Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival: It Needs Improvement

kill3r_furby

I've been farming for power throw, and one thing I've come to find is that survival is very...frantic. Needlessly so. Aside from the fact that if you need to carry your teammates it's a bad experience, but what I've come to discover is that not only are the support pods placed in rather stupid places (3+ rooms away at times), but the markers don't show up until the pods have already appeared. That combined with the lack of mini-drops from mobs makes it a very skin-of-your-teeth mode.

Quite frankly DE, I know I'm not alone in the sentiment that survival should simply be played on the defense maps. But, you want it like this, so I shall react accordingly. Thoughts/comments welcome.

EDIT: I see most of you neglected to read further down where I refined my statement: Having to backtrack and sprint around a full level to find the pods is my problem. The waypoint doesn't appear for me until after the pod has already spawned (and by then, until our oxygen is at roughly 55% from too few o2 drops). This, combined with generally playing with randoms (my friends have abandoned this game), makes for a less-than-pleasant time when you're just that little bit too slow to reach the pod before it hits 0%. Now do you understand?

Edited by kill3r_furby

The whole point is to have it be frantic. It encourages mobility, cooperation, and "think-on-your-feet" tactics, rather than "sit-on-top-of-a-pod-and-shoot-stuff-until-you-get-tired-of-clicking" tactics. It is unique as is, and personally I would be disappointed to see survival become just another endless defense variant. Perhaps there is room for both, but honestly they would be so similar it seems a bit redundant to have defense, mobile defense, and survival defense.

i didn't like Survival on the Defense maps much, it was boring after you did it too many times. actively engaging, but the level was boring.

i thought Survival was going to be an infinite constant traverse along the map, always forced to constantly move forwards to survive, both for support pods, and to avoid the overwhelming onslaught of enemies trailing you.

what we got instead, was a single room Defense Survival. then, we got a Survival that consisted of like, 5 tiles at most. 

neither of those are even close to as amazing as Survival first sounded. 

i don't want Survival to just be Boyscout training tent-pitching simulator. that's too easy, and too bland. force me to progress throughout the ship to avoid getting wrecked by the impending enemies and to chase Support Pods.

Here's my experience lately: Grineer survival is great as is, Corpus maps force the main pods too far apart, and Infested drop the personal pods far too rarely (about 1 in 50 actually drops). As for Void, yes it was too spread out and enemies scaled up quite quickly. Also why swarms of Fusion ospreys?!

Oh, and, the constantly having to backtrack to get the main pods is a serious pain. Especially when there aren't enemies spawning along the way.

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

When you get a group that can coordinate, it's not so bad. It's very easy to get a group that will go and do their own thing. It's best if you can find people who will move together from Life Support Capsule to Life Support Capsule. That's easier said than done, though.

If you pay attention, you'll notice the life support pods always spawn at the same spots on the map.  There's 3 or 4 different locations for every survival map, and staying alive in survival is a game of running back and forth between those spots.  Assuming spawns aren't broken, the best strategy is for everyone to stay together near the life support pod.  This will cause all enemies to spawn close to you, making all the loot drops convenient.  If you have players strung out all over the map, the enemies will be strung out all over the map, and your enemies-killed-per-unit-time statistic will start to drop, because your enemy:player density ratio is decreasing.  This will cause your number of individual life support pods dropped per-unit-time to go down.

I think the problem with Corpus and Void map tiles is that sometimes enemies will spawn "behind" elevators or other obstacles, causing no more enemies to spawn elsewhere, and you won't be able to find the culprits unless you go looking.  (The same thing happens with Void Mobile Defenses, occasionally...you can sit the entire map out sometimes and nothing will ever come to the terminal.)

Here's my experience lately: Grineer survival is great as is, Corpus maps force the main pods too far apart, and Infested drop the personal pods far too rarely (about 1 in 50 actually drops). As for Void, yes it was too spread out and enemies scaled up quite quickly. Also why swarms of Fusion ospreys?!

