Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nova Deluxe Skin Disappointment

(PSN)Vexx757

I`m so disappointed in Nova`s deluxe skin, it`s not even the same concept they showed at tennocon. Don`t get me wrong it`s better than her 1st deluxe but I prefer the other concept so much more, even though I think she needs a revisit due to the fact that her 1st and 3rd could be improved, (imo) that deluxe would have made me use Nova more.

1st better concept design

Spoiler

9s8xk7m8kp831.jpg

Now not a big deal design

Spoiler

qx52ujdrj9e41.jpg

What`s the bloody point of showing a concept, get ppl hyped then say frig it I’m going to change the skin, I don`t care what ppl think coz they are going to play our game no matter what we do. To me it looks more of a tenogen skin than a deluxe and the worst thing is no one else is saying anything about it.

I saw a post of someone saying “Oh my Nova, take my money DE” I don`t know about that person but speaking for myself I’m not buying that deluxe skin, such a disappointment.

Also you get rid of the crate at extraction on ceares which no one had an issue with but you can`t do a simple thing as make limbo`s abilities be visible with chosen energy colour which ppl have been ask for from time ago? make that make some bloody sense.

• Like 13

I feel you, I really do.

The biggest letdown of course is that the swirling energy inside the frame is gone. There is probably a reason to making such a drastic change, to basically remove the only thing that made the skin remarkable. Not sure if its a lore-thing, a problem with the engine, an attempt to not make the skin as render-intensive or whatever. 
Just compare the textures on the skins, the chest area, the stomach and crotch, legs and arms, the textures look NOTHING alike the concept. It feels like "Oh I will just throw some random patterns on there that somehow look decent, like the players will ever notice lmao". The helmet veeeery vaguely resembles the concept one but, as with the skin, has anything that made it interesting removed. Of course it's a concept and concepts change but this is just a completely different skin.
The skin doesn't look bad. For a TennoGen skin. For a deluxe skin, it is just bland. 

DE has this weird habbit of showing concepts for stuff that look reeeaally great, get people excited, but then just deliever something completely different. It was seen with Ember Deluxe, now with Nova, but also with other content like Railjack. I would rather have it they don't tease anything to us until there is a working, confirmed 3D model, or in the case of Railjack, all planned functionalities working as intended instead of just straight up not delievering on their promises.

• Like 14

Literally the point of a concept is to show what they might do.

But doing it on paper, physically, is very different from doing it on the computer. Maybe they couldn't get it to come out the same way. Maybe they did get it exactly the same way but it actually looked terrible as a 3D model. Have you ever noticed how live-action versions of animated media tends to look like garbage when they keep the visuals entirely true to the source?

I personally loved that the concept looked like an artifact creature right out of MtG, but I like the end result as well. With a different color scheme it will still be awesome.

• Like 6

Maybe the skin is not finished yet.

For me it doesn't look like something that's actually finished and ready for release.

Edited by JackHargreav
I should also mention, that usually deluxe skins get a lot of S#&$ before release. The same was the case with Wukong Deluxe. He didn't have the glowy bits either but it was added to the skin at release. Probably this is the same situation.
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

Meanwhile I prefer the new version. It just looks so much more... I don't know... machine-ish? I generally like machine/robot looks, so I prefer the new version.

I disagree entirely. The concept has energy all around and metallics everywhere. The skins looks bland. Would fit Mag as a tennogen better than Nova as deluxe.

Later skins have been a disappointment. Last good skin was Nezha's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiritTeA said:

While I agree that it’s pretty bad thing , I can understand  it as an artist. You not always can bring concept into the life. That’s why it’s called CONCEPT 

I can understand not being able to fully bring the concept into life, even though it doesn't seem so much more complicated than other things they've brought to life. Nezha suffered from this problem, when not everything that was in the concept made it to the actual skin. But one thing is to change a few details due to technical difficulties, another entirely different is to completely scrap the concept and do something else entirely different and uninteresting.

Edited by Anthraxicus
  • Like 1

DE often changes from concept to implementation, sometimes drama like the Ember Deluxe skin happens when the artist doesn't agree with DE about what will be used for the game version. I think the skin we are gonna get looks good, but could have been better with the glowy bits.

• Like 1

Bad skins happen, look at Ember, just gotta deal with it. She has a half decent first deluxe, and odds are someday she'll get a third, not to mention she has quality tennogen options (which frankly her coming deluxe could qualify for) to work with. If you don't like the look it's far too far in development to expect a change in course now, and why it took that creative direction change we'll probably never know but it's not an especially common occurrence so (at least to such a noteworthy extent) so I wouldn't consider it worth fretting over either as such a non-trend. 

I'm not feeling particularly fond of the skin either, and if they don't do anything interesting with it's bundle items I can't say I'll have much interest in buying it - third deluxe ever to prompt such sentiments, but such is life. Everyone has a miss or two once in a while. 

