Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2020’s First Mainline: Review, Revise, Refresh.

[DE]Rebecca

21 hours ago, Tellingohn said:

The flat 25% damage reduction sounds good, untill you run the numbers against how hard high level mobs hit and how much max shield capacity you can get on a frame.

Not only that but I don't think people realize just how much harder some enemies will hit due to a neutral armor type. Slash, electric, and magnetic will no longer do 1/2 damage and have Tenno armor treated as 50% higher, it will now be full damage and no armor adjust. (EDIT: Keep in mind Health type; so from damage of = 75% and 1.5x armor it's 125% and regular armor).

Things like Eviscerators, Sniper Crewmen, and Chargers (not 100% sure on that 3rd one) will now hit A LOT harder.

I'm not complaining as it will shake things up, but it really seems weird and I don't really like Tenno armor is different from everything else... With no reason other than "just because" and with no lore reason.

Not only that but if it carries into the Conclave it basically nullifies the relevance of damage types. Suddenly a whole category of mods will have literally no longer have any effect in gameplay and armor becomes a lot stronger.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong on the armor type, it's Ferrite instead of Alloy which makes my math up there incorrect.

Edited by SpringRocker
Gave wrong info; thought Tenno armor was currently Alloy, it's Ferrite.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Graavarg said:

Sorry for chopping up your post, but you make some good points and I wanted to comment explicitly.

First of all, all arcanes are inherently useful. Each and every one of them, at any rank. This is the logical conclusion stemming from the fact that an arcane adds something that you would otherwise not have. The difference in usefulness between arcanes and when applied to different warframes and builds is entirely another matter.

Yes, Energize and Grace are the most wanted. Even if you account for the drop rates and having to capture a Hydrolyst, this can also easily be deduced from their plat value. There are other META-arcanes, but Energize and Grace rule the pack. If the problem is the lack of diversity in the usage of arcanes (or overall in Warframe, considering the huge amount of stuff) it would be logical (if you want to increase diversity) to reduce the attractiveness of these two the most.

I totally disagree with the notion that "DE mindlessly nerf things". I think that is about as stupid a comment as anyone can make. DE doesn't get everything right all the time, but I am quite sure that a lot of "mind" is put to these matters. And I think you agree with that conclusion (even though you seem to first support the notion of "mindlessly" building and supporting one of the most complicated games on the planet).

Don't sell "silly" short, silly builds and squads are a huge source of fun in the game 🙂. What is amazing (about Warframe as a game) is that many of them actually work (and work well). Also don't sell "creative" short by classifying it as silly, you could just as well call the META-crowd "silly" for missing out on 99% of the game. Analyzing the game and it's components for META purposes is (very) creative, but copying META-builds from Youtube is the anti-thesis of "creative".

I have 2X all arcanes and use double sets on many warframes/builds. After mulling the upcoming changes for a few days I am not even sure if they actually are "nerfs", gameplay-wise. It might very well be that the 25% reduction of "double arcane power" is compensated by the addition of another 150% arcane. Most important though is that I am also exited by the prospect of testing & figuring this out. Triggering interest beats any little nerf, hands down.

I very much disagree with the notion of "DE mindlessly nerfing" stuff (as per above). Seems like a totally mindless comment to me. 😉 🙂 

To clarify what I mean by mindless nerfs, I believe DE tends to invoke nerfing strategies that are easy to implement over those that are particularly interesting and well thought out.  Consider how arcane nerfs are being implemented.  It would require thoughtfulness and creativity to implement alternate triggers such that the difficulty of activating the trigger scales with the level of gain.  Instead, it's much easier and requires much less design/development effort to just slap cooldowns on them and call it a day. 

Also consider Ember's original rework (pre-Pablo) that gained a ton of fan dissatisfaction.  DE saw that Ember was cheesing low level missions.  So instead of reworking the frame and changing her ult (like they did later), they instead implemented a change that took away her ability to CC effectively, nerfing range and energy consumption, and cementing her as a bottom teir frame for a time.  And trust me, I tried making pre-Pablo Ember work for end game content, but she just didn't.

