Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I don't like the sentients (Edited)

JackHargreav

Something that my dumbass head didn't realize is that I didn't specify the level of the enemies I'm talking about. So here's a lil bit of disclaimer that my experience comes from the lvl 90 Sentients you find in Veil Proxima not the regular level 30 enemies. My opinion on the AI is still the same tho. (I'm referring to the last segment with this statement.)

They are pain to fight. And it's not because of their adaptation. That's completely fine. They just have such a bad hitbox and of course they just fly non-stop around me. Combine the constant movement and this weird hitbox and you get the most annoying enemy type in video game history.

At least some frames can freeze them. But even then they are not very exciting to fight.

Also I don't get why in the SD quest my Operator was so good against them. What was the point of making the operator so OP in that one single mission when she/he does absolutely no damage to them later on?

Edit: Actually how they behave is also really boring. We have the Grineer. And they can be dumb as a rock but still, they go behind cover, shout at the tenno sometimes, they form a little squad and move as a unit when there's an Ice Eximus with his snowglobe up. They kinda act like they care about fighting you.

And the Sentients just float. That's it. They float and shoot. And sometimes spin around.

Edited by JackHargreav
  • Like 4

As somebody who really likes Sentients.... yeah, I gotta agree with you. I feel like DE should alter the hitbox so it doesn't 100% match the model, but extends around the various bones and holes, at least for the smaller fighter sentients, so it's less likely your shots just harmlessly pass through them. It's just frustrating otherwise. And letting them stand still for five seconds wouldn't hurt either.

• Like 2

If you think they're the most annoying enemies in video game history then either you're exaggerating wildly, or you haven't played many video games.

I don't even have to look further than Warframe for an example. I'd like you to meet my lich with the Tonkor who could one shot entire teams while hopping around like a demented bunny rabbit, dropping grenades like turds, occasionally turning invisible and constantly dropping insults that belong in Bollywood gangster movies.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 3rdpig said:

I'd like you to meet my lich with the Tonkor who could one shot entire teams while hopping around like a demented bunny rabbit, dropping grenades like turds, occasionally turning invisible and constantly dropping insults that belong in Bollywood gangster movies.

Kinda sounds like most warframe players back when tonkor was meta.

I have to agree, I don't enjoy fighting sentients either. And I do think their adaptation is going to be a problem. The difference between medicine and poison is the dose. Sentient adaptation is fine on a couple enemies per mission, or a couple dozen enemies in a mission you can only do once every three hours. But imagine spending all day grinding out, say, exterminate missions with 150+ enemies each, only they're all sentients and each and every one of them requires you to go into operator three times to reset their adaptation. I shudder at the thought.

Just now, SordidDreams said:

only they're all sentients and each and every one of them requires you to go into operator three times to reset their adaptation. I shudder at the thought

Everyone will be playing Excal umbral range/efficiency builds with howl, paracesis, and shedu.

9 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

But imagine spending all day grinding out, say, exterminate missions with 150+ enemies each, only they're all sentients and each and every one of them requires you to go into operator three times to reset their adaptation. I shudder at the thought.

The worst part is, they'll probably do that. They've given us all these Sentient-killing, anti-adaptation tools that it's easy to think, "oh they have the tools to kill Sentients so we can throw them in as we like".

And as Skaleek above says: everyone just starts playing a few frames to deal with them, slaughtering versatility in the process.

Just now, JackHargreav said:

Yup. Me too.

In fact the more I think about this, the less interested I am in the upcoming event. I'll get that new ephemera and that's it for me I think. Unless they do some changes.

Now where did you get this juicy info?

I'm not enthusiastic about Sentients as a new big presence. I've never liked them, even once they got to be easy to deal with. So I'm hoping that they deliver some vastly more interesting sentient enemies with the updates. Ones that do interesting things, have neat AI and attacks, new weapons, more sound effects, and are just all-round better enemies than current iteration.

Also, I really hope I don't have to constantly ping-pong into Operator mode throughout the new war. I like that even less than Sentients. 

54 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

I have to agree, I don't enjoy fighting sentients either. And I do think their adaptation is going to be a problem. The difference between medicine and poison is the dose. Sentient adaptation is fine on a couple enemies per mission, or a couple dozen enemies in a mission you can only do once every three hours. But imagine spending all day grinding out, say, exterminate missions with 150+ enemies each, only they're all sentients and each and every one of them requires you to go into operator three times to reset their adaptation. I shudder at the thought.

DE gave us the paracesis and now the shedu both of which have the ability to remove the adaptation, with the shedu being an AOE burst.....oh no we have to use weapons DESIGNED to fight them..........

Who knows, maybe Operators will actually be worthwhile soon(tm). I for one never really use them except for derelict runs and the rare eidolon capture (because i hate them time wait)

• Like 3

There's also the really annoying splash damage. Whose idea was it to give one of the basic enemies a pair of rapid fire rocket launchers strong enough to oneshot Sentinels with the AOE alone?

8 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

DE gave us the paracesis and now the shedu both of which have the ability to remove the adaptation, with the shedu being an AOE burst.....oh no we have to use weapons DESIGNED to fight them.

Because heaven forfend that people might want to have a fun experience while using the gear they actually like.

It's part of why I despise how spongey enemies are in Railjack (and more generally DE's use of high level enemies as a substitute for actual difficulty in recent updates). When you make them this durable you put non-meta players like myself in a rather unpleasant position. I can either not use the weapons and frames I enjoy, or I get used to emptying multiple magazines into enemies that in turn take my health from full to dead in less than a second. Either way, I'm not having fun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corvid said:

There's also the really annoying splash damage. Whose idea was it to give one of the basic enemies a pair of rapid fire rocket launchers strong enough to oneshot Sentinels with the AOE alone?

Because heaven forfend that people might want to have a fun experience while using the gear they actually like.

It's part of why I despise how spongey enemies are in Railjack (and more generally DE's use of high level enemies as a substitute for actual difficulty in recent updates). When you make them this durable you put non-meta players like myself in a rather unpleasant position. I can either not use the weapons and frames I enjoy, or I get used to emptying multiple magazines into enemies that in turn take my health from full to dead in less than a second. Either way, I'm not having fun.

I do understand it. DE has NEVER thought to look at how enemy design is messing up enjoyment for players in the past.

It was one reason I quit playing the First Division game, as it had spongy af enemies and got tiring quite quickly....warframe is sadly going the same route to me.

28 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

DE gave us the paracesis and now the shedu both of which have the ability to remove the adaptation, with the shedu being an AOE burst.....oh no we have to use weapons DESIGNED to fight them..........

All tenno weapons were designed to fight them. That was the whole point of the tenno using old-school guns and blades in the Old War, the sentients would adapt to and take over anything more high-tech. So much for the lore point of view.

From the game design point of view, designing only 2 out of 400+ weapons in the game to be viable against an entire faction is just moronic.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 2

I actually like the odd hit boxes as a test of one of the hardest skills to master in warframe.... Aiming,

Shooting off the arms of Sentients and watching them try to attack you is funny too. 

I like the concept of how the Sentients are difficult to kill, hope it doesn't change. 

• Like 3