Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discuss: Zephyr Overhaul Idea

FabuloustheGardevoir

When I first got Zephyr Prime, I thought (and still think) she's a really fun (if squishy) warframe to use, but her abilities left a lot to be desired. (Turbulence) is fine and all, but (Tailwind) was somewhat annoying to use unless you were in a large open place, (Airburst) felt super-pointless to me as a CC that I never use it, and (Tornado) was... meh at best.

... But then I came across a group of mods that really opened up her playstyle to one that was my kind of flavor. First it was [Aero Vantage] that made gliding her even more of a joy, since I didn't have to worry about this accursed thing called 'gravity' and gave me more control over her movement, then [Patagium] opened her up to even more air-time, and finally [Aerodynamic], [Aviator], and [Agility Drift], not only gave her even more airtime, but also made her actually stay alive in 40m arbritration runs while I laid waste to swathes of enemies with my Venka Prime critbuild.

I realized she had amazing potential to be a hover-tank, but that still left the question for her abilities to be mostly unused aside from (Turbulence). 

So that got me thinking up a good overhaul for this beautiful birb lady, with thighs thicc enough to crush Grineer steel between them.

(initial proposal)

Spoiler

=====

Passive: while airborne, move faster, fall 35% slower, and have 6% evasion

Skills

1. Tailwind
    • instant, 
      • grounded: 'bunny hops' into the air with the power of the wind, immediately launching her straight up at the height of two jumps while releasing an explosion of air around her, dealing meager Impact damage with 25% status chance
        • damage is affected by ability strength, but status chance isn't
      • airborne: dash forward in the camera's direction at current (Tailwind)'s default speed, pulling and ragdolling enemies within a small contact radius around her for a second (duration refreshes each cast) 
    • charged (1 second max, can be released early and held indefinitely), 
      • grounded: multiplies height of launching into the air, damage dealt, and becomes 100% status chance
      • airborne: multiplies dash strength, momentum, contact radius and contact duration
    • NO ANIMATION LOCKING: she can cast the ability as fast and as frequently as the player can press the button and has the energy for it
    • augment [Divebomb], impacting the ground at an angle more than 45-degrees while dashing forward will create a shockwave similar to [Heavy Landing]
      • in fact, [Heavy Landing] and [Divebomb] will stack additively with each other
  2. Whirlwind
    • instant, creates a mini-vortex of whipping air on the aimed area for a duration that stays in place and deals Cold damage per second
    • charged (3 seconds max, can be released early and held indefinitely), creates a tornado that deals more damage per second and can now pull enemies into it, ragdolling them
      • has a slightly different visual effect from instant-cast vortexes
      • certain enemies can't be pulled, like bosses
      • pulled enemies can't escape the vortex, unlike current (Tornado)
    • vortexes and their AoE phase through all entities, objects and the environment
    • ability range affects not only its affecting AoE, but also its size, width and height
    • both instant and charged vortexes can be attacked by both allies and enemies to impart the weapons' damage onto it
      • elemental type will always remain Cold
      • ability strength multiplies absorbed damage proportionally
    • both instant and charged vortexes can be moved to another location: point the aim reticle at the vortex until it's highlighted, zoom in on the vortex, and move the camera towards the area you want to move it, before finally releasing the button; the vortex will then move to the spot at 5 meters per second
    • limited to one tornado per skill rank, maximum of 3 tornadoes to exist at rank 3; casting (Whirlwind) again will deactivate the oldest tornado
    • augment [Super Typhoon], can only cast one vortex, but its visual size, AoE, and damage are multiplied significantly
  3. Turbulence
    • same as current (Turbulence), except it's a toggled ability that drains energy per second
    • augment [Coming Storm], going up to a (Whirlwind) vortex that she cast while (Turbulence) is active will pick up the vortex and surround herself in it, absorbing oncoming projectiles and even being able to pick up and ragdoll enemies around her if the vortex was charged, at the cost of higher energy drain per second
      • will not block the effects of explosive AoEs if the radius of the vortex isn't large enough
  4. Exalted Tonfas
    • different from most other exalted weapons
      • can't mod it: weapon shares almost all of its qualities, damage values, statuses, etc. with equipped melee weapon,
        • passive energy drain per second affected by ability duration
        • range multiplied by ability range
        • activation and energy drain per attack swing affected by ability efficiency
        • damage multiplied by ability strength
        • if no melee weapon is equipped, weapon will share the same stats as an umodded, base rank Kronen, with same effects from ability duration/efficiency/range/strength
      • innately uses [Gemini Crossing] stance
    • (ADDON) while active, the warframe will not be able to restore any energy from any source ([Energy Siphon], arcanes, Operator abilities, Orokin Void Death Orbs, etc.)
    • appearance is based solely on warframe energy colors
    • upon deactivation or running out of energy, immediately switches to melee weapon, or (if no melee weapon is equipped) to primary or secondary
    • augment [Umbral Wings], (Exalted Tonfas) deal 20% less damage overall, but 62.5% more damage against Sentients
      • this means (Exalted Tonfas) will deal 130% overall damage against Sentients, but only 80% against other factions

=====

(new proposal)

=====

special thanks to:

• TamePingu, for that interesting (Tailwind) synergy with (Tornado)
  • Birdframe_Prime, for extensive feedback and suggestion; also, for the record, I only added (Exalted Tonfas) because at the time I couldn't think of a better ability to replace her 4 after turning it into her 2

Passive: Light Weight, Big Impact

• Light Weight: Zephyr jumps higher, falls slower, extended aim glide/wall latch duration, improved bullet jump velocity, and 6% evasion while airborne
  • Big Impact: passive augment to the Melee Ground Slam. With a Melee equipped, Zephyr has a custom animation and adds a small amount of damage (after mods) to the ground slam based on her height.
    • If Zephyr does not have a melee equipped, she simply performs the animation with a very small amount of damage; looking at the ground and pressing Melee still works even without a melee weapon equipped
    • affected by mods that affect slam attacks like [Seismic Wave]

