Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Nyx Really Needs

(PSN)LoisGordils

Hello! 

Nyx has been one of my most used Warframes. She was the first Warframe I bought and the first Prime I obtained.

She got a rework a while back that, despite critics, was actually not that bad. However, I can see why people still think she is underwhelming. As such, I propose some additions and touch ups to her current abilities:

Passive: Nyx emits a field of telepathic energy that disrupts opponents with different effects based on the distance they are from Nyx. Starting from farthest away to closest: accuracy debuff, periodic hesitation to attack; a stun, unconsciousness if Nyx is struck by a melee attack. Additionally, Nyx keeps her allies psyche in check. Therefore, the effects of friendly fire due to Radiation are nullified while Nyx is within Affinity range.

1. Mind Control: Nyx can now permanently subdue and enemy. Previously, having the enemy expire after buffing it and having to look for another specific unit became cumbersome. And since MC will never be truly good because of the AI, Nyx can also gain buffs based on the enemy type controlled: Bombards give bonus Blast damage, Butchers give bonus melee attack, Heavy Gunners buff fire rate, etc. Recasting terminates the current enemy as it does now.

2. Psychic Bolts: I honestly like this ability. The addition I would give it is that it marks enemies. Foes that have been marked become priority number one for both your mind controlled ally and any enemy affected by Chaos.

3. Chaos: Fundamentally the same, except enemies will NEVER attack Tenno if another enemy is left standing. Additionally, Nyx gains increased critical damage against enemies afflicted with Chaos.

4. Absorb: Unpopular opinion: I love the concept of this. Sadly, it's very poorly done. My take:

a. Remove the increasing energy drain

b. Increase the range of the explosion

c. Give it an ABSORBED DAMAGE MULTIPLIER

d. Let Nyx cast her other skills while meditating

e. Aiming and firing while in Absorb instead causes Nyx to fire beams of psychic energy. Their damage is based on the amount of damage stored. However, this action drains energy.

f. Enemies affected by Chaos take double the stored damage and are stunned for a few seconds

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Hello! 

Nyx has been one of my most used Warframes. She was the first Warframe I bought and the first Prime I obtained.

She got a rework a while back that, despite critics, was actually not that bad. However, I can see why people still think she is underwhelming. As such, I propose some additions and touch ups to her current abilities:

I agree that there was some good that came with her rework (speaking as a fellow Nyx enthusiast,) but I don't think it outweighed what she lost.  Which is really the crux of the complaints imo.  Even if she gained viability in other areas it doesn't match what she had before.  This is also due to the game's current changing design basically out pacing older frames.

Passive: Nyx emits a field of telepathic energy that disrupts opponents with different effects based on the distance they are from Nyx. Starting from farthest away to closest: accuracy debuff, periodic hesitation to attack; a stun, unconsciousness if Nyx is struck by a melee attack. Additionally, Nyx keeps her allies psyche in check. Therefore, the effects of friendly fire due to Radiation are nullified while Nyx is within Affinity range.

Accuracy debuffs are not great as you cannot tell if it's actually helping you.  And some enemies do not have an accuracy stat and therefore are not effected by said debuffs.  A stun that's constant in an aoe around her is interesting.  If nyx is hit in higher content she's likely dead so the melee idea likely wouldn't work.  Nullifying rad procs for her and her team is niche but interesting.

1. Mind Control: Nyx can now permanently subdue and enemy. Previously, having the enemy expire after buffing it and having to look for another specific unit became cumbersome. And since MC will never be truly good because of the AI, Nyx can also gain buffs based on the enemy type controlled: Bombards give bonus Blast damage, Butchers give bonus melee attack, Heavy Gunners buff fire rate, etc. Recasting terminates the current enemy as it does now.

Removing the duration is nice I guess.  But wouldn't be much of a buff overall.  And pass.  I'd rather not have another Titania tribute situation.

2. Psychic Bolts: I honestly like this ability. The addition I would give it is that it marks enemies. Foes that have been marked become priority number one for both your mind controlled ally and any enemy affected by Chaos.

The problem with this idea is that we have no control over where the bolts go.  So we couldn't accurately mark HvT's consistently.  Really the debuffs they added are good enough.  We just need to also tack on the idea that killing bolt effected enemies spreads the effect.  That increases the value of her debuffs considerably since we can't increase the number of bolts we throw.  We could even retrofit the current augment to also rad proc for her old style of spam bolts to cc can be a style again.

3. Chaos: Fundamentally the same, except enemies will NEVER attack Tenno if another enemy is left standing. Additionally, Nyx gains increased critical damage against enemies afflicted with Chaos.

If chaos were to be effected in anyway I'd really like chaosed enemies to damage other enemies under the effects of nyx's abilities more.  Conversely if Mind control remained it should do increased damage to chaosed targets.

4. Absorb: Unpopular opinion: I love the concept of this. Sadly, it's very poorly done. My take:

My problem is that it's being pushed as a nuke ability.  I'd much rather it be some way to be a utility/defensive ability.

Should also remove the increase energy drained from allies firing in it too.

Would have to make sure LoS isn't needed for it.

Or just have it do true damage if we're really going all in on giving her a nuke ability.

That's the whole reason to use it's augment.  And even then that doesn't give value to the ability.

e. Aiming and firing while in Absorb instead causes Nyx to fire beams of psychic energy. Their damage is based on the amount of damage stored. However, this action drains energy.

Thematically interesting.  But it feels under polished.  At this point you're turning absorb into a state rather than a standard ability.  I'd much rather exalted weapons become a state and scrap absorb for something else entirely rather than this.

f. Enemies affected by Chaos take double the stored damage and are stunned for a few seconds

Overall some interesting ideas.  But not really my cup of tea.

