Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Status Effect Clarification

ThePowerTool

Question

Reading from (the wiki page on Status Effect) trying to learn about Status Effects I have a question:

From the Warframe Wiki:

A Status Effect, or commonly called a Proc, is an additional effect which may be triggered at random by a hit from a weapon or Warframe ability.

only one damage type can proc per hit.

My assumption:  When you hit with a weapon you get a roll on the hit (you might miss) and then a roll on each stat associated with the weapon (innate + modifications).  Base damage isn't typically considered a "proc" by any mmorpg I've ever played.  This means if I load a weapon with heat and cold, and assuming a hit, I would get base damage + a roll on heat damage + a roll on cold damage + a roll on explosive damage.

Is the 2nd quote from the wiki incorrect?  Because in plain English it states the you can't get base-damage + Status Effect damage.

I think the correct 2nd quote would read "only one Status Effect can proc per hit" or "you get a roll per damage type on Status Effect with a maximum of one Status Effect allowed per hit"  but I'm too new to really be sure.

If I use a sword and proc "heat" does it mean the sword no longer cuts?  From the wording of the wiki I can guess the answer but that's just a newb-guess.

Additionally, under "Status Effects" it lists "Damage Type" and "Effect"--possibly the 1st word was dropped and "Effect" should be "Status Effect"?  And the correct label for the table should be "Damage type with associated Status Effect"?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

10 answers to this question

You're confusing damage types and status effects. Every regular damage types as a corresponding status effect (=proc). If you mod your weapon to have heat damage, every hit will do heat damage in addition to the base damage. 

Once your weapon has hit, status chance comes into play: on each hit you have a chance to cause a status effect. What status effect that is depends on the damage types you have on your weapon (usually).

For example: you hit an enemy with a skana that you modded for heat damage. To that enemy you will deal the skana's base damage and heat damage. Then you have a 16% chance to cause a status effect. Because you have heat modded on to it and the skana has impact, puncture and slash (commonly just calles IPS), that status effect can be either heat, impact, puncture or slash. That hit can only cause one of these 4 status effects. It's a random roll which one of those occurs, the chances for each depend on how much of your total damage is in each damage type (with the IPS types having an increased weighting in that calculation).

4 hours ago, ThePowerTool said:

If I use a sword and proc "heat" does it mean the sword no longer cuts?  From the wording of the wiki I can guess the answer but that's just a newb-guess.

No,  if you use a sword and proc "heat" then the enemy you just hit is now on fire.   

A status effect is a debuff applied to the target in top of the weapon's damage.  An enemy that is on fire due to a heat proc will panic,  thus being unable to attack for a couple of seconds, will take damage over time for the duration of the heat proc,  and will have its armor value halved for the duration of the heat proc and a short time after. 

4 hours ago, ThePowerTool said:

My assumption:  When you hit with a weapon you get a roll on the hit (you might miss)

This is an incorrect assumption.  There is no to hit roll.   If the bullet impacts the target,  then the target is hit.    There are exceptions,  like the warframe mod Evasion,  which gives a %chance to negate a hit,  but for players hitting is purely a matter of aim and timing. 

Here's how it works. 

Lets say you have a 50% status chance,  50 slash base damage,  100 blast.  from Heat and Cold mods.    

First you hit an enemy.  You don't hit him in a weak point,  so you don't get a weak point multiplier.    The enemy takes 50 slash damage and 100 blast damage,  this is modified by its health type or armor type (if it has any armor) or shield type (if it has shields). It is then reduced by any DR the enemy has. Lets say that you're hitting an Infested Ancient. It has Fossilized health,  so it takes +15% slash,  +50% blast.  The total damage done will be 57.5 Slash and 150 Blast.

Now,  you roll status chance.   The RNG picks a random number between 1 and 100,  if its 50 or less, you get a proc.  So you proc this time.  What do you proc.  Well,  to find that out we look at the damage values before health type modifiers are applied.  IPS gets 4 times the weight,  so we multiply 50 Slash x4, giving us 200   Blast is 100.   Put those together and you have 300.  So,  the RNG picks a random number between 1 and 300.  1-200,  the target receives a Bleed status.   201-300 the target is at the center of a 5-meter radius Knockdown effect that hits it and all other enemies in the radius.

Note,  you do not get to roll heat or cold,  even though they are components of blast.  Components elements that become part of a combo element are fully replaced by that element in for the purposes of damage and status effects. 

