Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

we have had large scale weapon reworks, should we have large scale warframe ability reworks?

45neo

FIRST: Pleases Note when I say Warframe ability Rework I mean a change to the scaling of abilities, something I see as achievable in one large swoop, this would not necessarily mean certain frames wouldn't need reworking afterwords, but hopefully get all warframes abilities up to a similar standard.

In the past year DE has made several major reworks of weapons to adjust them all to be in a fitting power to mastery rank ratio and generally better for starchart content. The benefits of these changes have been mixed, but overall we can all agree it was a good concept at the very least. Why bring this up? Well, because right now there is a lot of discussion about enemy scaling, making enemies less bullet spongy. But this has made me realize a different problem, the only thing increasing the damage of warframe abilities is power strength, where it may take a level 100 enemy to start bullet sponging a gun, it only takes a level 60 enemy to bullet sponge many abilities in the game.

This problem has been largely overlooked by the community as such powers are usually just written off as irrelevant, these are powers like frost's ice bolt or ember's fire ball. or even hydroid's aqua barrage for that matter. Point is these abilities usually sit there useless, they can kill things at low levels, but so can guns, just as easily in fact. Warframe being a power fantasy game, it doesn't really make sense for abilities to be made irrelevant faster than our weapons. And not all abilities are irrelevant, but those ones are the abilities that...  idk... Scale Well!!! So why shouldn't all abilities scale well?

Which is why I ask what everyone thinks, should DE make all warframe abilities scale? How should this be implemented? Should it happen?

Let's change the fate of our warframe powers and take back the power fantasy we had playing level 10 content on earth, for all warframes. 

One of the core mechanics of Abilities is Energy Management and it was largely prevalent in the early game before you had Efficiency mods, Arcane Energize and Zenurik. If you wanted to return the power dynamic of Abilities against the enemies to what it is when you start the game, you will need to look at the whole Energy system. Guns never really had an ammo issue as a whole so the only way they can scale is to scale up in damage. Abilities not only scaled up in damage, but in range, duration and efficiency which is why it doesn't make sense for them to compete with weapons when it comes to raw power.