Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Chroma Prime - What is he good for?

Canach

Question

OK, so Chroma Prime was fun to play with - make the Dragon effigy, change energy colors, get him to L30 and all that. I understand that he's supposed to be really good support and really good for hunting Eidolons, but I don't team a lot and I'm new to hunting Eidolons, so I don't reallly understand how to utilize this guy. 

How to Chroma?  Thanks! :redveil:

Chroma is good against Profit Taker too, since he can witstand its damage and boost itself more passively, making him an good option as solo option
and most important: his effigy can 2x its credit drops (raising from 125k to 250k credits) if you put in "where is supposed to be its credit drops place"  and stay close to it

Those 2 videos regurgitate the wiki stats and otherwise wasted my time and neither of them addressed hunting Eidolons - wanted you to know I watched them (I lose).

I understand the description of his abilities - I was asking how to effectively use him - guess I'll keep him until I need the slot...

Edited by Canach

hace 2 minutos, Canach dijo:

Those 2 videos regurgitate the wiki stats and otherwise wasted my time - wanted you to know I watched them (I lose).

I understand the description of his abilities - I was asking how to effectively use him - guess I'll keep him until I need the slot...

Sadly the only way to use him is keeping his 2 and 3 active at all time with a decente range, at least equip stretch, you dont really need all the strength that you equip for eidolons and orbs since his base strength is more than enough, you can boost the credist received if his 4 is active, and finally his one, its a decent skill, deals mediocre but not horrible damage and cc, thats pretty much it

A little more information:

I'm more interested in why/how people use Chroma for hunting Eidolons than anything esle.

For the number 2 ability, I thought Electric using Elemental Ward with the Everlasting Ward augument would be cool - but when I tested it in Hydron a player complained about it making screwing with his exploding arrows - hmm... what I get for using a PUG.

The number 3 ability buff armor by losing shields doesn't make sense to me, not anymore than trading health for DPS - what kind of deal is that?

The number 1 and 4 abilities were the most fun, but not really effective, IMHO.

@Quimoth I got tanky - I use Inaros and Rhino, Chroma doesn't seem in the same class as those two.

45 minutes ago, Canach said:

but I don't team a lot and I'm new to hunting Eidolons, so I don't reallly understand how to utilize this guy. 

How to Chroma?  Thanks! :redveil:

5 minutes ago, Canach said:

Those 2 videos regurgitate the wiki stats and otherwise wasted my time - wanted you to know I watched them (I lose).

Chroma is an undeniably powerful frame who nonetheless falls into a pitfall of design:

Monobuild

This is why every single guide just restates the same suggestions and information over and over again. Two of his abilities are just... garbage... Spectral Scream is one of the least useful First powers in the entire game, doing piddling damage and locking out your guns while draining your precious energy. Effigy is at least theoretically useful -- if you can find a source of energy for it, it provides a distraction and crowd control to defend a point while giving you a run speed buff, and the loss of armor is easily negated by Vex Armor -- but as a Fourth skill it's incredibly underwhelming.

As a result, literally everyone will tell you "just pile everything into Power Strength to boost Elemental Ward and Vex Armor". And they're not wrong. But we can go into more detail than that so here's a short thesis on Chroma:

Chroma is a tanky, status-buffing Warframe built to take no flak and dish out plenty in return. The usual playstyle for Chroma is to cast Elemental Ward and Vex Armor to literally wade into enemy lines, killing them before they can ever hope to kill him. 

Vex armor is the bread and butter of Chroma's might. After losing his shields, Chroma's armor stat is through the roof, giving him massive damage reduction. This will be boosted further with certain Elemental Wards. Once his shields are down, further damage to Chroma gives him an enormous damage bonus, letting him destroy any surviving enemies with ease before they can finish him off.

Elemental Ward: Ice can be used to skyrocket Chroma's armor even further, turning him into an unstoppable glacier of dragon might. Elemental Ward: Fire can regenerate his health -- much more than the 100 health loss he needs to reach max Vex Armor boost -- giving him long-term staying power instead of short-term tankiness. Enemental Ward: Toxin is all bout damage, boosting Chroma's reload speed and dealing a special scaling damage to nearby melee enemies -- they instantly lose 5% of their max health every second. Elemental Ward: Electricity turns Chroma into a capacitor, storing the damage he took to charge Vex Armor and shooting it back at enemies with a hefty 10x base multiplier

With his boosted stats, Chroma is no flashy warframe, but he doesn't need flashiness to tear his enemies asunder. A Chroma's ideal playstyle is to simply stand his ground, powering through enemies and felling the biggest of game with nary but a couple shots. You need to manage your energy and health, or you'll be stuck in a field of enemies without your best buffs, but play Chroma well and your enemies will see why they should never meddle in the affairs of dragons

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Canach said:

A little more information:

I'm more interested in why/how people use Chroma for hunting Eidolons than anything esle.

