Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

In-game marketplace

I'm not sure about everyone else, but using the trade channel is the most unruly thing ever. Post items for sale and get it flooded by AFK copypaste bots. Want to buy something? Basically shout out in the middle of a storm and hope someone hears you.

A marketplace or auction house would work really well, especially with all the player traded features like liches, arcanes, syndicate weapons, relics, etc...

There are a ton of casuals who play this game, there's nothing wrong with getting home from work and playing for a few hours without needing to spend the whole time waiting for a whisper in trade chat. There's really no downside to this.

27 minutes ago, Lacuda said:

A marketplace or auction house would work really well, especially with all the player traded features like liches, arcanes, syndicate weapons, relics, etc...

There are a ton of casuals who play this game, there's nothing wrong with getting home from work and playing for a few hours without needing to spend the whole time waiting for a whisper in trade chat. There's really no downside to this.

Actually there is. You list something at 10p and I'll immediately list at 9p to make sure I get the sale. Somebody else then lists at 8p and the downward spiral starts until everything is 1p. The only way to stop that is have a minimum price or plat tax at which point DE control and set prices which is no good for the market.

I once played a game that switched from a blind auction house to a regular one and it destroyed the economy in exactly this way in about a month. Games with auction houses don't use currency purchased with real money for this very reason.

As above, warframe.market.

Yet another person who should learn how to use search functions.  You're using the internet, maybe start using it's greatest strength to access already available information.  If you had done so you would have found that DE have already stated there will never be an auction house.  That has been their position for 5+ years and it'll be their position for another 5 years.

As other have brought up, this is something users have asked for many times over many years. DE has had a firm and consistent stance that this won't happen. These systems drive market prices down to the lowest possible equilibrium (resolves asymmetric information). That would hurt the plat sales of DE (they have not stated this as why, but it is why, along with dev time of course). 

You can use sites like warframe.market, riven.market, semlar, etc. to help yourself if you wish. Or simply have some patience in trade chat, and you can buy lower/sell higher.

7 hours ago, Shalath said:

Actually there is. You list something at 10p and I'll immediately list at 9p to make sure I get the sale. Somebody else then lists at 8p and the downward spiral starts until everything is 1p. The only way to stop that is have a minimum price or plat tax at which point DE control and set prices which is no good for the market.

I once played a game that switched from a blind auction house to a regular one and it destroyed the economy in exactly this way in about a month. Games with auction houses don't use currency purchased with real money for this very reason.

As above, warframe.market.

I guess you never played Guild Wars 2? You can buy gold and the auction house is very well balanced. You can buy whatever you need in seconds and don't get taken advantage of by scammers.

Also as an edit: if the saturation of that item is so high that the market balances it at 1p, then that means the item's real value is in fact 1p.

Balanced markets do happen in games, and the only people they screw over are the ones who like to take advantage of other players.

It wouldn't hurt in this game, it would also generate further plat income for DE as having a guaranteed method to purchase items you need would make you more likely to purchase the currency to earn those items.

It's neither "gameplay" nor "player interaction" when you sit in chat for 30 minutes hoping your sell posts get scene among all the the idle bots, or go to Maroo's and sit there for 2 hours hoping someone will stumble across what you think is valuable, especially if you worked all day.

It's neither "gameplay" nor "player interaction" when you spend 30 seconds going to a dojo to make a trade and then leave group. It certainly isn't "gameplay" nor "player interaction" to rely on tabbing out of the game to use 3rd party set-ups.
I get that if you're unemployed the current set up is fine. It's not fine for people who have limited time to play the game.

Edited by Lacuda
more to say

warframe.market is fine, as well as the riven one but, they are slow to update when new weapons are added and the ingame trade chat is stale and full of people either trying to get things from new players at under market prices screwing them over or people selling that one  AkBronco riven with cc ms and cd -p for 8k because they think it has value, the market system is flawed and i personally think an ingame auction would def help.

8 hours ago, Lacuda said:

Why not? Seems like it's needed now more than ever with all the item trade saturation. Where there's a need, there's a market for the need.

So how many hours have you spent playing the game?

Do you have any experience with buying AND selling in MMOs with an auction house?

It's not going to happen either way.