Oh, and, the constantly having to backtrack to get the main pods is a serious pain. Especially when there aren't enemies spawning along the way.

This. This is my problem with it. I understand your respective points of view, and I have nothing against the standard tileset. It was more a matter of the thing becomes far too spread out to really constitute "Survival." It is currently more like "Scavenger" than anything right now (the infested/void missions that is; I don't really care for the game mode and have only been farming it, so I haven't bothered with either of the other two). It just needs some tweaks is all. Maybe lock out an area once the players have moved out of it, forcing them to not only keep moving forward, but also forcing the oxygen supplies to spawn in more...sensible places.

i think the current survival is fine, it's supposed to be frantic. I've never seen a supply delivered without a waypoint, they however do get covered up by the extraction symbol though.<br /><br />the one thing i would change about the current survival is remove elevators.

I've been farming for power throw, and one thing I've come to find is that survival is very...frantic. Needlessly so. Aside from the fact that if you need to carry your teammates it's a bad experience, but what I've come to discover is that not only are the support pods placed in rather stupid places (3+ rooms away at times), but the markers don't show up until the pods have already appeared. That combined with the lack of mini-drops from mobs makes it a very skin-of-your-teeth mode.

Quite frankly DE, I know I'm not alone in the sentiment that survival should simply be played on the defense maps. But, you want it like this, so I shall react accordingly. Thoughts/comments welcome.

Hmm...So Survival is..."frantic" and "skin-of-your-teeth"? That's kind of the point, isn't it?

If you want to sit in one place and kill mobs why not....play defense? Not trying to be rude, but wouldn't that solve your problem?

i didn't like Survival on the Defense maps much, it was boring after you did it too many times. actively engaging, but the level was boring.

i thought Survival was going to be an infinite constant traverse along the map, always forced to constantly move forwards to survive, both for support pods, and to avoid the overwhelming onslaught of enemies trailing you.

what we got instead, was a single room Defense Survival. then, we got a Survival that consisted of like, 5 tiles at most. 

neither of those are even close to as amazing as Survival first sounded. 

i don't want Survival to just be Boyscout training tent-pitching simulator. that's too easy, and too bland. force me to progress throughout the ship to avoid getting wrecked by the impending enemies and to chase Support Pods.

Agreed. More survivy!

Melee kill/stealth kill mobs for extra chance at small air drops

After 5 mins

Occasional massive waves of troops announced by Lotus

After 10 Mins

Some airpods spawn camped by teams of heavies

After 15 mins

Ambushes and trapped rooms! Lasers, poison gas!

After 20 mins

Lockdowns can happen if you don't kill scout mobs in time.

Moar Survivy!

What's wrong with frantic?  Isn't it nice to have something that isn't always just a leisurely stroll through the park?  Isn't the whole point of survival to survive by the skin of your teeth?  Survival actually pulled me back into Warframe because it breaks up the monotonous camp play of defense and boring ease of every other game mode.  I would rather not have it turned into a leisurely walk through the park or even worse another camping simulator like defense.

I've been farming for power throw

Ah, I think we have found the heart of the matter. 

I much preferred the Defense maps to the regulars. To be honest, it's not frantic. In 18 minutes in Event Mode, I could kill 850 Infested. Now I can manage 400 in Half an Hour. I prefer the maps on the Defense Maps.

Also, I loved the fact that many people managed to get times well over 2 hours. I wish those kinds of scores were still possible on the new Survival Setup maps. But I mainly wish there was CONSISTENCY with the oxygen drops from mobs. But Defense maps would be lovely, thanks :3

Survival on defense maps was simply far too trivial to farm.  Now that Nekros and desecrate exist, it would simply make gaining mods and resources stupidly easy.

Currently survival is less then ideal for solo players.  Not a lot to be done there - this is ultimately a co-op game.  And survival missions on Corpus ships have spawning issues, I'd wager related to locked doors and elevators. 

The Grineer galleon survival maps bury me in enemies though.