Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... Where Is The Direction of Balance Going?

SpringRocker

It really seems kind of weird that at one point the issue of balance was mentioned when it comes to weapons, that they don't want new stuff to be introduced that could be overly powerful. Yet there are things that are amazingly strong that you always see in every game.

[Split Flights] was put on hold because they didn't want for bows to be over powered, when it gets released it's already noted that the Lenz can't use it.
Also... Here's a bow (Bramma) that deals more damage than every weapon in the game, that shoots bombs... Also the bombs have bombs, you can clear whole rooms with one shot.

The Aksomati Prime has stats close to the regular one, but also has a lower disposition so it doesn't become the new "must use" weapon.
Also... Here's a bunch of rapid fire AOE weapons that perform much better and can hit all enemies at once. Not only that but they're more than effective enough for everything the game offers except Railjack...

Archguns now have projectile speed and blink has been removed from the Itzal to be given to all Archwings, I assume it's so that you can't zoom past and ignore everything.
Also... The VoidHole battle ability makes it so that all enemies will now group together and all can be taken out with one missile, that and the Amesha is the only Archwing with working abilities.

I get that powerful stuff is fun, but having the option of turning everything into a cakewalk isn't. The term cakewalk is pretty apt for some things intrinsic to Warframe, you do a mission with no real challenge or risk of failure for 2-5 minutes, you get a prize. I really want something that isn't as simple as pressing a button to skip over everything and win.

I guess I really just want to know if there's going to be some sort of satisfying and fulfilling challenge or if everything is always going to have a button to skip over levels.

EDIT: I know the part about the Amesha is a bit unfair, I know they're working on it. It's just a good example because it polarizes the difference in what it can do (not die, slow everything else, heal stuff) compared to the others.

Edited by SpringRocker
  • Like 1

Normal bows and hitscan guns are getting power crept out of service. Catchmoon, Fulmin, Akarius, Acceltra, Shedu, Kuva Tonor, Bramma - we've suddenly got a lot of guns that hit a bunch of guys at once, while at the same time melee is more viable, especially as something you can drop in and out of without worrying about combo count, and pretty much every melee weapon is better of with (Primed) Reach. Considering that Warframe is increasingly a horde game, that's a big deal. The balance between AoE and single-target guns isn't an easy multiplier you can slap onto the damage, because the usefulness of AoE is situational, but said situation is now "more often than not".

My personal wish for all shotguns to (at least mechanically if not visually) become wave guns and at least some existing hitscan rifles to get converted into medium-projectile guns like the Battacor is very unlikely to happen....

It's not going anywhere. Warframe has been a fantasy for casuals to cling onto for several years now, and I can't see it ever being anything different.

DE's attempts at balance, as you mentioned, are outliers.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, CopperBezel said:

Considering that Warframe is increasingly a horde game, that's a big deal.

A good reason why Weapons like Assault Rifles and Tigris Prime is used in very limited Scenarios. Out of all the Places in this Game, the only time where they have a use is in Sorties or Railjack. Other areas favors AOE CC or AOE nuking.

Edited by GPrime96

14 minutes ago, GPrime96 said:

A good reason why Weapons like Assault Rifles and Tigris Prime is used in very limited Scenarios. Out of all the Places in this Game, the only time where they have a use is in Sorties or Railjack. Other areas favors AOE CC or AOE nuking.

Agreed.

There are two groups of people in Warframe, Nukers and Non-nukers. This is why Octavia with infinite damage and can possible never die if she stays invisible makes her become a frame not used much even by Nuking standards. Nukers feel spamming spores is a reasonable justification for spores spreading because of the grind for resources. While others feel killing only by sight is justification of killing enemies because it requires thinking and skills.

The War will even end......

There are a lot more degrees of directness than that, and I think most Saryn mains would be more likely to point to the melee killing they're doing to spread spores optimally than anything to do with resource grind. I mean, not all Saryns are equal, in the same way that someone using a Orthos Prime right now can still fall into a wide range of ability levels and damage %s regardless of the fact that their median will be much, much higher than a similar selection of people using Rubico Primes. There's still a skill set any one of these players is maximizing, but of course, they're not just different skill sets, they're rewarded on different scales. Spores are at their most absurdly effective in ESO, and my cheesiest Khora loadout can outperform a slim majority of the Saryns I run into there while falling far, far behind the top performers. And that Khora is of course AoE spam in a different shape and degree, with a different set of limiting mechanics, and nothing that didn't rotate on very large AoE would have a difficult time competing in an environment like ESO. Shift over to Arbitrations, and melee and survivability is important is king because drones ignore all of those AoE abilities. And nothing you can do in a Sortie isn't going to equalize a Shedu down to a Kohm unless it's shotgun-only. 

DE realized that they cornered themselves and that their players bleed to games with gameplay that actually has depth. Player retention is not only about new shiny content, its also about moment to moment core gameplay, and its rather lacking, considering how braindead the game is.

All the nerfs and tiny rebalances look pathetic because to add actual balance and challenge they'd need to rebalance EVERYTHING in the game. Not just armor, not just damage, but also enemy AI(not just accuracy lmao), enemy pathing, enemy abilities, enemy spawn-rates, objectives(since currently many of them rely on KPS) - ALL OF IT. DE are trying to slow down the power creep since its obvious that it has gotten out of hand, but the changes they make are not big enough to make any difference.

• Like 1