For the number 2 ability, I thought Electric using Elemental Ward with the Everlasting Ward augument would be cool - but when I tested it in Hydron a player complained about it making screwing with his exploding arrows - hmm... what I get for using a PUG.

The number 3 ability buff armor by losing shields doesn't make sense to me, not anymore than trading health for DPS - what kind of deal is that?

The number 1 and 4 abilities were the most fun, but not really effective, IMHO.

@Quimoth I got tanky - I use Inaros and Rhino, Chroma doesn't seem in the same class as those two.

And as for this list:

Chroma is good for eidolon hunting because with the right Vex Armor buff, he is dealing 6x damage per shot. Combine that with a radiation sniper rifle, you can break kneecaps in two or three shots. SOLO

Vex Armor is far better than you give it credit for. To get max armor buff you only need to lose 300 shields. Shields in this game are crap once you get past War Within, and the Armor bonus gives you 90% to 95% damage reduction. That's way more protection than you get from shields. Then with Elemental Ward Ice you can boost that to NINETY NINE PERCENT, or with Elemental Ward Fire you can regenerate health far faster than enemies can chip it away

Yes, Inaros is tanky, but with the right build, Chroma can match it -- even with only 1000 base health to Inaros's 5400

Edited by TARINunit9

43 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

To get max armor buff you only need to lose 300 shields. Shields in this game are crap once you get past War Within, and the Armor bonus gives you 90% to 95% damage reduction. That's way more protection than you get from shields. Then with Elemental Ward Ice you can boost that to NINETY NINE PERCENT, or with Elemental Ward Fire you can regenerate health far faster than enemies can chip it awa

So, for hunting Eidolons, sounds like the plan is to have no shields equipped and to go in with Ice or Fire, and then to turn on Vex Armor as soon as combat starts and Elemental Ward as soon as my shields are down, and then to just keep both abilities active - with the armor keeping me healthy and the health hits making me do more damage.

Is that right?

So then I build him like Inaros for Energy on damage and use the Inaros build on my sentinel (medi-ray, no shield gen). Do I max Duration & Strength then, right? EDIT: Just Strength - you said that already - plus I can recast as needed with the energy from damage.

Edit 2: Do you use a Decaying Dragon key on him to deplete shields earlier?

Edited by Canach

@TARINunit9

How's this sound?

• Element set to Ice
  • Polarity: Rifle Amp for my Rubico Prime
  • Vitality & Gladiator Resolve for Health
  • Steel Fiber & Gladiator Aegis for Armor -  Gladiator set boosts crit chance per multiplier which works well with my Rubico and Arcane Momentum
  • Blind Rage and Intinsify for Strength
  • Rage and Hunter Adreneline for Energy from Damage (85%) to keep the abilities going
  • Decaying Dragon Key Equipped to reduce shields to 75 to start
  • Sentinel with no shield generator, but with Medi-ray.

EDIT:  Optionally replace Rage with Primed Flow

Edited by Canach

13 minutes ago, Canach said:

@TARINunit9

How's this sound?

• Element set to Ice
  • Steel Fiber & Gladiator Aegis for Armor -  Gladiator set boosts crit chance per multiplier which works well with my Rubico and Arcane Momentum
  • Rage and Hunter Adreneline for Energy from Damage (85%) to keep the abilities going

Take off the Dragon Key -- Vex Armor gives you armor when you lose shields, but you can't lose shields if you have no shields -- otherwise that looks great for a start

13 hours ago, Canach said:

Polarity: Rifle Amp for my Rubico Prime

Chroma already gets +Damage from his abilities, it's not a total damage multiplier but acts like Base Damage Mods,
many Loadouts even toss out Serration for that reason, so a mere ~50% more from Dead Eye is not gonna do much, just FYI.

Gladiator set boosts crit chance per multiplier which works well with my Rubico

That's for the Combo Counter on Melee, not Snipers 😛

Rage and Hunter Adreneline

Kind of overkill to have both, also self-damage doesn't trigger these, in case you weren't aware.

15 hours ago, (PS4)Apoleon_amarr said:

keeping his 2 and 3 active at all time with a decente range

This is ALMOST true. OP has specified they play solo, so yeah, they do need 2 and 3 up all the time, but they don't need range as they only have to buff themselves.

Here is what I do when playing Chroma Prime solo: Energy Siphon as aura, and of course Energizing Dash, are there to make up for the fact that you don't have a Trinity handy. Strength needs to be high (bare minimum of 200%, but the higher the better), and Duration also needs to be high so as to make you recast your 2 and your 3 less often, further mitigating energy issues. Efficiency is not THAT necessary but again, you have no Trinity, so try and avoid dumping it. Range can be dumped because, again, you're only buffing yourself, so yeah, max rank Narrow Minded should definitely be there.

