Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I spot the Wild Animals I'm trying to conserve?

Galoain

Question

I'm trying to do Orb Vallis conservation, and I have the basics down, but the execution is getting frustrating.  Once I call the animal, I spend a few minutes frantically spinning around with my tranq rifle to see where it spawned, and then running out of time to shoot it because I couldn't figure out where it was to shoot at it.  How am I supposed to know where the critter is once I use the echo lure?  I'm a decently good shot with my tranq rifle, even if I'm not using a stealth frame, but that's useless if I don't know where my gun's supposed to be pointing!

14 answers to this question

the animal will go to the marked place, so you should be an bit far away while looking at that place to hunt them
some animals go by walking from far away, others burrow out closeby, others just arrives by flying... but all of them will converge  at that lure if you succesfully call them with the echo-lure into the marked area

if needs some more info, like about those animals, theres the warframe's wiki:
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Conservation

Thank you all for that last crucial bit of information about moving AWAY from the call point and watching it.  I also discovered that I can "piggyback" off the captures of other players in the squad I'm assigned (playing on Public), which not only helped me get the Perfect Captures I needed for this week's Nightwave challenge, but also showed me a bit more on how it's done.

Still, I really need to get my hands on a stealth frame sometime soon...

On 2020-02-18 at 4:37 AM, Galoain said:

I'm trying to do Orb Vallis conservation, and I have the basics down, but the execution is getting frustrating.  Once I call the animal, I spend a few minutes frantically spinning around with my tranq rifle to see where it spawned, and then running out of time to shoot it because I couldn't figure out where it was to shoot at it.  How am I supposed to know where the critter is once I use the echo lure?  I'm a decently good shot with my tranq rifle, even if I'm not using a stealth frame, but that's useless if I don't know where my gun's supposed to be pointing!

Tips:
- They always spawn from where they make the first echo answer.  Spin around on the lure to study the direction before you proceed to call them out.
- Zooming in tranq gun (aim) will scan the area like codex scanner, with longer range. Each pulse highlights wild animal through obstacles if it's within range and on screen.

Edited by SHArK-FiN

Orb Vallis animals show up as enemies on radar.  So enemy radar mods are great to have on an invis frame.  Ivara gets an extra 20meters of radar from her passive so she is like perfect.  Having enermy radar also will help you keep the area clear of interruptions.  

Invisibility does not solve everything though.  Some animals can see through it like Bolarola.   

Alot of animals in OV are buggy.  Stovers will spawn on top of you or come running into a cave already pissed off.   Horrasques run when they are shot now (let them get to the poop and climb out of the ground first).  Sawgaws still slide when they land but you can shoot them now (give them a second after they land to make sure they are vulnerable).  

But this is my best tip for OV hunting.... You CAN choose which animal you want to hunt.  If you cycle between 2 lures, it will only show the call spots for the last lure selected.   Kubro's are worth a decent amount of standing and one of the easier least broken things to catch.  So I just cycle lures after every kill to only show kubro call spots.  6 easy perfect kills later and im done......

-------------------------

PoE(plains of eidolon) is a different experience.  PoE will random spawn critters around you (except mergoo).  All you have to do is pull your tranq rifle out and a creature should spawn around you.  You then just have to visually spot it with the rifle(they do not show up on radar, except Vasca Kavats who do, I think...could be the stupid vorma since they are mortal enemies lol).  

But you just hop around with your tranq gun out and hunt anmals that way.  It feels amazing and I wish OV worked like that.   I also wish mergoo were hooked up into the random spawns.   

You can also use the lure cycling trick to hunt specific animals if you need to do that.  

-----------------------------

But I think DE needs to make hunting hunting 2.0 based on PoE.   You pull out your tranq gun and poof a random critter spawns(any animal).  The animal would be spawn a random distance(40-150 meters), in a random direction from you (excluding out of bounds).   Your tranq gun would have a sensor on it that visually points you in the direction of the animal.  You then stalk your pray on your own using the tranq guns visual pulses.   

In PoE the condrocs are just sitting on the ground.  Critters flying around in the air might be hard to program (since they would be at random spots).  But maybe flying critters could be perched up high in trees or on cliffs or buildings.  Condrocs are sometimes sat around corpses and that makes sense to.  

Anyways its super organic and feels awesome to hunt in PoE.   I loved conservation before they ruined stealth mechanics in the game.  Before railjack and liches I would easily spend an hour and half in open world maps hunting for standing.

• Like 1

Oh, I plan on doing a LOT of hunting, not just for Standing, but also for the sake of...well...roleplaying for lack of a better term.  Studies show that to repopulate a species, you need at least 50 individuals to combat inbreeding, 500 to reduce genetic drift.  If my Operator is SERIOUS about saving the cute and cuddly critters of both the Orb Vallis and the Plains of Eidolon, they'll want to ensure they hit those numbers! :)

5 hours ago, Galoain said:

Oh, I plan on doing a LOT of hunting, not just for Standing, but also for the sake of...well...roleplaying for lack of a better term.  Studies show that to repopulate a species, you need at least 50 individuals to combat inbreeding, 500 to reduce genetic drift.  If my Operator is SERIOUS about saving the cute and cuddly critters of both the Orb Vallis and the Plains of Eidolon, they'll want to ensure they hit those numbers! 🙂

The best way to hit those numbers is to take Ivara (yes, the huntress). Her passive makes it easier to spot the animals. Overlap and extend that passive using Animal Instinct (or Primed version of it) on the sentinel that you equip, and Enemy Radar aura mod. After giving out the call, spawning animal follows 2 rules:

1. They will come from the direction of their call.
  2. They will move toward the place where you call them.

Coming to capture, stay invisible, that allows you to try and get multiple shots on the animal, in case you miss a couple due to movement or terrains (for the damn birds Sawgaws and Mergoos AAARGGGH). With the extended enemy detection range, they will actually be detected much before on your mini map than on your tranq rifle. Now you are all setup to capture those beasts and send them to safety, so keep your face to the wind, ear to the ground, and stay warm. 😉

17 hours ago, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_ said:

Invisibility does not solve everything though.  Some animals can see through it like Bolarola. 

Actually, no. My experience with them says that they can't see us when we are invisible, but (here is the interesting bit) if you hit their armor-like plates with tranq rifles instead of their bellies,(side ward shot, close range, about 5-10m) they get alerted and try to escape. So staying invisible will allow you to creep nearer to the target and the that perfect shot for perfect capture. But it might be possible that the behaviour is different due to different platforms, I cant confirm that

Edited by --DSP--CephalonSamara