Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are Riven Challenges still a thing?

Rxanadu

They are called challenges, because we need challenges in warframe, to make use of all the mods we have, frames . builds, gimmick weapons...
If everything is given, why bother playing the game?
I have friends that can´t do some challenges, but we help them, opening the riven, and trading after...everybody wins...
If it was a grinding wall, i would agree, but ists not, its a tecnichal/build/frame/ to do.. doen't require grind or RNgesus..just using your brain and some degree of technic..
Its good as it is!!!!
Dont make the game more easier than it is..please....

10 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

funnily enough those are easy with the right gear.

for the Defense one I always take Limbo to Akkad, Eris, and just spam 2 and 4. the infested can't get close enough to hurt the pod, and any ranged spit attacks can't do damage through the rift.

for the Aimglide one, I use "the Pipe trick". all you need is Zephyr, a Soma or other high capacity, preferably full auto hitscan gun, and a trip to an Asteroid Base survival like Draco. look for a tile where there is a long, straight pipe connecting the two rooms, then position yourself so that enemies have to come through the pipe to reach you. jump up in front of the pipe and as you aim glide down, fire away; it works with any frame but Zephyr is lighter and therefore gives you a little bit more time in the air. as the enemies are forced into single file within the pipe, the chances of getting headshots is greatly increased. Punchthrough makes it even easier. done this many times, it's never failed me.

still more of a PITA than some objectives, but those are do-able.

Why bother with such cumbersome set up? 

Just get Frost and spam your 4th for the first challenge. As for the second, get some enemies together, throw that speargun which primes for headshots and profit.

15 hours ago, (XB1)aMichealMeyers said:

I'll often turn the veiled riven into endo if the challenge is something stupid that I don't wanna #*!% with 

same. I've endo'd I don't know how many rivens because of  "do___ while aim-gliding."

I get that Riven challenges are supposed to present something unique for the player to do, in exchange for something to really boost a weapon. The problem is, some rivens are better than others. Yes, disposition means under-utilized weapons have a better chance of getting a godly riven, but that uncertainty puts some people off. I don't want to go through the tedium of aim-glide headshots or no-damage defense only to end up with a Kraken riven. At the very least it'd be nice if veiled Rivens told you what weapon it was for.

I'll do riven challenges if they don't require me to do much beyond my typical play-style. "Get 80 finishers in one mission?" Hmm.. tedious, but not really hard. Okay, I'll do that one. "Do ___ with a Hobbled Dragon Key, alone?" Nope, endo. Not bothering. Don't care if it was going to be a god-riven for an Akjagara, I'm not doing it. Too much of a PITA.

I play Warframe to have fun, and many of these challenges are not fun for me. So I scrap and move on. You don't need rivens for this game.

16 hours ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Like ive tried tip after tip.  Video after video.  Countless hours to try to win those challenges but i can never do it so i give up on them maybe next time i get one ill try your tips.

Grab a friend with either a Khora or Frost and the bring the other. Then pick the Eris infested defense 

it should be like larvlings r now and state the weapon. u could trash or trade the ones u dont want without suffering thru the ridiculousness only to get a garbage riven. conversely ud not mind doing a tough challenge if u knew it was for a riven u wanted. u could still get a terrible initial roll. idky it wasnt that way to start. tough to sell a bad stat riven even for an ok weap. but a veiled ok weap riven would be a stable sale, not just 5p any veiled riven or whatever. idk ive never had a challenge i couldnt do but its just another portion of wf i dont bother with anymore.

"8 consecutive headshots while in arch-wing without getting status"

--glances invisible barrier in plains @ 7/8, counter resets

It wasn't challenging, the whole goal was fly around high/far and get barely into sniper range so that enemies do not shoot at me.  It wasn't hard, just took time.

"kill, fish, mine" --> find a rock, pond and enemies nearby. Hardly a challenge, just annoying.

"scan w/o abilities, no trap, no damage" Annoying as hell, go rhino and find the lowest lvl mission w/ capture target you can. Not really a challenge, just really annoying.

By contrast "20 kills while wall latched/without touching ground" --> Releases maim and kills half the exterminate mission --> done in 2 mins.  Or, get a Penta.  Hardest part is getting 20 enemies into one area.

23 minutes ago, (XB1)HollowCube987 said:

U WOT M8?

I assume you mean what mr i am.  I am presently mr 22 almost 23.  I stopped actively trying on mr ranks after 19.

There are only those 2 riven challenges i can never complete.  After spending hrs trying i gave up.

Atm i do not have any vieled rivens if i get those challenges again later ill give the tips here a try.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2

12 minutes ago, (XB1)HollowCube987 said:

What I meant was "You're doing what now". It shocked me because I didn't know dissolving rivens was possible, let alone you were doing it for another reason than because you needed the space.

I dissolve the the rivens i cant do since them taking up space is pointless is all.

