Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some ideas about Chroma

EvanGallaway

I'm posting this in the Feedback section because it's a bit of a "response" to the current state of changes. They also commented about the fact that they had to choose about self-damage, a choice which I absolutely understand and agree with: seeing my Lenz bypassing Iron Skin and flying me in space wasn't the best. Or my teammates with the explosive exodia which ended with them downed somewhere around the map.

In any case, after reading the concerns of fellow Tenno about the fate of our Dragon Frame, it's clear that as soon as these changes drop, the meta will take another heavy shake. Shield Gating is going to slightly hinder Chroma's 3, and of course, the disappearance of self-damage will force him to rely on enemy damage (as Rhino, or Wukong, do). I don't know if this may be of help, but I was brainstorming a bit with my friend and I came up with some ideas that maybe would give better synergy to Chroma's abilities without having to rework him from the ground, 

1 - Spectral Scream deals little to no damage (although with the whole Status buff it may change), it feels unreliable; my idea was to have 1 synergize with 3; each enemy hit adds to Vex Armor's value, making him stronger and allowing him to use his 1 effectively. 

2 - Elemental Ward feels lackluster. Not only because of Chroma's heavy use in Plains of Eidolon/Orb Vallis, Warframe in general is a fast-paced game where the group can split up in a second and rejoin shortly after. We have an augment, yes, but i think it would be better, given that the game is growing bigger even in spaces, to have it at least give buffs in Affinity Range. The Affinity range would also prevent the annoying increase/decrease of HP with the Fire buff.  

3 - Vex Armor is essentially everything Chroma is about. I think it's fine the way it is - but also in this case, I'd give this ability Affinity Range so that Chroma can move freely. Even little maps (like some defenses, Pluto or Hydron, Sedna for example) force Chroma too close to his allies. 

4 - Effigy is... strange? I understand how it works, and I think it's a very nice CC, but it's also lackluster in my opinion. It could act like Wisp's Reservoirs, buffing allies all around, maximizing Chroma's bonuses and allowing him to extend his buffs range (maybe applying just a half of them?). 

I'm not a Chroma main, I just wanted to address some concerns I read all around. I wanted to maximize Chroma's support/buffer identity, without proposing to rework him from foundation. I think it's a good frame (I just prefer Rhino as a tanky support/buffer), but I also think he really needs to be looked at, and I join my fellow Tenno in saying that after these imminent changes he needs to be looked at even more. 

If this is the wrong section, I apologize! 

In any case, if you have thoughts, or things you would add, please do. 

• Like 1

I agree he needs a rework but the changes to shield gating and self damage are gonna do more than slightly hinder his 3 with shields getting a 25% damage reduction and the gating  it’ll be even  harder to get the damage buff and atleast wukong and rhino have invincibility during iron skin and defy..

He needs an actual passive some kind of elemental damage resistance would make sense or extra credits possibly.

His first ability is completely and utterly trash it just needs to go if anything it should be a chargeable projectile similar to embers fireball that scaling off range strength and duration that leaves behind a trail or field of whatever element he’s currently using(default fire) that would make it a decent CC ability and  provide better damage and build diversity.

Elemental ward is ok but should have a toggle ability like Vauban ivara titania and wisp the buffs also need a rework but I’m not gonna get into that 

Vex armor is ok but with the changes to self damage and shield gating the way things are looking we’ll mainly only be getting the armor buff lol and have to go through rings of fire to get the damage buff so maybe when he should get damage reduction and or % damage boost similar to rhinos roar?

Effigy just needs to to go lol nobody uses this ability and or builds around using it, the armor reduction is simply ridiculous and don’t even get me started on the energy cost for this garbage ability Just give him a new one or let him fly 

I’m not really a numbers guy either but chroma also needs an energy economy rework too 

21 hours ago, EvanGallaway said:

I'm posting this in the Feedback section because it's a bit of a "response" to the current state of changes. They also commented about the fact that they had to choose about self-damage, a choice which I absolutely understand and agree with: seeing my Lenz bypassing Iron Skin and flying me in space wasn't the best. Or my teammates with the explosive exodia which ended with them downed somewhere around the map.

In any case, after reading the concerns of fellow Tenno about the fate of our Dragon Frame, it's clear that as soon as these changes drop, the meta will take another heavy shake. Shield Gating is going to slightly hinder Chroma's 3, and of course, the disappearance of self-damage will force him to rely on enemy damage (as Rhino, or Wukong, do). I don't know if this may be of help, but I was brainstorming a bit with my friend and I came up with some ideas that maybe would give better synergy to Chroma's abilities without having to rework him from the ground, 

1 - Spectral Scream deals little to no damage (although with the whole Status buff it may change), it feels unreliable; my idea was to have 1 synergize with 3; each enemy hit adds to Vex Armor's value, making him stronger and allowing him to use his 1 effectively. 

2 - Elemental Ward feels lackluster. Not only because of Chroma's heavy use in Plains of Eidolon/Orb Vallis, Warframe in general is a fast-paced game where the group can split up in a second and rejoin shortly after. We have an augment, yes, but i think it would be better, given that the game is growing bigger even in spaces, to have it at least give buffs in Affinity Range. The Affinity range would also prevent the annoying increase/decrease of HP with the Fire buff.  

3 - Vex Armor is essentially everything Chroma is about. I think it's fine the way it is - but also in this case, I'd give this ability Affinity Range so that Chroma can move freely. Even little maps (like some defenses, Pluto or Hydron, Sedna for example) force Chroma too close to his allies. 

