Jump to content
Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are Riven Challenges still a thing?


Rxanadu
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm assuming this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen any posts on it recently here or anywhere else. For the longest time, I assumed they were around to prevent players from... farming Riven mods or something? They don't dictate which weapon you get after completing them; some of them can be prohibitively difficult or cumbersome for players who either don't have the correct builds to pull them off or don't want to deal with the tedium of it all; they don't prevent newer players from exploiting coveted Riven mods (that's supposed to be the job of the Mastery Rank limits for Riven mods); and most of them aren't related to the weapon you're trying to unveil the Riven mod for. I'd be fine with going to a vendor like Simaris to complete an objective to get a random competed Riven mod once a day (similar to his daily enemy scan challenges), but right now, Riven challenges seem more like an arbitrary roadblock without any significant purpose.

However, the more I think of it and the less people I see buying or trading for veiled Riven mods (in my experience, anyway), the challenges could be removed from the game without loosing the tedium of getting a Riven mod for a weapon you don't use or a good Riven mod with terrible stats. You can't even transmute veiled Riven mods, so the only reason I can immediately think of is something with how they're created in the game's code (e.g. a Riven first has to be Veiled in order to dictate its weapon type). This is to say nothing about how it actually makes the Riven mod limit (base or max) even worse - players are less likely to throw out a veiled Riven mod (which could contain any assortment of good or bad Riven mods) than one for bad Riven they immediately know is something they don't want to deal with.

I must be missing something, so if anyone else can help me out on this, please let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually like riven challenges. They force me to go out of my regular playing routine, and sometimes they are actually a bit challenging. Also, i don't like the idea of having the most potentially unbalanced and game breaking items of the game as an easy-to-get vendor item. So, if you ask me, i think they should stay as they are.

Edited by General-Pacman
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be honest, now that I'm at a point where there's few weapons I actually want Rivens for, doing the harder challenges, which used to be a nice change of pace, and give some sense of achievement when it was for a weapon I like, doing silly requirements that often involve Dragon keys and not being seen or whatever are starting to drag, because chances are I'm gonna get a duplicate Riven that's of no real value to me. on the occasions I get free Rivens for logins or whatever, they're always the aforementioned "do X with Y key equipped at Z level or higher without being detected solo" type of tasks. 

7 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

I actually like riven challenges. They force me to go out of my regular playing routine, and sometimes they are actually a bit challenging. Also, i don't like the idea of having the most potentially unbalanced and game breaking items of the game as an easy-to-get vendor item. So, if you ask me, i think they should stay as they are.

the damage is already done at this point. Trading might as well be renamed "Riven Chat", Disposition buffs and nerfs are always riling players up and ludicrous amounts of plat get spent on them. if they removed the requirements, it wouldn't really do much to the Status Quo. for making weapons you enjoy better and even more enjoyable, Rivens are a blessing, but as with so many things, we have found ways to turn them against ourselves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

he defense object takes no damage challenge.  And the x headshots in a single airglide.   

funnily enough those are easy with the right gear.

for the Defense one I always take Limbo to Akkad, Eris, and just spam 2 and 4. the infested can't get close enough to hurt the pod, and any ranged spit attacks can't do damage through the rift.

for the Aimglide one, I use "the Pipe trick". all you need is Zephyr, a Soma or other high capacity, preferably full auto hitscan gun, and a trip to an Asteroid Base survival like Draco. look for a tile where there is a long, straight pipe connecting the two rooms, then position yourself so that enemies have to come through the pipe to reach you. jump up in front of the pipe and as you aim glide down, fire away; it works with any frame but Zephyr is lighter and therefore gives you a little bit more time in the air. as the enemies are forced into single file within the pipe, the chances of getting headshots is greatly increased. Punchthrough makes it even easier. done this many times, it's never failed me.

still more of a PITA than some objectives, but those are do-able.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're the only reason I still bother with rivens. They're what mini objectives at the start of a missions should have been.

20 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

Also, i don't like the idea of having the most potentially unbalanced and game breaking items of the game as an easy-to-get vendor item. So, if you ask me, i think they should stay as they are.


Like Magus Lockdown?

Edited by AuroraSonicBoom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

funnily enough those are easy with the right gear.

for the Defense one I always take Limbo to Akkad, Eris, and just spam 2 and 4. the infested can't get close enough to hurt the pod, and any ranged spit attacks can't do damage through the rift.

for the Aimglide one, I use "the Pipe trick". all you need is Zephyr, a Soma or other high capacity, preferably full auto hitscan gun, and a trip to an Asteroid Base survival like Draco. look for a tile where there is a long, straight pipe connecting the two rooms, then position yourself so that enemies have to come through the pipe to reach you. jump up in front of the pipe and as you aim glide down, fire away; it works with any frame but Zephyr is lighter and therefore gives you a little bit more time in the air. as the enemies are forced into single file within the pipe, the chances of getting headshots is greatly increased. Punchthrough makes it even easier. done this many times, it's never failed me.

still more of a PITA than some objectives, but those are do-able.