I could sell them but the console chat interface is awful do a avoid being social in game.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2

Kill x number or Dargyn Pilots before they hit the ground: Slow Nova and a single shot hit scan gun without punch thru. Jump in the air and cast M. Prime. Shoot the very bottom most part of the Dargyn, the explosion will kill the pilot and you get one of x done. 

Defense without the defense taking Damage: Limbo cast Catacylsm and Stasis before each round. If you have a friend that can bring a nuke frame it's even better but doable alone. Leave at 5 waves. Eris defense is best if you are going it alone. 

Headshots in a single Aimglide: Draco, Ceres any mission look for a pipe connecting 2 rooms. Aimglide with a Kitgun get one headshot, Pax Seeker will do the rest. 

Kill Dargyns with a bow: Kuva Fortress Assault, pick up the data pad and go to the first locked door where you use it. Place it and Dargyns will spawn to your left and right about 20m away, easy kills.  

Exterminate without being seen: Ivara on Adaro, Sedna and a Baza. Take your time use energy pizzas in a safe place if necessary. 

Scan target without being seen or using abilities: Ivara, cast Prowl at the beginning of the stage. As long as you don't use an ability close to the scan target it won't fail you. Might have to use (Primed) Flow if you aren't using it in your build to make sure you have enough energy to stay in Prowl until you find the target. 

8 consecutive head shots in a Archwing: Take an unmodded Lato or Lato Vandal and an Amesha to the Plains. Go to the geyser and cast Amesha's 1 and then 3. The 3 will slow enemies to a near halt. You can get about 5 headshots on each enemy before they die. Should be done before 2nd enemy dies. 

Interception without killing anyone: Mithra, Void. Rhino with low strength, max range, max duration. Take the first point and go to any of the other 3. Now Stomp and watch the timer in the bottom right on the Stomp icon. Every time that timer runs out Stomp again. Capture the 3 points in this main room then go to the middle point and just keep Stomping. They will recapture that first point but you will have the other 3. Also works with Nidus's Larva but I tend to have energy issues when I try it with Nidus. 

If I'm missing any you are having troubles with @ me or pm me. There is not one of these challenges that is difficult. You just have to use your imagination. 

Disclaimer: I am not saying these are the absolute easiest ways to get them done. I'm sure the collective communities imagination is far more powerful than my own. However these methods are tried and true for me. 

They're pointless, unnecessary busywork. Especially annoying if you a have a challenge that's a real nuisance and you riven you get from it is for a garbage weapon. There's a lot of nonsense going on with rivens including the mr that can limit who you sell them to.The whole thing needs to be redone and it's a failure except they won't be touched because it makes them money. They shouldn't be something that need to have their stats changed every so often and I don't invest in them anymore for that reason after seeing my favorites get nerfed.

3 hours ago, zehne said:

It wasn't challenging, the whole goal was fly around high/far and get barely into sniper range so that enemies do not shoot at me.  It wasn't hard, just took time.

BTW, unless it's 8 consecutive kills (which I've also had, and was a pain), the 8 consecutive headshots in the plains is utterly trivial: go at night, find the eidolon, and shoot it in the head with an autorifle. Brrrrt. Riven done.

As to the main topic, I agree -- the challenges have probably outlived their usefulness. I mean, Rivens are vendor items now, available via token systems - slivers, or vitus juice. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

2 hours ago, Methanoid said:

why are they still there?  simple stuff, because they want you playing the game for longer.

They are there because rivens with 300 rerolls exist. Imagine a person who spent months farming kuva and rerolling some stupid riven three hundred times. If they nerf or remove it, this person won't play Warframe ever again. Or a person who bought this riven for 10k plat and then it got nerfed. They just can't remove or fix it anymore without damaging the game.

40 minutes ago, 32768 said:

They are there because rivens with 300 rerolls exist. Imagine a person who spent months farming kuva and rerolling some stupid riven three hundred times. If they nerf or remove it, this person won't play Warframe ever again. Or a person who bought this riven for 10k plat and then it got nerfed. They just can't remove or fix it anymore without damaging the game.

they didnt put any forethought into such a thing, they never have, its a timegating mechanics like everything else to keep bums on seats and keep you playing.

55 minutes ago, 32768 said:

That is not an example that really supports the argument. Those people might need to stop playing Warframe. For health reasons. 

6 hours ago, zehne said:

"kill, fish, mine" --> find a rock, pond and enemies nearby. Hardly a challenge, just annoying.

"scan w/o abilities, no trap, no damage" Annoying as hell, go rhino and find the lowest lvl mission w/ capture target you can. Not really a challenge, just really annoying.

By contrast "20 kills while wall latched/without touching ground" --> Releases maim and kills half the exterminate mission --> done in 2 mins.  Or, get a Penta.  Hardest part is getting 20 enemies into one area.

You are doing it wrong.

To scan without abilities you go Ivara. Activate prowl before finding the scan target. Profit

Kills during wall latch just go to the Earth Dark Sector defense. Go through one of the doors near the defense target, keep wall jumping and banging your head against the ceiling. Profit. You can do this challenge within 30 seconds.