Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IO Fail

HackYouDaily

Question

I've recently got back into warframe and I've had nothing but issues. I've reinstalled several times, updated GPU drivers, check HDD (its in good condition). I can't even verify the download cache without it crashing and leaving me in a cycle that I can't get out of unless I reinstall once again. I loved this game but its been giving me nothing but headaches trying to troubleshoot. 

Edited by HackYouDaily

17 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, HackYouDaily said:

I've recently got back into warframe and I've had nothing but issues.

Have you checked your specs against the updated minimum? It was increased a while back. If it just won’t work no matter what you try, perhaps you have insufficient specs?

On 2020-02-23 at 8:50 PM, taiiat said:

you haven't described anything at all. what even is the problem, what isn't right. you didn't explain anything to us.

I explained the problem in the header. IO fail the window that pops up when it crashes. I can play the game but it’s a game of roulette as to when the next crash will happen. It doesn’t happen on any specific missions or things like that it just randomly decides to crash and give IO fail as the cause. The problem is I don’t know why this is happening and have done everything asked on the website to rule out that it’s my computer with the issue. My specs are more than capable of running the game, my drivers are up to date, I have enough space for the game, my HDD is in good health. What more do you want? I’ve sent logs to the devs and received nothing but instructions to do what I have already done to trouble shoot the game I am not new to technology by any means.

43 minutes ago, HackYouDaily said:

I explained the problem in the header.

nothing was explained.
until i prompted you, you didn't even give any shred of detail as to what the problem even was.

if you expect surprise tech support, information about the situation is required, not just telling people that you think it isn't __'s fault.

Yeah the problem is IO fail error when nothing is wrong with my system or it’s components. There’s nothing more to explain when I made it clear the game kept crashing and I did everything asked of me to troubleshoot. IO fail on its own is indication of a problem. Don’t tell me I didn’t explain the issue when I clearly did. My game wouldn’t run as expected and in turn I got IO fail constantly AFTER I already followed the steps on the IO fail error page on warframes website. I’ve already sent my logs to devs prior to posting this, you speak to me as though I am a child. I will not be seeking help from this forum anymore and will in courage my viewers to do the same after this ridiculous incident on your part. Have a great day.

3 hours ago, HackYouDaily said:

Yeah the problem is IO fail error when nothing is wrong with my system or it’s components. There’s nothing more to explain when I made it clear the game kept crashing and I did everything asked of me to troubleshoot. IO fail on its own is indication of a problem. Don’t tell me I didn’t explain the issue when I clearly did. My game wouldn’t run as expected and in turn I got IO fail constantly AFTER I already followed the steps on the IO fail error page on warframes website. I’ve already sent my logs to devs prior to posting this, you speak to me as though I am a child. I will not be seeking help from this forum anymore and will in courage my viewers to do the same after this ridiculous incident on your part. Have a great day.

Big streamer huh? In all honesty after this post I really do see you as a child. Throwing a fit and all.

If you want to receive help you need to provide accurate data and as much of it as you possibly can. Two letters in the topic does not constitute accurate data. You didn't even write your specs instead saying only that they are certainly good enough. Because compatibility issues are not something we ever faced right?

the game kept crashing

so... both the Launcher and the Game periodically Crash with no apparent pattern? it's taken a lot of extra words to be able to determine here if it's just the Launcher, just the Game, or apparently both. 
just writing IO Fail IO Fail IO Fail IO Fail IO Fail IO Fail IO Fail IO Fail over and over again tells people almost nothing. once was enough, after that comes providing whatever details that can help another human being understand what you were experiencing since they aren't sitting right next to you.

go read the Game and Launcher Logs if/when they Crash and look near the ends of the Files (since the Crashing would interrupt the writing to File) for entries labeled as Error, Critical, possibly Warning, Et Cetera.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HackYouDaily said:

What more do you want?