1. Tailwind
    • instant, 
      • grounded/airborne: dash forward in the camera's direction at current (Tailwind)'s default speed, pulling and ragdolling enemies within a small contact radius around her for a second (duration refreshes each cast) 
    • hold activate (half-second)
      • grounded: same as current (Tailwind), launching herself into the air and then hovering in place
      • airborne: simply stops and hovers in place, cancelling all momentum, and allowing in-air steering to take effect from the moment the ability is active; doesn't use any energy
    • NO ANIMATION LOCKING: remove animation entirely, and she can cast the ability as fast and as frequently as the player can press the button, and has the energy for it
    • uses less energy while airborne
    • modding is influenced by ability range and strength instead of duration: high Range build makes the base ability push Zephyr further and faster, but lowering the Strength makes her slow down more at the end in proportion; high Strength will allow Zephyr more momentum and a lower range will give her a shorter and proportionally slower distance, thus the mad dash becomes a more graceful bound through the air
    • using ability while inside the AoE of a (Tornado) funnel, it will explode (but not disappear), dealing Electric damage with 100% status chance within its AoE
    • augment [Target Fixation], each enemy hit gives a bonus multiplier to the next Big Impact, grace period of 2 seconds of staying on the ground or wall latching; becoming airborne again resets grace period; has a max multiplier
      • multiplier also affects burst damage with (Tornado) vortex, and will not reset multiplier
      • mods that affect slam attacks like [Seismic Wave] stack additively with [Target Fixation]
  2. Airburst
    • instant, throws a volley of projectiles at the aimed direction that lifts enemies (similar to [Exodia Epidemic]) and marks them with a pulsing blue aura, taking increased damage from all sources
    • lift duration is affected by ability duration
    • damage amplification is affected by ability strength
    • increased travel speed while Hovering from (Tailwind)
    • if (Tornado) is active, the nearest funnel(s) will track and move to the point of (Airburst)’s impact at a speed of 5m/s
      • if all funnels have been relocated by (Airburst) and are still active, the oldest to move will migrate to the new location first
    • augment [Air Inversion], (Airburst) no longer Lifts enemies, but temporarily tethers them to the point of impact; damage bonus to marked enemies is doubled.
  3. Turbulence
    • instant (2h animation), same as vanilla (Turbulence), with some bonuses
      • even with negative range, there’s a point where projectiles are completely unable to penetrate
      • flame throwers are also deflected
    • augment [Jet Stream], remains vanilla, and allows her to pick up a (Tornado) funnel that she casted to surround herself with, at the cost of halving the funnel's current duration;
      • can only pick up one funnel at a time
      • this lowers the count of active funnels, allowing Zephyr to cast another funnel
  4. Tornado
    • instant, creates a funnel of whipping air on the aimed area for a duration that stays in place, deals Cold damage with 100% status proc per second, and pulls enemies; uses less energy
    • half-second hold, create 4 funnels grouped together at point of cast that slowly drift outwards with even spacing from each other until they reach a fixed range
    • weapon hits from both allies and enemies will add damage and a bonus status 
    • ability range increases funnel draw range and fixed range of drift, but not their visual size
    • funnels and their AoE phase through all entities, objects and the environment
    • both instant and held funnels can be attacked by both allies and enemies to impart their weapons' damage and bonus elemental status onto it 
      • shares similar mechanics with vanilla (Tornado) in this regard
      • bonus damage is based around secondary elemental status
      • secondary elemental status will proc every half-second after the original Cold proc
      • ability strength multiplies base Cold damage and absorbed damage proportionally. 
    • augment [Funnel clouds], remains vanilla, make nearest 3 funnels target the point of impact from (Airburst)

=====

Thoughts?

Edited by FabuloustheGardevoir
typo correction
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FabuloustheGardevoir said:

can't mod it: weapon shares almost all of its qualities, damage values, statuses, etc. with equipped melee weapon,

Why do you think this is a good choice? I am not against Exalted Tonfas, but make them function the same as other exalted weapons (i.e. Modable).

3 minutes ago, FabuloustheGardevoir said:

Turbulence

• same as current (Turbulence), except it's a toggled ability that drains energy per second

If this change was to happen you would need to offset it with something. 

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

Why do you think this is a good choice? I am not against Exalted Tonfas, but make them function the same as other exalted weapons (i.e. Modable).

a few reasons why:

1. current Exalted Weapons have limitations put into them that really hinder their full potential to be realized:
    1. it cannot benefit from, nor contribute to the set bonus of any Set Mods (excluding the Sacrificial Mod Set; the Gladiator Mod Set can still apply if equipped on Melee or Robotic Weapons, and not on the Exalted Weapon itself).
    2. cannot equip Melee Combo Counter Mods (except Drifting Contact), Acolyte Mods (e.g., Blood Rush), or Amalgam Mods (e.g., Amalgam Organ Shatter).
  2. implication of #1 is that current exalted weapons cannot make use of mods that benefit from the combo counter, which is vital for the current meta of the game
  3. implication of #2 is that exalted weapons are only good up to mid-game content if it's not a stat-stick, and even when equipped as a stat-stick there are better stat-sticks out there that work a LOT better than current exalted weapons that it makes them mostly unused

my goal of making them based almost entirely on the equipped melee weapon is that it's a "things are starting to get serious" ability, like when facing a boss, or if you need just that brief, but massive boost in power to get out of a sticky situation of being surrounded by too many enemies your weapon can't anymore handle on its own

16 minutes ago, krc473 said:

If this change was to happen you would need to offset it with something. 

What do you mean? It's not enough for new (Turbulence) to have to use energy to activate, then drain energy per second, and therefore stop all energy regen from happening?

Well if you asking for thought here is from fellow Zephie player!
It is possible to make a 1h+ runs as Zephyr on arbitration and more, tho. But let's get to the point of amping up abilities.

PASSIVE of yours is quite simple and could be used a lot, so let's have it as it is.

Her 1 changes from you, well, remind me about what she was before the rework (kinda). Actually the idea of "no animation lockdown" is what was an actual "animation cancelling" that i miss a lot - you kinda just burst yourself with her 1 in a direction and keep your momentum while still able to cast all other abilities (in fact you could make this divebomb move you mentioned with her old 2 and 1 cuz you keep the momentum, cast 3 and all this good stuff, even attack airborne but now you can just cancel her 1 with a slam which is useful).

So here i suggest to return that feature, cuz the game pace will not be lost and also add some versatility. 