Finally, consider the Telos Boltace nerf, which, much like arcanes, took on a new cool down function.  It went from one of the most used weapons to one I never see in missions anymore.  Applying a cooldown is easy.  It requires little thought and "solves" the problem.  But Warframe has established itself as a game with very few cooldowns.  Just look at how the energy system and abilities function.  Cooldowns, in a game where you can cast abilities at will, are awkward and counterintuitive.  It's just an easy way to solve a problem with an overpowered mechanic.

These are only the first examples of easy balancing flops that come to mind but there are plenty of others, including the infamous Itzal blink nerf, and the original pre-Pablo Vauban "buff."  DE identifies problems well, using statistics to back decisions.  That part isn't mindless.  But unless Pablo is involved, the steps taken to nerf said problematic gameplay elements are often rushed and generic perhaps to make said changes easy to rollback or change if they aren't accepted well.  But I don't think these changes are very inspired to say the least and often fall flat when put to the test.  Are the nerfs effective?  Yes.  Could they be done in a more thoughtful, interesting way?  Absolutely.  And Pablo is often evidence of this.  However, that is what I mean by "mindless" - fast, generic changes are often preferred over thoughtful, planned out reworks.  It's usually only after a generic change fails does DE make a more concerted effort to implement a more comprehensive solution.

Hopefully, this clears up my thought process.  I probably shouldn't have used a word with such a negative connotation because I know DE works hard to remedy parts of an extremely complex game. 

Edited by Gamefreak106

arcane guardian will be better for most warframes and bad for survival at very high levels, I may be wrong as it is necessary to test together with arcane grace

depending on the improvements to all arcanes... many warframes will be able to hunt in eydolon

the chroma? I don't like exclusive frames for specific tasks: v

3 hours ago, (XB1)TheDragonPaws said:

I think the arcane changes can be neat, but some people are over reacting to the changes like its the end of the world. I think DE is going to put the changes out for arcanes and then work their way up to a more refined system with player feedback because to be honest the power creep is real. These changes are not the end all be all.

The number one complaint of vets besides feed us more content was that warframe is way too easy. This won't make it too hard, but is a nice change of pace. Like people are now complaining that this is the end of the warframe, but you can still make amazing builds with out relying on double stack arcanes. I personally think the meta gaming really draws the fun out of the game anyway and should be mixed up a bit. Like some veterans gets so salty that X released weapon got nerfed and then on the other hand says warframe too easy. I personally just like to pick a random weapon and see what I can make of it.

The only complaint with arcanes I have is with Arcane Precision personally. Because now their isn't a damage arcane for pistols related to ammo and Titania uses arch-wing pistols so she is unable to get that damage buff. This can be balanced out with the enemy rework for Titania, but I think it was an unintentional nerf  and as of late DE is really trying to make her viable. The delay on Arcane Energy and Guardian is fine, but I think the community would stop whining if there were more ways to get energy through mods or something. Like sharp shooter gives you energy on headshots, so maybe some skilled based mod that you could put on a warframe or weapon that doesn't rely attacks that can only be done on mob kills. This will make edilon fights and boss fights feel interesting without being feed energy through arcanes, but the mods should be a low enough return that the arcanes aren't useless. As for Guardian, there are many ways to not die with frames, but maybe you could do a skilled based mods as well for that.

The status update seems nice, but I think they should take a look at status immune bosses. I know you don't want players to insta kill them, but status is half of the games damage mechanics and immunity seems a little cheap. Overall, the update will probably complained about up and down the wall and fine tuned into a more natural balance. I think its a great base to make warframe more fun as long as the Devs are still listening diligently. 

Have you even read this thread? Sure, the Arcane nerfs won't make the game harder, they will make it slower, clunkier, and less efficient. In a game that is all about speed, flow, and efficiency. To make an analogy, it's like as if you had a race car with six gears that was so good it won all the races, so that instead of making other cars as good or better, the manufacturer forces firmware update on the car's on-board computer that locks off the sixth gear so that the car wouldn't dominate so much. And the icing on the cake: since all ther other cars are still crappy, people are going to use the gimped car anyway, it's just going to handle worse and be less fuel-efficient that if they still had the sixth gear, annoying the drivers and making the races worse.