A link to the website you use? A list of your specs? It really does help if you provide adequate ⎌information. That way people know what you have tried and what your system is. It probably also wouldn’t hurt to state what the error code was (I.e. Error code 1, or 2 or 3 etc).

I will not be seeking help from this forum anymore and will in courage my viewers to do the same after this ridiculous incident on your part. Have a great day.

So, one person asking you for some information is enough to put you off? You seem to be overreacting a little here.

• Like 2

when i see IO fail over and over, i cant help but want to ask the obvious, is this IO fail an assumption or is there an actual message (usually complete with error code) shown somewhere and if so can you provide a picture of said error/code, also if this happens a LOT, esp after reinstalls etc, i would be more tempted to check your hard disk over before assuming its the game, esp if you have an older low quality SSD, those things just up and fail in areas without much warning and arent recoverable or as reuseable as conventional drives which can just map out bad areas.

To check and test the drive where warframe is installed, try opening your start menu and typing CMD, rightmouse on the CMD app that shows up and launch it with admin access, enter CHKDSK <DRIVELETTER WHERE WARFRAME IS> /F /R and see what happens and if any errors show up on the drive.

The above cant hurt and if there is an issue you will know immeditaly, its something to do until you can provide more accurate information for people to provide more accurate help.

• Like 1

On 2020-02-25 at 11:57 PM, HackYouDaily said:

I am a child. I will not be seeking help from this forum anymore and will in courage my viewers to do the same after this ridiculous incident on your part. Have a great day.

do you think that's a threat anyone cares about?   Either you want help, or you want to rant ... you decide.

1)its obviously not the game itself, thousands are playing without issue

2)problems like this have usual fixes, which is why people are giving the same advice

3)the face that no one has given you a fix that works, does not mean they aren't trying, or their advice is worthless

4)you are ASKING for help, no one is under any obligation to give you that help, or spend any time trying to help you .... do not think you are entitled to get anything here

Take a deep breath, put your frustrations aside and yes, go through the same steps again. Verify everything again. do the diagnostics advised.  I like Staples PC support desk, but BestBuy have some (not all) good people.  A local PC fix-it store is good too.  All these people do it for a living and have the tools and software to figure it out.

BTW: ask ALL of your viewers how to spell "in courage" 

• Like 3

im having the same problem as this guy where my game literally just crashes and says IO fail, and I have followed the instructions to fix this issue but it doesn't work at all. I can sometimes play the game, but then it will just randomly crash and say IO fail.  my computers specs completely dominate the requirements so that's a check. my disk that has warframe installed on has an extra 400 GB to spare so that's also a check. my other drive, C, has an extra 30 GB. I don't use any external drives so no problem there. made an exception for warframe with the firewall stuff, and my drives are completely fine and not corrupt. ive done everything that the IO fail thing says and the game still crashes and says IO fail. this has never happened before in the past, and has only started to do this since I came back to the game, which was about 2 days ago. any solutions or at least a tip that might help?

• Like 1

I have to agree with this kid, Io failure is literally the only thing that can be said about this error. Its a link that warframe sends you to, simply googling this would make ya'll look less stupid then you look.

Instead of being helpful all these people just being a bunch of elitist punks, trolls, and bullies. Obviously everyone in this forum has never had this problem and there for can not trouble shoot the problem with absolutely no experience what so ever

Edited by systemphantom
typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, systemphantom said:

I have to agree with this kid, Io failure is literally the only thing that can be said about this error. Its a link that warframe sends you to, simply googling this would make ya'll look less stupid then you look.

Instead of being helpful all these people just being a bunch of elitist punks, trolls, and bullies. Obviously everyone in this forum has never had this problem and there for can not trouble shoot the problem with absolutely no experience what so ever

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Nekros

Hey! Deep thread necro here, I know. But this is one of the few search results that come up for this kind of thing, and I'm trying to do my service by helping the next person out who stumbles on this by providing some more technical fiddly bits (I'm a game dev, but not for Warframe).

