Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nora: You know what they say...

Ofeban

"The road to good intention be paved with hell."

No, they don't say that Nora. Nobody says that. The real quote is as follows: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Meaning that a good intention without the requisite action is empty and corruptible. Nora's quote makes no sense what-so-ever, and it bugs me more than it should.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, so_many_watermelons said:

OP I don't care at all about Nora but have you ever thought that maybe, it's supposed to be a malaphor or an incorrect phrase on purpose? 

Could be, but you'd have to spell it out for me because I can't make any sense of it.

The point of the Nora quote is to take the existing quote (which is a cliché) and twists it to something more fitting.

She's a smooth talking radio host who speaks in metaphors, pays mercs to stir up chaos and basically is only vaguely trustworthy. Her playing fast-and-loose with the quotes is totally in character. Her new quote could basically be summed up with 'keep causing trouble and you'll find a good cause sooner or later' - basically a heavily twisted ends justify the means, where you don't actually know nor care what the ends are, but use them to justify your actions anyway.

I mean, she never denies the possibility she's holding back rewards in the relevant quote, she talks about what a foolish idea it is to commune with killers (whilst on the phone to one) and alludes both to higher goals and a nihilistic agenda. She doesn't really give anything to us straight.

• Like 3

I like her version, and I'm sure it's intentional.  And while i don't think it has as much truth to it as the original, it's got some truth and some applicability.

It certainly made me think and reminded me just a bit of Planescape: Torment... neither of which happens nearly often enough when I'm playing video games. 

Edited by Tiltskillet

to be fair, I've had it work both ways. it's true that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, as some of the worst mistakes that can be made are made in an effort to do something good. at the same time, doing the right thing, the good thing, can also be extremely hard, perhaps a "hellish" experience, thus the road to that good intention is paved with hell.

regardless, Nora shouldn't be taken too seriously, I only like her a little bit more than the Lotus, and that's just because she gives us shinies for menial work and never decided to turn against us in an effort to reignite a massive conflict between Sentients and Tenno.

• Like 1

The way j see this line and many in this game is that the Void Demons heads are so messed up, they don't know what is real and has been changed around. Primes came first but we find the Regular versions first. We destroyed a colony in one of our battles with the Sents but we have not reached that level of power yet.

Time and memory are a full flux of what is real? MitW is constantly reminding us of convo with our parents....but we keep hearing the same few lines? Nothing about our grandparents or the reason they came on this voyage? 

The line works on many a level and has more than just one meaning....for the Void Demons, it's what they are told is real instead of them KNOWING the real history of things. They are malable since they do not have history to look back on....just told that is how it happened.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ofeban said:

"The road to good intention be paved with hell."

No, they don't say that Nora. Nobody says that. The real quote is as follows: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Meaning that a good intention without the requisite action is empty and corruptible. Nora's quote makes no sense what-so-ever, and it bugs me more than it should.

No good deed goes unpunished. 

We're attempting to save an entire solar system, from both internal and external threats. To protect ourselves, we became monsters. To save our species, we were given the ultimate weapons, created at an unconscionable cost. To save the oppressed masses from the magalomaniaical despots, we became murderers. To save the survivors of the aftermath, we must continue to decimate them. 

So, yes. The road to our good intentions is definitely paved with hell, and all the things that hell is afraid to think about.