Furthermore, with the Energize nerf in particular, we are not talking about balancing OP builds or the like; Arcane Energize, in its current form, is a bare necessity for a number of frames to even function properly.

However, let us be honest here for a second: the real issue is not Arcane Energize, it's just a symptom of a much larger issue, namely the terrible energy-economy in the game. The nerfs to Arcane Guardian and Arcane Grace are annoying, but they are not breaking anything. A well-modded Inaros or Nidus is going to survive all the same without double-Grace, and while the weaker Guardian will make squishy frames squishier, considering we have a ton of DR abilities and Adaptation in the game, I doubt they are going to be unplayable. However, making Energize act over time and with a cooldown would downright invalidate a ton of builds and playstyles, and since it is usable on every single frame (aside of Hyldrin), it directly affects all of them and the overall energy-economy of the game.

Why is this a big deal? Let me state the obvious: the entirety of the on-foot portion gameplay and the identity of each individual frame revolves around the abilities, and at all levels of play, you rely on them way more than any of the weapons in the game. However, with no natural regen available, there are only seven ways to gain energy in the game:

-Pickups: A paltry 25 energy per orb, wohoo...

-Support: Needs a Trin or Harrow on the team, not applicable to solo players.

-Zenurik: The most ubiquitous solution, but doesn't work with channeled abilities. and has a high opportunity cost, as you have to take it instead of the other Focus bonuses.

-Pizzas: Great for on-demand energy, but also don't work with channeled abilities.

-Brave Exodia: A decent option after Melee 3.0, but doesn't work with channeled abilities.

-Rage/Hunter Adrenaline: Works with channeled abilities, but incompatible with the squishy frames that need their channeled abilities to stay alive (eg.: Ivara, Titania, etc.) They also have a high opportunity cost, as they take up a mod slot that could be used for a myriad of other things.

-Arcane Energize: Chance based, but works with channeled abilities, and has little to no opportunity cost.

Now, if energy-over-time stuff or pizzas worked with channeling frames, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because then Arcane Energize would be exactly what DE intends it to be: a small, random boost that triggers from time to time to make your life easier. However, that's not the case, and because of this, channeling frames are entirely reliant on this one Arcane to prop them up to be effective (or in the case of Titania, just straight up usable).

Edited by Egathentale
  • Like 8

I was saying more mods could fill the gap of arcane energize, I am well of aware of the other methods of gaining energy and the down sides of them. To rely on a single arcane for most frames is careless game design and I think skilled based mods would be a nice alternative to the frames who gather energy from rage or hunters adrenaline very well. Not having these mods does not destroy the usefulness of certain frames either. For Titania, I use max efficiency and I good for the entire mission.

Arcane energize is relied upon heavily and this time duration nerf shouldn't bog the game down since the're already a lot ways to get energy when mobs are abound. The mobs are also going to have less scaling so more kills will result in more chances for energy drops in most scenarios. For builds that are not high efficiency and rely on arcane energize as their only means to function, will probably not be viable anymore. I think this shifts the game more into another direction that with time can be balanced out quite well. The only issue I see is with boss entities because energy orbs don't necessarily fall out of the sky and there are no mobs. There are less enemies to kill and less energy to go around so its then pizza time or Zenurik.

As for warframe running more efficiently, to be honest in most areas it already runs quite efficiently already. Most objectives can be completed quite fast with little difficulty with a semi good build. There is RNG grind and some of the newer content should be less grindy, but most players can make a build that can nuke anything up to a sortie quite efficiently. This over reliance on arcane energy is a double edge sword, because in some scenarios I can see it be needed, but in most cases its just excess that can be ignored with a balanced build.

• Like 1

@master_of_destiny

I see you keep complaining and give negative comment on this incoming update in this thread. That is understandable.DE hears comments of all players.But personally i can't agree with some of your points.I think they are just self-contradictory. 

Though i don't think it is appropriate to talk about another game here but since you quoted No Man's Sky :I bought this game at the first week they released. They have never ever fufill their origianal commitments.Not untill now.Aka, they are no better that DE.

