Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Big Brain Theory about Corpus Founder [Elder Scrolls Connection]

CephalonZed

Corpus. It rolls off the tongue, yeah? Corrrrrrpus. Corpus. All right, the name sounds good, yeah? Corpus. 

All right, I'm going to introduce a completely different word to you all: Corprus.

If the name is familiar, you've likely played the Elder Scrolls game, Morrowind. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, you can check the hyperlink in the word itself or take the following summary. The Corprus disease is a disease created by a powerful being known as Dagoth Ur, which makes one immortal and physically powerful in exchange for rapid deterioration in physical form and mental acuity. Those afflicted with the disease often appear like zombies and would act as such due to substantial loss of brainpower and will. Immortal is the key phrase here in regards to this theory. 

The Corpus founder must have been a merchant, and he must have been successful too, to lay the foundations for the technological empire such as the one that exists in Warframe lore. Naturally, someone with that monetary and political power must have the innate and universal desire for immortality. He used his vast wealth to search for what no other merchant could hope to achieve, only to find a guaranteed way for immortality: an ancient disease propagated to swindle rich fools into making a "Devil's deal." 

Herein lies my primary connection: Corprus. Since the infected are practically immortal, it's impossible to kill off the disease without mass eradication, making it easy to maintain and keep secure for thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands, of years. Bottling it, selling it, and releasing it into the world of Warframe would be a threat comparable to the Infestation-- possibly worse since inoculation and possible genetic immunity/resistance to the disease would have died out long ago. 

I believe the Corpus founder while being desperate, was not stupid enough to release the disease into the world at large. He likely isolated himself off in a sealed environment, indefinitely prolonging his life. Hiring trusted contacts to lead his company for him while safely encapsulated, the founder inadvertently created the first iteration of the Board of Directors. As the founder's mind decayed due to the disease, the Board members likely took more and more liberties with spreading the "gospel" of the founder, creating secular groups. This division, in turn, leads to the Corpus was we know them: their name deriving from their founder's key to immortality, becoming bastardized over the course of the group's history. 

I thought of this purely out of a connection I made when I was low on blood. I saw that the names were similar and inspired this entire train of thought. Naturally, this is not a genuine theory, but one that can be entertained for the sake of comedy. What fun connections can we make if this is the canonical existence of the Corpus founder? 

Spoiler

Elves, orcs, daedra, dremora, and magic all exist(ed) in canon.

Magic, in the Elder Scrolls series, has some connection to the Void.

The Orokin are the descendants of an Elder Scrolls race of man, most likely Bretons.

Gold's prevalence and abundance in the Orokin Empire could relate to alchemy.

There are active Elder Scrolls that exist in the Warframe universe (since there are always Elder Scrolls)

Mods' unusual behavior is linked to magic. (Multishot, critical, exc.)

The world of Tamriel exists in our solar system

Don't know; this was fun to write and, I think, fun to share. What do you all think? Any other sort of fun things that could come out of this big brain theory? I'd love some replies! 

Edited by CephalonZed

14 hours ago, Redfeather75 said:

I like how creepy you make it sound. I would hope it is like resident evil atmosphere.

Morrowind definitely has a Resident Evil vibe when the character is surrounded by Corprus. When the player character itself is infected, people react to your appearance in conversation. That kind of ugliness definitely would make a Corpus director never want to show his face. Maybe he tried, once, and that's where the first iteration of Corpus helmets came from?

EDIT: Clarification's sake: it's more like Resident Evil Survivor than any actual horror game. I don't think Morrowind ever gets scary?

Edited by CephalonZed

Oro == Gold

Kin == People
This would make them Eldar Elves, the Chimer. Hmm...I'm not familiar with the specifics but weren't the 'dwarves' an offshoot of the Chimer as well? Perhaps the connection could also apply to the dwarves disappearance?

Edited by Morthal
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CephalonZed said:

The Orokin are the descendants of an Elder Scrolls race of man, most likely Bretons.

Gold's prevalence and abundance in the Orokin Empire could relate to alchemy.

Nah nah nah. The orokin made their combat robots out of a yellow metal. You know who else did that as well? The Dwemer. And it just so happens the last Dwemer contracted Corprus. Yagrum Bagarn confirmed Corpus founder. Might also explain the Corpus fascination with big fat robot spiders.

Edited by SordidDreams

1 hour ago, SordidDreams said:

Nah nah nah. The orokin made their combat robots out of a yellow metal. You know who else did that as well? The Dwemer. And it just so happens the last Dwemer contracted Corprus. Yagrum Bagarn confirmed Corpus founder. Might also explain the Corpus fascination with big fat robot spiders.

*SPOILER*
Divayth Fyr is the man in the wall.

On 2020-02-23 at 3:45 PM, Morthal said:

Oro == Gold

Kin == People
This would make them Eldar Elves, the Chimer. Hmm...I'm not familiar with the specifics but weren't the 'dwarves' an offshoot of the Chimer as well? Perhaps the connection could also apply to the dwarves disappearance?

The Chimer, as a species, were generally extinct during the events of Skyrim. If we were to continue the timeline, I don't think their population of 1 would have increased, especially to encompass an entire empire. 

Dwarves, in Elder Scrolls lore, are elves called Dwemer. The "-mer", in general, denotes a race of magical heritage (take words like Gamer and Boomer at your own discretion). All of the Mer, in this case, are connected: Dunmer (Dark Elves), Altmer (High Elves), Bosmer (Wood Elves), Falmer (Snow Elves), Chimer (Velothi), Dwemer (Dwarves), Orismer (Orcs): they're all elves in Elder Scrolls canon. To be precise about the dwarven extinction, the dwarves attempted to artificially become gods, only for them to wipe out all of their presence on the mortal realm (leaving behind one notable anomaly). Their tools were taken and used, and gods were made-- artificial gods. 

Edited by CephalonZed