Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS Drops, Stutters, Cursor Latency and General Lag Inside Orbiter

Flex238

I have been also experiencing lag spikes for some time now.

From what I have tested. I get frame drops from 120 to 60 exactly every 1 minute and one CPU core goes to 100% during the frame drop. GPU is at 50%, so it's not a limit. This is in the orbiter without doing anything.

Edited by Mysteoa
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mysteoa said:

I have been also experiencing lag spikes for some time now.

From what I have tested. I get frame drops from 120 to 60 exactly every 1 minute and one CPU core goes to 100% during the frame drop. GPU is at 50%, so it's not a limit. This is in the orbiter without doing anything.

Almost the same thing here. In orbiter, not doing anything, freezes up for a moment at exact one minute intervals. Interestingly, there's a substantial CPU/GPU usage dip for me when it happens.

Performance reliability in general has tanked recently, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised with a game that can't even make its IRC implementation work properly (error 10054, with threads going as far back as 2013, anyone?). Weird that not a year ago Warframe was by far the smoothest game in my rotation.

Edited by ebrl
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, we are having a difficult time reproducing this issue. Could you please try clicking the Verify and Optimize buttons in your Warframe launcher settings? This window can be accessed by clicking the little wheel at the top-right corner of your launcher, and it will allow us to make sure this stuttering isn't being caused by missing or corrupt game files. Thanks!

verf5.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, we are having a difficult time reproducing this issue. Could you please try clicking the Verify and Optimize buttons in your Warframe launcher settings? This window can be accessed by clicking the little wheel at the top-right corner of your launcher, and it will allow us to make sure this stuttering isn't being caused by missing or corrupt game files. Thanks!

verf5.png

This appears to have worked for me. The regular lag spikes every minute are gone, however I did notice a spike whenever Ordis would chime in. Ill post if anything changes as I play today.

8 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Hi everyone,

verf5.png

*UPDATE* I verified and optimized my download and that seemed to fix the issue. However, after some time playing on and off throughout the day I'm starting to notice the stutters again at regular intervals.

Same here, lagging at the start of a mission, and sometimes I can't interact (use habilities, hack consoles, activate things,...) I have another friend with drops from 140 to 20 and he is not playing because of that

• Like 1

This is how I was able to reproduce the frame drop in the orbiter for me.

I start the game and log in. Then I open the star chart and close it. From there it start to frame drop from 120 to 60 every 1 minute. 

I have done the Verify and Optimized download cache. Video card it is at 50%, so no bottleneck there. No browser open. It happens with deffer rendering On and Off.

Someone suggested that it may be related to when a session is made, which is exactly after you have open the star chart.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mysteoa said:

This is how I was able to reproduce the frame drop in the orbiter for me.

I start the game and log in. Then I open the star chart and close it. From there it start to frame drop from 120 to 60 every 1 minute. 

I have done the Verify and Optimized download cache. Video card it is at 50%, so no bottleneck there. No browser open. It happens with deffer rendering On and Off.

Someone suggested that it may be related to when a session is made, which is exactly after you have open the star chart.

50% GPU usage seems weird. Are you playing with an FPS cap or v-sunc? Usually it's better to have the GPU as the bottleneck.

i have the same issue and was also thinking it might be something netcode related or anything similar since all of my hardware numbers (frequency and such) are pretty normal and dont show that an actual freeze happened.

noticed it happen after a mission yesterday and suddenly after i had the starchart opened shortly. strangely enough it only happens in the orbiter. going out to a mission or relay or ofc restarting the game removes the issue for the time being. cant specifiy the trigger sadly, tried different things and it seems to be something pretty "nieche", at least to me, since i dont have it all of the time, even opening the starchart doesnt always seem to trigger it.

optimizing the game files didnt solve it for me either.

on one hand its good that its "only" happening in orbiter because it would be unplayable in missions, even if it only occurs every ~50 seconds.

also suspected drivers at first, as always, and nope...clean new driver install does nothing at all too.