Again, warframe.market 

As with any game, a player-marketplace would always be better. The issue lies in 3 places;

===============

1. The actual difficulty in building such a system. This would be entirely under DE to develop. However there are plenty of Methods to do this that are easy and low cost. The only reason I can fathom DE not doing an player-marketplace is lack of player demand.
  2. Probably the biggest hurdle is the market stability. Currently Warframe's market is a highly volatile barter system. This means switching to a value biased system would undoubtedly cause several issues and crashes in the value of various items. While is is problematic keeping it to barter system kneecaps the economy in total. To put it simply if warframe wants to expand as a game, it needs a player market.
  3. Trade sharks. There are several players who make their platinum on the lack of information of others. These players purchasing rare items at low value from oblivious players, then selling them above value to other oblivious players. These players will instantly attack any posting about a player market simply because such tactics are hard to impossible in a market.

================================

I have done trading in many games and I can say warframe's market is bad. Very bad. Too many players over/underestimating value, too much spam, and too much effort to trade.  Saying the solution is to use third party system is laughable at best. If game needs to use a third party system to balance its economy then it's economy is broken. Further, external third party tools must be found and often newer players are left rudderless without even knowing they exist.

Finally to correct a misunderstanding, Player markets do not crash economies, rather they force players to place prices on their items in line with a values of others. If an economy crashes due to a player market, its not the player market's fault, its the developers making a bad system. I trust DE will not make such a simple mistake.

TLDR;A player market would be difficult to add, but is needed for warframe to grow.

2 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

So how many hours have you spent playing the game?

Do you have any experience with buying AND selling in MMOs with an auction house?

It's not going to happen either way.

Again, warframe.market 

having watched this game grow from alpha and the changes that have been done i dont see an auction house being out of the question, but def not a high priority,

bugs each new patch needing fixes as well as future updates already in the works take the lead in this situation but as a side pet project to someone i feel it could be done, warframe.market is great but has many flaws that need to be addressed and as stated in the post by zerorougex a real ingame market would bring a type of market stability that would do nothing but benefit everyone in the long run.

a market crash may happen but it would recover in a timely manner after each update of new content as demand would increase per kuva hind as a great example, going from 10 to 300+ plat overnight

35 minutes ago, Twiztid243 said:

having watched this game grow from alpha and the changes that have been done i dont see an auction house being out of the question, but def not a high priority,

bugs each new patch needing fixes as well as future updates already in the works take the lead in this situation but as a side pet project to someone i feel it could be done, warframe.market is great but has many flaws that need to be addressed and as stated in the post by zerorougex a real ingame market would bring a type of market stability that would do nothing but benefit everyone in the long run.

a market crash may happen but it would recover in a timely manner after each update of new content as demand would increase per kuva hind as a great example, going from 10 to 300+ plat overnight

It's great that you've played this game; how many other MMOs, ones with auction houses, have you played? Have you been playing them through the transition to having one? As has been stated here the economy crashes and no it doesn't recover. I don't know what else to tell you, we are talking in circles now. Only experience would show you how wrong you are and I don't want that to be using Warframe..

44 minutes ago, Twiztid243 said:

DE has stated multiple times that they want the interaction between players.
With an auction house this interaction would be gone.
So yeah, an auction house is completely out of question.

1 minute ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

It's great that you've played this game; how many other MMOs, ones with auction houses, have you played? Have you been playing them through the transition to having one? As has been stated here the economy crashes and no it doesn't recover. I don't know what else to tell you, we are talking in circles now. Only experience would show you how wrong you are and I don't want that to be using Warframe..

So you and all the other comments are basically saying so long as it's done right, it's no problem.

Aight, let's get it done. Thank you for your support. :) I recommend they use the model GW2 uses, or perhaps the one WoW has. WoW only inflates because gold can be generated in-game, and frankly we don't have that leisure in Warframe.

I really love your aggressive assumptions at other players as if you think your limited anecdotal and likely exaggerated experience with MMO's you've generically blanketed with zero actual examples matters more than their experience.

Auction houses don't destroy games. Especially ones with limited access to generate the resource in question.

They would literally only be a threat to players who utilize the current market system to take advantage of other players and likely sell platinum on third party websites.

Auction houses would swiftly obliterate that corruption and level out the game experience for players of every caliber.

Just now, WhiteMarker said:

DE has stated multiple times that they want the interaction between players.
With an auction house this interaction would be gone.
So yeah, an auction house is completely out of question.

What interaction is there currently?

"WTS xx Riven xx plat obo" 3 hours of Brooklyn Nine Nine later you get a whisper and spend 30 seconds in some dojo with a chicken statue in your face before the party abandons without a single word.

Or tabbing completely out of the game constantly to use a third party website which likely violates some ToS line.

Amazing player interaction you got going there. You're right, a fair economy balanced auction house that frees up your time to actually play missions with other players with real interaction is somehow less good.

Just now, Lacuda said:

What interaction is there currently?