Second ability, airburst - well yea it's kinda meh CC that you can use while reloading without breaking the reload itslef, but it really need to get better. While we can not only make it a Vauban's vortex, we can make it an actual tornado-launching tool that moves and pick-ups all enemies that pass by until it reaches the designated location you aimed for. Tornado launch is nice (especially if you somewhat can control it a bit). But i sugged to remove 3-sec charge (you will be dead if you don't have her 3 up or something nasty get in melee range and also standing still is lame).

Turbulence should have jet stream augment as innate, toggle on/off is nice but also questionable, so i kinda against it BUT to compencate for this i suggest that augment will allow you to share you 3 with all allies that were in cast/affinity range. Teamplay YAY! No picking up vortex, nothing, just a regular 3 with some additions cuz it's good.

Removing tornadoes for ex. tonfas... well, nope. Straight up nope. It's a nice CC that can get you out of bad situations if you managed to get into one while you still have energy for her 1 and 3 combined (srsly). Zephyr is air based frame. Her tornadoes atm just need a seeking tool, probably that's it. Of course adding ability to "smack" enemies woth tornadoes out of her hands is cool, but that should function like any other exalted weapon with it's own moveset (where in each combo you can summon a tornado on slam attack and on heavy attack that tornado is waaay stronger at keep all dmg numbers of your original attack, even crit) or like really good version of Atlas's 1. Now that i'm thinking about it it CAN be really cool, but tornadoes must stay in one way or another.

If we Tailwind into a wall, make us latch automagically and start a small combo timer (kinda like atlas and ember have) and if you tailwind again you get bonus speed/damage, if you Tailwind into a wall again you basically divebomb into a wall and can keep the combo going, range/damage/speed scale with combo.

Tailwinding into a tornado makes it burst with an AOE (the tornado keeps going), combo affects this AOE too.

Remove second ability and replace it with some sort of party/area buff (Tailwind would now interract with tornados so airburst is redundant).

The shield is good, could make it interract with at least one other of her abilities in some meaningful way.

Not sure about tornados, they fling enemies out too often.

Passive -  maybe make it wok sort of like Gauss' battery. Only hers would base on turbulence; it would make you want to be airborne and zip around alot. Scale her abilities of how much turbulence she's caused/accumulated.

My 2c on this thread: Zephyr Rework Idea

Alrighty then, I saw these coming from the second DE put a picture of her on Twitter...

So hi, you can see my username, but a few of you might not know me. I'm the one that commented, debated and curated a combined total of over 600 Zephyr threads between 2016 and her first ever rework in early 2018.

Which in loose terms means I have a lot to say, but I'll try not to say it all.

Let's get on to your rework ideas!

Passive: You've gone with this idea

4 hours ago, FabuloustheGardevoir said:

Passive: while airborne, move faster, fall 35% slower, and have 6% evasion

Great! Somebody who knows that Zephyr's passive is a part of the game play and an asset to what the frame does, not a detriment to her movement. However... you do neglect the part of the community that absolutely doesn't get on with the current passive.

So, why not something a little more like this:

Spoiler

Passive: Light Weight, Big Impact.

Zephyr has always been a floaty frame and one of the biggest complaints is ‘get me down from here’. Well, guess what? I want to make her even more floaty, but give her that important aspect the other players demand: the quick landing.

Light Weight makes Zephyr jump higher, fall slower and allows her to steer in the air (as it does right now). It extends her aim glide duration, her Wall Latch and improves her Bullet Jump velocity, that’s new.

Big Impact is Dive Bomb, cut out of Tailwind for simplification and is a passive augment to the Melee Ground Slam. With a Melee equipped, Zephyr has a custom animation and adds a small amount of damage (after mods to ensure it’s not too powerful), to the ground slam based on her height. If Zephyr does not have a melee equipped, she simply performs the animation with a very small amount of damage. In other words, looking at the ground and pressing Melee still works even without a melee weapon equipped, it's quick and uses a system that we already would have been using on other frames.

Simple, direct, to the point. You get your ‘get me down from here’ button anywhere and everywhere, even on Primary Only Sorties, it follows existing rules and gives her a bit of uniqueness back after every frame got access to her mobility (from Parkour) and every frame got their own version of her Dive Bomb with basic Melee slams.

Now why would I cut Dive Bomb out of Tailwind and put it in her Passive? Wait and see.

1. Tailwind.

Your first instinct was the hop. That's actually really nostalgic and a bit of a sad memory. Zephyr's Tailwind literally used to do exactly that. DE removed that because players (not me) complained that they wanted to use Tailwind for the dash, not for the height. Some of them even went so far as to complain that if they did the dash and wanted to do a second one, they would sometimes hop just because they were a little too close to the ground.

DE won't bring that back because they don't Revert unless there's something functionally wrong with the changes they've made (for example, one of the only Reverts they've actually made in the last two years is bringing back manual Melee switching and the manual blocking).

DEpressing...

NO ANIMATION LOCKING:

YAAAASS!! Somebody else gets it ^^

Tailwind's animation lock, both the pose in the air and the crouching on the ground, are terrible. They interrupt everything, prevent reloads or other actions, and the Hover that comes from the grounded Tailwind has zero point to it. Well, zero point until we give it one here.

But again, I feel we need to go even further beyond.

Here, take a look at this:

Spoiler

1. Tailwind.

First, remove the animation completely. In a recent change DE patched this ability so that hitting an object cancelled the animation and allowed Zephyr the freedom to use the Wall Latch or Wall Run function to cancel her Momentum. This is a good change, but not enough. Why? Because unless you practice this Wall Latch cancelling, you still skitter across a wall and end up where you don’t want to be because of Momentum, and if you don’t hit a wall you’re stuck in the animation and then at the mercy of the Momentum afterwards anyway and have no way to stop save for Dive Bomb or the melee slam.

Removing the animation allows her existing passive of in-air steering to take effect from the moment the ability is active, adjusting her direction in a similar fashion to Gauss and allowing her to curve through the air instead of just hurtle forwards. Everyone likes curves, and curves allow her to pass through gaps that would normally have had her impact the edge and expend her momentum up against the wall instead.

The next fix is simple, but can seem complex because of how it changes Zephyr’s base modding… or rather… how it expands it.

Change the stats that affect Tailwind. Currently the ability is based solely on Duration for its travel. This affects how long you jet forwards, and therefore how fast you travel that distance, with 100% conservation of Momentum that, in many cases, actively punishes you for using high Duration. That momentum is a real headache anywhere that isn't the open landscapes.

