Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Can't Convince My Friends To Keep Playing Warframe

Draknar986

Greetings!

I started playing Warframe with a few friends of mine, but within 3 days all of them besides me have decided to quit playing.

Since forums for suggestions tend to usually be from players that *still* think it's worth playing overall, I thought it would be nice to give a voice from those that decided it was *not* worth playing...whether I agree with them or not.

So here we go, in no particular order:

1) Revive Timer too short.  We've played other co-op games where trying to revive a fallen comrade is a fairly epic and awesome feeling.  Blasting all surrounding enemies or creating a protective force-field around them is a great sensation.  Anyone who has played FireFall knows what I'm talking about.  However, in this game, the revive timer is so short, and you have to put yourself in such a precarious situation, it's usually best to just let the person die.  What's worse, is it looks like a blatant attempt to suck Platinum out of the players to buy revive tokens.  Either significantly increase the death timer, or allow Credit-purchased revive tokens.

2) Clunky Revive interface promotes bugs - Having to be in the perfect spot to revive is too clunky, especially for a fast-paced fire-fight with knock-backs.  Even worse, I've had someone dieing in a corner, and even though I clearly saw "Press X to Revive" over them, it never registered.  Increasing the revive radius would help with this, and may even be a good idea to instantly have the timer "reset" if an attempt is made in case the reviver gets knocked back before finishing. 

3)  Enemy Difficulty Scaling - I saw lots of people are talking about this already, but it's one of the reasons a couple of my friends flat-out rage-quit.   Fighting Vay Hek on Earth with level 20 weapons (without good mods), and not doing ANY damage, only to have his shields instantly replenish with 4 people shooting at him is just ridiculous.  Either lower their difficulty or give weapons a base damage increase FROM LEVELS, NOT just from mods.  

4) Random Drop Rates without non-platinum alternative - The random drop rates are insane.  I've killed Vay Hek maybe 50 times, and gotten 4 sets of Trinity Systems, and 2 sets of Trinity Helmets.  Not a single chassis.  Now luckily I'm not actually farming for the Trinity set but instead some Neurodes, but when I realized that's why people are farming it I was very disappointed in the terrible random drop system.  Especially when I've been trying to farm for ONE "serration" so my level 25 weapon will actually do some bloody damage.  I don't care if it takes 6 hours of credit farming, let me somehow convert credits into EXACTLY what I want.  Otherwise it's a blatant attempt to steal money from players (and I ALREADY give money!) 

5) Finally, and this is why my buddies and myself are sore so easily from the long-farm-duration of the game, it feels very much like Planetside 2 FTP.  In other words, it's not "exactly" Pay-To-Win, but it feels so much like banging your head against the wall without progress that it's such an underhanded way of squeezing cash out of the players.  In PS 2 I spent close to $300, and I STILL felt like they needed more money from me.  That's ridiculous.  I happily pay $15 a month for Final Fantasy 14, even though my much-desired PvP isn't implemented yet, just because I want to support a NON-FTP system that offers a terrible game to their broke players.  All my buddies who are broke players suffer horribly for it trying to play these games with me.

And final note - As I mentioned I spent $300 for PS 2, I'm pretty bad about over-spending money on games.  But guess what happens when they all decide to play something else?  I'm going to go there with them, and probably drop this game.  Designing a game specifically for whalers doesn't work if the whalers go play games with their broke friends.  

Thanks for making it to the end of this terribly wrong and horribly written post lol.

1. It can actually be rather nerve-racking, especially when you are surrounded by enemies and you only have one other ally to defend you. Also, an energy barrier while reviving already exists, in the form of Sanctuary.

2. It is indeed annoying and has ended in my allies dying because the x button wouldn't show up.

3. Known about, nothing new.

4. As Hayden said, RNG can be a *****.

5.I haven't spent a dime on this game and at some point had over 90 platinum free, because of promotions the kind people on the forums tell people about.

Also, nobody needs to spend money to make progress here. It just makes it a bit faster.

And yes, the cash shop is ridiculously priced.

TL;DR:

1+2= Reviving Is Wonky

3= Enemies too tough for beginners.

4=RNG

5=My friends feel the need to buy platinum, but everything costs too much.

Overall, Reviving is bad, Enemies ARE too tough, RNG IS a _____, but you don't HAVE to buy platinum.

