Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks for Watching Devstream #139!

[DE]Rebecca

In the discussion of Arcanes... Something immediately came to mind:
My Trinity build Currently uses Arcane Pulse, because she spawns health orbs with Pool of Life like Crazy. This is a build I can only create by sacrificing health mods, to lean on Health Conversion when the health orb synergy gets going. Arcane Guardian is practically necessary to eek out a Chance at survivability while I generate orbs.

Point is, I would have to SACRIFICE Arcane Pulse, in order to stay alive. See the problem there? I can totally understand why Arcanes aren't meant to be relied on as a constant build function, like in this case. However, no other mod options suit my wacky wacky health orb Trin, as it takes so many moving parts to create the right conditions in her kit to even approach high end missions with a build so totally unique.

There's a certain part of people's reliance on Arcanes that is trying to answer a problem we have in build diversity, which is... MOD SLOTS. You want to see some crazy unique builds, guys? Give me 2-4 more slots for mods, and I'll give you some wild builds. Not having the mod slot to scrape together a reliable means of base survival while I stack up my life mechanics. I think people have to build for some of the metas we have, because their ideas just won't fit on a frame.

Removing an arcane slot? Ok.
More mod slots then, please.

I'm doing everything in my power to find fun in this game off the beaten path. All the limitations in how far you can go with your build SERIOUSLY does not make it easy! (Maybe that's why nearly everyone is so meta... there's really no room for a lot of options, unless you're ok with losing for being creative.) The beaten path is as beat as a it is, because there are only so many ways modding can result in a workable solution, with as few slots as we have.

Back in the EARLY builds, where Abilities were Mods... I removed abilities I didn't like, in order to make builds I was happy with. We often do the same thing now, by just ignoring abilities when we mod.. only having fewer slots to work with. Case a point? Every Chroma ever.. and you know this.

Some ideas on the STACKING EFFECTS of Non-stacking damage types.
Impact - Apply a small (~3%) -resistances% ONLY while staggered. This amount is stored on the enemy, and is only accessible While Staggered.
(Keeping them off footing wears enemies down, making them vulnerable.)

Puncture - Apply a small weak spot that expands with successive hits, and adds Punch-thru to shots on weak spots.

Spoiler

czg5e5g.png

Electric - Reduce the damage loss per arc, and increase the distance of arcs.

Cold - Aura on target of cold proc while enemies are nearby. Freeze target. Heavy attacks and knockdown while target is frozen, shatters the, "ice," on them, dealing slash proc to target, and radius, but ending freeze.

Blast - Reduce knockdown and stagger recovery speed.

Magnetic - Generates (very) small amount of Shields and Energy on hit, creates minor magnetic field on target.

Viral - Contagious. Applies random chance symptoms (like bleed, "swelling," a la Nukor, radiation, -accuracy%, -movement speed%, etc.)

...doesHeat stack? How do I not know this after almost 6 years?....If it doesn't, then - Wisps of fires, like the projectiles that fly off from Wisp (frame) Breach Surge, but more aimless.
Stop-drop-&Roll mechanic, where enemies fall down, reducing a level of proc, but setting them up for ground finishers. (Instead of a second on fire, "Panic," they drop and roll briefly.)

Just a few ideas I've been playing around with. 😃 If any of these are useful, then I'm happy to help. Looking forward to what you guys @DE come up with

On 2020-02-28 at 12:43 PM, BenightedAlizar said:

I'm itching to see how my Kuva Ogris performs after the status and self-damage changes!
It's so fun to use vs low lv stuff, but boy is it awful vs high lv enemies atm.

Did you put mods on it? 'Cause my Kuva Ogris basically annihilates everything the game throws at us without even needing a riven, excepting bosses that you wouldn't use it against anyway.

1 hour ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

Did you put mods on it? 'Cause my Kuva Ogris basically annihilates everything the game throws at us without even needing a riven, excepting bosses that you wouldn't use it against anyway.