Edited by yuzhuQ

4 hours ago, Gamefreak106 said:

Hopefully, this clears up my thought process.  I probably shouldn't have used a word with such a negative connotation because I know DE works hard to remedy parts of an extremely complex game.

I wasn't calling you out or anything, rather the opposite. But since you made a lot of good points I might have used that to take a couple of digs at the "rant brigade". 😉 

3 hours ago, Egathentale said:

To make an analogy, it's like as if you had a race car with six gears that was so good it won all the races, so that instead of making other cars as good or better, the manufacturer forces firmware update on the car's on-board computer that locks off the sixth gear so that the car wouldn't dominate so much. And the icing on the cake: since all ther other cars are still crappy, people are going to use the gimped car anyway, it's just going to handle worse and be less fuel-efficient that if they still had the sixth gear, annoying the drivers and making the races worse.

Hmm, the fun thing with racing is the excitement and the challenge (at least to me it is). What you are describing sounds quite boring, one car being so much better than everything else that it totally dominates everything, winning everything while all the other are just gathering dust somewhere. It is so dominant that there is no need for skill or planning or anything, all you need to do is jump into the car and win every race. You don't even have to build it or anything, if you have enough money you can even start by buying it outright.

So, if someone "gimped" that car and made even a fraction of the other cars comparably fast, and this made the races interesting and exciting again, and you had to think about what you do and be on top of your game to win instead of just starting the car, how on earth could that be a bad thing? That it is less fuel-efficient and now have one gear less seems completely irrelevant, because you race for the fun of it, not for the number of gears, and more challenging and more exciting races is more fun. If you race only for the win and in addition want a game set up so that you are guaranteed to win, doesn't that translate to "quite meaningless" for you? 'Cause it sure does for me.

My only request is to maintain the maximum rank of Arcanes (Rank 3) as is currently and to adjust the stats accordingly to match whatever the Dev team is putting forward.  Grinding out an additional 11 Arcanes (forget the event because we don't know if it will be recurring and if so its frequency) is just too punishing, especially for the Legendary Arcanes.

Update: Also the video below effectively sums up the vast majority of the community's concerns.  I hope the Devs will take notice.

Edited by (PS4)ESYLD
Update

9 minutes ago, yuzhuQ said:

@master_of_destiny

I see you keep complaining and give negative comment on this incoming update in this thread. That is understandable.DE hears comments of all players.But personally i can't agree with some of your points.I think they are just self-contradictory. 

Though i don't think it is appropriate to talk about another game here but since you quoted No Man's Sky :I bought this game at the first week they released. They have never ever fufill their origianal commitments.Not untill now.Aka, they are no better that DE.

I have more negative to say, because I've seen people offer fawning praise.  Praise often built on good RNG or not having to deal with RNG.  Moreover, DE has stretched content to the point of breaking with low percentage drops, because they cannot keep pumping out content.  

I find it interesting that I point out a potential contradiction, counter it, and you can't even cite an example.  It's great not having to justify anything, but being able to dismiss something you don't agree with.  It's such a very safe space to be in.  Poking aside, if you have problems cite them.  I'm happy to explain my internal logic and consistencies, as often a different perspective is needed.

Regarding No Man's Sky, please read.  At no point do I say they delivered on all promises.  I avoided that specifically because they haven't.  Objectively, there are lists of what they never delivered on.  I said the game was good.  

Now let me apply the same internal consistency to DE.  Do they over promise, and under deliver?  Yes.  Do they promise and then never deliver? Yes.  Do they promise, then let things die because they're too much work?  RAIDS...oh sorry, that's a yes.  Is the game objectively better after every patch, and does each patch work?  Nope.  OK, there's the thread.  No Man's Sky has a much smaller team, focused on procedural generation of content, over promised, under delivered, but after launch have strove to release compelling content that largely works.  

This is the difference.  Every new update is moving the game forward, and they don't introduce hundreds of bugs which actively make engaging with the new content impossible.  That is to say, there are bugs but not game breaking messes which even basic QA testing should have found.  DE has way more manpower, but cannot release something that doesn't need a half dozen hotfixes to be acceptable.

Let's address my own inconsistencies.