Uh, you kinda sorta do have to buy platinum -- 3 warframe slots and 12 weapon slots are HORRIBLY inadequate. I just don't get how anyone really has much success in Warframe with such a measly small inventory of weapons/frames.

Edited by Xylia

1. The revive timer is fine, you need to be quick on your feet to save your comrade as he starts dying.

You need to put it all on the line to save him.

If you don't then, well I wouldn't want you on my team...

2. The one thing I actually agree with.

The revive hit boxes are weird as hell.

3. Make it easy?!? This game is already so easy many people can solo the hardest possible defense mission without batting an eye!

You need to put more effort into playing this game, or else you'll never be strong.

4. It's all random, but the drop rates are fine.

All the drop rates are equal for each Trinity part.

You're just unlucky.

You can't blame the game for that.

It's no fault in the games coding.

Also, of you go looking for Serration, chances are you're not going to find it.

Warframe is a game that takes TIME AND EFFORT.

You need to put everything you have into playing it, or else you'll never get anywhere near where you need to be.

I've spent 300+ hours into Warframe, and I'm still at Neptune.

But you know what?

This game is really damn good.

5. I'm a master founder, but not one piece of my platinum was spent on actual weapons, mods or warframes.

It was all blown in the dojo.

I build everything I own.

You need to have atleast some resilience, and you can't expect to be great at the game as soon as you start playing it.

If that's the game you're looking for, go play a different shooter, such as Battlefield.

If grinding in this game feels like needless head banging, you're playing the wrong game.

Sorry to break it to you.

By the way, PVP is already implemented.

3. Make it easy?!? This game is already so easy many people can solo the hardest possible defense mission without batting an eye!
You need to put more effort into playing this game, or else you'll never be strong.

It is easy for veterans, but rough as all Hell on Newbies.

You have Serration, Hornet Strike, etc.

Newbies don't.

Try taking 3 unranked newbie weapons and a non-Loki Starter Frame with only powers and Vitality to Earth and then come back and say about how "Easy" the game is. Because that's what newbies essentially have on Earth. I say Non-Loki, because yes yes yes, veterans can kill anything with a Loki if done right. Newbies won't know how to do this, however.

Uh, you kinda sorta do have to buy platinum -- 3 warframe slots and 12 weapon slots are HORRIBLY inadequate. I just don't get how anyone really has much success in Warframe with such a measly small inventory of weapons/frames.

You can use one Warframe at a time, and 3 weapons at a time.

I don't see the issue here.

I managed. I ****ed up my starter 50 plat, so only had the 2 frame slots and the 10 weapons slots.

Started with loki, farmed me a Banshee, replaced loki with trinity after a while.

you don't NEED a lot of stuff, if you have a decent set of weapons plus a frame you like, you can do a lot.

But how warframe is right now, simply doesn't attract certain kind of players.

TL;DR:

1+2= Reviving Is Wonky

3= Enemies too tough for beginners.

4=RNG

5=My friends feel the need to buy platinum, but everything costs too much.

Overall, Reviving is bad, Enemies ARE too tough, RNG IS a _____, but you don't HAVE to buy platinum.

Yeah you dont HAVE too.. but playing without it is JUST SOO HARD.. I mean it makes it hard to keep interest.. Having other ways to get plat would be cool.. like 2 plat a day.. or a week or something

Yeah you dont HAVE too.. but playing without it is JUST SOO HARD.. I mean it makes it hard to keep interest.. Having other ways to get plat would be cool.. like 2 plat a day.. or a week or something

Trading for platinum.

This is what I've been trying to drill in DE's heads for quite a while.

I agree with Timer issue of revival and the small radius it has. Everything else is good in this game. I got 5 warframe slots right (using mag and nekros). Got the same set of slots for weapons when  I first started out and I got 4 sentinels (dethcube, shade, wrym, dejin). I am very statisfied with how I have played this game. All this without paying any platinums. I got 100 plats from the Devs or events. That's abt it.

Call ur friends back and tell em to do the drum contest (not sure if its still on). 8 members can participate and the Top 5 teams that win get 1000platinums. Never hurts hope right :)

have fun........

I managed. I ****ed up my starter 50 plat, so only had the 2 frame slots and the 10 weapons slots.

Started with loki, farmed me a Banshee, replaced loki with trinity after a while.

you don't NEED a lot of stuff, if you have a decent set of weapons plus a frame you like, you can do a lot.