In your logs, such as this:
C:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Local\Warframe\EE.log

You might have an error like this:
###.### Sys [Info]: ReadFileEx Error 23 ?:\?????\Steam\SteamApps\common\Warframe\Cache.Windows\F.Texture.cache [Offset: 0x00000000629B0000]

(If you're more sophisticated, you might also see a file read failure when looking at a Windows ETW trace while trying to debug this, but that's just for any of you other programmers out there. Procmon is also powered by ETW if you weren't aware, and didn't want to dig into full-on XPerf/WPR+WPA.)

The numbers in front are probably just the timestamp. I think it's in seconds since the process started.
The name in front is probably the logging category. The type in brackets is probably the severity (I have no idea why it's 'info', it should probably be 'error')
This is all normal logging system stuff, any decent game engine has stuff like this.

ReadFileEx is just Windows file read stuff, it's super normal, extremely common.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/fileapi/nf-fileapi-readfileex

The file location is obvious. The offset is probably the hexadecimal offset into the file that it was trying to read, in bytes.
You can use the Windows calculator in programmer mode to convert this if you care enough.

Error 23 COULD be '23' (decimal) or '0x23' (hexadecimal), you shouldn't trust programmers to format their error logs consistently.
Either way, this number is a Win32 error code (not NT, for you programmers out there, but you should know this already).
In this case, there's no '0x23', but there IS a 23, so it's likely that.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/system-error-codes--0-499-

Win32 error 23 is ERROR_CRC... that's ominous as f*ck... You shouldn't ever see that.
That implies your file isn't corrupt... your file SYSTEM is corrupt. Way worse.
This is where 'chkdsk' comes in.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk

Now, you can go ahead and just run 'chkdsk' from command prompt, and it might not tell you anything is wrong, and that might just be you using it wrong.
You've got to tell it what drive to look at, since by default I think it just checks whatever drive you run it from, which might not be the one you have your stuff on.
So, either switch drives in the command prompt first, or specify it on the command line arguments (the docs I linked show how to do that).

If chkdsk completes in like a minute or so, you probably didn't run it hard enough, and it's not really checking the things you want it to look at.
Now, this can get complicated if you've got Warframe installed on the same drive as your OS drive, since to do the REAL scan, it's going to need to lock down the drive and kick everyone out of the pool.
If it's a separate drive, this should be easy enough. If all your junk is on one drive though, it's going to need to queue it up to scan it on a reboot so it can avoid fighting with the OS while it's fully running.

Regardless, your goal is to have it look at your actual DISK, so you want to run `MYDRIVE:\>chkdsk /r`.
This is probably going to take HOURS. If not, you're probably not running it correctly and it's not checking deep enough.

When you see sh*t like this, you know you're f*cked:
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 4D80E
of name \???\Steam\SteamApps\common\Warframe\Cache.Windows\F.Texture.cache.

That's likely not the only file you'll see listed. Your drive is probably actively dying.
It's time to abandon ship.

mild necro, but i also started getting this error constantly around the same time they released booba shaman. the disk check thing didnt work for me, and trying to do the force dive thing just told me i needed and app from the microsoft store

what DID work was finding the error file from the EE log and deleting it (misc.cache, in my case). then i restarted the launcher, it re-downloaded the whole thing, and i have no more errors.

• Like 1

Necro again, if only to confirm that what Ibilliss said worked for me as well.

I did everything the error webpage says to do in case of IO failure and nothing worked, but what Ibilliss said did do the trick. Thanks!

Le 02/12/2022 à 22:18, Ibilliss a dit :

mild necro, but i also started getting this error constantly around the same time they released booba shaman. the disk check thing didnt work for me, and trying to do the force dive thing just told me i needed and app from the microsoft store

what DID work was finding the error file from the EE log and deleting it (misc.cache, in my case). then i restarted the launcher, it re-downloaded the whole thing, and i have no more errors.