Since Duration is also what keeps you alive with Turbulence and what keeps your CC/Damage up with Tornado, this is not the ideal situation.

Switch the modding to Range and Strength. A default, unmodded Tailwind will travel a set range at a fast pace and then slow down at the end with approximately 50% of the Momentum conserved. This allows hang-time, but doesn’t punch you into the scenery.

A high Range build makes the base ability push you further and faster, but lowering the Strength makes you slow down more at the end in proportion. Meanwhile a higher Strength will allow you more momentum and a lower range will give you a shorter and proportionally slower distance, thus the mad dash becomes a more graceful bound through the air.

Range and Strength are variable on Zephyr. While you never want to go into negative Range, you can go quite close to it without trouble (something I plan on fixing), or you can go right up to max Range to make the most of Turbulence’s defense. While Strength on Zephyr can go right down to minimum with a high range build, and up to past 200% if you’re building for a super Jet Stream or a Funnel Clouds setup.

So combinations could include a max-range, min-strength Tailwind that acts like the Operator Dash with low-gravity hang-time at the end, while a neutral-range and 200% Strength will arc you over the Plains of Eidolon or Orb Vallis like a pole-vaulter on the moon, with ample time to do whatever you want up there.

It’s a simple change to fix a simple problem. You can now mod Zephyr to where you want to take her. Want to go into the Grineer Asteroid? The open Landscapes? Tiles with a mix of both narrow and wider spaces? You have the builds for that. It’s all possible, and Tailwind becomes usable everywhere, and not just when you have enough room for it.

That, however, is not all.

Tailwind also has a Hover. Currently it also has Dive Bomb, but I shifted that into her passive. Why did I shift that into her passive? Because aim-differentiated casting is janky, we told people it would be janky in 2016, we told people it would be janky in 2017, DE put it into her ability in 2018 and guess what? It was janky in 2018 too. It's still janky in 2020 and will always be a janky way of choosing between your abilities.

Taking it out is a way to let Dive Bomb finally die in dignity, as a passive to make Zephyr more unique among frames, but also to make it more functional.

This frees up Tailwind to be a simple two-part ability, with a Dash and a Hover.

But the important part is how to fix the Hover:

Spoiler

1 (Again). Hover.

This ability is slow. This ability is grounded. This ability makes you sit vulnerable for up to 3 seconds for an end goal of sitting still in the air for… no real purpose. It doesn’t do anything. You’re hovering, great. Melee enemies can’t hit you, also great. Why are we sitting still in the air on the most mobile frame in the game? No reason. Just because we can. And if the reason is ‘just because we can’, why is it better than just Bullet Jumping into the air and using her passive and Aim Glide? Why is this better than just using the Aero Vantage mod? Or the precept for Moas? It’s… an odd-duck of the birdframe’s abilities.

Hover should be a tool to get the most out of Tailwind.

To all of those who doubt the changes I’ve suggested to Tailwind itself; this is the balance, the answer. Make it a mobility tool, not one that’s counter to mobility.

Instead of sitting on the ground, charging it up, simply change it to a half-second hold. Tap is Tailwind, hold is Hover. Hover is given a true Duration that we can mod for, so that we see a timer and so that we can benefit from our normal modding. You hold 1 for a half second, anywhere, in air or on ground, and it casts.

On the ground, you launch in the air, the same mechanic. If you're in a low ceiling space, then the use of Aim Glide to fix yourself a little lower still works. You hover for a given Duration and you can move on at any time.

In the air, you simply stop. All momentum is cancelled. All of it. So what do you have? An Air Brake. Tailwind over a location, hit Hover, Tailwind in another direction, hit Hover. You can re-position yourself in the air for as long as you have Energy. (Note, I’m not asking to have it reset in-air jumps or rolls, or even reset the Operator transfer-in-air, just to have this freedom to move fast and stop when you want.)

Hover also needs to have a function that makes it better to use it than forget it; nothing huge is necessary, just a self buff. When in Hover, Airburst’s flight speed is increased. It’s not a huge buff, but it’s a buff to your ability for using one of your lesser-needed functions. It also means that it’s not faster to actually go down to the ground and hit them with a stick than to stay up there and cast, which is currently is the case.

Now that doesn’t seem like much, but I’m getting there.

Because you then moved on to change Airburst into a different ability.

The first thing that sprang to mind is that, no, DE won't change the ability that they added in with the last rework into a completely different ability. Then I started reading it a little more closely.

First off, you've addressed that the CC on Airburst is bad. Ragdoll CC is the literal worst kind of CC. It's better than none, true, but literally any other CC is better than Ragdoll, so congrats on trying to improve that.

Second, you've only done this because you want to remove Tornado, which has its own reasoning, but you do raise some good points about Tornado and I'd like to address them when I talk about Tornado.

Third, the ability you've created is actually fairly in line with what other people want, just executed differently, so you get some more credit from me on hitting that same vein of ore.

Things to address; bad CC, no interaction with other abilities (passive or active, which people like to also call natural synergy and forced synergy), delivery system might need some changes.

Try this:

Spoiler

2. Airburst.

Instead of Ragdoll, use the Lift function from the Exodia Epidemic arcane. It bumps the enemy into the air, controlled, in a pose that allows you to get clean shots. This is similar to Rhino Stomp and the Celestial Stomp augment for Wukong with the smaller base range and the shorter CC duration.

While that in itself is a significant improvement to the ability, along with the increased travel speed while Hovering, there's more.

This is to replace the function of ‘Airburst makes Tornado funnels bigger’: Enemies hit with Airburst are marked and take increased damage from all sources, in addition if Tornado is active, the nearest funnel will track to the point of Airburst’s impact.

What does this do? It covers a known gap in Zephyr’s 4, the fact that the Tornado funnels auto target the enemies that are in range and can easily ignore places where they should be. It also means that after the CC from Airburst is done, a Tornado funnel can/will move in, capture enemies and use its own unique damage and status spreading function to ensure groups of enemies are still controlled and will spread damage to the marked enemies (that take the bonus damage from all sources).

So this is something I feel Zephyr kind of needs right now; a way to self buff. She has decent survivability, great mobility, and has crowd control for when she's actually in trouble, but all of that is just 'staying alive' to deal your weapon damage, there's no real way to do anything for your team, nor is there any way to help yourself do more than just 'stay alive'.