I did some research and apparently the elemental bonus on lich weapons counts as a base stat, meaning mods scale off of it.

I compared my Kuva Ogris to an another person's with the same mods, but mine had a low rad lich bonus and a maxed out Cautious Shot.
Theirs had a rank 8 Cautious Shot and a high Toxin bonus.

Theirs had around 22K gas damage while mine only had around 16K gas. (and 1700 rad)

Edit:
I should also note that Nightwatch Napalm makes a surprising difference vs high lv enemies.
Not so much because of the damage, but it actually adds heat procs, meaing it halves the armor of targets.
So yeah I definitely underestimated the weapon for a few reasons, and I take back what I said earlier.
I think it'll go from great to amazing! Though Bramma might give competition? We'll see!

* 'Fighting entropy', Nervewracking so we're presenting it...
I'm all for it.

* Railjack onboarding
Changing the target demographic? Sure.
Giving a rebate/not-penalizing early adopters? I'm a fan.

* Armor
Scaling change is probably good, but I'll wait the stats, or for someone else to math what the new curve actually means with regards to %DR/%eHP growth.
As a tangent, I'd wonder what stat tracks the PoE Grineer have for HP and armor vs any other Grineer, as they're actually worth using Rad against, over Corrosive.

Player-specific health types is probably a good thing, given that enemies have scaling stats and players don't.
Also, deals with the opacity of enemy damage types, esp. by unit. You can go that route, but it'd need a lot of effort: More transparency (so players can make informed decisions), better mod support (to have what to make choices about), that there not exist a 'best solution' as with Corrosive under the current paradigm, and probably a serious rethink on the mechanics and numbers of Damage 2.0.
I remember when Detron Crewmen were oneshotting players because woops Rad damage vs. player alloy armor due to the double-dipping that breaks Damage 2.0 vs armor (both affecting the armor value used in the %DR calculation as well as multiplying the damage done).

* Shields
Shield gates - Warframe still isn't Halo. Between the different combat paradigm and cover, Halo allows downtime-to-regen even while "in" combat. Warframe very much does not.
While I like not suffering from opaque oneshots, I can't help but feel you're going about this the wrong way - the AI is still aimbot, and most projectiles are either hitscan or effectively-hitscan (read: travel faster than player reaction time at standard engagement distances). There's no counterplay, no reactive defenses.

I recently saw a post mortem of Doom 2016, and a specific segment, here, caught my attention.
While Doom and Warframe certainly aren't trying to be the same game; and have many differences across many aspects (engine, player perspective; and linear & hand-crafted in (mostly) arenas vs. scaling & procedural in (mostly) corridors, to name some obvious ones), they both aim to deliver a similar-enough fundamental experience (to wit: fast, agile, explody, hordefest shooterpalooza), I think, that the underlying design concept is somewhat applicable.
In case you don't have the 2 minutes to watch the segment, he buttons it thus:
"... Because this game is constantly spawning in new enemies, and you're moving at such a breakneck pace, your route around the level looks like <spaghetti>. And it's amazing."
I heard this, and I ears went to point. "Sounds like Warframe!" I thought. Next line?
"It all works because there's plenty of natural cover to run behind, not too much open space, but most of all because the enemies are not hitscan and instead are easily dodgable projectiles."
Oh. Yeah.

Anyway, back to shield gating:
So Mesa, Mag, Hyldrin, Trin (and potentially Capacitance Volt), read: the frames who can actively generate shields (thus bypassing the shield regen delay I allude to above, re: Halo), become immortal as long as A) you react fast enough, and B) you have some energy?
Not sure whether I like that or not. I like that this rewards player reaction. I dislike cheap immortality.
Guess we'll have to see the exact mechanism of how it works. (Activation trigger, invuln duration.)
Though, in fairness, a couple of other frames already have such a mechanic, and it seems to work for them.

"Even in a high fire rate situation, players should be able to register that their shields are gone and do something about it"
Excellent.