- Damage is always applied
- each individual hit with Damage can apply exactly one Status Effect, randomly chosen based on all of the Damage types in that hit, weighted based on how much of that Damage there is vs the total Damage.

no need to overthink it. :)

1 minute ago, taiiat said:

- each individual hit with Damage can apply exactly one Status Effect, 

There is at least one exception to this.  The Daikyu will always innately proc Impact as well as other statuses.  So a Daikyu without multishot and 100% status will always proc 2 status effects.  The Lenz kinda does this also.  

Just adding that in for those who didn't know.  😀 Mwuhahahahaha

16 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

There is at least one exception to this.  The Daikyu will always innately proc Impact as well as other statuses.  So a Daikyu without multishot and 100% status will always proc 2 status effects.  The Lenz kinda does this also.  

Just adding that in for those who didn't know.  😀 Mwuhahahahaha

Hunter Munitions will also apply slash procs seperately from status chance, allowing for multiple procs per hit.   It's best to say that status chance can only proc once per hit,  but other sources of status effects go off seperately. 

30 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Forced Status changes things up yeah - that doesn't technically come from the Damage that was applied but yes should be mentioned.

Edited by taiiat

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

Forced Status changes things up yeah - that doesn't technically come from the Damage that was applied but yes should be mentioned.

Hehe, I mod my weapons with things like this mind.  Mostly for consistency than anything else.  😀 

You guys are awsome!  Thank you very much.

As for the Daikyu, Hunter Munitions, and Forced Status, I'll read that a few more times.

The wiki makes this confusing because the statement "only one damage type can proc per hit" is correct and totally misleading.

"If you mod your weapon to have heat damage, every hit will do heat damage in addition to the base damage." - Dranchyn

That could be clearer in the wiki--perhaps stating it is base damage + modded damage type (which is 2 types of damage) and in in Dranchyn's example (If I understand everything) the "heat damage" is the "damage type" which matches the table the shows the "effect" which I think is the "Status Effect"--again another place the wiki wasn't clear.  Additionally, component (I think of it as elemental) damage is replaced (essentially removed from the damage calculation formula) at the point complex damage (e.g. blast) is applied. (<--thank you hyzmarca)

Since it was stated you get base damage + mod damage (e.g. base damage + heat) without an initial success roll (meaning if your aim is true you don't miss) I think that also means it works the same way for complex damage where base damage + heat + cold always yields base damage + the damage calculation for blast (not a roll on whether or not you get blast vs heat damage and cold damage separately).

If I'm correct then I feel more comfortable with my understanding.

Thank you, again!

Usually a status proc hit will cause the enemy to stagger in a short animation, this is a quick sign that you proc is applied. For example fire, the enemy will be waving their hand with a fire aura around them as if they are on fire, electric will make them go into a zapped animation, radiation will make them attack their own fraction of enemies if there are some around them, and so forth. If you hit them and you dont see any animation, most likely there is no proc. You can still apply the status though

12 minutes ago, kwlingo said:

Usually a status proc hit will cause the enemy to stagger in a short animation, this is a quick sign that you proc is applied. For example fire, the enemy will be waving their hand with a fire aura around them as if they are on fire, electric will make them go into a zapped animation, radiation will make them attack their own fraction of enemies if there are some around them, and so forth. If you hit them and you dont see any animation, most likely there is no proc. You can still apply the status though

This isn't always the case.  Viral, toxin, and bleed don't always make the enemies stagger.  I think this might depend on how big the damage tick is.  

57 minutes ago, ThePowerTool said:

As for the Daikyu, Hunter Munitions, and Forced Status, I'll read that a few more times.

The wiki makes this confusing because the statement "only one damage type can proc per hit" is correct and totally misleading.

The Daikyu is a special case as it's one of the very few weapons that will innately proc a status as a special ability.  

1 hour ago, ThePowerTool said:

"If you mod your weapon to have heat damage, every hit will do heat damage in addition to the base damage." - Dranchyn

I see how that statement might be confusing to the new.  But it's doesn't clarify that neither damage is going to proc a status.  That is governed by status chance.  

1 hour ago, ThePowerTool said:

Since it was stated you get base damage + mod damage (e.g. base damage + heat) without an initial success roll (meaning if your aim is true you don't miss) I think that also means it works the same way for complex damage where base damage + heat + cold always yields base damage + the damage calculation for blast (not a roll on whether or not you get blast vs heat damage and cold damage separately).

Think of it as happening like this...initial damage (base+element) followed by roll for status chance.  If Status chance win, then a roll for which damage type (only if more than one is present) will take effect for the status proc.  Meaning that if you have a weapon with slash+heat you would have a roll for if bleed or heat would proc.

It's somewhat simple in a way. Well at least to me.  😄  

Just wait until you try modding for Hybrid crit/status builds then your brain could explode from all the damage calculation cross-overs if you're a number cruncher.  hehe