Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Progression is hard

Occoldist

Question

I started a week ago. So far I've gotten to planets Earth - Venus - Mercury - Mars - Phobos - Void - Ceres - Jupiter - Europa

I got my Rhino 2 days ago, and progression just got real difficult

I keep dying, despite using the Rhino's abilities, idk what to mod, all I have on frame is Vitality, Redirection, Physique and Steel Fiber

Worst yet, I deal no damage at all. Sometimes I'm swarmed by enemies and have to use all revives to have a chance to complete a mission, Excavation missions are near impossible, etc

I don't know what I should do next. Could I get advice on mods, how to level my gear efficiently, playstyle, etc etc? Game seems really hard to play now without playing in a squad, which is quite rare.

I started a week ago. So far I've gotten to planets Earth - Venus - Mercury - Mars - Phobos - Void - Ceres - Jupiter - Europa

I got my Rhino 2 days ago, and progression just got real difficult

I keep dying, despite using the Rhino's abilities, idk what to mod, all I have on frame is Vitality, Redirection, Physique and Steel Fiber

Worst yet, I deal no damage at all. Sometimes I'm swarmed by enemies and have to use all revives to have a chance to complete a mission, Excavation missions are near impossible, etc

I don't know what I should do next. Could I get advice on mods, how to level my gear efficiently, playstyle, etc etc? Game seems really hard to play now without playing in a squad.

Edited by Occoldist

Join a helpful clan (we have room).

Don't use shield mods, they're not worth it. Health and armor is much more important.

Since you mentioned Rhino, keep a good eye on your iron skin and recast when needed.

For weapons, don't use IPS (impact, puncture, slash) mods. When in doubt, build for corrosive (elec / tox) as it permanently strips enemy armor (it has no status duration).

And get ready for a whole load of comments here of info that is useless to you because you don't have the resources etc required 🙂

Edited by -AxHx-Vile

1 minute ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

Join a helpful clan (we have room).

Don't use shield mods, they're not worth it. Health and armor is much more important.

Since you mentioned Rhino, keep a good eye on your iron skin and recast when needed.

For weapons, don't use IPS (impact, puncture, slash) mods. When in doubt, build for corrosive (elec / tox) as it permanently strips enemy armor (it has no status duration).

And get ready for a whole load of comments here of info that is useless to you because you don't have the resources etc required 🙂

So wait, I have a higher total hp with Redirection though, 700 shields and 500 life, so why not? I have room for a Steel Fiber anyway

Also yes I already have elec + tox on rifle + weapon but they still deal no damage, (probably because I took Serration and Pressure Point out), is it because of my weapon? I'm currently using a rank 13 Ankyros

Just now, Occoldist said:

So wait, I have a higher total hp with Redirection though, 700 shields and 500 life, so why not? I have room for a Steel Fiber anyway

Also yes I already have elec + tox on rifle + weapon but they still deal no damage, (probably because I took Serration and Pressure Point out), is it because of my weapon? I'm currently using a rank 13 Ankyros

Because the slot that redirection is in is best used for other mods to improve your abilities. There are also damage procs that remove your shield or just ignore it. 

Why did you take out Serration and PP? Because of mod capacity I guess? Is there a "potato" (catalyst) on the weapon? It doubles your mod capacity. It's a bit hard to earn them as a new player, though if you have some relics you can get the primes from them and sell them for plat, then buy a catalyst (20p in the market). It'll help a lot, but as a new player I'd recommend only putting them on weapons you really enjoy. (And save some plat for weapon/frame slots, you'll be using a lot of them)

Just now, -AxHx-Vile said:

Because the slot that redirection is in is best used for other mods to improve your abilities. There are also damage procs that remove your shield or just ignore it. 