Also: Glad to see headshots gain some utility.
But I'm still of the opinion that crits need to die in a fire - unlike headshots, they neither reward nor require anything of the player, but rather offer a massive damage boost for... slotting 2 mods and never touching them again. They offer nothing but passive damage inflation (and often spikiness, because y'all really hate reliability). 
(Yes, I know about crit headshots getting doubled.)

* Aimbot changes:
The more 'did I get hit or not' you put in players' hands, the better imo.
(And in general, with regards to combat/difficulty, I hope at least someone of you saw [url=https://old.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/enr59c/how_exactly_do_people_want_difficulty_added_the/]this Reddit thread[/url] a month-ish ago.)
But this still suffers from being opaque, to its detriment - Players can't see that they're doing well, or whether they're doing poorly. At high enough levels, you just keel over like 'what hit me?'
Another advantage that projectiles have over hitscan. :p They offer very visible lessons.

* Self damage replaced with self stagger.
> Players can tech-out.
EXCELLENT.
Any chance this can be implemented in other places? Manual mantle, kip-up after a knockdown, etc.

* AoE changes - Higher base, larger AoE, falloff.
Will the falloff stats be visible? (Also, better falloff stats in arsenal for shotguns etc. please? At very least, the arsenal is missing the min damage at max falloff.)
P.S. Chroma doesn't need self damage to build his Vex. Not even in endurance runs.
Maybe in Eidolons, and Vex is recastable now, so that's not an unassailable argument.

* Excavator health scaling, Titania changes, Sentinel mod-sharing.
Wonderful. Also, re-sentinels, was just another disadvantage vs. pets.

* Vauban armor increase.
eeeeh, I'd much rather increasing the base duration of the armor buff from Bastille.

* Chopping lowest tier rewards from pools.
Good. They were too low to be worth anything.

* Arcane changes.
"Intended to create a thing that can change the tide of combat" works fine in limited engagements, or in the goldilocks zone where player and enemy stats are juuust right.
Both of these are exceedingly rare in Warframe.
"Double-stacking made them happen way too often" - that thing I said above about reliability? Players like it. I'm really surprised that, as devs, you don't seem to.
Something reliable is something you can plan for and plan around.
On that note:
'A single max rank Proc resist arcanes now gives 100% resistence' - thank fk.

Things like Energize getting a short cooldown? I'm okay with that.

* Status changes.
Before anything else: As a player, you mod for the hardest enemy. This is trivial.
As such, as long as VIPs remain immune to status, status is kneecapped right out the gate.

Onward.
Shotgun status is broken. I'm thrilled to see it change.
That said, weapon stats and status chance increase mods have been designed with a ceiling of 100% achieveable in mind.
As it stands, (see [url=https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Weapon_Comparison]see here[/url], sort by status chance descending), in ascending order:
Daikyu, K. Ogris, M. Cernos and Miter can exceed 100% with 2 60/60s.
Exergis, P. Grinlok, Phantasma (Primary), Glaxion V, Quellor, Nagantaka and Strun W can exceed 100% with 3 60/60s.
That's 11 weapons out of how many?
To clarify, I'm not asking for buffs, per se, I'm wondering about the actual applicability and difference this'll bring to stacking status that isn't Slash/Gas/Corr.
Will see what this does to status chance on weapons, and status chance mods. Waiting to see the new stacking effects for all other status effects.
The big winners here, at a glance, are high status Weeping Wounds melees, and even then I'm not sure, because crit is just so potent.
So, on reflection, hybrid melees with Weeping Wounds and Blood Rush are probably the big winners.

* Increased FoV
Angelic choir sings

> 1:15:00 - Rebecca: "This is the Scarlet Spear".
> Operation icon sitting suggestively at the junction of Erra's legs knees.
I should probably lennyface, but mostly am just facepalming.

Stream was not boring, Steve. I'd be quite happy with more like this.
Cheers, folks.

Archived