Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could we get VR support for Warframe?

SteveCutler

I would absolutely love VR support for Warframe. This game has such great graphics, as well as in-depth customization, and it would be a joy to see it in person through VR.

I know the usual argument. People say that Warframe is a fast-paced third-person game, and it would therefore be sickness-inducing. But the fact is, there are already other fast-paced games available in VR, as well as third-person games. These aren't necessarily deal-breakers.

At the very least, I would love to be able to walk around my Orbiter, just for the immersion, to see my ship and my decorations. I'd also love to explore my clan dojo in the same way. Maybe VR could be supported just for these areas?

Imagine if we could decorate our dojos in VR! It could be so much easier to place things properly if you could physically move decorations around using the motion controllers, and just walk around to get different viewing angles.

I really like the idea of VR support, but trust me when I say it would be very difficult to implement.

I personally develop VR games and apps, and to make those I need specific SDKs and plugins for my game engine of choice. This is where the problem lies. Warframe is built on the Evolution Engine, a custom made game engine developed by Digital Extremes. This game enigne would need to have its own support for the plugins that are available, and they would need to reach out to the creators of the SDKs to make them compatible with the Evolution Engine. The developers would need access to the Evolution Engine to get it working, and Digital Extremes doesn't license its engine to third party sources.

Its not impossible, it would just take a lot of time and resources to implement. It is possible that Digital Extremes could make their own VR support for the Evolution Engine, but that would take away from Warframe's core experience and gameplay.

I would love to see Warframe get the Hellblade treatment when it comes to VR, but right now thats probably not their focus.

• Like 1

Given that most VR games can turn into a tilt a whirl for low movement, playing warframe in VR would be an accomplishment in itself. That said I would like to see the feature added for Orbiters and Dojo. Although I think its going to be a bit of work on DE's side to do it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveCutler said:

At the very least, I would love to be able to walk around my Orbiter, just for the immersion, to see my ship and my decorations. I'd also love to explore my clan dojo in the same way. Maybe VR could be supported just for these areas?

Whilst yes, cool, gotta wonder how that would actually fit into the game.

Do you log in normally with M/KB and then put on the headset to walk around the ship, only to remove it when starting a mission? How many times do you end up doing this in the space of an hour before it just becomes a ball ache?

Plus it would be a lot of effort for such a small payoff.

Warframe is really not going to be VR anytime soon imo. Sairento VR shows that the gymnastics can be done, but that's a game developed around the system with an extreme number of movement and comfort options.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 2

Some random person out there made a VR mod for GTA5's story mode, so it can't be that hard just for a game's graphics to go VR!! The GTA5 mod still uses a reg controller for game play but everything is in ultimate 3D through the headset!!

The more you use VR, the less motion sickness you experience! When I started using VR it caused me motion sickness but someone taught me how to get over it! Now I can be in VR Chat for hours!!!

• Like 1