Lastly, make sure you slot in Vitality, Adaptation and, if you have it, Arcane Guardian. Then you basically stand in front of the enemies and let them hit you: as long as you remember to ALWAYS recast your 3 before it runs out (I really can't stress this enough, keeping your 3 permanently active is your top priority), you will soon reach a point where enemy attacks deal no damage to you, but yours deal enormous damage to them. As for your 2, using it with blue (ice) is generally considered the "meta" for the extra armor, but in my experience that is only true when playing in a team: when playing solo, I have found red (fire) to give better results, because you can use it as an emergency heal button: this gives you a way to stay alive early on (when you're still building up your bonuses) and also gives you an excuse to cast your 2 less often, further mitigating energy issues. Again, Chroma really is as his best with his cute little sister Trinity supporting him, so if you're going to play solo you'll need ways to make up for her absence.

The end result is a tremendously sturdy tank with enormous damage potential: this is ideal for giant bosses such as Lephantis (but Infested have multiple ways to steal your energy, so watch out for that), Eidolons and the Ropalolyst, but even outside of those you're going to be a terror for missions that require killing a lot of enemies, like Sortie Exterminate, long runs in Survival etc. I regularly use such a Chroma for Arbitrations, and as long as the mission does not involve defending an objective (he doesn't really have the tools for that) he's absolutely unstoppable.

I also personally find him really fun to play in such a solo juggernaut role, but then again, I just enjoy juggernaut-type characters in general.

Edited by TearsOfTomorrow

15 hours ago, Canach said:

I was asking how to effectively use him - guess I'll keep him until I need the slot...

If you understand how to use him, you wouldn't have asked "How to chroma"
The videos show builds = how to use him. Aside that they provide tips and tricks.
Essentially you didn't understood nothing, especially from the second video.If you wanted a solo guide for eidolons exactly you should have asked only that.
Hunting eidolons solo is - bring an x27 put your 3, 2, spawn a wisp(unairo), shoot and you are done.

16 hours ago, Canach said:

Those 2 videos regurgitate the wiki stats and otherwise wasted my time and neither of them addressed hunting Eidolons - wanted you to know I watched them (I lose).

Oh my god, he actually noticed. I'm actually proud of that.

First video has a horrible build, second video is generic.

(how to not be a S#&$ "these warframe", play mot like it is difficult).

Edited by MPonder

Want to know really why most people used him for eidolon hunt? The answer is simple, because people are so bad at building, that they still need to watch build videos in 2020. Like, before Itzal Nerfs and the S#&$ bug with projectile weapons, Ivara could be used for Eidolon hunt with some practice, but if you got Ivara for eidolon hunt, people were all like "Why Ivara", "Where is our chroma".

Why people that had actually some knowledge on eidolon hunt? Big damage (not the highest), more than tank enough for eidolons, easy to use, 2 ability with reload speed was great too, because reload is a pretty important stat when using snipers. But he isn't the only Warframe that can get the job done.

After Itzal nerfs, I think (not playing Warframe that much these months), people are using more Volt as DPS instead of Chroma, because Volt's 2 can speed up the archwing, which make fast charge the first lure more easy, also to teleport the lures after every eidolon kill.

For Chroma habilities, for eidolon hunt:

3rd ability - Tank and DAMAGE, there is bonus damage on second ability, and you can get around 1000% bonus damage additivie with damage mods.

2nd ability with green color - reload speed.

Edited by MPonder

7 minutes ago, MPonder said:

First video has a horrible build,

I honestly don't get it. I mean, that's the whole gimmick with Ashinogi Tenno, isn't it? He'll make videos in which he'll explain, with a lot of details and a lot of intelligent arguments, how a warframe works... And then he'll include a build which is not only bad, but also directly contradicts the points he himself had made in the video up to that point. In some cases it gets so blatant it really feels like he's just trolling: what's the point of doing that? I guess intentionally pissing people off is his way to create "controversy" and thus keep people watching, but... Meh, it just seems dumb to me. Either way, I'd never recommend his videos to someone who needs to learn.

I dunno why the #*!% he is even considering putting S#&$ 45% armor mods on chroma, you probably get almost twice the armor with Augur secrets while buffing your bonus dmg and other abilities. Even power drift can probably give chroma more armor than a 45% armor mod.

Edited by MPonder

16 hours ago, Canach said:

@TARINunit9

How's this sound?

• Element set to Ice

Horrible build. 

Thanks for all the feedback, "I'll most likely kill him in the morning." :redveil:

Current plan (hunting Eidolons with PUG):

• Element set to Ice
  • Aura: Dead Eye for my Rubico Prime
  • Steel Fiber & Gladiator Aegis for Armor
  • Primed Flow and Hunter Adreneline (45% Energy from Damage)
Edited by Canach