49 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

A rework that fails to actually improve the overall performance of the frame and keeps them just as irrelevant as they were is a bad rework.

Then by all means delight me with your ideas. Since I always see you criticize other posts, but never actually see you contribute anything of substance ☺️

On 2020-02-12 at 9:56 AM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

change Chaos to enemy become friendly towards tenno, pets and targets, for its duration, if no enemy its visible, enemy wont go hostile and ignore player/defense target.

3 hours ago, prodi1600 said:

change Chaos to enemy become friendly towards tenno, pets and targets, for its duration, if no enemy its visible, enemy wont go hostile and ignore player/defense target.

No. Then Mind Control becomes redundant. Which is exactly the problem Trinity has with Well Of Life and Blessing. 

12 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Aha and...? Still no substance, nor ideas. Elaborate on how your ideal Nyx would be

Blades made of psychic energy idk.

IDK why you’re accusing me of never providing anything off of criticism. I’ve brought up my ideas for Revenants rework every so often here.

I’ve also explained how DE can make Reactive Storm actually worth using.

I’ve provided meaningful criticism in the past. Not my fault that we don’t go on the same threads.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

Just now, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Blades made of psychic energy idk.

Exalted Blade? -_-

1 minute ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

IDK why you’re accusing me of never providing anything off of criticism. I’ve brought up my ideas for Revenants rework every so often here.

I must've missed it, then. I do see you in every Revenant thread going about how awful he is (which I totally agree)

В 12.02.2020 в 17:56, (PS4)LoisGordils сказал:

Hello! 

I do like all the ideas: those stick to the OG concept, not demanding dramatic complete overhaul. Seriously, if Nyx gets extra debuffing capabilities she can accentuate gunplay better just as Bandhee/Nova do.

The only thing you gotta be reluctant is endless mind control. Unkillable enemy during that could be abused for griefing, which is sadly a prominent trend of this toxic community.

My gripes about Nyx

1. You can only have 1 mind control target and Mind Controlled enemies deals miniscule damage even after stacking damage multipliers and they are easy to be staggered (the stagger part hurts their performance significantly because it gives them less time to shoot). 

2. Recasting psychic bolt removes existing debuffs. So if I cast group 1 and then recast it on group 2. I will lose the debuff on group 1. Which is pretty annoying.

3. Absorb.. where do I start. Low range, so I can’t use it to reliably demolish a group of scattered enemies. Low damage, who though it’s amazing to put a measly 0.03% Damage conversion? While other frames get 7.5x multipliers as base (looking at you Wukong)! I can’t move at all during the ability, which is pretty bad for a lot of mission types that isn’t defense or mobile defense. The thing I hate about the ability the most.. Nyx’s animation when exploding the bubble is VERY SLOW and she doesn’t get any invincibility during the animation. Which leaves her very vulnerable. I can’t count how many times I died when I let go of absorb.

This would work. 

I'd personally like to see something somewhat different, but that's detail. 

What Nyx fundamentally needs is more survivability, less clunk, and support for higher damage output for something. What isn't important, just something. 

I'd prefer her not being a dedicated pet class, more buff/debuff interaction with her abilities, and a passive that works to her advantage in a predictable fashion. Her CC should be of a harder nature, considering where the game is right now. 

That's what she needs. 

9 hours ago, Miyabi-sama said:

The only thing you gotta be reluctant is endless mind control. Unkillable enemy during that could be abused for griefing, which is sadly a prominent trend of this toxic community.

Yeah.  Although I'm curious if it is actually  the temporary state of converted targets--the fact they can go back to enemy status--that has made this hard to fix on DE's end.

Generally speaking, I like the ideas presented, presenting some synergy. Thoughts...

Passive: Potentially too much there, but trim it down: Enemy melee attacks on Nyx are subject to a X second hesitation/delay (or slowed by X%) to allow for retaliation/evasion.  And keep the effect of nullifying friendly fire radiation effect (discriminatory status protection, I like it).  

1. Mind Control: Good ideas, very titania like, maybe make it Faction specific defensive buffs (since she lacks) to separate her.  Grineer, +X base armor (not a X% increase, additive to base armor stats instead so that it can then be modified by equipped mods).  Corpus, +base shields and increase recharge rate.  Infected, +base health with some regen.  Sentient...uh, can they be mind controlled (small buff to all 3 areas if they can)?  Corrupted, depends on the unit's base model.  Would also allow for different loadout builds to the frame's mod set-up depending on where you are going  

2. Psychic Bolts: Was hoping for the mark/targeting change when the rework first came out.  Making those units priorities good, I like it.  Can also have those hit by bolts take increased damage from Mind Control and Chaos affected enemies.    

3. Chaos: Maybe keep the chance they'll attack Tenno, otherwise it's just a hard CC lock-down with no downside.  I like the crit damage buff, definitely.

4. Absorb: I like your concept, and would love to see it in action  

• Like 2

If you fix her passive to just make it so allies don't become confused/deal friendly fire and get rid of the other portion of it, realize nobody likes random buffs based on enemy affected by Mind Control (regardless of what they might say here), and remove the bullS#&$ OP suggestion for Chaos making it so enemies never target players, you've got a really solid direction to your rework.

I really like this but I have some thoughts too because all she needs is survabilty so what if  her 1st would work like nekros 4 augment? A line would be between the 2 and the mob would take x% of the damage nyx takes(not affected by power str)
as much as I would like that enemies affected with chaos cannot attack players it should not be done because you effect whole rooms so you just broke the game, maybe a damage reduce aginst players bye 50% or something would be better
absorb and 2nd ability should not care about power str at all or maybe 2nd should transfer the taken armor to the player, and maybe it shuold get rid off shields too idk