Why did you take out Serration and PP? Because of mod capacity I guess? Is there a "potato" (catalyst) on the weapon? It doubles your mod capacity. It's a bit hard to earn them as a new player, though if you have some relics you can get the primes from them and sell them for plat, then buy a catalyst (20p in the market). It'll help a lot, but as a new player I'd recommend only putting them on weapons you really enjoy. (And save some plat for weapon/frame slots, you'll be using a lot of them)

Yesterday I spent all my plat (6 remaining) on a warframe slot + 2 weapon slots. I'm currently making a blue potato but I do have an Equinox Prime Chassis, idk how much that goes for though

3 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

And besides, I'm still in the early game so I think I'll think about my endgame weapon first before spending plat or slapping a blue potato (which takes a day to make) on it

1 minute ago, Occoldist said:

Yesterday I spent all my plat (6 remaining) on a warframe slot + 2 weapon slots. I'm currently making a blue potato but I do have an Equinox Prime Chassis, idk how much that goes for though

A good clan / good friends can help you make a good amount of plat relatively easily. 

You can check prices and make trading more convenient through https://warframe.market/

Just now, Occoldist said:

And besides, I'm still in the early game so I think I'll think about my endgame weapon first before spending plat or slapping a blue potato (which takes a day to make) on it

You're very far from making endgame loadout choices atm. Choose some weapons you like now so you can clear the starchart with some stuff you'll enjoy. Then you can start earning plat and potatoes more easily and not have to worry much about which to spend on what 🙂

2 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

You're very far from making endgame loadout choices atm. Choose some weapons you like now so you can clear the starchart with some stuff you'll enjoy. Then you can start earning plat and potatoes more easily and not have to worry much about which to spend on what 🙂

Wouldn't I have to keep switching through weapons though? To get mastery points so I can get higher mastery ranks

Also could I join your clan? If thats fine with you.

Go join a syndicate so you can do some extra jobs and earn some more mods.

Do Cetus bounties to get the mods they randomly offer and make Zaws.

Do Fortuna bounties to get standing to make kit guns.

Buy blueprints from the market to make better weapons.

Do relic runs for Prime frames and weapons.

Try doing the void puzzle vaults for mods.

Farm endo to boost all those mods.

Trade Prime parts for ducats at the relay for when Barrow comes. You can pick up some nice mods there if RNG is with you.

Do Simaris targets to gain mods for your sentinel.

If you have Limbo then do Orokin derelict with dragon keys.

If you have done up to the War Within Quest then take your Limbo for a spin there for extra affinity.

Never power through the game. Take your time.

You will also need to forma your frames and mods a few times to get the best out of them.

You still have so much to be doing hun.

You'll get there.

If your struggling with affinity then ask for help in recruitment chat.

Good luck Tenno! 😁💖

7 minutes ago, Occoldist said:

Wouldn't I have to keep switching through weapons though? To get mastery points so I can get higher mastery ranks

Also could I join your clan? If thats fine with you.

Yes and no. You can clear the starchart with the same gear, then go for new gear afterwards. Or explore some gear while you're progressig through the starchart to at least find out if you like the way it works. In the mean time you can probably get your hands on a few catalysts anyway, through nightwave (also keep an eye on invasions, they will have them sometimes as well).

I'm not at my pc atm but I'll have one of my admins invite you and I'll pm you our discord.

If you have streamline and intensify they will buff and increase your warframe powers. Flow will give you more energy for your powers.

If you have any weapons that have aoe (or a melee weapon) they can help stop you getting mobbed. Also using elemental combos for the enemies you're fighting goes a long way, even with early weapons.

OP can't even get past Saturn...advises to go to derelict, lua, fortuna bounties...
Pls. try to read the whole post before suggesting things to do. OP wanted to know how to increase their damage and even stated that they have a hard time finding a squad (so going solo is probably their only option for now).
Also, this is a double thread, the other one has a more helpful reply: 

3 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

Yes and no. You can clear the starchart with the same gear, then go for new gear afterwards. Or explore some gear while you're progressig through the starchart to at least find out if you like the way it works. In the mean time you can probably get your hands on a few catalysts anyway, through nightwave (also keep an eye on invasions, they will have them sometimes as well).

I'm not at my pc atm but I'll have one of my admins invite you and I'll pm you our discord.

Ah alright. Thanks for that!

Currently I finished leveling Fragor and Skana. I'm trying out Fist weapons next, then probably a Tonfa

Yes I did read the whole post.