1. I hate the arcanes being devalued, but Primed Chamber being devalued is OK.  This is a simple question of a mod with no real game changing potential being devalued by not being unique, versus game changing effects being hidden behind a huge grind wall.
  2. I want my favorite frame to be reworked, but can't see why Chroma needs a rework.  This is inherently wrong.  I said my favorite needs a rework, but haven't asked for one.  As far as I'm concerned, Chroma still works and Zephyr never getting a rework is fine.  I'd prefer DE stop the meta from being DPS, and making things like Vauban, Zephyr, and CC in general good rather than trying to rebuild the frames to work with the meta.  I'll touch on this shortly, but my point is reworks are only needed when something no longer works, and damage=power is never going to break in a horde shooter.
  3. I'm OK with DE not sacrificing my sacred cow.  It's fine to mess with shotguns, right?  Well, yes.  For those who don't remember there was a time when the Gammacor ruled the world, the Boltor Prime was the only option, and the Soma Prime was crit king.  I supported these changes because having one weapon so totally outclass everything else meant the game was a min-max nightmare.  I can't say whether or not the shotgun fix will be good, but this may well kill my third favorite weapon (standard Kohm).  Despite losing that, I'm good to see what this brings to the table.  I don't hate change, and this math will add and subtract.  A new meta may form, but it's worth exploring.
  4. I don't praise the bug fixes.  Railjack shouldn't have released as is, and my consistency comes from despising being a beta tester for someone who wants me to spend $80+ a quarter to play their game and skip the grind.  It's more insulting that tennogen is community created, but cannot be bought with platinum.  It's just silly to have to spend money, spend money to buy platinum to spend money, and to be asked to buy prime packs 8 times a year now.  If that's what you are selling, I expect a game that doesn't crash because I was in an enemy ship when the timer ran out and it decided to dump me into a gradient colored void.  This is two full months after launch, though my favorite bit of beta fun is that it's still possible to perform a finisher on a ramp and literally fall out of the map.
  5. I don't have an issue with self damage, and don't empathize with the Chroma players despite calling this greed.  Refer back to my math.  DE has set this up for a year of constant grind to get arcanes.  A year for 50% of players to get the thing and 50% to be either short or never having seen the rare arcane they might actually want.  It's sad to see your favorite frame eat a nerf, but being told that you're not going to see game changing power unless you sink a year into a painful grind is insulting.  
  6. No comments about scaling?  Years ago I suggested S curves.  We've known that armor and health scaling are garbage even since the days of Tier 4 void key survivals.  Despite this we're only now getting it addressed.  Consider my stance here being that it's good, but about 5 years too late to be worthy of substantive praise.  I believe the people at DE knew this was a problem, but the introduction of arbitrations and ESO/SO highlighted this too long ago to warrant anything but dull surprise.
  7. Costs for railjack are going down.  Why am I not happy?  The economy was apparently garbage in November, when we had to wait 12 hours per component and the costs were obviously tooled for veterans.  That'd be great if the new game mode was interesting and integrated, thereby being something to work towards.  Unfortunately the release state is still too fragmented.

At this point you should really specify what it is you want me to answer.  The old "if you're not positive shut up and play something else" is old hat.  Between November 2018 (absolute peak players 132k) and today (71k peak in February) we've lost 61k people.  To lose effectively half of the player base after two large updates is...it may be time for an evaluation of priorities.  To do that evaluation, and devalue player time so much, is just baffling.  What isn't baffling is discussing a huge change, setting implementation a short time in the future, and delivering so little substantive information that it makes the players leery rather than optimistic they'll get the balance right. 

This is especially damning when you say you're shooting for 150% power of a level 3 at level 5, but demonstrate several which are negligibly more powerful than a level 3 at level 5.  Poor math is pretty frightening from a code monkey, just like a grease monkey unwilling to get greasy is unsettling.  Consider that unreasonable, but I've not forgotten that DE required us to data mine before they admitted the forma blue print drop was not as advertised.  Never forget that, or the difficulty in getting a universal companion vacuum mod.  

• Like 1

On 2020-02-28 at 5:21 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Vauban Armor:

Facts: Vauban’s Base Armor is changing from 50 to 150, and Vauban Prime is changing from 100 to 200. 