Self buffing would mean that not only does she have a more reliable source of CC in this lifted function (heck, think of it as a few seconds of Bastille on the area) it then has a far more natural synergy with her 4, by drawing in a Tornado funnel that then not only further extends the CC, but as long as the enemy hasn't hit the ground it still has that 'lifted' status marking it for increased damage. Then you just shoot the Tornado funnel, a single shot spreads damage to everything touching the funnel, and also deals bonus damage, it's a fantastic way to deal with crowds of enemies.

This is also why I don't want to remove Tornado, because that potential for wide area damage and control is really, really tempting. More so than any melee function would be on its own. But, more on that discussion later.

Let's move on,

3. Turbulence.

You've gone with this:

Turbulence

• augment [Coming Storm], going up to a (Whirlwind) vortex that she cast while (Turbulence) is active will pick up the vortex and surround herself in it, absorbing oncoming projectiles and even being able to pick up and ragdoll enemies around her if the vortex was charged, at the cost of higher energy drain per second
    • will not block the effects of explosive AoEs if the radius of the vortex isn't large enough

This is... unfortunately something a lot of people suggest without realising what the problem is.

Toggle drain abilities are a direct nerf to frames used to control their power. Removing Drains is a buff to frames (look at Nezha as a good example), while DE puts heavier and heavier Drain functions on frames to try and limit their use of something.

Now, a lot of people don't mind Drains because, hey, we have things like Arcane Energise that can top us up whenever we're wandering around picking up Energy Orbs, and if we're low on energy we can tap it off and recharge with Zenurik or Energy Pads.

Except... that comes with some drawbacks that are actually really nasty. For example, no Defense ability should be useless if you only have the energy it needs to cast it. I mean, if you're already struggling because you're surrounded by enemies and you have only about 52 Energy left, and an Eximus Energy Leech walks in behind the current mobs so you don't see it... what happens?

Energy Leeches add 5 Energy per second drain to any existing drain abilities, so you may have gotten Turbulence down to 1.25 per second with your Duration and a Streamline, but that Leech is going to make it 6.25. Your ability drains in less than 10 seconds, and you then die due to having no defense.

Same happens if you accidentally let yourself get flippered by a Disruptor Ancient you walked into around a corner, or a Door trap on a Grineer Galleon. Suddenly... no ability.

With a Duration cast, though, you have Streamline on and that 52 energy is enough to cast a new one, so your Duration keeps the cast going for however long you have left, maybe you just cast it and you have over 40 seconds of it... And then when it goes down you can bullet jump or duck around a corner to recast, and you have another 40+ seconds of defense.

Meanwhile you can have Zenurik, energy pads, a Trinity or Harrow, even just Energy Siphon Aura restoring your energy the entire time, so you have a net positive.

Add to that one important thing; Zephyr likes to spend time off the ground. Usually at heights that aren't able to pick up Energy Orbs. So with a Drain and any kind of Distance, you can't even make Arcane Energise work.

Drains are not good for frames that don't have them, and they would be especially bad to put on a Defense ability, and they would be even worse to put on Zephyr's defense ability.

And you also want to give her an Ability Melee, which is a second drain... On top of this one... that even disables Arcanes and Death Orbs? Which no other Drain in the game does? I mean... be reasonable here.

I also can't agree with the change to the Augment. Jet Stream is literally unique in the game for not only improving movement speed, but being a base buff to damage for all Shotguns and anything else with Fall-off distance on their damage, plus turning projectile weapons into snipers. The only weapon that isn't improved by Jet Stream is the Alternate fire on the Corinth, which actually extends the point at which the projectile explodes, essentially turning it into long-range artillery and making it ineffective in confined spaces.

While yes, this change would allow Zephyr to take her CC with her, it would also be exactly the kind of function that would require a nerf like Drain being put on the ability.

Which, regrettably, I can never agree to as a person who loves Zephyr.

My thoughts on Turbulence are to make it better, not change it like this.

Spoiler

3. Turbulence.

You would think there’s not much to say here. Turbulence, depending on the faction, can be considered one of the most powerful defense abilities in the game. The balance is that, depending on the faction and specific enemies you’re facing, it can be one of the worst defense abilities in the game. This is actually not a bad place to be in, for now, and provides unique benefits that other frames don’t get.

And it works at every level of play, there is no scaling, it’s just a flat ‘no, your bullets mean nothing for the next 30-50 seconds’.

What’s not fun about it? No signal to show it’s ending, a slow casting time that locks you in place unless you’re in the air already, and the things it doesn’t cover like the ’penetration’ distance which scales with your range.

Fixing the slow casting time isn't necessary, just let us use it while we're moving (what DE call a 2-handed animation). It still interrupts, it doesn't take less time, but we can use it while ducking for cover or while running through a crowd to try and keep away from melee enemies.

If you don’t know about that last one I mentioned, 'penetration distance': projectiles that enter Turbulence can actually keep going a certain distance before getting redirected. With a high range build that’s almost unnoticeable, it’s negligible. But when the enemy is really close, like a Corpus Tech with a high-damage, high-rate-of-fire projectile weapon… you can still get shot.

What I would do to improve this is make sure that even with negative range, there’s a point where projectiles are completely unable to penetrate. Zephyr could have her head against the barrel of their gun and it doesn’t hurt. Why? Isn’t this over-powered? Does this make sense in physics? Nope. What this does is remove the penalty for building in negative range. It then makes her incredibly vulnerable to explosives, but it means that projectiles in general have the same redirection as hit-scan as long as the ability is active. You still wouldn’t want to build negative range, but the effect of the ability isn’t suddenly negated on a huge swathe of enemy weapons just because you slapped on a Narrow Minded.

Aside from that, Flame Throwers are not covered by Turbulence (like not getting Dental with your Health coverage). Why are Flame Throwers still not being diverted by Turbulence? They’re not even bullets, they’re particles, which is why they scale so much against us, Zephyr should be able to push those away if she can push bullets away.

Quality of Life is the ending cue and the mobile casting, buffs are for protecting against Flame Throwers and Projectiles (non-penalty for using negative range).

See? You can buff Turbulence without giving it something that would need a Drain, and it becomes a heckuvalot better. The Flame Thrower part is particularly relevant because it means you can also protect team members from those too.

And that brings us to the final ability, her 4,

Your Exalted Tonfas.

