Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Homing Arrow Mod for Bows/Crossbows?

Duality52

Seeing how most Bows are not only hard to use against crowds, but how they're also slow at it, I can't help but look back to Nuclear Throne, a rogue-like that features an upgrade called Bone Marrow.

This mutation (upgrade) allows Arrows and other related projectiles to change directions towards an enemy close to the said projectile, which allows the projectile to zig-zag its way around a group of enemies.

For this mod, the arrow would home into an enemy in a certain radius, up to 10 meters to change its direction. This would be maintained until the arrow runs out of punch-through or there are no targets left. Getting the arrows to headshot consistently is a different story, similar to how Ash's Shurikens are rather difficult to headshot enemies with as well.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

i'm not going to be against it, but this would be almost completely sacrificing the Punch-Through benefits of most Bow type Weapons, which the extra Ammo expenditure may be within expectations, but for the 'normal' Bows, you're liable to have Ammo issues if Arrows Kill so few Enemies.

but, as a Mod, uh, okay if you really want it why not.

I think it'd be cool to have a homing mod that makes them home a little bit, like they can veer and hit targets within a short distance from the crosshair, but maybe not directly targeting every enemy in a radius like Yondu from Guardians of the Galaxy. That sounds like a recipe for a boring meta where bows are better than everything else because they wipe rooms for free. Bows have some of the highest per-shot damage in the game so they need to be at least partially balanced by the number of targets they can hit in a timeframe.

That said, having a single weapon that bounces a projectile between enemies, ie not just a bouncy bullet, could be pretty fun just for the spectacle.

I played a lot to Kid Icarus Uprising, and in this game, most of the weapon have homing. (the trajectory of the shots deviate to hit a target.)

for some, it is only few degrees, for other, you can near hit someone behind you. (but weapon like this have short range, and very slow projectile)

I think that in warframe, have some weapons like this would be a good thing. (we already have the Ignis that don't really need to aim, and it is the most played weapon of the game)

But i think is should be specific to some weapons, not something that you can add with a mod. 

It is a powerful effect, that need to be compensate to not be op.

Edited by GKP_light

3 minutes ago, GKP_light said:

I played a lot to Kid Icarus Uprising, and in this game, most of the weapon have homing. (the trajectory of the shots deviate to hit a target.)

I don't know about shot "deviating" to hit targets, but yes it seems like everything has a big/generous hit-box. There's defiantly been lots of time where I know I missed on a weapon but it registered as a hit anyway or times when I've headshot Grineer from behind (when their head isn't even visible).

However on the topic of bows, they're kind of weird when it comes to aiming. The bows use a different line to shoot from than the line you sight from (your reticle makes the line that your shots normally go through, bows don't follow that line). When the bow is released it travels to the point where it's line and your sight line intersect.

While this might not sound like much, this means that enemies that run from you will have your shot go wide, also enemies veering to the side will have your bow's shot go straight to the right.

9 hours ago, GKP_light said:

@SpringRocker

"played a lot to Kid Icarus Uprising, and in this game, most of the weapon have homing. "

"this game" is Kid Icarus Uprising.

exemple of pvp in Kid Icarus Uprising with a weapon with high homing

https://youtu.be/5IQMEBj0O-g?t=770

My back, I thought you meant that Warframe had some level of homing.

Anyway no we don't need mods to every weapon into something you don't need to aim. There are already mechanics for that kind of thing available already anyway.

9 hours ago, GKP_light said:

we already have the Ignis that don't really need to aim, and it is the most played weapon of the game

The reason why everyone uses it is because you don't need to aim with it and it can kill everything (kind of like Arca-Plasmors in low level), we don't need to make every weapon capable of that. There's no reason to take the shooting aspect out of a shooter.

il y a 30 minutes, SpringRocker a dit :

The reason why everyone uses it is because you don't need to aim with it and it can kill everything (kind of like Arca-Plasmors in low level), we don't need to make every weapon capable of that.

Not every weapon, but a bit of diversity would be good.

Sounds fun. Would obviously come with its downsides like no punch through, but yeah that would be cool. Also as for the question about diversity, sure, a lot of people use Arca Plasmor because of how good it is. that said, they are CHOOSING to use that weapon. I am perfectly OK with freedom of choice in Warframe, even if that freedom means min-maxing to some people. Homing arrows might not even be strong if they ever add it you know. Depends on a lot of factors.