calculated because they don't know about IPS or how innate multishot works with status.

I'm glad to see this response to community feedback. These are great changes.

18 minutes ago, Hera.Ci said:

Starting a new lich would be a great Hold-To-Confirm

Yeah i agree. I've created two on accident, mostly because I space out doing the mission 15 times in a row and muscle memory kicks in because I've been murmur farming thralls. So that would help a bit, though I've also become more cautious, though I might not keep that up over time...

Thanks for the info! Very excited to see what the team comes up with in the final pass! 

The weapon detail screen is without doubt improved by showing information, mastery, number of forma, catalyst and all of the stats. Still, I have a suggestion for the visual aspect of it. The whole concept of showing a warframe holding the gun from really far away somewhat defeats the purpose of the screen visually? Isn't the player there to see the weapon itself? What if you used a close up of the weapon hovering over a pedestal (just like in leverian)? Just a close up, rotatable 3D model of the weapon with a grayscale gradient behind it. It would save the resources of having to render an entire warframe into the frame, make the screen less chaotic and more elegant. We don't ever see our weapons close up and we miss a lot of the detail, so this would be a great chance to gain a fresh appreciation for the game's art!

Also, looks like I'm one of the only people who thought "hold to confirm" was a great idea. It shortens the time and movement needed to perform an action. It is more efficient in every single way. Oh well, tyranny of the majority, I guess. 😂

57 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hold to Confirm ... remain in the real-time Railjack Payload and Refine management. 

I still think this is a more apt place to *remove* the hold confirmation.  Its even less "real-time" when there's a full second delay.

58 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

These should improve a lot of interactions for any controller users on PC or Console

It would be appreciated if you'd also review the number/placement of snap points the cursor uses. I tend to use the DPad a lot, not just because dragging the cursor is slow, but because the DPad snapping the cursor is usually more repeatable and accurate.  But some screens, like color customization for example, there are bars where there are now 2 small color boxes with half the size of normal selections.  With the DPad the cursor snaps to the middle of the bar (which by default will result in modifying the first color), but there's no quick way to snap to the second color.  Using the joystick to hit the second color takes patience, as its kinda small to hit.  Making the cursor move faster makes this harder.

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Click to ‘Forge All’ in Dry Dock before you head out on a mission.

Is there any plan for using our Intrinsic forging bonuses in dry-dock?  Shouldn't a character have the same forging capabilities whether they are in mission or in dock?

Thank you for considering our feedback.

This is definitely a good step in the right direction, a few screens still need better presenting though, the abilities screen comes to mind. There's no sense in hiding information behind needless hovers and combination clicks on a screen that is supposed to be 100% dedicated to information on the subject. Also, a nice change for the store previews would be to have (instead of rotating dioramas that you can't interact with) the item model on display that you can rotate 360 degrees on your own. Maybe also an option to play the weapon/ability sounds could be fun

Will you add more filter options in the market, nightwave and arsenal?

Like hovering on each helmed to see if they are crafted is annoying, same for mastered or in the forge equipments. Sorting weapons by type would be helpful for me. Also sorting skins by frame could be easier. Or the option to hide mastered equipment from the by stuff in the arsenal.

I am curious about why you are going back on the hold button option.

How about when selecting mods, be it for fusion or dissolving for mucho endo, we get [hold click] to select the entire stack, and let single click only select 1 and bring up the amount box. 

This way i dont have to click mod, click arrow for all, then click ok. 

Also. Hold click might be good for foundry to craft items instead of click then click to confirm. 

Also. Fusion. Hold to fuse selected mod spending as much available endo as would fit. Rather than click mod, click fusion, click click click click clickety click click to select all levels, then click yet again to confirm. 

Also, refining relics. A simple hold to radiant or even hold to equip, instead of click to select, click to select refinement level, click twice again to refine and confirm, then click equip, then click to confirm. 

So much clicking omg ... 

Thicc cliccs m8. 

@[DE]Rebecca

vor 2 Stunden schrieb [DE]Rebecca:

End of Mission
As we work on the re-design of this screen, we will ensure there is an expanded version of the screen you can access. Once you choose this expanded version, the game will remember it and only present you with this version of the screen for future missions, until you choose to collapse it again. We are still working on mockups for this which will come in a future Workshop or Devstream! 

Will this still keep the stat screen as a seperate screen? I think it would be very healthy for the community if there was less focus on the 'damage dealt' stat. Maybe even move it to the bottom of the list.

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

we believe our role of storytellers also applies in the UI

Usability should always take priority for "theme" and "story". If your interfaces are frustrating to use, you will knock your players out of the limited "story" you have.

Even in horror games, where the goal is to remove player agency and install a feeling of powerlessness... if the UI is actively fighting the players they will feel like they are being treated "unfairly" and they are "losing because of the bad UI".

Ever since the "immersive" UI of Update 14, 5 years ago, this is where Warframe's general UI state has been over all. We don't "play with" the UI, we play "in spite of" the UI. You've had the community feedback on this for years. I don't feel a need list the major points again. You've agreed to disagree

drag to rotate should ideally be implemented on all previews of market items

52 minutes ago, Brasten said:

Usability should always take priority for "theme" and "story". If your interfaces are frustrating to use, you will knock your players out of the limited "story" you have.

Even in horror games, where the goal is to remove player agency and install a feeling of powerlessness... if the UI is actively fighting the players they will feel like they are being treated "unfairly" and they are "losing because of the bad UI".

Ever since the "immersive" UI of Update 14, 5 years ago, this is where Warframe's general UI state has been over all. We don't "play with" the UI, we play "in spite of" the UI. You've had the community feedback on this for years. I don't feel a need list the major points again. You've agreed to disagree

maybe soon this company will finally understand that having almost all ui tied to actual ingame objects and forcing animations of almost all ui actions may not be the best idea

2 hours ago, (NSW)Flutterdrive said:

can you guys please add an indication for relics that are vaulted/currently out for the prime vault? something like a (V) at the end of the relic name or icon. (PV) for prime vault as well. needing to click every single relic in order to know which not to use is tedious 

They do have an icon in game already for vaulted relics. It is just hidden when you are looking, you have to hover over a relic and hit tab which then shows you the locations that relic drops and if it is vaulted it says that but also include a little icon it just needs to be moved from the second page to the first page.

2 hours ago, Voltage said:

This is a huge step in the right direction. Hopefully this mindset moves into the UI's that still need the overhaul (Profiles for example).

One piece of feedback:

On items that have more than 1 fire mode, melee with heavy attack stats, etc., can the stats for each version be detailed side by side?

DPD.jpg.e895acf9bb71a1abf34addf050845b7b

This image is not bad, but it still has three quarters of the screen showcasing your Warframe instead of potentially valuable stats. If I am looking at Kuva Hind, having all three fire modes side by side would be leagues better than a scroll bar as shown in the current preview.

Excuse my terrible art skills, but this is what I am concerned about:

768d4844ba848fb67d50562202e6b727.png

I'm guessing you want something closer to this: https://imgur.com/rryqVZG

rryqVZG.png

Archived