4 - Effigy is... strange? I understand how it works, and I think it's a very nice CC, but it's also lackluster in my opinion. It could act like Wisp's Reservoirs, buffing allies all around, maximizing Chroma's bonuses and allowing him to extend his buffs range (maybe applying just a half of them?). 

I'm not a Chroma main, I just wanted to address some concerns I read all around. I wanted to maximize Chroma's support/buffer identity, without proposing to rework him from foundation. I think it's a good frame (I just prefer Rhino as a tanky support/buffer), but I also think he really needs to be looked at, and I join my fellow Tenno in saying that after these imminent changes he needs to be looked at even more. 

If this is the wrong section, I apologize! 

In any case, if you have thoughts, or things you would add, please do. 

I have a few suggestions to how I think he can be improved with all the new changes.

1st ability - add tapping the button to make him send an elemental burst/blast that travels across the map and does more damage. 

2nd - definitely would like the range to increase some due to the maps getting bigger. But doubt much change would be made. Or even needed.

3rd - hold button to channel his shield then his health into his Vex Armor to increase the armor and damage buff. Similar to inaros and hildryn using their health/shield to even use an ability/s.

4th - allow the effigy to follow Chroma more closely. Augment allows effigy to be sent flying into hordes of enemies and deals an elemental explosive in the area where effigy lands before returning to chroma’s side. 

Synergy - Vex Armor buffs the damage of Effigy and Spectral Scream. Maybe not to the extent of weapon buffs but still enough to do noticeable damage. 

These improvements would definitely make me use his 1st and 4th abilities more often. But the enemy tankiness scaling currently makes only his 2nd and 3rd reliable. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

But the enemy tankiness scaling currently makes only his 2nd and 3rd reliable. 

Well, enemy tankiness is about to change, it seems. 

I like your idea about his 3, although that would make him dependent from a healer frame (or mods like Rejuvenation) to avoid being killed as soon as he charges the Vex Armor. XD

For Effigy, I just don't understand its passive. It looks completely random... 

Most of all I think he really needs a range buff. XD 

23 hours ago, EvanGallaway said:

Well, enemy tankiness is about to change, it seems. 

I like your idea about his 3, although that would make him dependent from a healer frame (or mods like Rejuvenation) to avoid being killed as soon as he charges the Vex Armor. XD

For Effigy, I just don't understand its passive. It looks completely random... 

Most of all I think he really needs a range buff. XD 

Well he already depends on some form of healing due to needing to take damage in the first place. If anything this would be a lot easier in missions where it is specific weapon only. You wouldn’t be forced to damage yourself or let other enemies take a chance to one shot you and such. Also you may have forgotten but his second ability with the fire attribute not only increases his health size, but it heals him too. Which is what most players use anyways. 

The change to his 3rd would only be easier and allow players to use whatever weapon they want with it without the update. The risks and such are still the same. Except for the fact that you’re not forced to let enemies damage you. 

But that is better than some possible nerf DE may create in order to make the ability itself easier to use. So Chroma fans wouldn’t have to change their play style. Think you may have slightly overthink it. 

For more details on the effigy, imagine you running around with your sentinel. That is literally how I picture Effigy functioning. Like a second sentinel that follows you every step you go and attacks those who come near you. And the augment mod currently used to make him somewhat move could be changed to be more of a command/launch attack for Effigy. Send your Effigy at the enemies. 

As much as anybody may want a range buff, that is literally why range mods exist. Now Mirage on the other hand is a different story. Her eclipse is not as powerful as Chroma’s yet is simple to use. But her ability has too many flaws. Literally one misstep and you’re dead in high level missions. But Chroma does not really need range. To add more range to such a powerful ability would make him OP. Players can choose to spread the buff for less strength or they can be stingy for more strength. Same could be said about Rhino. It’s too much.

Me, I simply have a Nidus build that focuses and the buffing of players like Chroma for a much more coordinated yet powerful team. A buddy of mine even has a range build for that purpose so that we can buff each other and the random 2 players that join our squad. 

The choice I made with the above suggestions is cause that is a way for Chroma to not be nerfed and Chroma mains would keep their style of playing. DE is not going to buff him up. Buffing his range would make him an OP teammate. And DE knows that. Same goes for every buffing frame. So I simply thought of how his third could somewhat remain the way it is. While also suggesting ways for players to actually use his 1st and 4th. People may think those suggestions are OP but they would drain a lot of energy. If players make an energy efficient build, then the synergy would help somewhat balance it out. 

Imo effigy should go from a channeled ability to be cancel/recastable duration based ability, following you would have its drawback if its innate (using it for defense points) so I think the augment should do that, along with giving the effigy additional power strength

As for a synergy, effigy could get an (50m for allies, 20m for enemies) aura based on elemental wards element

Cold: slow aura for enemies, speed increase for allies

Heat: damage debuff for enemies, damage buff for allies

Toxin: Toxin damage to allies, not sure about enemies (would work like toxic lash's buff)

Not sure what electricity would give, maybe the wisp mote style cc for enemies and shield recharge for allies or something

His 1 should allow him to switch between elements during the mission

Elemental ward for chroma should give better effects

Heat: In addition to bonus health it gives health regen

Cold: in addition to armor it gives status immunity

Electricity: In addition to shields it gives crit chance

Toxin: in addition to % health toxin damage it gives status chance

His passive could be either:

Stagger immunity

Energy given based on % health damage taken (Innate Rage)

Lower status effect duration on self 

Edited by Madway7