Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sulfur, Destruction Incarnate (Warframe Concept)

EvasionChaos

Overview

A Warframe with a more direct, simple playstyle, Sulfur's abilities revolve around explosions, explosions, and more explosions. He utilizes Blast damage as both a weapon for complete annihilation and a utility for movement and power.

"Where others see destruction, Sulfur sees art. When stealth fails and the barrels ignite, even the sound of gunfire pales in comparison to his Blast-based abilities. The battlefield constantly trembles with Sulfur on the front lines."

Stats (At Level 30)

Armor: 400

Energy: 300

Health: 450

Shield: 325

Sprint Speed: 1.0

Abilities

Note: Values with a letter in parenthesis next to them means that that value scales with a stat:

(S) = Strength

(D) = Duration

(R) = Range

All Energy costs scale with efficiency, of course. 

If there is no letter next to a numerical value, it does not scale.

Passive

Blast procs don't knock down Sulfur, but rather increase his ability Strength by 20% on the next cast. Explosive Barrels and Death Orbs are marked on the mini map and, when destroyed, drop 3 health and energy orbs.

Note: As a master of blowing things up, Sulfur knows how to take an explosion. Also, turning explosive barrels into a bonus rather than a hindrance is a cool idea to me.

Ability 1

Detonation

Cost: 25 - 50 Energy

Pressing creates a 5m-radius (R) explosion at the crosshairs up to 50m (R) for 700 Blast damage (S), knocking enemies down. Holding creates a 10m-radius (R) explosion for 900 Blast damage (S) and ragdolls enemies.

Note: A simple first ability that's also useful, unlike some 1's (looking at you, Soul Punch).

Ability 2

Propulsion

Cost: 15 Energy

Create an explosion directly behind Sulfur and launch him 12m towards the crosshair (the explosion is the same as the 5m-radius explosion in the 1st ability, damage and all). Slide to keep up the momentum. During the dash, enemies he hits take 250 Impact damage (S) and proc Impact. Increased by 100% on enemies already affected by an Impact proc, and increased by 200% on enemies affected by a Blast proc.

Note: I wanted to give him a quick movement ability with some minor CC and damage. The main purpose is for animation cancelling (like Gauss' Mach Rush) and getting out of a sticky situation fast.

Ability 3

Blast Shield

Cost: 50 Energy on initial cast, then 10 energy per second.

Shelter in place and create small, constant explosions around Sulfur, granting him 100% damage resistance. Enemies shooting at him have their shots bounced right back at their guns, disarming them with an Impact proc and dealing +50% of the projectile's damage as Puncture damage (S). Projectiles bounce back so fast that they also strip 25% of their armor. Enemies within 2m of Sulfur are ragdolled back, taking 100 Blast damage (S) and stripping 100% their armor. In this state, Sulfur is immune to melee damage.

Note: Of course, survivability is key on Warframes these days, so I gave him a powerful self-defense tool in exchange for movement. The strategy here is to let the enemies disarm themselves and then clean them up. Alternatively, you can drop yourself on top of a heavy unit, strip their armor, then go to town.

Ability 4

Ground Zero

Cost: 100 Energy on initial cast, then 50 energy per second

Hold to stop in place and build up Sulfur's rage to charge an ultimate explosion. Enemies run away from you and seek cover (not that it'll help). Releasing the button will cause Sulfur to expel the energy he's built up in the form of a devastating explosion over 2 seconds, dealing 1000 damage per second plus 10 damage per 1 Energy charged (S) and stripping 10% of the enemies' armor per second, going up by 5% for every second spent charging. The explosion reaches as far as 30 meters (R) and can go through walls. Enemies take 7 seconds to recover from the Blast proc.

Note: Finally, I wanted a powerful trade-off ability. A decision to either use a room-clearing ability at the cost of most, if not all, of your energy, or to use a weaker version of this ability in exchange for saving some of your energy for lesser battles and survivability.