"WTS xx Riven xx plat obo" 3 hours of Brooklyn Nine Nine later you get a whisper and spend 30 seconds in some dojo with a chicken statue in your face before the party abandons without a single word.

Or tabbing completely out of the game constantly to use a third party website which likely violates some ToS line.

Amazing player interaction you got going there. You're right, a fair economy balanced auction house that frees up your time to actually play missions with other players with real interaction is somehow less good.

Please, don't come at me with such an attitude. I said, what DE said on multiple occasions. Sorry to do so. I won't do it again.
Just because you have no pleasant interactions with the people you are trading with it's not the same for everyone. I have quite some nice chats with some people, maybe not everyone, but still.
And yes, if items were traded automatically without any interaction, maybe even when being offline, or aft, that seems to be something DE doesn't want to happen.
So how about you think about a way of making an auction house where players then have to interact and talk to each other to make the trade. Then we might be talking. But you seem to not wanting to do that. You seem like you just want to tell DE that they are stupid, and you are way better. Good for you. But if you do it like that, we won't ever see an auction house. So that would be DE's win and your loss then...

1 minute ago, WhiteMarker said:

Please, don't come at me with such an attitude. I said, what DE said on multiple occasions. Sorry to do so. I won't do it again.
Just because you have no pleasant interactions with the people you are trading with it's not the same for everyone. I have quite some nice chats with some people, maybe not everyone, but still.
And yes, if items were traded automatically without any interaction, maybe even when being offline, or aft, that seems to be something DE doesn't want to happen.
So how about you think about a way of making an auction house where players then have to interact and talk to each other to make the trade. Then we might be talking. But you seem to not wanting to do that. You seem like you just want to tell DE that they are stupid, and you are way better. Good for you. But if you do it like that, we won't ever see an auction house. So that would be DE's win and your loss then...

An only-online market is an option if done in game. In WoW they had Cash on Delivery options so you could mail items and receive payment. They could set it up so that players have the ability to choose whether they want to do in-person trades or choose to do mail trades.

Otherwise you're just saying players should have no ability to trade with others who play at different times. That's excessively restrictive for very arbitrary reasons, wouldn't you think?

Player choice is important and I don't think anybody could argue that.

32 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

100's of hours on many game WoW, gw2, aion as a few examples all with large auction system, try being a little less rude, youre very condescending

26 minutes ago, Lacuda said:

Player choice is important and I don't think anybody could argue that.

You can easily argue that. See all the people crying when an OP nuke frame gets changed?
Player choice is nothing to go by.

27 minutes ago, Lacuda said:

They could set it up so that players have the ability to choose whether they want to do in-person trades or choose to do mail trades.

And why would any player ever chose to do an in-person trade if they got the option to choose?
I will say it again, maybe you will understand it. DE WANTS something. They WANT player to INTERACT. They do NOT want players to NOT interact. They don't want mail trades.
As I'm not a native English speaker, I'm using rather simple wording. I think you should be able to understand what I just wrote.

8 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

You can easily argue that. See all the people crying when an OP nuke frame gets changed?
Player choice is nothing to go by.

And why would any player ever chose to do an in-person trade if they got the option to choose?
I will say it again, maybe you will understand it. DE WANTS something. They WANT player to INTERACT. They do NOT want players to NOT interact. They don't want mail trades.
As I'm not a native English speaker, I'm using rather simple wording. I think you should be able to understand what I just wrote.

DE has said many a thing over the years and have gone back on those, never doubt the power of a community and their wants, if it gets enough traction it can happen

Edited by Twiztid243

I can't think of a single time where DE changed their minds completely.
When they want back on their words, they found a way to approach things the way they wanted to do things.
So for an auction house this means they would have to find a way to have players interact. And not have players choose to interact. Straight up have them interact.
Still not seeing that happening, as everyone struggles to come up with something that fits the parameters.

2 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

I can't think of a single time where DE changed their minds completely.
When they want back on their words, they found a way to approach things the way they wanted to do things.
So for an auction house this means they would have to find a way to have players interact. And not have players choose to interact. Straight up have them interact.
Still not seeing that happening, as everyone struggles to come up with something that fits the parameters.

To be plainly honest, direct player interaction in trading not always a good thing. Yes having players interacting  is good, however warframe is not something that is only online for a few hours. Player's play the game at all hours of the day. Requiring player interaction means a player who plays at one time can never trade with another player who is not online when they are.

If De want's player interaction It would be easy enough to have a List/offer system where players can list an item for sale then have players post offers. This would be a nearly exact level of interaction with the current system, but will allow players to trade with anyone.