Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Baruuk, Serene Storm inconsistency.

Morthal

An issue that bothers me and no doubt any other long time Baruuk users, has been a restriction for energy pad working, while Serene Storm is active. I can fully understand why Elude doesn't, but Serene Storm has it's own resource pool and blocking Baruuk from gaining energy in order to maintain survivability in the form of Desolate Hands, just feels wrong.

As an example to another Warframe who does not suffer this issue, Equinox can obtain energy from pads while Pacify & Provoke is active and I wish Baruuk's Serene Storm would allow the same.

Edited by Morthal

5 hours ago, Syasob said:

All channeled abilities block energy restore from most sources. Pacify&Provoke is toggle ability, not channeled.

Did you not read the part where he said that "but Serene Storm has it's own resource pool" or you just decided to ignore it and pretend to be a smart guy?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Syasob said:

All channeled abilities block energy restore from most sources. Pacify&Provoke is toggle ability, not channeled.

It's usually the case where a Drain ability does not drain over time, and instead drains per instance, the ability does not block regen. Examples include Equinox, who drains energy per target affected, and Nekros, who drains per enemy Desecrated.

Since Baruuk has a separate resource pool, I'm genuinely shocked that DE have let this happen.

Something that's also a surprise is Ivara's Artemis Bow, which drains per arrow shot, and I've found that it also blocks regen, which is a bit of a bugger when you're low, go into your Stealth Arrow to recover, and you still can't even though you toggle off Prowl...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, -HoB-KurtOn said:

Did you not read the part where he said that "but Serene Storm has it's own resource pool" or you just decided to ignore it and pretend to be a smart guy?

I've read it and my statement still stands: Serene Storm drains resource over time so it's a channeled ability and it prevents energy restore from pads.

9 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

It's usually the case where a Drain ability does not drain over time, and instead drains per instance, the ability does not block regen. Examples include Equinox, who drains energy per target affected, and Nekros, who drains per enemy Desecrated.

Since Baruuk has a separate resource pool, I'm genuinely shocked that DE have let this happen.

Something that's also a surprise is Ivara's Artemis Bow, which drains per arrow shot, and I've found that it also blocks regen, which is a bit of a bugger when you're low, go into your Stealth Arrow to recover, and you still can't even though you toggle off Prowl...

I'm struggling to get why you all're so focused on Baruuk's Restraint. Do you want Serene Storm to block Restraint's regen while active?

2 hours ago, Syasob said:

I'm struggling to get why you all're so focused on Baruuk's Restraint. Do you want Serene Storm to block Restraint's regen while active?

Okay, I see what you're asking, you're saying that Serene Storm is an Ability and that Abilities that Drain Energy block Energy regen.

But here's why we're focused on Restraint:

DE specifically stated when creating Baruuk that Restraint is not Energy. DE made Restraint functionally separate from Energy so that you can use Restraint to fuel Serene Storm when Baruuk has 0 Energy. Restraint is not, and never has been, Energy.

Imagine it this way, what if I said to you, 'Oh Artemis Bow is draining Energy per Arrow, that's why you can't pick up Ammo for your regular Bow from an Ammo Restore pad.' That wouldn't make sense either.

That's the same kind of separation here. Restraint is a separate resource and using it should not block another resource.

So yes, it's an Ability, and it's a drain-over-time ability, but it doesn't use Energy, so why does it block Energy Regen?

See what we're saying now?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Imagine it this way, what if I said to you, 'Oh Artemis Bow is draining Energy per Arrow, that's why you can't pick up Ammo for your regular Bow from an Ammo Restore pad.'

Regular bow shots don't generate energy for Artemis. While casting abilities (for energy ofc) does generate restraint for Serene Storm.

But I got what you're talking about though it still doesn't look like inconsistency to me :clem:

Just now, Syasob said:

While casting abilities (for energy ofc) does generate restraint for Serene Storm.

Hmmmmmm, how about a different comparison;

You use Energy and take damage (or use his Augments) to generate Rhino's Iron Skin. Iron Skin is a form of 'overshield' that has its own separate Health pool. While you've used Energy to create it, having it active does not impair Energy or Health regen methods. Taking damage to it (draining it) does not impair those methods either. Using the ability creates a separate resource and so does not interfere with any of the base resources used to create it.

Inaros sacrifices Health to create his Scarab Armour, but once the ability is active you can then immediately start gaining Health back through any and every means.

The mechanic is that you're storing something using Energy to build it up, and then by using that separate something you can bypass the problems of Energy.

That mechanic should not cause further problems for Energy when you come to use it, because it's specifically supposed to be a bypass.

Serene Storm probably inherent the same code and behavior of all channeled abilities. Its energy drain per second is set to 0, but it still blocks most energy regen like other channeled abilities. The same goes to Ivara's Artemis Bow.

Pacify & Provoke and Desecrate are different type of abilities. Think of them as single-target, one-time cast abilities that automatically cast on any available target. The toggle is used to toggle on/off auto casting instead of activating the ability.

This is just my theory, so I could be wrong. But if that's the case, I personally don't think Serene Storm is inconsistent.

Edited by yles9056

8 hours ago, yles9056 said:

This is just my theory, so I could be wrong.

It's our theory too ^^

Well, those of us bothered by the problem, that is.

Good theory there, too, for Baruuk at least, because that may be the case. It shouldn't be, but I'm guessing it is. Ivara, on the other hand, absolutely should function like Desecrate or P/P, because it's per instance of an event happening drain, not over time.

We'll have to see what DE are doing in this mainline Quality of Life update in the DevStream tomorrow.