But how warframe is right now, simply doesn't attract certain kind of players.

That's BS. The way this game currently works, you need a lot of frames and a lot of weapons leveled to get a Mastery rank to get even more weapons. And then the 2 frames slots and 10 weapons slots fall woefully short.

Yes, you could sell the weapons after you've leveled them, but some weapons are situational and you might want to keep them laying around... Just in case. And with all the balance changes in each patch, you REALLY don't want to sell your frames. Remember the Rhino? Yeah, that was pretty much the worst frame in the game, up until patch 8 or 9 when all of a sudden, it was godly and still is. Would really suck to have farmed it, leveled it and then sold it to make room for more frames, only to have to do it all over again, if a patch changes it. Not to mention that you're going to need a new reactor as well. 

That said:

1: Timer is alright. It's short to motivate people to stick together, instead of running all over the place

2: Yes, it's very buggy and annoying to use. Should be changed/fixed

3: Yup, they're too tough.

4: RNG is annoying. Maybe a hybrid token system like Blizzard uses for WoW would work? Some things for tokens, others are drops?

5: And I've said alot on this already, but there's more.

If you buy Weapons, Frames or Sentinels for plat, you're not thinking straight. It's hopelessly stupid to do so and it's completely unnecessary. But reactors, catalysts, weapon/frame slots are pretty much mandatory. I said pretty much. You COULD perceivably get by without buying these things, but it would be a major inconvenience and I wouldn't blame anyone for quitting out of sheer frustration. 

But DE needs to put food on the table as well. These are items that I perceive as necessary are cheap. Very cheap. If you spend $30 on this game and you would be good for a very long time. You could even wait for one of the discounts (up to 75%) and spend even less and getting more for it.

Warframe failed to keep my friend's interest for a couple reasons.

One figured out that he was only grinding weapons to keep grinding weapons, and after asking me if "there was any point" he quit playing.

Point probably is - Grinding to grind to grind get's old when it's all there is to do and the only thing to use your super-omega-weapons on are maps you've seen before but with escalating difficulty. AND it turns out this difficulty is mostly an inflation of stats over any sort of complexity, as the AI - I feel - has a long way to go.

The second friend got frustrated at being limited/tempted by Platinum.

Warframe and weapon slots, as well as Potatos only dropping from alerts, frustrated him enough to quit.

My friend won't play due to the fact there is nothing to do.

The third or so mission he noticed the same tileset was used, he quit.

The other friend started when Mag's pull was god mode, and he got tired of facetanking everything with no effort.

The other one had a hard time using Loki, and due to the tutorial lacking the info of how to mod, he never understood, and quit.

I doubt anyone would quit from RNG, considering they make it that far. It's not like by the time you kill Vor you realize "THIS USES RNG"

low level starting players = game is challenging, borderline difficult

high level players = game is boring easy breezy cakewalk

revive mechanic is very glitchy, needs work

RNG is both good/bad, depends on how you see it and how much of a whiny *@##$ you are

i played 300+ hrs b4 i dropped $ on WF and bought founder support, srsly i got my money's worth a long time BEFORE i ever spent anything, and me personally, i didnt go GM and im still plenty happy with plat to spare

the world is what you make of it

but i feel ya OP, DE needs to realize that Warframe does not having enough currently to retain a longtime playerbase, and can quickly turn off some newbies as well

I feel you totally. There's not a long time reason to play here and its really annoying. Newbies are faced with this big wall of things to do before they can be badass, yet once they are there's nothing to do with it. It's the big core problem with the game and it hasn't been addressed yet.

4. It's all random, but the drop rates are fine.

All the drop rates are equal for each Trinity part.

You're just unlucky.

You can't blame the game for that.

It's no fault in the games coding.

Also, of you go looking for Serration, chances are you're not going to find it.

Warframe is a game that takes TIME AND EFFORT.

You need to put everything you have into playing it, or else you'll never get anywhere near where you need to be.

I've spent 300+ hours into Warframe, and I'm still at Neptune.

But you know what?

This game is really damn good.

Being unlucky isnt his fault, its the game's fault for punishing him so hard for it. Serration ? He will witness the true brutality of RNG when he will start looking for Rage, Quick Thinking, Berserker etc.. Serration is easy to find.

Warframe is a game which takes just TIME.

300+ hrs and still at Neptune ? lolwat ?

