Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

SO vs ESO

Canach

Question

I'm fairly new to farming focus and have limited time to team with my friends. 

In terms of using SO or ESO to farm for focus, is ESO really faster?

Right now I'm running a 4-pip lens on a Nuke-Level Volt (with  2-pips on weapons) and consistantly averaging about 105k in 8-wave runs with PUG, or up to more like 125k with my friends.

I have also have Saryn and Nova, my friends also have those plus Trinity - so there's plenty of flexibilty in how we build a team. There's an opinion in the group that the increased difficulty for ESO makes it less effective for farming focus than just doing normal SO - and PUGing it seems to bear that out.

1. Are you guys getting more focus farming ESO than SO?
  2. If not, what is the main reason players run ESO?
Edited by Canach

9 answers to this question

1. ESO is generally better for Focus farming due to the higher levels, but that depends on the enemy and tile rotation for the week. That means if you get largely Infested and Corrupted, you won't be getting that much Affinity unless you kill the entire tile frequently.
  2. I mainly use ESO as an Affinity farm and Radiant Relics in case I'm short on Void Traces. Do note that ESO only allows Rank 30 Warframes, so SO is an okay Affinity farm for Warframes.

9 hours ago, Canach said:

I'm fairly new to farming focus and have limited time to team with my friends. 

In terms of using SO or ESO to farm for focus, is ESO really faster?

Right now I'm running a 4-pip lens on a Nuke-Level Volt (with  2-pips on weapons) and consistantly averaging about 105k in 8-wave runs with PUG, or up to more like 125k with my friends.

I have also have Saryn and Nova, my friends also have those plus Trinity - so there's plenty of flexibilty in how we build a team. There's an opinion in the group that the increased difficulty for ESO makes it less effective for farming focus than just doing normal SO - and PUGing it seems to bear that out.

1. Are you guys getting more focus farming ESO than SO?
  2. If not, what is the main reason players run ESO?

Focus / affinity scales with the enemy level.

Therefore ESO is better than SO.

I use my Volt Prime for SO and ESO. In So you should have no problem killing and staying alive. In ESO you need to be a little more careful of taking damage.

Have fun and may RNG be forever in your favor.

I use SO for leveling frames and weapons and ESO for focus farming (never liked the whole stealth killing). 

Use a Smeeta Kavat (with Charm mod) to get a chance to get affinity bonus to get a good spike of focus. 

Its pot luck sadly, there are so many bade tile sets that even with frames that nuke maps still struggle to get 10k, ok tiles can average 20-30k.

However when you get a sweet tile and the kavat buff, oh yeh almost got 100k for that one round. 

8 hours ago, Jackdarsan said:

I use SO for leveling frames and weapons and ESO for focus farming (never liked the whole stealth killing). ...

Is ESO really better than SO? If you compare effort and focus gain? It heavily depends on tile/enemy selection, I agree..

I was playing ESO several times and it seemed to me that SO is giving almost the same focus numbers, it is safer, enemies killed fast. I'm getting now 150-200k on SO, waves 10-14. Saryn+Kavat+Eidolon lens+Affinity booster. Then I play few normal/relic missions and I'm on daily-cap, anyway..

The difference in affinity gain between SO and ESO enemies is not so relevant. Looking how affinity gain from enemy kills is calculated (see the wiki for that), it is better to kill a lot of middle-level enemies than fewer high level enemies (quantity wins over quality), BUT

don't think only in affinity terms, think about maximizing your overall profit. SO and ESO provide also other rewards: Khora in SO, Braton Vandal, Lato Vandal and Radiant relics in ESO.

If your killing rate is almost the same between SO and ESO, once you have farmed Khora in SO there is no reason to stuck there, ESO provides by far better collateral rewards. With a Saryn is super easy to cheese ESO, and if you also have a Trinity friend it will become so trivial 

17 hours ago, vegetosayajin said:

the effort is the same - bring nuke frames, press 1 or two buttons = grofit

I tested ESO yesterday 2 runs: 3players, ending 9 wave, 100-120k focus. And at the end I guess I get about the same focus as in SO (9 waves). 

Even if ESO gives a little more, enemies after wave ~6 are a little slower to kill. I had to revive my Kavat and my co-players (not during focus-gain). And there was 1 bad tileset where I died instantly at the beginning in crossfire (I have adaptation mod). 

SO allows you easily to farm focus on waves 10-15 where there are usualy higher focus-gains (overall focus gain 200k+ in 13-14waves). Anyway, I guess I will be playing both, first SO to easy-fluent gain focus and then ESO for rewards/relics I still don't have..

Edited by (PS4)shann_cz