Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Turret In Defense Missions

McLeige

first of all, no, I do not think Defense missions are too hard, I regularly get to wave 20-30 in level 50 and higher areas.

I was just brainstorming while waking up this morning, and thinking about how bland defense missions are.

at wave 5 heavy/ancients start spawning, wave 10 more heavy/ancients, wave 15, same thing, etc until at wave 30 ish everything is more than double the starting level and its 90% heavy/ancients. 

This isnt really fun gameplay wise, I have never liked shooting at bullet-sponge enemys.

So i figured, what if Defense missions were slightly altered and a new gameplay mechanic was introduced in them that isnt seen in any of the other mission types?

Thus we introduce a Tenno mounted Turret. it would appear at wave 5 and stay there from then on in a well placed location on every defense such that it could swivel and cover every route to the cryopod. It would shoot torid type shots with a 1-2 meter splash but would be explosion damage type and not leave any sort of cloud, and do 100-200 damage a hit to enemys in that splash zone. Fire rate would be about 1 per second. It would have its own HP and shield bar like the cryopod does, but not nearly as strong, and it would only be targetable by enemys if a player was currently inside controlling it.

At wave 5 any player can enter it and use it for 15 seconds once. then it deactivates for the remainder of the wave for all players. past wave 5 it would be useable by tenno any wave but they are required to get at least 10 kills in that wave to use it for 15 seconds again. If the turret were to be destroyed, any 10 enemy kills would heal the turret 20%, such that 50 total enemy kills from all currently-on-map players would have them a fully functioning turret again (where you'd need to get 10 more personal kills for access to use it, etc)

This seems really overpowered, but to make defense more interesting, at wave 5 faction specific bosses would spawn.

They would have access to their full repritoire of attacks and abilities, but would be increased in physical size so you could pick them out of a crowd easier, and only have about half their normal HP and shields if you fought them normally. These "super-heavys" would only take 20% damage from any tenno gun, but take 100% damage from the tenno turret. Past wave 5 they would randomly spawn, and garunteed at least one would spawn at every 5 wave increment. randomly spawning as well would allow up to a max of 3 of the super heavy enemys to be on the field as well. These enemys would be named genericly, and wouldnt have the extremely good drop tables like the actual bosses have, would not drop blueprints or weapon parts, etc. they would have drop tables similar to heavy/ancient enemys, but slightly better, since they are harder.

numbers and values could be adjusted, but this seems like it would be really fun, and spawn player made challanges such as not using the turret ever, or only turret solo play, etc.

what do you all think?

I would agree if the turrets appear in wave 10 ongoing, but it still needs to be a destructible object where in it has its own HP and once it's destroyed, you need to meet the requirements before getting the turret is repaired or replaced (as you've mentioned on your topic). I have a feeling that it would become useless in around wave 50, and it won't be useful if:

-the host cannot support the group/the whole team is lagging

-the turret user is lagging

I love the idea. however i rather see turrets that provide debuffs and buffs.

kinda off topic, when this game first opened up. getting to wave 20-25 was pretty big. now with all the new weapons and more and more players getting better geared. its very common and easy.

So many arbitrary restrictions for what? 
Basically you have an AOE turret, (kind of) strong at level 6 defense. And mostly useless once you get it up to higher levels.
Might as well use an Ogris/Ignis and get way more aoe damage without having to worry about if I can use them yet or not. 
Minibosses are a fine idea, except they make solo defense way more difficult, but making them weak to a turret you only get 15 seconds to use is bad. 
Making them take severely reduced damage on top of their expectedly high armor is bad. Having multiple of these running around levels is bad. We want to get away from the Frost/Vauban absolutely necessary for high level defense playstyle, not encourage it. 
Turrets are cool, yours isn't, your changes to defense to make your turret "viable" and "balanced" makes everything worse, and just adjusting numbers and values won't fix that. 

I'm going to steal the idea from Alien Swarm (A free game available from Steam), what about making the turret deployable but taking up a weapon slot (possibly secondary, also because of Acrid)?

Or what about making it a Sentinel? Normally flies around you with weapon stowed (does not do anything), press J and it lands, deploys feet and weapons and becomes a turret. And detaches from player. Then you can get close again, press J again to stow and fly with you again.

As for stats and everything else, it's exactly the same as Void Defence turrets. Insta-Gib Lazor with infinite range with a cooldown and 45° of fire arc, that is player-activated.

how about a auto turret you can craft and place? i think it would be better and more easier. oooh and mabey the ability to upgrade that turret before a missions and the turret can last mabey even 4 defense games so it isn't under balanced on the upgraded ones as that might cost some materials and when you upgrade a turret it keep the amount of times it can be spawned it had before like for example you use a regular one once and upgrade it it will still have 3 uses left so that way upgrading cant be abused to get more uses out of it

Edited by Yakasuki

At wave 5 any player can enter it and use it for 15 seconds once. then it deactivates for the remainder of the wave for all players. past wave 5 it would be useable by tenno any wave but they are required to get at least 10 kills in that wave to use it for 15 seconds again. If the turret were to be destroyed, any 10 enemy kills would heal the turret 20%, such that 50 total enemy kills from all currently-on-map players would have them a fully functioning turret again (where you'd need to get 10 more personal kills for access to use it, etc)

i'd rather see the Turret having 5 'shells' to fire per wave, cumulative. once empty, it is unusable until next wave when it gets more ammo by some means, that be maybe ammo drops the Lotus warps in(taken to the turret Datamass style), or some mechanisms that manufacture the ammmo(i'd prefer the ammo being warped in like Life Support Pods).

maybe, i guess. idunno. cumulative means smart Tenno save the turret for critical situations, but it also could be pretty easymode if you stack up a lot of shells and fire a lot of them.

if the turret is destroyed, on the next extraction wave, it will be available again, but have lost all the ammo it had. 

as for the shells themselves, i don't really know what a turret should do that is useful, but not too useful, not useless damage, but also not damage that will just play the wave for you.

i don't like instagib lasers or just explosions though.

how about a auto turret you can craft and place? i think it would be better and more easier. oooh and mabey the ability to upgrade that turret before a missions and the turret can last mabey even 4 defense games so it isn't under balanced on the upgraded ones as that might cost some materials and when you upgrade a turret it keep the amount of times it can be spawned it had before like for example you use a regular one once and upgrade it it will still have 3 uses left so that way upgrading cant be abused to get more uses out of it

+1 this, prefer a craft & 1 time use item.

1 turret per player per game. (prevent spamming)

turret with regenning hp & shield

with this DE have new ideas for clan techs... like + xx to turret's armor and stuff