Game is really damn good ? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is certain that YOU find it good. Cannot be a universal truth just because of that.

Edited by rksk16it

300+ hrs and still at Neptune ? lolwat ?

Not everybody has awesome luck/mad skills.

I've done a couple Pluto missions myself, but I generally avoid the place. I also don't muck around in Sedna much either, nor Phobos once I got my Miter and Twin Gremlins. Why? I hate high-level Grineer. There is nothing fun about fighting Grineer when everything is either hitscan, knockdown, stagger, stun, or highly armored or any combination thereof.

I'm about 400 hours and I have no intentions of touching Pluto unless I really have to. Eris? Eh, I'll do Xini and Cyath. Otherwise, there's nothing there I need. Sedna? Meh. No thanks, I'll pass. Ceres? *Shrugs* nothing I need there.

EDIT: Perhaps there's something that can be said when where you go boils down to:

1). What level is it?

2). What mission type is it?

3). What resources drop there (if you even care)?

4). What faction is it?

And......that's it. If I want to level crap in a solo mission, I'm probably going to go to Europa if I can handle it. If not, then probably Mars because Shockwave Moas are awesome XP and easy to kill, and Corpus Ships have lots of credits in them.

If I need a material, I'll take an infested mission, hopefully Capture or Sabotage, on a planet that drops what I need.

Otherwise.... one planet is the same as any other.

Edited by Xylia

Not everybody has awesome luck/mad skills.

Awesome luck will definitely help you in warframe, mad skills probably wont.

Yes you can have some knowlege of game mechanics which you can call skill, like ragdoll from vortex/pull and then insta killing level 500 with torid/ignis/ogirs, but its not really "gameplay skill". You may call it "bug finding and exploitation skill".

Most of the gameplay time in this game is artificial, just spent around farming, killing easy stuff. Real gameplay time is when you are actually enjoying whatever you find fun. Some find farming/grinding is fun. Some like killing low level enemies with insta aoe as fun. Some like shooting bullet sponges hanging helplessly in Vauban's Vortex as fun. But I guess you have noticed that usually a player spends lots of time playing this game doing something which is not *fun* for him. Exceptions can be there though.

1+2: I agree. Reviving is about 80% of where it should be... still kind of unreliable.

3. enemies are NOT too hard. they are too hard when you go up against enemies that you are not yet ready for. the solution for your squishyness is not to nerf the enemies or buff your mediocre weapons. rather, get buffer and get better guns. or, team up with some buff guys/girls and put up with the indignity of having to be revived a few times a mission. it's not forever and if you use your head you can contribute a lot to the team in spite of your flimsy build.

4. RNG is RNG. yes, you DO have to play a lot. but rather than chasing after certain items or mods just PLAY THE GAME. Have fun. kill things. be a ninja. I haven't chased anything in my hundreds of hours. there are still a few things I dont have (orthos prime blade, i hate you). but I don't sweat it. it'll come eventually. 

5. you can play quite well for free. but if you want variety, cosmetics, lots of potatoes.... then you have to pay. IT"S NOT TOO MUCH MONEY. 20 plat is about $1. that's not too much. Devs gotta eat too. If you're a kid, do chores for money. mow lawns. fix other people's computers. 

if you're an adult with a job.... quit playing warframe and go back to school so you can make enough money that $1 won't make you lose sleep at night.

5. you can play quite well for free. but if you want variety, cosmetics, lots of potatoes.... then you have to pay. IT"S NOT TOO MUCH MONEY. 20 plat is about $1. that's not too much. Devs gotta eat too. If you're a kid, do chores for money. mow lawns. fix other people's computers. 

if you're an adult with a job.... quit playing warframe and go back to school so you can make enough money that $1 won't make you lose sleep at night.

I don't think the complaint is "I feel like I must spend money." I think the real complaint is "These prices are bullS#&$." Everything except for the potatoes, slots, and forma is overpriced. For cosmetics, that's fine. For frames/weapons, that's not so fine.

Why would you pay for a frame that you can have fun while farming for?  I'd only be annoyed by frame prices if they were locked completely behind a paywall or if the grind were really excessive.  As it stands, I've farmed every regular frame except Excalibur (because I got Excal Prime and I'm being lazy about regular Excal), and it didn't really take that long.

And if you're paying for Forma, you're making the Baby RNGeezus cry...unless you're like..super gung-ho about building the Dojo for your Ghost clan or something.