Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I find Hunting on Plains with no Lure is more fun.

Redfeather75

Something about having to look for animals seems more fun than the poop and track minigame. Maybe it's just me. But it feels like I'm really hunting.

What if using the tranq rifle scope allows us to hear surround sound of distant animal noises like when fishing. Then we can use that as mental radar.

Edited by Redfeather75
  • Like 2

i greatly concur, when they talked about Hunting before either Landscape had launched, i envisioned.... actual Hunting. where your "RNG" is whatever creatures you come across, because Creatures aren't predetermined in nature.
just like with Fishing, i expected to go looking for fish, rather than throwing magical things in the water and taking out a Gear item that suddenly allows these Creatures to exist in a world that they otherwise are not allowed to exist in.

it makes it all feel so incredibly artificial, and prevents that perfect natural occurence of doing whatever you're doing on a Landscape, and seeing that "white whale" of a particularly interesting Creature, and Hunting it, then going back to what you were doing.
Landscapes are missing that so much. on the upside, the Earth Landscape since it does have some natural wildlife of any sort (unlike Venus which apparently is sterile of all life), and we're allowed to use those for Hunting, which is the sort of experience that Hunting/Fishing should've been seeking after.

having Wildlife exist in the world, so that those features add to the world there. instead of the Creatures normally not existing in the world, even though they're supposed to be Wildlife but these Landscapes don't really have that.

anyways, sure, if the Tranq Rifle also served as say, an "echolocator" in the sense of being able to get a general idea of where some Creatures are, and ideally if there was also "tracks" left on the Terrain where Creatures have been recently. mind that means more than just actual footprints, that could also be scratches/ruts on the ground, droppings, sheddings, partially eaten corpses or plants, Et Cetera.

Yes I hated hunting in OV. Because of how long it is, on low setting is hard to follow those animal steps, when some random dropship appears and your tracked animal is lost forever. I really liked running with rifle on the plains always looking around for that “why are you keep pinging!?”.

Whereas I vastly prefer hunting with Lures and direction. One of my least favourite things to do in open-world games is wander around aimlessly hoping to randomly stumble upon what I'm looking for. Or rather - because that's how it always ends up - googling a map of all the possible spawn locations and just doing laps between all of them. I've hunted Cetus Wisps and hated every moment of it. I've hunted Thumpers for the Nightwave weekly and hated every moment of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to accidentally running into animals milling about in the wild... Literally running into them, causing them to scatter because they blended in with the background... More power to people who prefer hunting that way. But if that were the only way to hunt, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

2 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

But if that were the only way to hunt, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

It shouldn't be the only way for sure haha. But it would make sense to occasionally be able to run into some wildlife without using lures. I'd love it if both our preferred ways of hunting were available. No reason for it to be one or the other 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

It shouldn't be the only way for sure haha. But it would make sense to occasionally be able to run into some wildlife without using lures. I'd love it if both our preferred ways of hunting were available. No reason for it to be one or the other 🙂

Agreed. The Plains have always had animals running around, so it made sense to be able to tranq those and get credit for them. I would not at all be opposed to Orb Vallis featuring some of the local wildlife running around randomly for the same reason. It's just... I got flashbacks to my Tower White research trying to find Condrocks, but only before they take off else they wouldn't drop any...