Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrSpeeder

What settings can reduce RAM usage?

Question

Basically Warframe is almost unplayable on my wife computer after the last few updates, it frequently use 100% RAM and some swap, Fortuna and Cetus just outright crash while loading, because it uses something like 60% of Swap when trying to load there, and the constant writing and reading to the same hard drive make the game freeze, corrupt network packages and then crash.

While DE doesn't fix the bugs... can someone give me some ideas of what settings I can change to cut down RAM usage?

11 answers to this question

11 hours ago, OrSpeeder said:

Machine is a i5, desktop, and has 8gb of RAM.

Game option, texture memory set to Low? Low texture memory helps integrated graphics with limited system RAM.

Which i5? Give us more specific CPU?

What GPU or graphics card is in this desktop?

Is it really 8 GB of RAM usable? Check system, system info.
If not fully usable, it is normal for integrated graphics to take some of usable RAM. Or might be limited by Msconfig, boot, advanced options, maximum memory, turn off maximum memory. Or worst: RAM might go faulty.

Orb Vallis crashes:
Warframe settings, verify download.

What is your page file settings?
Check system info, advanced system settings, Performance advanced, advanced, virtual memory. With 8 GB of RAM, I found that Warframe may require 12 GB of virtual memory page file or more to load Orb Vallis without crashes.

If the CPU is sandy bridge (i5-2000 series), and using integrated intel HD Sandy Bridge graphics, then it is known to be freezing on Warframe DX10, with the only real fix is to upgrade GPU. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1134985-intel-hd-graphics-30-60-secs-pauses-before-every-loading/

Have you used the launcher optimisise function?

If you never have it can make a large difference.

Other than that: just set everything to low; raise the settings that don't say the effect performance and test; then raise the settings that do say the effect performance (Shadows and VFX last); find what works best for your system.

In order of highest to lowest impact on ram usage.

Texture Quality, Anistropic Filtering, Local reflections, Blur reflections, Shadows.

I play Warframe on a 8gb of ram PC just fine (windows 7 though). Orb Vallis too, I'd get stutters or frame hangs if i set texture detail to high.) Aslong as i set it to medium the game doesnt break a sweat.

Some other things you can try.

You coulld look at reducing applications running as a background task.

Another tip is reducing the sample buffer in windows audio control panel (be aware this will be at a cost of system wide audio quality. So you'll have to remember to change it again when you exit game.) Right click the speaker in taskbar -> select your speakers -> right click and click 'properties' -> advanced tab -> change sampling rate to 44hz/16bit.

Upgrade your wife's system. Not just for WF, but for general quality of life as well. Insufficient hardware is not something DE can/will fix. WF is becoming more demanding over the years, time to adjust.

uhh, there's not really that much, you can try reducing Terrain Geometry, but most of the resources that you can adjust are GPU processes in games, the amount of System Memory a game is consuming isn't really something you can adjust, the game is using what it's going to use.
mayyyyybe Particles (the non GPU Particles)?
there's just not much that is controlled entirely by the Processor and so wouldn't be offloaded to the GPU (that would be the sort of thing you can have a setting for).

8GB of Memory is extremely strongly recommended for any Computer thesedays for this reason, even outside of Video Games.

would this happen to be a system with an APU, or a Notebook that primarily runs via an iGPU? as that can heavily constrict Memory resources since it gets shared even more.

I guess how much ram do you have and how much do you have going on in the background (non warframe)? 

Upgrade to what? Her machine is one of the top machines that exist in a reasonable price range. Most people don't own such machine.

3 minutes ago, OrSpeeder said:

Her machine is one of the top machines that exist in a reasonable price range

11 hours ago, OrSpeeder said:

Riiiiiight...top of the line....

Upgrade the RAM, check performance, then decide on other parts.

ingame at least the only thing you can affect is the GPU ram used, not so much the system ram, for that you are gonna need some winblows tweaks, but even then you wont get much mileage out of that over adding more physical ram, surprised an 8gb system cant handle it tho, my old laptop only had 16gb and i could run 4 warframes at once on it np, i would have thought 8gb would be perfectly fine for 1 instance.

check for firmware updates for your comp. they are also retiring old directx support. I don’t recall which numbers are current. But see if your gpu/ cpu support the current directx 

Warframe on Orb Vallis is using according to the system monitor, 6gb of RAM, and requesting 9gb in total.

My machine is running the game fine but my own machine has 32gb...