Why: A minor bump in survivability if your CC or strategies fail you!

Unfortunately there are no real strategies against Liches...

1 hour ago, master_of_destiny said:

At this point you should really specify what it is you want me to answer.  The old "if you're not positive shut up and play something else" is old hat.  Between November 2018 (absolute peak players 132k) and today (71k peak in February) we've lost 61k people.  To lose effectively half of the player base after two large updates is...it may be time for an evaluation of priorities.  To do that evaluation, and devalue player time so much, is just baffling.  What isn't baffling is discussing a huge change, setting implementation a short time in the future, and delivering so little substantive information that it makes the players leery rather than optimistic they'll get the balance right. 

This is especially damning when you say you're shooting for 150% power of a level 3 at level 5, but demonstrate several which are negligibly more powerful than a level 3 at level 5.  Poor math is pretty frightening from a code monkey, just like a grease monkey unwilling to get greasy is unsettling.  Consider that unreasonable, but I've not forgotten that DE required us to data mine before they admitted the forma blue print drop was not as advertised.  Never forget that, or the difficulty in getting a universal companion vacuum mod.  

I find myself agreeing with much of your post. You wrote your points clear and I can't really disagree with most of the trends you point out. For me the sum up is that DE will constantly devalue and disrespect the time of their players in order to favour short term gain. Something that i believe is now being reflected in the numbers of their declining playerbase.

48 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

I find myself agreeing with much of your post. You wrote your points clear and I can't really disagree with most of the trends you point out. For me the sum up is that DE will constantly devalue and disrespect the time of their players in order to favour short term gain. Something that i believe is now being reflected in the numbers of their declining playerbase.

Devalue the efforts of the small % of the hard workers to make the larger % of the lazy bums more happy to keep playing. The majority wins in terms of profits for DE on this one. I've quit Warframe after 5 years of playing, but it's still interesting to come on here to see new developments and changes they are making. I hope they are able to find that happy medium, rather than just adding artificial updates/expansion/difficult by simply raising the bar and making it require less effort to reach it. It's not going to be an easy line to find. 

1 hour ago, Skaleek said:

Consider me insane, but I'm hoping that with enough feedback that isn't praise we can help them see why people leave.

The echo chamber of people who love this game can probably keep it going for years, entirely off the back of chasing the new meta.  The issue stands that this doesn't make a healthy game.  I've been with Warframe longer than anything short of Terraria, and I always roll back to when we had a monthly event.  A halcyon time where content drops were 2-3 weapons, and updates were frequent due to being primarily bug fixes.  Despite the obvious issues, Warframe was always getting better.

That said, DE is a business.  I'm praying they learn from the like of EA and Bethesda, where greed is killing their franchises.  Having bought multiple prime access packs, I'm happy to reward developers when what they release is good.  I equally hate them when they transparently grab for cash, and everything since old blood has come with a huge monetary component.  The requiem relics were not some grind that money would make easier, they were miserable time gates which could entirely be avoided with money.  DE promised that this was not a pay to win game, and if they actually delivered on that with some tutorials I believe this game could easily earn back the player base.

The problem is that everyone saying things are fine prevents that positive change, so there needs to be some angry people explaining themselves.  It isn't hate for DE, it's attempting to push them to be better, or at least to understand why eventually people leave.  Insanity being the act of repeating the same thing over and over again, but expecting a new outcome.

Barring that, point and laugh at my stupidity.  Hopefully if this can become a joke meme it'll cause some change.

• Like 2

I don't know if this will be read, but I have a small suggestion.

The Workshop talks about making Railjack more accessible to newer players with less resources and credits, but will this apply also to Railjack Weapons and various Parts (Reactors, Engines, Shields)? If they're to get their ships ready for Scarlet Spear, they would be overwhelmed by the immense amount of resources (i.e. Asterite and Titanium) needed to upgrade the Railjack and make it viable for the upcoming missions... it would be nice for everyone if crafting costs were also at least halved, because right now I keep hesitating about any single piece I want to Repair because of the expensive cost. And I think a lot of fellow Tenno are in the same situation... 

Edited by EvanGallaway