They have been future proofed.

Anyway, I did Foruna before Cetus and Archwing.

And they can piggy back to parts of the starchart by other Tenno as well.

Especially if they join a clan with helpful members.

You can play the game in any way you want and any order.

There is a guy who is MR 0 and mastered the starchart.

Just do what makes you happy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yxivi said:

OP can't even get past Saturn...advises to go to derelict, lua, fortuna bounties...
Pls. try to read the whole post before suggesting things to do. OP wanted to know how to increase their damage and even stated that they have a hard time finding a squad (so going solo is probably their only option for now).
Also, this is a double thread, the other one has a more helpful reply: 

We did, hence the wealth of info we gave. There's no set way of making progression in game y'know.

51 minutes ago, Butterfly85 said:

If you have streamline and intensify they will buff and increase your warframe powers. Flow will give you more energy for your powers.

If you have any weapons that have aoe (or a melee weapon) they can help stop you getting mobbed. Also using elemental combos for the enemies you're fighting goes a long way, even with early weapons.

Oh, I'm using Ankyros after maxing out Fragor. Maybe because its the low range and how it focuses on single targets only which makes it bad for excavation missions?

• Like 1

I'm not saying the posts aren't good, they are just not really helpful for OP at the moment. They don't have access to those planets so what are they gonna do with that info?

There's a lot of things to do in the game as a beginner and I really wish the game will be more beginner-friendly by slowly guiding the player until they complete the star chart rather than just leaving them out in the open. Listing every option they can do to progress might be helpful but it can also just end up overloading the beginner with information. I didn't understand the whole syndicate enemy-ally system until I actually have my syndicates and it was so confusing just reading how to manage it. *Sigh*
Zaw, kit gun, dragon key, void puzzle...those are new words for beginners and this might just add more question to their head than clear up the thing that's confusing them right now (which is how to deal more damage past Europa). I hope that clears up my intention in my previous post.

9 minutes ago, Occoldist said:

Oh, I'm using Ankyros after maxing out Fragor. Maybe because its the low range and how it focuses on single targets only which makes it bad for excavation missions?

To be fair later game excavation is rough anyway, unless you can hard cc enemies to stop them rushing the excavators.

That said, you don't have to clear every node in a planet right away. Me and my missues just did what was needed to unlock each planet and then came back to the nastier missions later on when we had better gear and frames. 😊

2 minutes ago, Butterfly85 said:

To be fair later game excavation is rough anyway, unless you can hard cc enemies to stop them rushing the excavators.

That said, you don't have to clear every node in a planet right away. Me and my missues just did what was needed to unlock each planet and then came back to the nastier missions later on when we had better gear and frames. 😊

Ah, alright. Thought I can just do em now so I don't have to do em later, its what I did to all the other planets after all 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

you can probably get your hands on a few catalysts anyway, through nightwave

Definitely this, some of the Nightwave stuff is trivial for most weapons, so potatoes are easier to come by.

I recommend finding a setup that fits your playstyle. Back in the day mine was Latron and Tiberon (which were by all accounts garbage then, but I brute forced my few Forma to "make them good"). Once you get a setup that fits, Survivals are a good way to get mods and Relics to stockpile for later.

Also, take advantage of your new clan's experience, they'll be able to give more specific advice on things. Oh, and clan tech weapons and warframes are a nice added bonus there.

4 hours ago, Occoldist said:

Ah, alright. Thought I can just do em now so I don't have to do em later, its what I did to all the other planets after all 🙂

It's actually pretty good advice - the straightest path 'through' a planet often contains the lowest level missions on it. I've gotten all the way through the chart and yet still haven't finished every node on every planet (primarily because I'm mainly a solo player and I can't guarantee I'll get a full group if I start a disruption or interception mission).

I've gone back and done quite an few later and the key there seems to have been to run Syndicate/Relic missions or the occasional event because that will often change the mission type on a node, and also give you a better chance of getting a group together.

There's only a couple of junctions that actually require a certain MR level (by requiring a crafting step or mission completion) but you'll likely get to that level without even trying.