Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FX cards/Emissives

Sophronius

Hai all,

would anyone be able to direct me to what I would need to do in order to properly implement energy emissives for melee weapons? I do not know if I have to create a mesh for the emissive texture, create some sort of keyframed file, etc.

To elaborate: I want to create a central floating "light." There will be energy that traverses down the blade. Similarities to the sword,

Spoiler

'War'.

(WARNING: story Spoiler melee weapon)

To create energy emissive, you need geometry with a separate material which will feature a single texture using red and green channel.

• On this first channel (red), black will be purely transparent while red will be your energy color.
  • On the second channel (green), it will work the same exept it will be a scrolling texture, using the first channel as a mask. The scrolling speed and direction will depend on setting you can change when previewing in the tennogen app.

You can check how it's treated in game by looking at the files of the few existing warframe that feature this (I have Ivara skirt in mind).
About previewing the hologram, the app and most of rendering software aren't prepared to do that by default, so you will need to make your custom shader to show it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh thank you, and sorry for a super late reply.

Looking at example files I can see the black alpha and red tint map but I am not seeing a green one. I do see an emissive map that is black and white and does appear to create a scrolling emissive glow in the tennogen renderer. Perhaps I am not seeing something here.

New question!

So based on the guide it looks like you create a texture for the scrolling emissive. I assume made it's of noise that can be generated using for example Photoshop filters (Such as generate fibers).

I read somewhere in the guide that a separate mesh needs to be made for custom emissives. I am curious to what specifically this means. I am considering having emissives on my object, not floating off it. (But I may have them floating off it) The only exception would be a sphere/diamond shape in the center which floats. I will alpha it out to make it appear like a floating Oro. Do I need to make additional vertices/polygons over top of the main body just for the custom emissives?

I am currently in a high poly sculpting phase after creating a base design low poly mesh and hope to know what else to proceed with before I begin rebuilding the low poly.

Edited by Sophronius
Additional info

Le 28/02/2020 à 05:42, Sophronius a dit :

Looking at example files I can see the black alpha and red tint map but I am not seeing a green one. I do see an emissive map that is black and white and does appear to create a scrolling emissive glow in the tennogen renderer. Perhaps I am not seeing something here.

About this, I said red and green channel because it's how it work right know but it's relatively new, so older files use the old RGB+A instead of R+G, where RGB (turned to grayscale) is your base emssive and A is your scrolling pattern.
Frome the provided tennogen files, I think only the Tatsu use the new method.

Le 28/02/2020 à 05:42, Sophronius a dit :

I read somewhere in the guide that a separate mesh needs to be made for custom emissives. I am curious to what specifically this means. I am considering having emissives on my object, not floating off it. (But I may have them floating off it) The only exception would be a sphere/diamond shape in the center which floats. I will alpha it out to make it appear like a floating Oro. Do I need to make additional vertices/polygons over top of the main body just for the custom emissives?

The rule is simple :

• If your emssive is on your object normally, you just put it on the main object into the same material. You can use scrolling emissive there.
  • If your emissive float, you have to create another mesh with a different material that only feature emissive. This one can use scrolling emissive too.
  • You can use both if necessary, as long as you only have 2 materials an everything fit in the polygon limit.

Also, keep in mind regular emissive will be affected by your "emissive" color while floating one will be affected by "energy" color ingame.