There's several problems to be had here. From the fact that Ability Melee is something I feel to be only a gimmick and completely unnecessary on frames that have 4 functional abilities. To the parts you've included that don't actually make functional sense, all the way through to the revert to Stat Stick functions that DE deliberately removed on Ability weapons because that completely pigeon-holes you into only taking certain 'meta' weapons or anything with a really good Riven disposition instead of what you actually want to take (it also removes the function that many players are actually using more actively now; having one melee for a particular set of damage alongside the Ability melee weapon to cover the other functions).

So, again, Stat Sticks were removed from Ability Melee for many, many reasons. It's incredibly unlikely that DE would give a frame an Ability Melee that was not only based on that function, but didn't actually have any of its own functions and was basically just copying the stats of the entire weapon and its mods.

They would also no longer give her one that, without a Stat Stick was directly equivalent to an existing weapon, and they would certainly no longer give her one that wasn't able to act like it's modded when you have no Melee equipped (which was one of the base problems with stat-sticks, if you took them off the ability didn't function at base, it was weaker than anything else because it had no modding at all).

I don't know why you would completely remove all forms of Energy regen, when ones like Arcanes and the Death Orbs are what currently allow Ability Melee users the regen needed to maintain the ability.

And even the Augment doesn't really make sense; when DE have put in Faction Specific damage, while it either costs more or takes up a mod slot exclusively, it doesn't make the damage on other factions less. I can see why you'd use that as a trade-off to make the ability seem fair, it's honestly likely that DE are going to instead release something like Smite/Expel/Bane of/Cleanse Sentient mods, just like they have for the other factions.

So... while you had the idea, you've kind of executed the idea of Exalted Tonfas badly.

If I were to suggest the actual functions of an Exalted Tonfa weapon it would probably be more like this:

Spoiler

4. Searing Wings.

Zephyr summons her Exalted Tonfas, the Pinion Blades, to bring swift death to her foes.

Normal Attacks:
170 Slash, 70 Puncture. Total: 240 Damage
Crit Chance: 26%
Crit Multiplier: 2.2x
Status Chance: 30%

Attack Speed 1.2
Range: 3m
Combo Duration: 5s
Block Angle: 90 degrees
Follow Through: 100%

Slam Attack:
Slam impact: 1200
Radial Damage: 400
Radius: 12m

Heavy Attack:
Total damage: 960
Wind up: 0.5 seconds

Heavy Slam:
Total Damage: 1440
Radial Damage: 1440
Radius: 15m

(If you don't have time to compare stats, this is a little better base damage than the Kronen Prime, equivalent base supplemental stats, but because it's Zephyr the Slam Attacks are augmented far past those of the other Ability Melee weapons like Iron Staff)

Special functions:
Augmented Slam damage compared to other Melee.
Casting Tailwind with Searing Wings active adds all modded damage of the melee into the damage it deals.
Enemies affected by Airburst take an additional 50% damage from Searing Wings.
While Turbulence is active, Searing Wings gains an additional 50% Cold damage, does not combine with Mods.

This kind of Ability Melee would contribute into Zephyr's other abilities, augmenting her casts and also giving her self buffs from combining casts with the melee. It's a relatively straight-forward Ability Melee weapon, but has unique functions due to the frame's own unique nature.

It isn't reliant on stat-sticks as you can mod it normally, and it's balanced against other weapons in the game. No mess, no fuss, and a very strong result.

However, that's not what I'd propose at all.

I'd propose making Tornado into an actual functioning ability that you can use to compliment whatever play style you choose for her.

Spoiler

4. Tornado.

Simple. Simple fixes to buff the ability overall, which will see dividends with the changes I've already proposed to things like Airburst.

Limit the range that the funnels can travel away from the point of cast. Remove the function that causes it to randomly spawn on an enemy in range. We know where we want to spawn our Tornado, we want to defend specific locations.

Cast and all four funnels spawn around the point of cast and then move outwards, but cannot go further than a fixed range away. This means they don’t wander off, this means they’re not in the next room when you want them to be where the most enemies are. Fixed range also means that they can’t be too close, can’t be limited to just around a single point like a Defense target, and completely deny access to it.

Allow Range to increase the funnel draw range (which is a subtle way to increase the actual range, because they can draw enemies from outside of their roving range when they’re at the edge of it).

With funnels moving in a guaranteed area of control, able to be sent to a specific location by Airburst and having them deal bonus damage for capturing enemies marked by Airburst means there’s no need for the aim-to-steer function. We can cast Airburst and get a great synergy with that instead, but if people want to keep that aimed function then leave it in, at this point I don't mind.

What these changes achieve is then a full area-of-effect ability that persists, providing more reliable and applicable CC. Shooting funnels becomes a far more legitimate function to spread damage because they’re actively seeking enemies that you’ve targeted and marked for them, and they get there more directly to do that job. Also the spawning means that changing the damage type of the funnels is a simple matter of damaging them at the start, not having to hunt them down when they spawn on an enemy 50m away from where you were aiming.

This would be a massive buff to the ability overall without changing what it is or what it really does, just how it does it.

And then bringing me on to the Augments, since you've included them in your thoughts.

Spoiler

Jet Stream: Perfect, don’t change a thing, one of the only Flight Speed enhancing functions in the game, which allows for more reliable play with bows, thrown weapons and shotguns (it extends damage fall-off distance), along with also buffing sprinting speed for better mobility when she can't use Tailwind.

Funnel Clouds: incorporate the new changes to Tornado into it, make nearest 3 funnels target the point of impact from Airburst (as 12 funnels spawn, so 3 per regular funnel), meaning that while the enemies aren't lifted, they are still staggered and damaged more reliably.

Target Fixation: I’ve seen niche fun out of this with the update that allows for 2 seconds on the ground… but it still needs more. I would gladly accept this function applying to Tailwind if it was a charge and discharge function with the new 'Dive Bomb is Ground Slam' where you build up your bonus with Tailwinds through enemies, and then apply that bonus to the next Dive Bomb slam meaning you can get better results thanks to melee modding.

New Augment:

Air Inversion. Airburst no longer Lifts enemies, but temporarily tethers them to the point of impact. The damage bonus to marked enemies is doubled.

