Scar.brother.help.me

K-Drive is too slow

K-Drive is a nice idea and some effort is put into it but it is just not useful. I don't know what was it added into the game for, what is it's purpose from DE point of view but I thought it was supposed to speed up the movement in open worlds to travel fast between objectives. Here are a few things why it fails to do it:
1. overal speed is too low even with all mods
2. mounting the K-drive - makes you lose all your momentum (i.e. after bullet jump you are stopped and then start to accelerate)
3. small terrain obstacles, little gaps, stones make you fall of the board, where even warframes can run sometimes without jumping (is this a hoverboard or a skateboard?)
4. uphill climbing is pain, why is it harder than running/jumping as a warframe?

And since all archwings got a blink how about K-Drives get some kind of blast acceleration with the same button?

K-drive is also very much messed up with controls and feels like there should be some kind of AIR-GLIDE, not a trick (tricks could be remapped as 1-2-3-4 since we have no abilities on k-drive)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

I don't know what was it added into the game for, what is it's purpose from DE point of view but I thought it was supposed to speed up the movement in open worlds to travel fast between objectives.

It was added as a gimmick.

Initially, we weren't supposed to use K-Drives. the CORPUS were supposed to use them instead. However, later in development, K-Drives were replaced with Coildrives for the corpus (The tron wheels you see rolling around). And then DE let the players play with K-Drives instead. As it stands, K-Drives serves no current purpose other than give mastery points.

Archwings will forever retain the role as the primary transport vehicle of choice. There has been some suggestions of making K-Drives the primary combat vehicle of choice. The mobility they offer is quite significant, and can be used indoors, unlike archwings. (infact, some players found it useful for rushing enrichment lab's spy bounties.). Moreover, it can be used as a source of invincibility during Eidelon fights (you are immune when the mounting animation plays). But these are things players found themselves.

Edited by Aadi880

7 hours ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

K-Drive is a nice idea and some effort is put into it but it is just not useful. I don't know what was it added into the game for, what is it's purpose from DE point of view but I thought it was supposed to speed up the movement in open worlds to travel fast between objectives. Here are a few things why it fails to do it:
2. mounting the K-drive - makes you lose all your momentum (i.e. after bullet jump you are stopped and then start to accelerate)
3. small terrain obstacles, little gaps, stones make you fall of the board, where even warframes can run sometimes without jumping (is this a hoverboard or a skateboard?)
4. uphill climbing is pain, why is it harder than running/jumping as a warframe?

And since all archwings got a blink how about K-Drives get some kind of blast acceleration with the same button?

K-drive is also very much messed up with controls and feels like there should be some kind of AIR-GLIDE, not a trick (tricks could be remapped as 1-2-3-4 since we have no abilities on k-drive)

You forgot:

5. Cannot use weapons

6.  No utility, at least let us fish off them and use them in regular maps where archwings are not allowed

10 hours ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

It's better than walking if you don't have an archwing.

It's also more FUN.

12 hours ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

I agree with the sentiment, K-Drives are quite a dissapointment at their current state, I wouldn`t mind having a rework for them, depending on what they do with it.

And for the speed complaint, it would be a "simple" solution to let the K-Drive accumulate momentum (up to a certain amount, or not?) when riding, so that when boosting into one direction for a long time, you can get huge amounts of speed. Similarly to any racing game you see out there, these physics allow for strategizing on the fly, which would make the K-Drive alot more engaging and fun to ride around. Also, it`s a hoverboard, it has no traction other than air resistance, it should`ve had these physics from the start.

4 hours ago, Educated_Beast said:

You forgot:

5. Cannot use weapons

6.  No utility, at least let us fish off them and use them in regular maps where archwings are not allowed

The use of weapons would be such a good addition, since when doing Fortuna or Plains bounties, players just end up parkouring around to complete the objective, so being able to do that in a much faster K-Drive would finally give us a reason to use it.

As for using them in normal tilesets, I don`t think that would end up being any good, or functional, since the tilesets are quite small and compact in comparison to open world structures, it`s much better to just parkour around than to use a K-Drive.

I will keep asking this until I get an actual answer: Why can't we use K-Drive in indoor missions? Plenty of them feature long, straight hallways. Plenty of them feature large, open-air tiles. Sure, some tilesets don't lend themselves to space snowboards but plenty more do. Why not let us ride them in missions where Archwings are not allowed and maybe THAT way give them SOME use?

• Like 1

K-Drive will be useful if they ever give us an "open world" that's set as the interior of an asteroid mining colony. Twisty tunnels, caverns, etc. Archwing disabled outright, and K-Drive becomes the method of travel for it.

Until then, it's just in the game for funsies.

Also, ditto on being able to use them in regular missions. That would give them purpose. Ish.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

On 2020-02-14 at 9:28 AM, Scar.brother.help.me said:

2. mounting the K-drive - makes you lose all your momentum

Unless you do it like this: 

Seriously though...

4 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

will keep asking this until I get an actual answer: Why can't we use K-Drive in indoor missions?

Yes, we need this. Loads of tilesets are big enough and it would still be funny when it was in too small a space (faceplanting in Kuva Fortress or Eris).

I'd make kdrives do something archwings don't: pause (not reset) your abilities.

So, grab a buff with 30s, pop a kdrive with 20s left, ride around for a few minutes, then when you get off that 20s resumes.

This would make kdrives really useful for build-up abilities like Gara or Nidus. Sure, an archwing will get you there faster, but a k drive will pause your abilities and let you pick up where you left off when you get there.

I'd also make this apply to melee and sniper combos.