Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoCon 2020: Digital Event

[DE]Helen

On 2020-02-20 at 9:55 PM, (NSW)Finlaena said:

Has TennoCon typically been held at the same venue the last couple years? I'd rather go with an Airbnb than a hotel, but I have to make sure it's in close proximity to wherever this is being held, lmao. 

On 2020-02-21 at 9:25 PM, (PS4)ayaCOHEN said:

Probably the same venue. It’s been there for at least two years in a row wasn’t it? 

All previous years were in london Ontario so my guess go to london convention center ^.^ 

13 hours ago, andymous87 said:

I probably should have asked this sooner from the time I heard of it, but is their any other reason outside of a pleasant coincidence that the date of Tennocon was moved to the day of my birthday rather than 4 days before it?

The first weekend or the second as usual so basicly you are just lucky ^.^ 

I'm seriously considering coming along from Ireland this year but would really like to hear other peoples experiences of past tenno-cons. Is there a lot to do at the event or is it mostly just panels? Is there any kind of ice-breaker/meet fellow players type of activities? How long are the days? Does much happen in the evenings? (e.g: mixers, parties, etc?)

I'm also on PS4 and would be interested in playing with some folks who are also attending beforehand! :)

my dream is to attend a tennocon but sadly i live in the other side of the world , and it's really hard to take a tourist visa to canada from my country 😞 , well i'll keep finding a way to attend the next ones much love ❤️❤️ 

23 hours ago, IntheCoconut said:

Is Tennocon going to still happen with the Coronavirus? I was hoping to go this year, but so many other gaming conventions have been heavily impacted or even delayed.

They mentioned in the last DevStream that they're taking a "wait and see" approach and, if absolutely necessary, they'll scrap the physical show itself and have it as a strictly online-only deal. Heavy emphasis on 'if'. That's the main reason why they haven't announced a date for tickets to go on sale yet.

Strictly IMHO, if a show like Emerald City Comic Con can still go on (and Washington State already has one confirmed case of COVID) with them taking extra precautions, I don't see why the show couldn't go on for TennoCon, especially since it's so far out in the future. For all we know, someone may develop a vaccine before then. Anything could happen between now and in the weeks before TennoCon happens.

Although given the infamous reputation geek conventions in general have for having people who, for whatever the reason is, refuse to bathe and/or practice basic hygiene, I wouldn't be surprised if we're in for a super rough con season in general this year...

9 hours ago, (NSW)Finlaena said:

They mentioned in the last DevStream that they're taking a "wait and see" approach and, if absolutely necessary, they'll scrap the physical show itself and have it as a strictly online-only deal. Heavy emphasis on 'if'. That's the main reason why they haven't announced a date for tickets to go on sale yet.

Strictly IMHO, if a show like Emerald City Comic Con can still go on (and Washington State already has one confirmed case of COVID) with them taking extra precautions, I don't see why the show couldn't go on for TennoCon, especially since it's so far out in the future. For all we know, someone may develop a vaccine before then. Anything could happen between now and in the weeks before TennoCon happens.

Although given the infamous reputation geek conventions in general have for having people who, for whatever the reason is, refuse to bathe and/or practice basic hygiene, I wouldn't be surprised if we're in for a super rough con season in general this year...

Canada's in a particularly rough situation as far as COVID goes though, so I can totally understand their "wait and see" mentality.

22 hours ago, (NSW)Finlaena said:

The outbreak is currently small in the western hemisphere. This is why most events around now can still go ahead with relatively low risk. By the time tennocon rolls around it might be a full blown pandemic, and therefore much more dangerous to host a large event. So, "far in the future" is generally more dangerous than the present. Unless, as you mention, a vaccine is developed before then (nevermind the "eight to ten years often needed to develop a new vaccine" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK98400/.) I think DE are doing the right thing here and not assuming a vaccine will be not only developed but also tested and produced on massive scale in ~ 6 months. 

I'm sure that anyone with experience organizing such an event would consult an expert about these things, which is probably why they've made these decisions. Trusting these experts is probably the right thing to do 🙂

Due to the widespread concerns surrounding Coronavirus (COVID-19), we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel the attendee event portion of TennoCon 2020. While this was not an easy decision for us to make, the health and well-being of our players and our development team is our top priority.

Sharing the magic and excitement of TennoCon is still incredibly important to us.

We are putting together plans that will enable every Tenno worldwide to digitally share in the magic and excitement of TennoCon on July 11. We’ll have more details to share soon.

Despite the lack of physical event this year, we will still work to support local charity partners. We will announce more details -- including this year’s charities -- soon.

We sincerely apologize to any Tenno who planned to attend TennoCon. If you’ve already booked travel arrangements, we strongly recommend you reach out to your travel provider as soon as possible.

For more information on COVID-19 please see here.

We will continue to update www.tennocon.com as we prepare for a digital TennoCon 2020.

And Corona kills another event... or half kills in this case. Should be interesting to see how this adapts. This is probably for the best though. E3 needed to adapt to a digital landscape as well and it's just been a slow death for the event for a number of years now. Maybe Tennocon can actually produce something more engaging for the larger audience that can't actually attend.

Archived