Much like Tornado’s Augment, sacrificing most of the CC function for a damage function gives her more of a choice to the augment itself, so players that actually want to play a damage-based Zephyr do actually have the option on two counts, while players that prefer to have weapon damage and more control have that choice as well.

So...

The big tl;dr on this is...

That with many of the things you're suggesting, I not only agree with, I would take further. While my ideas are different to yours, some of them are completely valid, and the only reason I have different ones is because my goal is different to yours with the nature of a rework.

However, with some of your ideas... I have to say, they've not only come up before, but they were bad ideas then and they're still pretty bad ideas now. With the changes to how Melee works, and with some tweaking to Zephyr's other abilities anyway, a Melee Ability on Zephyr could work. That's why I suggested something with more definitive stats and Ability interactions that would buff it when using it all together.

What this creates, overall, is something I don't agree with. And that's a shame, because while it would be a functioning Warframe, it would completely pigeon-hole her (heh, bird jokes) into being a frame with this basic dichotomy; huge mobility and aerial movement, but her damage is based on being on the ground and hitting enemies with a close range melee. And that just doesn't make sense to me.

The reason Zephyr has an ability like Tornado is because it allows her to place a lasting effect on the battlefield while she flits off to do Zephyr things around the map. She can be above the battle or off to the side, anywhere she wants, because Tornado can be put down and she has the speed to go and come back for things as and when she needs without that effect being lessened.

Fix the problems, don't create new ones. We don't want just another Wukong here.

6 hours ago, FabuloustheGardevoir said:

Whirlwind

• instant, creates a mini-vortex of whipping air on the aimed area for a duration that stays in place and deals Cold damage per second
  • charged (3 seconds max, can be released early and held indefinitely), creates a tornado that deals more damage per second and can now pull enemies into it, ragdolling them

Just use tap and hold mechanics , charging takes to much time and is unconforable due to key inputs.

Turbulence

This is a Nerf as is already clarified by @Birdframe_Prime

Exalted Tonfas

• different from most other exalted weapons
    • can't mod it: weapon shares almost all of its qualities, damage values, statuses, etc. with equipped melee weapon,

Why crate a new exalted melee weapons when exalted weapons already showed their fundamental flaw. Seens like you realized that the slow march of power creep is bound to make normal weapons as good as exalted one. But your solution of copying the stat of the melee weapon does not work well due to stances. Melee base damage is all over the place due to the diferent aoes , stance mutipliers , granted status procs and mobility. So if the exalted weapon inherits stats but has its own stance it will create inherent and I fixable balance problems.

If you want a exalted weapon here a sugestion. 

Winds Edge

Zephyr creates a windy copy od her weapon with increased damage and range. 

All attacks of this weapons will pull lifted enemies towards zephyr 

Slam attack of this weapon create a wind vortex pulling enemies towards zephyr. 

Knock downs are replaced by lifted status 

Chrage attack sends foward a wind shock wave foward.

Thank y'all for your constructive feedback! This is a lot of VERY USEFUL information and pointers y'all gave, I'll make a future post to reflect said feedback for this idea rework. It's a lot to take in, so I wanna give this justice by spending time on it, but just letting you know that I'm gonna make some changes and will simply archive the initial proposed rework into its own spoiler.

• Like 1

New proposal! 

=====

special thanks to:

• TamePingu, for that interesting (Tailwind) synergy with (Tornado)
  • Birdframe_Prime, for extensive feedback and suggestion; also, for the record, I only added (Exalted Tonfas) because at the time I couldn't think of a better ability to replace her 4 after turning it into her 2

Passive: Light Weight, Big Impact

• Light Weight: Zephyr jumps higher, falls slower, extended aim glide/wall latch duration, improved bullet jump velocity, and 6% evasion while airborne
  • Big Impact: passive augment to the Melee Ground Slam. With a Melee equipped, Zephyr has a custom animation and adds a small amount of damage (after mods) to the ground slam based on her height.
    • If Zephyr does not have a melee equipped, she simply performs the animation with a very small amount of damage; looking at the ground and pressing Melee still works even without a melee weapon equipped
    • affected by mods that affect slam attacks like [Seismic Wave]

1. Tailwind
    • instant, 
      • grounded/airborne: dash forward in the camera's direction at current (Tailwind)'s default speed, pulling and ragdolling enemies within a small contact radius around her for a second (duration refreshes each cast) 
    • hold activate (half-second)
      • grounded: same as current (Tailwind), launching herself into the air and then hovering in place
      • airborne: simply stops and hovers in place, cancelling all momentum, and allowing in-air steering to take effect from the moment the ability is active; doesn't use any energy
    • NO ANIMATION LOCKING: remove animation entirely, and she can cast the ability as fast and as frequently as the player can press the button, and has the energy for it
    • uses less energy while airborne
    • modding is influenced by ability range and strength instead of duration: high Range build makes the base ability push Zephyr further and faster, but lowering the Strength makes her slow down more at the end in proportion; high Strength will allow Zephyr more momentum and a lower range will give her a shorter and proportionally slower distance, thus the mad dash becomes a more graceful bound through the air
    • using ability while inside the AoE of a (Tornado) funnel, it will explode (but not disappear), dealing Electric damage with 100% status chance within its AoE
    • augment [Target Fixation], each enemy hit gives a bonus multiplier to the next Big Impact, grace period of 2 seconds of staying on the ground or wall latching; becoming airborne again resets grace period; has a max multiplier
      • multiplier also affects burst damage with (Tornado) vortex, and will not reset multiplier
      • mods that affect slam attacks like [Seismic Wave] stack additively with [Target Fixation]
  2. Airburst
    • instant, throws a volley of projectiles at the aimed direction that lifts enemies (similar to [Exodia Epidemic]) and marks them with a pulsing blue aura, taking increased damage from all sources
    • lift duration is affected by ability duration
    • damage amplification is affected by ability strength
    • increased travel speed while Hovering from (Tailwind)
    • if (Tornado) is active, the nearest funnel(s) will track and move to the point of (Airburst)’s impact at a speed of 5m/s
      • if all funnels have been relocated by (Airburst) and are still active, the oldest to move will migrate to the new location first
    • augment [Air Inversion], (Airburst) no longer Lifts enemies, but temporarily tethers them to the point of impact; damage bonus to marked enemies is doubled.
  3. Turbulence
    • instant (2h animation), same as vanilla (Turbulence), with some bonuses
      • even with negative range, there’s a point where projectiles are completely unable to penetrate
      • flame throwers are also deflected
    • augment [Jet Stream], remains vanilla, and allows her to pick up a (Tornado) funnel that she casted to surround herself with, at the cost of halving the funnel's current duration;
      • can only pick up one funnel at a time
      • this lowers the count of active funnels, allowing Zephyr to cast another funnel
  4. Tornado
    • instant, creates a funnel of whipping air on the aimed area for a duration that stays in place, deals Cold damage with 100% status proc per second, and pulls enemies; uses less energy
    • half-second hold, create 4 funnels grouped together at point of cast that slowly drift outwards with even spacing from each other until they reach a fixed range
    • ability range increases funnel draw range and fixed range of drift, but not their visual size
    • funnels and their AoE phase through all entities, objects and the environment
    • both instant and held funnels can be attacked by both allies and enemies to impart their weapons' damage and bonus elemental status onto it 
      • shares similar mechanics with vanilla (Tornado) in this regard
      • bonus damage is based around secondary elemental status
      • secondary elemental status will proc every half-second after the original Cold proc
      • ability strength multiplies base Cold damage and absorbed damage proportionally. 
    • augment [Funnel clouds], remains vanilla, make nearest 3 funnels target the point of impact from (Airburst)

