Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does enemy levels work ?

(XBOX)neoxal

Question

I've been playing this game for a while now and I have never been able to understand how enemy levels vs "your level" work in the game.

How do I know if my Warframe/weapon will be able to kill level 60,70,80, etc enemies? Is there like an overall score based on the mods you have equiped or something like that? What determines if a Warframe/weapon is 1 level higher or lower than the enemy?

I never paid too much attention to this because I usually look for endgame builds and that's how I prepare myself for higher difficulty missions, however recently with Empyrean release I find a bit confusing how should I mod/upgrade my Railjack to face higher difficulty missions. The endgame builds I've seen use Mk III equipment however I still don't have access to it.

What does Enemy level/ Fighter level means and how do I know if my ship meets this level requirements so I'm not getting one shotted?

6 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, (XB1)neoxal said:

I've been playing this game for a while now and I have never been able to understand how enemy levels vs "your level" work in the game.

How do I know if my Warframe/weapon will be able to kill level 60,70,80, etc enemies? Is there like an overall score based on the mods you have equiped or something like that? What determines if a Warframe/weapon is 1 level higher or lower than the enemy?

I never paid too much attention to this because I usually look for endgame builds and that's how I prepare myself for higher difficulty missions, however recently with Empyrean release I find a bit confusing how should I mod/upgrade my Railjack to face higher difficulty missions. The endgame builds I've seen use Mk III equipment however I still don't have access to it.

What does Enemy level/ Fighter level means and how do I know if my ship meets this level requirements so I'm not getting one shotted?

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Enemy_Level_Scaling

2 hours ago, (XB1)neoxal said:

How do I know if my Warframe/weapon will be able to kill level 60,70,80, etc enemies?

Any weapon / Mod setup can kill those enemies, it's just a matter of how fast 😛

What determines if a Warframe/weapon is 1 level higher or lower than the enemy?

There's no such thing as a direct level vs level thing in Warframe.

The endgame builds I've seen use Mk III equipment however I still don't have access to it.

Clan Research has the basic MK III components, for the "real" stuff you need to play Veil missions.

What does Enemy level/ Fighter level mean

Just that their Health / Shields / Armor and damage output (including accuracy) increases.

3 hours ago, (XB1)neoxal said:

Enemies gain an increase to base stats with every level. More health, more shields if they have shields, more armor (damage reduction) if they have armor, and more damage

Warframes gain SOME base stats with every level, and your abilities get stronger at certain levels. For example, your First Power (i.e. Mag's Pull or Volt's Shock) will be at max base power at level 17, but your Fourth Power (Mag's Crush, Excalibur's Exalted Blade) doesn't reach max base power until level 30. In addition, as your Warframe levels up you get to add more mods

Weapons gain absolutely nothing at all when they level up. They only get to add more mods

As a result, the power of your mods is FAR more important than the level of your gear in the long run. A Braton at level 14 with a maxed out Serration mod is more powerful than a level 30 Braton with a bunch of unranked mods. Warframes also rely on mods in order to have more health, shields, armor, and power strength/duration/range/efficiency

As mentioned previously, this is solely down to your mods. If you don't have mods installed, and you don't rank up those mods (this is a very common stumbling block for beginners), your extra levels are almost meaningless. Enemies will get more powerful, but you will not

In addition, having two or three maxed out mods is virtually always better than eight unranked mods. A level 30 Braton with maxed out Serration, Stormbringer, and Infected Clip should be able to take on level 30 Grineer at least decently

Note that some weapons are just inherently better than others. This was an attempt to make the Mastery Rank system actually mean something. You will get far more damage out of a Braton Prime than out of a Braton, thus the Braton Prime with the same build can deal with higher-level enemies

Much like weapons and warframes, a LOT of your power is based on your Avionics. These are basically mods, except DE refuses to call them mods because they're being pretentious.

Railjacks rely chiefly on three mods for survivability: Bulkhead (increases health), Hull Weave (increases armor/damage reduction), and Heat Sink (reduces damage from fire-based enemy attacks). Once your Railjack has these mods installed and ranked up, you can tank a TON of damage

You don't need to rush for MK3 gear right now. You can buy some MK1 gear from your dojo research. Stronger Reactors will increase your Avionics/mod capacity, letting you install more ranked-up mods

6 hours ago, (XB1)neoxal said:

How do I know if my Warframe/weapon will be able to kill level 60,70,80, etc enemies?

If we are talking in "will be able" terms in higher levels(300+) vs anything armoured you need armour strip(ability or weapon), because at some point no matter the weapon the armour becomes with astronomical values.
So when you take this into account any good modded weapon could kill.

15 hours ago, (XB1)neoxal said:

I have never been able to understand how enemy levels vs "your level" work in the game.

Short answer: they don't. There's no correlation.

Enemies get better with level. Higher level means more health, shields, armour, damage, and accuracy. This doesn't apply to you. A higher-level weapon is the exact same as a lower-level weapon. Warframes do kind of get better with level, but not by an amount that matters. What does matter are your mods. Higher-level gear can fit more mods. The quality of your mods (and how well they apply to the situation) is what determines the damage you deal. Basically, there's no quick number you can look at that tells you that you can go up against certain enemies. You just sort of have to get a feel for what you can handle over time.

The only way to see if it'll kill a level 60 enemy is to try.

There did used to be a loadout rating score based on your mods called a "Conclave rating", but it always was rather meaningless, and it hasn't been visible in the game for years.

recently with Empyrean release I find a bit confusing how should I mod/upgrade my Railjack to face higher difficulty missions. The endgame builds I've seen use Mk III equipment however I still don't have access to it.

Empyrean works a little differently than the rest of the game. You do want to have Mk III equipment, but your mods (avionics) also matter a good deal. I would suggest you not use any Mk I or Mk II stuff – it's just a waste of resources. Tag along on others' ships into the Veil until you've gotten some good Mk III guns and maybe a Mk III reactor. Then, once you've repaired those, put them on your own ship and take her out. You'll be shocked at the difference. Don't forget to install and rank up your avionics after getting a new reactor.