Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ap Mods On Armor Ignore Weapons

Kolos1001

Question

16 answers to this question

DE could avoid a lot of confusion by just calling it "Piercing Damage" instead of Armor Piercing Damage.

The "armor" part seems to confuse a lot of people. It's just a damage type with its own multiplier like any other.

Most people confuse Armor Piercing with Physics Impact ("Armor Ignore") when they are both armor-ignoring damage (i.e. damage that enemies cannot resist through armor, only through multipliers). Don't forget, Poison and Serrated Blade also are armor-ignoring damage categories.

Most people confuse Armor Piercing with Physics Impact ("Armor Ignore") when they are both armor-ignoring damage (i.e. damage that enemies cannot resist through armor, only through multipliers). Don't forget, Poison and Serrated Blade also are armor-ignoring damage categories.

Was that an attempt to try and impress me with extra knowledge or do you feel like you did a valueable contribution to his further understanding of the mechanics

aaaand you're wrong

physics impact and serrated blade are "armor-ignore"

armor piercing is armor piercing, 50% on light infested, 150% to medium grineer, 100% to all other mobs

Was that an attempt to try and impress me with extra knowledge or do you feel like you did a valueable contribution to his further understanding of the mechanics

I'm not sure how I should respond, although the simplest response shall be quoted:

works the same

base dmg*multiplier

cheers

Throw in faction multipliers to balance the equation.

aaaand you're wrong

armor piercing is armor piercing, 50% on light infested, 150% to medium grineer, 100% to all other mobs

Remember, I said:

armor-ignoring damage (i.e. damage that enemies cannot resist through armor, only through multipliers)

I believe Grineer Seekers and Commanders have a -33% multiplier/resistance to Physics Impact, while Serrated Blade has a +200% damage multiplier on the light Infested.

For Armor Piercing, medium Grineer suffer a +50% damage multiplier, Light Infested have a -50% multiplier, and the Corpus experience +100% more damage on headshots.

Poison is currently the only armor-ignoring damage where no faction has neither resistance or weakness (MOAs do not have armor and always have a +200% damage multiplier towards damage taken on their midsections).

Edited by ChaoticVice777

aaaand you're wrong

Armor-piercing is still armor-ignore, since it does the same damage to an enemy regardless of its level (which armor scales to). The resistances you mention are resistances, not armor.

Edited by Xuande

I believe Grineer Seekers and Commanders have a -33% multiplier/resistance to Physics Impact, while Serrated Blade has a +200% damage multiplier on the light Infested.

I guess we did not leave on the same page on the other thread :s. Physics Impact is not on the armor ignore list for Seekers, Commanders and Rollers. That was the point I was trying to get across; armor ignore is not an attribute of damage types, but rather depends on the enemy. While you would expect it to be on their armor ignore list, it's not for whatever reason.

I also did test it that day. This is an unmodded Kunai against a Seeker on Kiste:

cQgK8eo.jpg

It only did 16 damage. You can calculate out the armor using Pwnatron's enemy scaling formula and the damage matches what it would be if it was reduced by a Seeker's armor at that level.

Edited by CitizenV

I guess we did not leave on the same page on the other thread :s. Physics Impact is not on the armor ignore list for Seekers, Commanders and Rollers. That was the point I was trying to get across; armor ignore is not an attribute of damage types, but rather depends on the enemy. While you would expect it to be on their armor ignore list, it's not for whatever reason.

I also did test it that day. This is an unmodded Kunai against a Seeker on Kiste:

It only did 16 damage. You can calculate out the armor using Pwnatron's enemy scaling formula and the damage matches what it would be if it was reduced by a Seeker's armor at that level.

Well, I did point out that armor-ignoring damage usually is damage that enemies cannot resist through armor, only through multipliers. That being said, the fact that Physics Impact doesn't ignore armor on Grineer Seekers, Commanders, and Rollers (mind you, I only said "believe", not "claim") is a bit ironic, given how people name this damage type "Armor Ignore".

Well, I did point out that armor-ignoring damage usually is damage that enemies cannot resist through armor, only through multipliers. That being said, the fact that Physics Impact doesn't ignore armor on Grineer Seekers, Commanders, and Rollers (mind you, I only said "believe", not "claim") is a bit ironic, given how people name this damage type "Armor Ignore".

Yeah, I know that you understand how it works. I just thought we were already clear on the fact that it was armor reducing the damage not a damage multiplier.

It is indeed ironic, and unfortunate :(.

Edited by CitizenV

I was going to start a new thread about my related question but I'll start here.  It's a more focused question.

I have a Boltor, Kunai, and Dual Ethers.  The first two are physics impact damage and the third deals serrated blade.  What would be the purpose of adding Armor Piercing damage to them?  Should I instead focus on maxing out the native damage?  I'm guessing there will be smaller effects, probably concerning commanders, seekers and ancients, right?

Trying to decide whether to focus on base damage increase or layer on some armor piercing.

I was going to start a new thread about my related question but I'll start here.  It's a more focused question.

I have a Boltor, Kunai, and Dual Ethers.  The first two are physics impact damage and the third deals serrated blade.  What would be the purpose of adding Armor Piercing damage to them?  Should I instead focus on maxing out the native damage?  I'm guessing there will be smaller effects, probably concerning commanders, seekers and ancients, right?

Trying to decide whether to focus on base damage increase or layer on some armor piercing.

Armor Piercing damage adds another armor-ignoring damage type that derives itself off the "base" damage of the weapons. Additionally, having multiple types of armor-ignoring damage allows bullets/projectiles to affect all factions. In your case:

Boltor, Kunai (Physics Impact + Armor Piercing) - Grineer Seekers and Commanders take the full damage from AP, take mitigated damage from Physics Impact

Dual Ethers (Serrated Blade + Armor Piercing) - anything that isn't light Infested take the full AP damage; although AP itself suffers a -50% multiplier from light Infested, it is still armor-ignoring damage, which makes it inherently better than elemental damage; Serrated Blade makes up for the "slack" for light Infested anyhow

Overall, Armor Piercing mods should always be included on all weapons, but base damage is important because mods are derived from base stats.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

Ah, that answers much of what I was wondering.  Since the base damage type is already really good, should I focus on  it and bolster with a little AP?  Or try to go a 50/50 spread between them?

Max out your AP mod first, then start focusing on bolstering base damage, which is affected by Serration, Bane of X (situational), and Heavy Caliber (do not recommend due to increasing spread significantly at the higher ranks). There's no need to go for a 50/50 approach.