Possible Lore: Originally designed for infiltration and sabotage, the Orokin soon realized that Sulfur's powerful explosive abilities could prove useful on the front lines. Thus, all stealth capabilities were removed in exchange for optimizing his destructive potential (This could also play into possible augments, such as making his 1 into a noiseless, delayed explosion that can be planted on enemies.)

I'd love to draw him but I don't draw. I'm a writer lol.

Edited by EvasionChaos
Balancing, specification, added flavor text

43 minutes ago, EvasionChaos said:

Detonation

This ability either sucks lr is decent depending on its casting time.

44 minutes ago, EvasionChaos said:

Propulsion

Sounds like bakugo and I'm fine with it.

45 minutes ago, EvasionChaos said:

Blast Shield

Cost: 50 Energy on initial cast, then 10 energy per second.

Shelter in place and create small, constant explosions around Sulfur, granting him 100% damage resistance. Enemies shooting at him have their shots bounced right back at their guns, destroying them and disarming them with an Impact proc and dealing +50% of the projectile's damage as Puncture damage (S). Projectiles bounce back so fast that they also strip 25% of their armor. Enemies within 2m of Sulfur are ragdolled back, taking 100 Blast damage (S) and stripping 100% their armor.

Cant exist because thr energy system is broken in warframe therefore the player can easily gain 100 damage reduction with an 100% uptime. Lower the DR to 90 and reduce the upkeep cost.

47 minutes ago, EvasionChaos said:

Ground Zero

Cost: 100 Energy on initial cast, then 50 energy per second

Hold to stop and build up Sulfur's rage to charge an ultimate explosion. Enemies run away from you and seek cover (not that it'll help). Releasing the button will cause Sulfur to expel the energy he's built up in the form of a devastating explosion over 2 seconds, dealing 1000 damage per second plus 500 damage per 50 Energy charged (S) and stripping 10% of the enemies' armor per second, going up by 5% every second. The explosion reaches as far as 30 meters (R) and can go through walls. Enemies take 7 seconds to recover from the Blast proc.

Can't exist because low level farming is a thing. Old ember got nerfed because it could easily clear low level enemies , this skill is better at than old world on fire.

49 minutes ago, EvasionChaos said:

Stats

Armor: 400

Energy: 400

Health: 450

Shield: 300

Sprint Speed: 1.0

Clarify if these are base stats or stats at lvl 30. If these are stats at lvl 30 , you need to change the energy to comply with standard scaling.

11 hours ago, keikogi said:

Cant exist because thr energy system is broken in warframe therefore the player can easily gain 100 damage reduction with an 100% uptime. Lower the DR to 90 and reduce the upkeep cost.

The balance here is the fact that mobility is stopped for the duration of the ability. It's to set up for a counter attack rather than running through a mission completely invincible. I guess a higher energy drain would keep it from being spammed. Even if a high-efficiency armor stripping build was made, I don't think it'd be too broken considering that ability damage would be generally lower than other builds with him, but probably lowering the DR so people don't just sit on a defense point to deter melee enemies would be a good idea

Can't exist because low level farming is a thing. Old ember got nerfed because it could easily clear low level enemies , this skill is better at than old world on fire.

World on Fire allowed Ember to waltz into a room and incinerate any low-level trash. I probably should've emphasized it more, but I did say Sulfur "stops" to charge, meaning mobility ceases, just like his 3rd ability. Abilities like this for low-level trash clearing exist already, too. Think of Volt's Discharge, Saryn's kit (never used her, don't know a whole lot about her abilities other than that she obliterates rooms), or the now-reworked Ember's Inferno.

Clarify if these are base stats or stats at lvl 30. If these are stats at lvl 30 , you need to change the energy to comply with standard scaling.

My bad. These are lvl 30. I was thinking of giving him a lot of energy to charge his 4, but Primed Flow would probably be OP on him.

Thanks for the feedback 🙂