Like ive tried tip after tip.  Video after video.  Countless hours to try to win those challenges but i can never do it so i give up on them maybe next time i get one ill try your tips.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Like ive tried tip after tip.  Video after video.  Countless hours to try to win those challenges but i can never do it so i give up on them maybe next time i get one ill try your tips.

Pax Seeker on a Catchmoon makes it a breeze. Slow Nova on a mission with a bunch of enemies in a room; equip aim glide duration mods, jump, get one headshot then just hold glide as long as you can. Pax Seeker does the 2nd 2 headshots for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

most of them was playable. but sometimes i find mods with very retarded "challenges"... like "kill 4 dargyn before they hit the ground"...

i watched some videos from 2018/2019 and tried different warframes etc. NOTHING WORKED! i am not going to waste my time on such BS.

it has nothing to do with challenge. its highest level of stupidity! its not even offense. its fact! challenge is "XX headshots in row"!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I first started playing this game, it gave challenges during every mission when you started. They were differing in hardship as some were Kill 30 enemies...and in PUB, that could be hard with the old clear mob frames killing before you could do anything.

Then there were the Achievements we all have in game to do. Those keep coming with each update and are indeed welcomed.

Riven challenges are fun to attempt and they are bragging rights worthy....til people found ways of cheesing them. They give players something to see if they are able to do what they say as well as multiple challenges at the same time.

The idea of Riven Challenges are cool and I would prefer to have them on a Bulletin board of some type that lets you do them for others that find them crazy hard or not worth it. You slot your Riven Challenge on the PoE it OV board, someone does it for you. They get Endo and a Riven, you get to see the reveal. It's a continuous cycle that encourages players helping players.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kill dargyn pilot before they hit the ground - you can still do this challenge after they hit the ground. The challenge criteria only checks if they're airborne when killed. Nidus' Larva [2] picks things up from the ground, Titania's Spellbind [1] and Lantern [3] floats them from the ground (mod for negative duration), Rhino's stomp (mod for negative strength). Shoot them while they're up there and you're done.

Headshot while aimgliding - put Patagium on your frame and Tractor Beam on your MOA and you can float for a really long time. Just jump straight up and glide, easier time to aim. a kitgun with Pax Seeker does all the work for you.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, fuffi2milka said:

most of them was playable. but sometimes i find mods with very retarded "challenges"... like "kill 4 dargyn before they hit the ground"...

i watched some videos from 2018/2019 and tried different warframes etc. NOTHING WORKED! i am not going to waste my time on such BS.

it has nothing to do with challenge. its highest level of stupidity! its not even offense. its fact! challenge is "XX headshots in row"!

I have completed this challenge.  Only way i did it was playing nova using her slow.  Grab ignis or ignis wrath slap a mod to extend the guns range.  See the dargyn bullet jump at it dlow in the air. And spray down the target hope to kill the pilot in that time.

Only method i found that worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, blimsoon said:

Try Locking a group of enemy in an open place (using Bastile, Freeze, Condemn , whatever...) , equip Tractor Beam and other +Aim glide bonus mods.
You will float for a very long time, do headshots, Done.

Tried all those for hrs nothing worked.  All the tricks people have suggested never work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, blimsoon said:

Lots of people is buying my veiled riven mods though, I'm almost always out of stock.

I dont really want to hand someone else my headache.  I have only sold 1 veiled riven i couldn't do to a clan member for 10 plat.

Otherwise the few dozen rivens i cant do have been turned into endo.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, blimsoon said:

That's strange, Pax Seeker should complete the challenge in one shot, I have no idea why it didn't work for you, maybe DE changed something ?
but I havn't done any challenge for a long time now.

Its ok ill just melt the rivens i cant do.  I have 40 something opened up and rolled well.

I have just about everything presently ingame.  So most of the time i just crack skulls for stress relief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Theres only 2 i can never complete so i just dissolve them personally.

The defense object takes no damage challenge.  And the x headshots in a single airglide.   

Not worth trying. To much of a headache.

object takes no damage: use Limbo
x headshots: equip Patagium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Its ok ill just melt the rivens i cant do.

I do the same, but with all rivens, i think I have some, but don't have a single one I would use. Even if I would bother with a "challenge", it's usually some garbage and I need 1000000 kuva to reroll it, it just turns into more headache if you open them. I personally saw riven with 120 rerolls, some dude offered 25 plat for it lol. Someone else told me that they saw a riven with 300 rerolls. I just don't have that much time to waste, really don't know what to do with them and it doesn't let me to start sortie if I'm at limit, so they go into Endo. I have 450k Endo too, so I don't really know why do they exist, for me it's just some garbage I have to dispose of regularly.

Edited by 32768
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...