Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC Controller Archwing interface

Sentinel-14

Couldn't find a better place to put this, so here it is. I play with an Xbox-style controller on PC and I'm having some problems with the Archwing and Railjack controls.

Atmosphere Archwing (Plains and Valis)

• I cannot reload my weapon because the default reload button (B) is also the default Blink button. I dont want to rebind Reload (because it should be the same button across all modes) and I don't know where else to put Blink.

Railjack

• When I walk up to a gun turret or the pilot station I can press X (default interact button) to mount the station, but I cannot press X again to leave. I have to use my Keyboard.
  • When outside in archwing mode, pressing X on the controller will not let me board the railjack or crewship despite the prompt saying "Press X to board". Again, I have to go to my Keyboard for that. This is especially annoying if the railjack or crewship is moving and I have to fly one-handed until I can get lined back up to hit the button and board.

Both of these are quite frustrating because they require me to take my hands off my controller and look away from the screen to find the one button I need in order to move on and keep playing.

Not so much a UI issue here, but it's archwing related. I have a recurring but predictable problem with launching the archwing from the ground: If Im looking anywhere above horizontal, the archwing launcher causes me to start clipping into the ground, taking damage with no way out unless I abandon the archwing. It's almost like the archwing gets stuck below the surface of the map. If I jump before calling in the archwing there is no issue, and if I just stand but look straight ahead (not up or down) it'll launch fine. It's only when standing and looking up during launch that it starts clipping.

Some will argue that I should just learn KB/M to play on PC, but I'd really like to avoid that. I've got muscle memory built up from playing on console for a few years prior to moving to PC so I really would like to see the controller support cleaned up.

3 hours ago, Sentinel-14 said:

I cannot reload my weapon because the default reload button (B) is also the default Blink button. I dont want to rebind Reload (because it should be the same button across all modes) and I don't know where else to put Blink.

Wait what? I thought blink was Slide/Roll? I am confused.

23 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

Wait what? I thought blink was Slide/Roll? I am confused.

After looking over the wiki it seems I might have my button mapping messed up somehow.

Wiki says that "Dash" (otherwise known as sprint) is defaulted to left stick click
Blink is defaulted to left stick double click.
When Railjack first released this quickly became a problem because if you were dashing/sprinting/afterburning whatever and tried to double-click to blink, it would instead stop your dash, then reactive your dash. At least that's the issue I and others here ran into, and we were told to rebind Blink to a different key. I guess I followed that advice and managed to mess up my binds even further. Will have to reset to default tonight and remap everything again until it all makes sense and works.
A friend sent me a screen-grab of the railjack controls tab in Options (Im at work so I cant look at my own settings) and it seems the default for Blink is left bumper (LB). So... maybe DE is expecting us to double-tap LB to blink? I dont recall when this change happened: it certainly wasn't announced in big bold letters.

However, this does not address the other problems:
On controller, in archwing mode, left bumper (LB) defaults to Decend, while X defaults to Ascend. X is supposed to be the 'context button' as well. How am I supposed to enter a railjack/crewship in Archwing mode when the context button is also the 'ascend' button?

This also does nothing to solve the 'dismount pilot/turret' issue without using my keyboard.

I fully understand that this issue can likely be solved by simply rebinding the keys. The problem is that DE's defaults are broken and don't work. That's what I'm hoping to bring to their attention and get resolved.

Ideally I'd like to see 3 separate tabs for controller configuration: one for normal gameplay, one for Archwing mode, and one for Railjack. At least then I could look at each tab and know, at a glance, what every button does when I'm in that particular mode.

Edited by Sentinel-14

39 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

Wiki says that "Dash" (otherwise known as sprint) is defaulted to left stick click
Blink is defaulted to left stick double click.
When Railjack first released this quickly became a problem because if you were dashing/sprinting/afterburning whatever and tried to double-click to blink, it would instead stop your dash, then reactive your dash. At least that's the issue I and others here ran into, and we were told to rebind Blink to a different key. I guess I followed that advice and managed to mess up my binds even further. Will have to reset to default tonight and remap everything again until it all makes sense and works.
A friend sent me a screen-grab of the railjack controls tab in Options (Im at work so I cant look at my own settings) and it seems the default for Blink is left bumper (LB). So... maybe DE is expecting us to double-tap LB to blink? I dont recall when this change happened: it certainly wasn't announced in big bold letters.

You probably should reset the bindings to fix any issue possible.

As for Blink on LB, it works like roll: You do a single tap, and it blinks (or you roll). Make sure you're not using toggle crouch or something like that.

40 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

However, this does not address the other problems:
On controller, in archwing mode, left bumper (LB) defaults to Decend, while X defaults to Ascend. X is supposed to be the 'context button' as well. How am I supposed to enter a railjack/crewship in Archwing mode when the context button is also the 'ascend' button?

Fairly sure ascend is supposed to be A.

41 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

I fully understand that this issue can likely be solved by simply rebinding the keys. The problem is that DE's defaults are broken and don't work. That's what I'm hoping to bring to their attention and get resolved.

Fairly sure the defaults are fine (or were fine last time I checked, since it's basically with what I roll except a few changes here and there). It is entirely possible they made an update and the settings on your end became wonky as heck though. This is why I recommended resetting to defaults again -- it's bothersome to rebind custom stuff, I know very well, but it pays off -- since it's the only way to ensure things will be fixed again.

43 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

Ideally I'd like to see 3 separate tabs for controller configuration: one for normal gameplay, one for Archwing mode, and one for Railjack. At least then I could look at each tab and know, at a glance, what every button does when I'm in that particular mode.

Oh yeah, completely agree, some buttons in Archwing make no sense, so it could be nice to have it change, while I also understand that making it similar makes it more seamless. But yes, especially on Railjack it could be even less dependant on the other two.

39 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

It is entirely possible they made an update and the settings on your end became wonky as heck though.

Probably right. A similar thing happened when they removed melee channeling: it somehow screwed up archwing controls to the point people had to manually change the bindings (even if they were default) then hit the 'revert to default' button in order to get everything reset properly.  Yay Spaghetti code!

I'm going to spend some time tonight in the free-flight zone of Railjack so I can actually fiddle with the binds and test them in real-time until they're working right. thanks for chiming in: it's made me look deeper into things instead of stopping at "It no work, plz fix!"

48 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

Probably right. A similar thing happened when they removed melee channeling: it somehow screwed up archwing controls to the point people had to manually change the bindings (even if they were default) then hit the 'revert to default' button in order to get everything reset properly.  Yay Spaghetti code!

I'm going to spend some time tonight in the free-flight zone of Railjack so I can actually fiddle with the binds and test them in real-time until they're working right. thanks for chiming in: it's made me look deeper into things instead of stopping at "It no work, plz fix!"

No probs, always glad to help ^_^