=====

Edited by FabuloustheGardevoir
redundancy correction
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FabuloustheGardevoir said:

my goal of making them based almost entirely on the equipped melee weapon is that it's a "things are starting to get serious" ability, like when facing a boss, or if you need just that brief, but massive boost in power to get out of a sticky situation of being surrounded by too many enemies your weapon can't anymore handle on its own

Why would we want to use a normal melee if this was just providing a significant boost to damage? There needs to be some kind of balance. Perhaps you are just exaggerating how powerful it would be, I am not sure. But you have to consider: why would DE do it this way? I get that it’s a concept, but that might be worth considering anyway.

15 hours ago, FabuloustheGardevoir said:

What do you mean? It's not enough for new (Turbulence) to have to use energy to activate, then drain energy per second, and therefore stop all energy regen from happening?

Perhaps, that would depend on the drain though. You are basically giving an ability that means you will be indefinitely untouchable. The fact you have to recast it means there is a period where you can be damaged. Many abilities that function how you suggest get such a low drain you can keep thrm running for the full duration of the mission.

As someone who has been a huge fan of Zephyr since the beginning, her combination of two concepts (bird + wind~ish) is part of what hinders design choices for her abilities, at least from my perspective. Hydroid is a better example of the issues with double-concept and execution, and it is why we likely won't get a truly water-themed Warframe. Even so, I feel like with Zephyr, there are alterations to her current kit that would both increase her usefulness and address issues that still remain. I'll list them by ability and my issues and solutions for each.

Passive: What passive? Zephyr's silly gravity was a cute concept way back in update 12, but over the years it has just been more and more of a nuisance other than the "3 headshots, 1 aim glide" Riven challenge. This is the "bird" aspect of her concept taking over where I feel like the "wind" portion should be central. My Idea: 20% faster flight speed on all projectiles/projectile weapons. This would both give her a useful and on theme passive while giving her additional buffs to damage falloff to double up with her Turbulence augment. To me, this would be the most logical, as controlling wind fits increasing the speed of flight, not just her own.

Tail Wind: The issues with this come down to it being hard to control, getting stuck on walls STILL, and the ground charge being an insult. Beyond that, abilities that are purely movement based do not have a real place in our post-Parkour 2.0 existence, hence Super Jump getting tossed into the Void. Gauss is a recent frame who showed how a movement ability can be better weaved into a kit while being both fun AND useful. My Idea: Make the hold-cast function exactly like Gauss' Mach Rush, but omni-directional, slower, and as suggested by others, no animation locking. The ability to use guns while in Tail Wind would also be beneficial.

Air Burst: I think my biggest gripe with this ability is that I only use it for buffing Tornado, and at that point why not just have Tornado be buffed naturally? It's a passable cheap CC ability but the awkward angle Zephyr shoots the projectiles gets them interrupted by terrain more often than I like. I feel like they should have terrain-based punch-through to combat this but otherwise this ability works for what is meant to be.

Turbulence: Nothing needs to change with this, other than something that I think all buffs should have, and that is being able to be recast while active. Other than that this continues to be the ability that works and makes Zephyr playable.

Tornado: The big one. For starters the name is a lie since she clear summons more than one /jk. The problems with Tornado are the same as they have always been: A.I. based abilities have a weak track record, and even with the "aim to redirect ONE tornado" the problem is still there. If it were all Tornadoes converging on your reticle, then it would certainly be better, but when I think of this ability as a whole, I wish it were the following: My Idea: Have Zephyr be the eye of a giant windstorm/tornado that functions exactly like the current ones when it comes to picking up enemies and being able to shoot to spread damage to those caught within/change element. Duration-based, not a toggle, and able to be cancelled by using it again. Let Zephyr have access to her guns still, be able to move albeit with a reduced speed which would encourage using Tail Wind for quick burst movement.
This solves the A.I. issue while keeping the best parts of the current version. And, this change could be implemented as a hold-cast to exist alongside the current version of the ability.

Those are my contributions to this discussion. I really want Zephyr to be the wind frame of my dreams, because I love her design, her name, and the ideas behind her abilities, just not all of the execution. I am also glad to see the amount of discussion on our bird-lady-whose-name-is-not-actually-bird-related.

I started playing Gauss recently. Even though I bump into walls frequently with Mach Rush in tight space, it's still a lot more enjoyable than using Zephyr's Tailwind.

Mach Rush is more responsive.

• It can be used for short burst or long run.
  • It can be canceled immediately.
  • It stops immediately when Gauss run into something.

Responsive control is what Tailwind needs:

• The ability control travel distance.
  • The ability to keep or cancel momentum immediately when needed. By Immediately, I mean not having to hold the button or use a wall to stop Zephyr.
  • Cancel all momentum when Zephyr run into something.
  • Please don't make too many things tied to mod. It would make modding tricky.

The only thing I can suggest now would be:

• If Tailwind is canceled manually by any means such as jumping or rolling, all momentum will be canceled.
  • If Tailwind ends without being canceled manually, Zephyr keeps the momentum.
Edited by yles9056
  • Like 1