Edited by Xydeth
  • Like 1

I've quit Warframe like 3 times because of this issue in the space of the past 2 years. DE releases updates but doesn't overhail the performance of the game. They overhail other stuff but who cares about any of that if the game runs like crap? I'm done with this game again... 

• Like 2

On 2020-03-24 at 7:45 AM, LaylaAmbrose said:

50% GPU usage seems weird. Are you playing with an FPS cap or v-sunc? Usually it's better to have the GPU as the bottleneck.

I have a 120fps cap because when I'm in the orbiter it will go up to 200fps. This will make the GPU fans run faster and nosier to cool the card.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mysteoa said:

I have a 120fps cap because when I'm in the orbiter it will go up to 200fps. This will make the GPU fans run faster and nosier to cool the card.

Well true and your card should have high usage still as it should. But the original poster's issue seems like the card isn't even being used much.

• Like 1

same issues, try many ways to fix this with no results.
terrible stuttering and freezzes, sometimes total freezes over 20sec.

sometimes endless loading on joining squads then a freeze.  

issues are on orbiter massive doing nothing or using arsenal, mods etc.
issues are on elite sanctuary massive (here i got sometimes total freezes for over 20sec) (no not when the portal coming up)
issues are differently on some missions.

warframe engine need truly a big big performance optimisation

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _Tuvok_ said:

same issues, try many ways to fix this with no results.
terrible stuttering and freezzes, sometimes total freezes over 20sec.

sometimes endless loading on joining squads then a freeze.  

issues are on orbiter massive doing nothing or using arsenal, mods etc.
issues are on elite sanctuary massive (here i got sometimes total freezes for over 20sec) (no not when the portal coming up)
issues are differently on some missions.

warframe engine need truly a big big performance optimisation

I was just doing an endless relic run and god, the game just stutters and stutters and stutters. They are releasing hotfixes for Scarlet Spear and Titania but nothing for performance... this is just sad. DE is not listening to any of us. 

• Like 2

Since the Scarlet Spear update I have noticed 3-5 second freezes when in orbiter, nav panel and sometimes when loading into missions.

My orbiter has a ton of stuff in it, so it's normal to have a 1-2 freeze time when loading in, but it's much worse now. I have also always had a less than 1 second freeze sometimes escaping out of arsenal that I've just come to live with... 16gb of ram and WF is installed on an 500g SSD. PC is a bit old, but it's set at 144hz stable.

1. Optimized and verified caches from launch window.

2. Allowed more virtual memory on SSD.

3. Lowered in-game graphics settings and double checked monitor refresh rates etc.

4. Cleaned PC registry and ran some virus software (squeaky clean).

5. Re-checked Radeon software, drivers and windows are updated. 

6. Reset CMOS and reset DRAM frequency for memory.

Edited by Nanology
  • Like 2

update from my side: opening starchart triggers it. kept watch for a possible trigger over the last days. doesnt occur over time or after missions, it occurs after vaing opened the star chart but not all of the time. it does happen sometimes but its not really realiable so to speak.

hope it helps in reproducing and finding the cause in detail.

• Like 1

I'm having the exact same issue. Just idling in the orbiter will cause my FPS to 'randomly' dip down to 30ish after snapping back to stable 60 FPS. Made me mad for the last couple of days because I couldn't figure out why it's happening. I tried exclusive fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, chain swap on or off, VSync on or off, but to no avail. It is worth mentioning though that ingame eg. in a mission the game runs smooth like butter on a warm day in the sun. I'm running the high preset with some tweaks (motion blur off, no film grain, SMAA, 50% effect intensity), VSync 60Hz.

For comparison, my hardware config:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
16 GB DDR4-2133 RAM
250 GB SSD Samsung Evo 860 (system only)
500 GB SSD Samsung Evo 860 (for games)
Gainward GTX 1060 6 GB Phoenix GS
Corsair TX650M 650 Watt PSU
Windows 10 Pro 1909 (Build 18363.752)
Windows Defender, Discord, Steam, Samsung Magician, Razer Synapse 2, OneDrive (although background programs don't seem to matter)

Windows is a fresh install with all drivers updated.

Edited by NinjaFuchs
typo (at least the one I saw)
  • Like 2