Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Non-primed weapon skins on primed weapons, wanting to hear your thoughts

TheLyricAinu

So, I recently got the normal Gram blueprint from Teshin as a Daily Login reward. Just maxed it 5 minutes ago, about to sell it, but I decided to take a look at my Gram Prime too, just to see how they looked compared to each other. And I thought to myself, "damn, I actually prefer the look of the normal Gram over Prime." I mean, I know I always have, but it's still weird to think I can't apply the skin to the weapon despite Primed Warframes being able to do it with their normal counterparts? Sorry, I can't word today, let me try and rephrase this.

Basically I think it'd be cool that, when you mastered a "base" weapon, if it has a Prime counterpart, that you unlock the skin for it. And yes, I am aware that'd be inconsistent as hell when you consider that's not a prerequisite for Prime Warframes, But some base Warframes Mesa can take a while to get compared to how lucky some people can be with relics and Prime parts. With base weapons, I don't think it's quite as bad? And not only would it provide more incentive for people to max them, but I guess in a manipulative sort of way, it benefits them more, too, since if people don't like grinding for mastery but do like fashion frame, it's a way to get MR passively? Sort of? I'm not sure. 

Sorry again if this makes no sense with how I phrased it lol. If need be I can try and clarify

• Like 3

So your saying that if I maxed the Braton, then I would unlock the ability to use the Normal Braon skin on any of the Braton variants? Braton Prime, Braton Vandal.

I do think there should be the ability to use the non prime skins on weapons. Some weapons I would definitely want to use it. I'm not sure about a system for it though.

18 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

You willing to share what that answer was?

As I recall it was sort of this. Prime frames having access to default looks was an unintended consequence of the system. Basically a bug. They left it alone because it didn't cause problems and was cool. They agreed it would be nice for weapons to work the same and would look into it.

i would love to be able to put non prime skins on prime weapons while keepiong the prime gubbins on the guns/swords/hammers.

i realise its only possible with a few weapons as the meshes for primes being different in most cases though.

i mean stradivar and its prime are totally different meshes, as does rubico, where as vectis just has extra bits on it. 

fames on the other hand just add "prime" bits as an extra accessory layer over the base frame.... if only we could pick and choose which bits to add... looking at you lobster butt and your friend chappy mc asschaps.

On 2020-02-22 at 8:15 PM, Tiltskillet said:

You willing to share what that answer was?

It had something to do with the weapon models not being compatible but they did say that they are working on it. The character models for primes/non primes were easier to accomplish for technical reasons.

Basically: technical reasons but it is something that theyve looked at. I'm sure someone will ask them again this year too so 🤷‍♂️

On 2020-02-22 at 1:53 PM, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

There’s this thing called the search bar. 

I know, but I don't always care to look if something like it has been made... which means "I never do" lol. No offence.

On 2020-02-23 at 10:11 AM, Yakhul said:

The Tekelu Collection of skins is basically what you are asking for OP. It has i believe, all of the base models of the current Prime weapons, and also some of the non primed ones.

... I actually didn't notice that. I have a few Tekelu skins, but not a lot. That's really good to know. Thanks!

On 2020-02-23 at 6:31 PM, (XB1)Cram Duahcim said:

It had something to do with the weapon models not being compatible but they did say that they are working on it. The character models for primes/non primes were easier to accomplish for technical reasons.

Basically: technical reasons but it is something that theyve looked at. I'm sure someone will ask them again this year too so 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I do remember that that's a huge reason why skins couldn't be applied to Zaws. I think the hitbox was tied to the mesh? But I didn't think it mattered for guns... but I am now remembering that the Boltor Brauva skin can't be applied for the reason you said. Thanks for clearing that up for me, since I'm not a programmer, and it feels like it should be easier than it is even though it isn't lol

On 2020-02-23 at 12:50 PM, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

As I recall it was sort of this. Prime frames having access to default looks was an unintended consequence of the system. Basically a bug. They left it alone because it didn't cause problems and was cool. They agreed it would be nice for weapons to work the same and would look into it.

Also did not know that. That's actually pretty cool. 

On 2020-02-23 at 2:50 PM, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

If it pulls plat and is easy to implement, consider a matter of when, not “if”.