Edited by Cubewano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

Bad skins happen, look at Ember, just gotta deal with it. She has a half decent first deluxe, and odds are someday she'll get a third, not to mention she has quality tennogen options (which frankly her coming deluxe could qualify for) to work with. If you don't like the look it's far too far in development to expect a change in course now, and why it took that creative direction change we'll probably never know but it's not an especially common occurrence so (at least to such a noteworthy extent) so I wouldn't consider it worth fretting over either as such a non-trend. 

I'm not feeling particularly fond of the skin either, and if they don't do anything interesting with it's bundle items I can't say I'll have much interest in buying it - third deluxe ever to prompt such sentiments, but such is life. Everyone has a miss or two once in a while. 

By half decent, I hope you meant disgusting. That skin is absolutely awful, which is why I suppose people were expecting a good skin now, not a tennogen. 

If DE is gonna screw up this bad again, it is better to not waste time with it in the first place. 

DE should really stop teasing deluxe skins if they intended to change everything and release a half baked skin instead, kinda like most of the recent content actually. Don't show the concepts and we won't be disappointed twice.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Anthraxicus said:

By half decent, I hope you meant disgusting. That skin is absolutely awful, which is why I suppose people were expecting a good skin now, not a tennogen. 

If DE is gonna screw up this bad again, it is better to not waste time with it in the first place. 

DE should really stop teasing deluxe skins if they intended to change everything and release a half baked skin instead, kinda like most of the recent content actually. Don't show the concepts and we won't be disappointed twice.

Apart from the helmet it's an entirely fine deluxe with a very enjoyable secondary special effect to it.

But again there will always be a miss at some time or another for artistically driven things if you stick around long enough and see enough pieces, just gotta move along to the next. 

• Like 1

It's a concept, not the final design. You should never be taking concepts as 100% true to what the final product will be otherwise you're guaranteed to disappoint yourself at some point.

This isn't even a new thing for this game; there have been a few times now where we got concept art for skins that ended up changed or entirely different to the final product (Loki and Banshee being the biggest examples).

Also what is with the hatred people have for Nova's original deluxe? Sure its default color pallet is trash but I honestly don't see why people dislike it as much as they do.

Edited by trst

6 hours ago, Vespilan said:

Not sure if its a lore-thing, a problem with the engine, an attempt to not make the skin as render-intensive or whatever. 

It's almost always the latter two. Lore doesn't matter; Gersemi Valkyr doesn't need any more explanation than "this is what she used to look like" and Atlas Karst is a walking rock, so lore-wise they can make whatever they want. But engine rendering is another matter, it's why they never released any of the Zephyr Deluxe models they made

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

Apart from the helmet it's an entirely fine deluxe with a very enjoyable secondary special effect to it.

But again there will always be a miss at some time or another for artistically driven things if you stick around long enough and see enough pieces, just gotta move along to the next. 

Lately, there have been a lot more misses than hits though. Equinox, Excalibur (though the skin itself is not bad, DE screwed up with the colors and some details), Octavia, Atlas, Wukong, Ivara and now Nova (I am probably missing a few).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Anthraxicus said:

Lately, there have been a lot more misses than hits though. Equinox, Excalibur (though the skin itself is not bad, DE screwed up with the colors and some details), Octavia, Atlas, Wukong, Ivara and now Nova (I am probably missing a few).

I think you may just not like deluxes. 

Edited by Cubewano
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

While I agree that it’s pretty bad thing , I can understand  it as an artist. You not always can bring concept into the life. That’s why it’s called CONCEPT 

Except good artists understand what is plausible and could work and what would not. I mean you can draw anything and call it a concept but if there is no way to realistically make it into a finished product then the artist didn't do a very good job.

9 hours ago, (PS4)Vexx757 said:

such a disappointment.

were you there for the Ember Deluxe fiasco, when IgnusDei got canned as an artist after DE insisted his Ember skin M,UST have a mohawk and he disagreed? now THAT was a disappointment, the things he could have made for the frames we have now..

still it a better skin than the Asuri IMO, I personally like her Corpra skin, I don't see others with it often but that just makes mine feel more unique. Tennogen usually ends up being more my style, but sadly it takes forever to reach consoles these days.

2 hours ago, Cubewano said:

I think you may just not like deluxes. 

Oh, I do. There are plenty of skins that I like. Frost, Ash, Nidus (amazing skin), Mag, Nyx, Nezha (my favorite by far), Harrow, Titania, Vauban, Chroma... But these ones that I mentioned before are just misses. And there are more to come. Zephyr will be another disaster. 

But, I've just seen that Pablo posted some videos of the Nova's skin and it doesn't look as bad when properly colored, but it still isn't nearly as good as the concept.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1227290372071706626

https://twitter.com/i/status/1227297270892236800

Edited by Anthraxicus
  • Like 1